PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 Questions

danieljmaunder
06-05-14, 00:15
Hi Guys,

I am preparing to enlist in the Marine Corps, and I need to prepare with the handgun side of things, I am going to be taking a lot of classes and shooting a lot of rounds. My question are basically what are the preventative maintenance schedules and the various parts I need to keep an eye on,

Thanks,

Maunder

Grand58742
06-05-14, 01:03
Define "a lot." And the Marines on board here will probably correct me, but Marines are riflemen first. Pistols are not as prevalent, job dependent of course. So other than being high speed, low drag, I'm not sure you will need as much preparation for that sort of thing.

But for the Beretta...the locking block should be checked for cracks. The slide obviously. Check the frame and rails for cracks. You can replace the plastic guide rod (if you so desire) with a steel aftermarket one. Wolff makes a good aftermarket guide rod.

Otherwise, oil rails, shoot, clean, repeat. Afterwards, might I suggest to chase girls, be young, spend time with family and enjoy your time before the Marines.

sinlessorrow
06-05-14, 02:03
Define "a lot." And the Marines on board here will probably correct me, but Marines are riflemen first. Pistols are not as prevalent, job dependent of course. So other than being high speed, low drag, I'm not sure you will need as much preparation for that sort of thing.

But for the Beretta...the locking block should be checked for cracks. The slide obviously. Check the frame and rails for cracks. You can replace the plastic guide rod (if you so desire) with a steel aftermarket one. Wolff makes a good aftermarket guide rod.

Otherwise, oil rails, shoot, clean, repeat. Afterwards, might I suggest to chase girls, be young, spend time with family and enjoy your time before the Marines.

Don't the Marines have the M9A1 with the Gen 3 locking blocks? If so those things are beastly, but any prior gen locking block must be kept up and replaced.

bzdog
06-05-14, 02:29
I don't know how it fits into a regular maint. schedule, but I found that eventually crud built up under the extractor and I didn't realize it was happening. This resulted in malfunctions until someone clued me in. I then removed the extractor, cleaned it out and reassembled. Pesto fixo.

I'm sure it doesn't need to be done often, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Good luck!

-john

Grand58742
06-05-14, 03:05
Don't the Marines have the M9A1 with the Gen 3 locking blocks? If so those things are beastly, but any prior gen locking block must be kept up and replaced.

They purchased a batch of M9A1s, but I think it was supplemental to existing M9 stocks. R0N probably has the best info on that.

Sam
06-05-14, 04:58
Maunder,

What state are you in? On the training side, seek out instructions from Ernest Langdon of Langdon Tactical. He is the grand guru on the use and maintenance on the Beretta. He was also a Marine.

On the gun, stock up on spare locking blocks, recoil springs, hammer springs (look for D springs, they will help lighten the double action pull without sacrificing ignition reliability) and steel guide rod. Just make sure that your armorer don't know you have those parts.

pterrell
06-05-14, 07:20
Maunder, you will not be trained on a Berretta for several years with a few small exceptions. I would not go out of your way to pay for any training right now.

For those asking about the M9A1, yes, the Marine Corps bought some but standard issue is still the M9.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Stengun
06-05-14, 11:11
Howdy,

Like others have posted, unless you are going into a career field where you know you are going to be issued a P9 I wouldn't bother.

Even if you are going to be an MP you still will rarely ever shoot a handgun except for a little practice and to qualify.

Heck, depending on your career field, you could send 20 years in the Marines and never shoot the M9.

When I was in the Air Force we would have the as we called them "Paper pushers" want to train with the M-16 and the S&W Model 15 .38. Not because they wanted to know how to shoot but so they could get a Markman's ribbon for both the rifle and handgun. Several times the RM would just sign their paperwork and send them on their way.

Paul

pterrell
06-05-14, 11:17
You will qualify on the m16 every year. You will shoot at 200, 300, and 500 yards from different positions utilizing a loop sling. Don't go and get training before you go. You will be taught and it's better if you don't have bad habits ahead of time.

And OP, just so you aren't thinking I'm some random Joe Shmo that may or may not know what I'm talking about, I'm an active duty Marine and a marksmanship coach. It's much easier to build good habits from the beginning then break bad ones and then build good ones.

Grand58742
06-05-14, 11:33
You will qualify on the m16 every year. You will shoot at 200, 300, and 500 years from different positions utilizing a loop sling. Don't go and get training before you go. You will be taught and it's better if you don't have bad habits ahead of time.

And OP, just so you aren't thinking I'm some random Joe Shmo that may or may not know what I'm talking about, I'm an active duty Marine and a marksmanship coach. It's much easier to build good habits from the beginning then break bad ones and then build good ones.

You know, I understand they say you're a Marine for life, but that's a little absurd :D

pterrell
06-05-14, 11:34
How is that absurd?

Grand58742
06-05-14, 11:37
How is that absurd?

Years? (probably meant yards)

Joke my friend.

pterrell
06-05-14, 11:38
Years? (probably meant yards)

Joke my friend.

Doh! Caught me sir. Fixing now haha

Grand58742
06-05-14, 11:42
Doh! Caught me sir. Fixing now haha

Slightly OT question, but for the Marines that carry an M4, is it the same course of fire as the rifle? Same ranges, scoring and whatnot?

pterrell
06-05-14, 11:44
Slightly OT question, but for the Marines that carry an M4, is it the same course of fire as the rifle? Same ranges and whatnot?

Yes it is. You are expected to do the same qual regardless of the rifle issued.

DanjojoUSMC
06-05-14, 13:16
Just make sure you have good magazines and enjoy

Beat Trash
06-05-14, 14:56
I agree with what has already been posted.

While your enthusiasm is to be commended, let the instructors teach you their methods. Go into it with an open mind. The Marine Corps actually does know a thing or two about rifle marksmanship.

If you already own a Beretta 92fs, then you can learn the basics on that pistol, as in how to field strip it, ect. Any extensive training with a pistol will be MOS dependent. In my day, it was a 1911, but same concept.

The best thing you can do right now to prepare yourself is to workout and run.

Good luck...

VT1032
06-05-14, 18:39
Just my $.02, and I'm not a marine, I'm an Lt. in the army national guard, but I wouldn't worry so much about this sort of stuff just yet. I get it, I'm a gun nut too and shooting is one of those things I really looked forward to when joining, but they are going to teach you their way, by the numbers and there will be nothing high speed or low drag about it. Once you make it through basic, pursue all the training you can; in my experience, military handgun training is about 20 years behind the curve so that's something to pursue eventually if you use a pistol a lot. Right now though, you have many more things that can make you a better boot then whether you can shoot an M9 (which you'll probably rarely shoot as has been said).

Biggest thing is PT, PT, PT and PT some more. The better shape you are in, the better off you will be. Learn the basic stuff like what the ranks are and all that crap your recruiter told you to memorize. If you want to practice anything firearms related, I would suggest slow fire in the prone, standing and kneeling with an iron sighted AR. on man sized targets out to 500m or simulated targets (look up the army alt c. target). Not sure if the marines use an RCO or something to qualify, but irons are how I learned. I wouldn't worry too much about pre training as you are going to be training there, that's the point.

pterrell
06-05-14, 18:45
I learned irons sir. We've fully moved to RCO now so it isn't taught except to coaches and PMIs.

The Marine Corps also has updated their pistol training program and it's very legit. No more green holsters and slow precise shots. More combat type engagement from a drop leg holster (think USPSA).

VT1032
06-05-14, 18:49
I miss the irons. CCO is nice, but I actually liked my M16A2...

Like I said, I only know the army side of things, but the pistol training we did at bolc was sort of a joke. they still taught the tea cup grip and everything...

pterrell
06-05-14, 18:57
Haha wow. We were teaching Weaver last year. Now it's all isosceles.

Wolvee
06-05-14, 19:56
Better to concentrate on your PT, General Orders and marine & navy Rank structures than firearms.

Oh and learn how to put on your socks real fast. (Hint: wake up before reveille.)

R0N
06-05-14, 21:02
Marine Corps has a mix of M9A1s and M9s but unless you are an O6, MP, air crew, part of a recapture recovery tactics team, tanker, a Marine Embassy Security Guard and a few other limited billets the chances of you get a pistol is pretty remote. About a 5 years ago most billets that had a M9 as their TO/E weapon were changed to M4s.

Most pistols in division now are as required weapons and set aside for SNCOs and Officers to be duel armed when needed.

Stengun
06-06-14, 10:51
Howdy,

Better to concentrate on your PT, General Orders and marine & navy Rank structures than firearms.

Oh and learn how to put on your socks real fast. (Hint: wake up before reveille.)

+1 on the PT!

Paul

walkin' trails
06-07-14, 07:14
Not a Marine - former Army Reserve officer - like others have said, concentrate on PT. It will get you thru boot camp a lot better than pistol training. A friend of mine's son graduated boot at MCRD SD last fall and didn't get near a pistol. Marines still consider themselves riflemen first, regarded of MOS, and they've always prided themselves on rifle marksmanship skills. Get "The Art of the Rifle" by the late Jeff Cooper and read that before you go. Amazon or Paladin should have it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk