PDA

View Full Version : Another Campus Shooting: Seattle Pacific University

tog
06-05-14, 18:11
Here we go again folks. Sure hate to see this happening: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/05/shooting-at-seattle-pacific-university/

FlyingHunter
06-05-14, 18:31
Another FAIL for the "Gun Free Zone" experiment.

5 wounded, 2 possibly serious condition - including suspect as of the 07:30 EST news.

Suspect captured. Apparently used Shotgun.

Local channel updates in Seattle: http://www.komonews.com/

I send prayers to all of the victims and families.

Moose-Knuckle
06-05-14, 19:15
Ahh yes another one of these "random mass shooters who take SSRIs and can't get laid" takes VP Joe Biden up on his personal choice in firearms.

'Merica . . .

jerrysimons
06-05-14, 22:36
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/05/shooting-at-seattle-pacific-university/

One person was killed and three others were injured Thursday in a shooting on the campus of Seattle Pacific University that ended after a student disarmed the gunman.

Seattle police said at an afternoon press conference that the shooter entered a campus building with a shotgun and shot three students before he was pepper-sprayed by a student building monitor. Other students jumped on top of the gunman and held him until authorities arrived.

Bravo!

Moose-Knuckle
06-06-14, 00:11
Seattle police said at an afternoon press conference that the shooter entered a campus building with a shotgun and shot three students before he was pepper-sprayed by a student building monitor. Other students jumped on top of the gunman and held him until authorities arrived.

They should have stomped him to death.

fixit69
06-06-14, 00:16
We could only wish...

Phillygunguy
06-06-14, 08:44
Its an Election year so this will be reported more and more unfortunately

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 08:47
Mass media won't do a thing with this - shotgun, gun free zone, taken down by students using pepperspray. All fail boat arguments for the anti's.

markm
06-06-14, 08:49
Could have been worse if the imbecile would have picked something more lethal than a bird gun.

Fortunately most of these whackos are libtards who have no serious gun knowledge or ability.

Koshinn
06-06-14, 09:04
Mass media won't do a thing with this - shotgun, gun free zone, taken down by students using pepperspray. All fail boat arguments for the anti's.

Other ways to spin it:

You don't need guns to defend yourself, you only need pepperspray!

He was stopped when he was reloading! That's why box magazine fed firearms are so dangerous - if the shooter has to load individual rounds every time you reload, it gives the victims a chance to stop the shooter.

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 09:16
Other ways to spin it:

You don't need guns to defend yourself, you only need pepperspray!

He was stopped when he was reloading! That's why box magazine fed firearms are so dangerous - if the shooter has to load individual rounds every time you reload, it gives the victims a chance to stop the shooter.

Invalid arguments since its a shotgun. Are they going to go after shotguns? Fudds will love that.

Koshinn
06-06-14, 09:43
Invalid arguments since its a shotgun. Are they going to go after shotguns? Fudds will love that.

No, it's a great argument because it was a shotgun.

Shotguns with typically non-box-magazine-fed design take longer to reload and have less magazine capacity. Because of this, people with only pepperspray could take down the shotgun user before too many people were injured and killed.

Rifles with box-magazine-fed-designs spend minimal time reloading and tend to accumulate much more injuries and deaths.

Everyone would be happy if all mass-shootings were like this, with 5 injured, maybe only 1 death. The libs are very happy that the shooter was stopped without the victims needing a firearm.

If anything, this shooting is perfect ammunition for the anti-gunners. It's proof that if rifles are banned, crazy people with shotguns can be stopped easy. And it's proof that you do not need a gun to defend yourself against someone with a gun. This story can be used as an example of why semi-auto rifles should be carefully controlled, why magazines should have low capacity limits, and why concealed carry is not necessary... because this is a success story.

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 10:12
No, it's a great argument because it was a shotgun.

Shotguns with typically non-box-magazine-fed design take longer to reload and have less magazine capacity. Because of this, people with only pepperspray could take down the shotgun user before too many people were injured and killed.

Rifles with box-magazine-fed-designs spend minimal time reloading and tend to accumulate much more injuries and deaths.

Everyone would be happy if all mass-shootings were like this, with 5 injured, maybe only 1 death. The libs are very happy that the shooter was stopped without the victims needing a firearm.

If anything, this shooting is perfect ammunition for the anti-gunners. It's proof that if rifles are banned, crazy people with shotguns can be stopped easy. And it's proof that you do not need a gun to defend yourself against someone with a gun. This story can be used as an example of why semi-auto rifles should be carefully controlled, why magazines should have low capacity limits, and why concealed carry is not necessary... because this is a success story.

I am tracking.

Issue is, still an "active shooting" with a shotgun, which is pretty much hands off for anti's since the fudds love their shotguns. They start attacking shotguns and before they know it every "hunter" in the North America will be anti them.

Koshinn
06-06-14, 10:22
I am tracking.

Issue is, still an "active shooting" with a shotgun, which is pretty much hands off for anti's since the fudds love their shotguns. They start attacking shotguns and before they know it every "hunter" in the North America will be anti them.

There is no way that competent anti-gun strategists will go after shotguns.

That's assuming a lot... competent and anti-gun strategist at the same time is a lot to ask for... but if I were one, I'd say that this shows that shotguns do less damage than mass-knife-stabbings. The 2A has always been held that it's ok to allow some types of arms and disallow other types of arms... so I'd say to allow pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles, but ban everything else. This shooting is a perfect reason why.

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 10:35
There is no way that competent anti-gun strategists will go after shotguns.

That's assuming a lot... competent and anti-gun strategist at the same time is a lot to ask for... but if I were one, I'd say that this shows that shotguns do less damage than mass-knife-stabbings. The 2A has always been held that it's ok to allow some types of arms and disallow other types of arms... so I'd say to allow pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles, but ban everything else. This shooting is a perfect reason why.

Then when someone who knows (by watching youtube) how to run a shotgun starts wrecking people with 00 buck and flight stabilizer's, then what are they gana say...."we were wrong?"

They are on board the USS fail boat and this is just another wave.

Koshinn
06-06-14, 10:42
Then when someone who knows (by watching youtube) how to run a shotgun starts wrecking people with 00 buck and flight stabilizer's, then what are they gana say...."we were wrong?"

They are on board the USS fail boat and this is just another wave.

You never admit defeat, you redirect and move on!

It's frustrating how many people fall for that.

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 10:46
You never admit defeat, you redirect and move on!

It's frustrating how many people fall for that.

That's politics, 101.

102 is making them think they are wrong, even though they are right.

alvincullumyork
06-06-14, 11:21
According to Facebook the hero with the pepper spray appears to be a gun guy. I saw his page briefly, I think it's down now, and he had a lot of gun "likes".

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/06/us/seattle-hero-profile

"Carried pepper spray just in case."

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.

skijunkie55
06-06-14, 13:11
And on a related note of shootings this week - didn't want to start another thread...

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/deputy-shot-forsyth-co-courthouse/ngFsf/

Forsyth County Sheriff Duane Piper said the shooter, Dennis Marx, walked into Forsyth County Administration Building on East Main Street at about 10:30 a.m. and opened fire. He was armed with an assault rifle, according to authorities. Prior to walking inside, Piper said Marx threw stop sticks on the road so that cars could not approach....

....The gunman's attorney told Channel 2 she was representing him until Thursday, when she withdrew because he was unsatisfied with her negotiating skills. He was due in court on Friday for marijuana and firearms charges. The attorney said the man was a gun buyer and trader.

The attorney said she asked the man to undergo a psychological evaluation, but he refused.

Again, how did he not get picked up BEFORE he started shooting??? Drug possession and firearm charges?? And he's free to keep his guns and do whatever he wants?

jpmuscle
06-06-14, 14:15
Gun buyer and trader eh? May as well of been a full blown terrorist then.

At any rate sounds like someone somewhere dropped the ball, again..

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

WillBrink
06-06-14, 14:27

I'd be interested to know what the policy was for that pepper spray. That would be useful intel in terms of if student broke school policy or not lead to saving lives. Anyone know that intel?

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 14:40
I'd be interested to know what the policy was for that pepper spray. That would be useful intel in terms of if student broke school policy or not lead to saving lives. Anyone know that intel?

http://www.spu.edu/acad/UGCatalog/20101/GeneralInfo/StudentLife/standards.asp

13. Possession, use or display on University property of any firearms, weapons, fireworks, live ammunition, incendiary devices, or other items that are potentially hazardous to members of the campus community.

"Other items potentially hazardous to members of the campus" seems pretty vague, but if you take it at face value, spray would be on that list.

WillBrink
06-06-14, 14:48

13. Possession, use or display on University property of any firearms, weapons, fireworks, live ammunition, incendiary devices, or other items that are potentially hazardous to members of the campus community.

"Other items potentially hazardous to members of the campus" seems pretty vague, but if you take it at face value, spray would be on that list.

My my, what a PR problem for that school. Stupid policy meets the real wold, and lives are saved. How will they handle it? :rolleyes:

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 15:21
My my, what a PR problem for that school. Stupid policy meets the real wold, and lives are saved. How will they handle it? :rolleyes:

Seeing has how they have a policy for "scripture" to guide moral and ethical conduct.

Because, you know, that's going to work at a college.

Moose-Knuckle
06-06-14, 15:26
I could honestly see the school, some libtard group, etc. attempt to say that the students had no right to use pepper spray and defend themselves that they broke protocol and should have "sheltered in place" as instructed and waited for the police because somehow they could have escalated the situation. This is our enemies’ mentality.

Moose-Knuckle
06-06-14, 15:27
double tap.

alvincullumyork
06-06-14, 16:47
Turns out Jon Meis is engaged and his gift registry is online and people are buying stuff for him!

http://m.kirotv.com/news/news/jon-meis-seattle-pacific-university-student-who-st/ngF3J/

http://www.theknot.com/wedding/Kaylie-and-Jon

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.

WillBrink
06-06-14, 18:07
This shocking news just in, the shooter had a long history of mental illness. Guns, that's the problem to address. :rolleyes:

Voodoo_Man
06-06-14, 18:17
This shocking news just in, the shooter had a long history of mental illness. Guns, that's the problem to address. :rolleyes:

Well we need more common sense gun laws in order to stop the crazy people from doing crazy things with their constitutionally protected rights.

Koshinn
06-06-14, 19:30
Well we need more common sense gun laws in order to stop the crazy people from doing crazy things with their constitutionally protected rights.

Well, many people actually want to remove that right from mentally unstable people.

Do they not have the right to defend themselves and their country, even if a small small small percentage end up as mass shooters?

jpmuscle
06-06-14, 20:12
Mental illness doesn't automatically correlate to dangerousness folks. Their separate psycholegal constructs, just to note.

Sensei
06-06-14, 20:42
Well, many people actually want to remove that right from mentally unstable people.

Do they not have the right to defend themselves and their country, even if a small small small percentage end up as mass shooters?

Correct, I do not want anyone who is, to use your term, "unstable" possessing firearms. In fact, I don't want unstable people driving in my neighborhood, making my hamburger, or interacting with me or my family in any way. That is because unstable people are, by definition, incapable of performing the activities of daily living or reliably following the 4 rule of safe firearm use. If you don't believe me, then ask Chris Kyle how gun therapy for the unstable works. Having said that, a majority of people with a mental illness are actually stable and well organized citizens.

I do want unstable people monitored, treated, and/or cared for by their families or private charities. Once they are well and stable, then they can rejoin society as organized, contributing members. Remember, the Second Amendment starts with, "A well organized militia." Unfortunately, God did not make all of us well organized.

SeriousStudent
06-06-14, 22:17
Turns out Jon Meis is engaged and his gift registry is online and people are buying stuff for him!

http://m.kirotv.com/news/news/jon-meis-seattle-pacific-university-student-who-st/ngF3J/

http://www.theknot.com/wedding/Kaylie-and-Jon

Thanks for posting that. The Crate and Barrel registry was already full, but I was able to get an item off the Target list.

alvincullumyork
06-06-14, 23:05
Thanks for posting that. The Crate and Barrel registry was already full, but I was able to get an item off the Target list.

I'm surprised anything was left at all.

SeriousStudent
06-06-14, 23:34
I'm surprised anything was left at all.

Me too. Pyrex is not a substitute for buying the young fellow a good pistol class, but until I can contribute to that, it will have to do.

WillBrink
06-07-14, 08:15

I'm tracking. Do go on. :neo:

WillBrink
06-07-14, 08:20
Mental illness doesn't automatically correlate to dangerousness folks. Their separate psycholegal constructs, just to note.

Agreed and noted. We need appropriate focus and funding to help those with mental illnesses, not simply stigmatize and ignore them.

Irish
06-07-14, 12:11

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know of a case where a student has defended themselves or another with a gun on campus? Most states it's against the law to CCW on campus, Utah is a definite exception, but I'm curious if anyone knows about a "law breaker" "saving the day" type of thing?

Voodoo_Man
06-07-14, 12:42
Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know of a case where a student has defended themselves or another with a gun on campus? Most states it's against the law to CCW on campus, Utah is a definite exception, but I'm curious if anyone knows about a "law breaker" "saving the day" type of thing?

I believe there was one where a teacher had a gun in his car, went and got it during a shooting and killed the shooter. But I cant remember the name.

Irish
06-07-14, 12:45
I believe there was one where a teacher had a gun in his car, went and got it during a shooting and killed the shooter. But I cant remember the name.

Thanks. I'm interested in using an event like that as a case study. Investigate the laws of the particular area, the shooting event, and the aftermath, legal battle, etc.

Basically, I'm trying to find something positive to hitch my wagon to in terms of campus CCW. It got shot down last year in NV but I'm not giving up hope.

SeriousStudent
06-07-14, 12:56

I remember that one, it was a high school assistant principal. In this case, he apprehended the shooter and took him alive.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/how-an-assistant-principal-with-a-gun-stopped-a-school-shooter/

Maybe there was another as well?

Voodoo_Man
06-07-14, 13:13
Thanks. I'm interested in using an event like that as a case study. Investigate the laws of the particular area, the shooting event, and the aftermath, legal battle, etc.

Basically, I'm trying to find something positive to hitch my wagon to in terms of campus CCW. It got shot down last year in NV but I'm not giving up hope.

All instances I can recall of a shooter being confronted on a college campus was either by an off duty police officer, a teacher going to their vehicle to get their vehicle or non-firearm weapons used against the shooter. Issue is that youll need to find a place that allowed a person to carry a firearm legally on campus, which are extremely far and few and then have a shooting occur where they responded.

There have been instances where ccw holders carried into a mall which was no carry and confronted a shooter. I believe one happened last year and before that a few years ago, I cant remember the names.

Voodoo_Man
06-07-14, 13:15
I remember that one, it was a high school assistant principal. In this case, he apprehended the shooter and took him alive.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/how-an-assistant-principal-with-a-gun-stopped-a-school-shooter/

I believe there was another one.

Maybe it was a church, honestly, it all blends together and I dont make a habit out of remembering these types of situations.

Irish
06-07-14, 13:18
Issue is that youll need to find a place that allowed a person to carry a firearm legally on campus, which are extremely far and few and then have a shooting occur where they responded.

Maybe I'm not being clear, sorry... I'd actually like to find a case where a person was illegally CCW'ing on a college campus and was able to intervene and save lives. I've never heard of an incident like I'm proposing and that's why I was seeking help.

ETA - More than likely it's never happened.

Irish
06-07-14, 13:18

Thank you sir.

SeriousStudent
06-07-14, 13:32
I believe there was another one.

Maybe it was a church, honestly, it all blends together and I dont make a habit out of remembering these types of situations.

There was that church security guard in Colorado that put down an active shooter. She was a former cop.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/12/10/colorado-church-gunman-had-grudge-against-christian-group-cops-say/

Voodoo_Man
06-07-14, 14:56
I do not remember any that were illegally carrying but legally used them in defense of life.

I know a few local cases which never made the news where the "stand your ground" type defense was used (castle law here) for those who were illegally carrying but legally shot and killed someone trying to kill them.

jpmuscle
06-07-14, 17:08
Apparently after the registry was filled someone started a crowd funding pool for Mr. Meis and his fiancé.

http://www.gofundme.com/9zzc58

SeriousStudent
06-07-14, 23:52
Almost $35K donated in one day.

If he and his fiance have student loans, that will be a very nice payment on them.

alvincullumyork
06-09-14, 12:45
Statement from Jon Meis.

http://m.kirotv.com/news/news/spu-shooting-hero-jon-meis-releases-statement/ngG9x/

montanadave
06-09-14, 13:18
Statement from Jon Meis.

http://m.kirotv.com/news/news/spu-shooting-hero-jon-meis-releases-statement/ngG9x/

He may resist the label hero, but his actions and his words leave little doubt he is a courageous and compassionate young man.

tog
06-09-14, 14:01
Me too. Pyrex is not a substitute for buying the young fellow a good pistol class, but until I can contribute to that, it will have to do.

Pyrex is great!

alvincullumyork
06-09-14, 18:32
He may resist the label hero, but his actions and his words leave little doubt he is a courageous and compassionate young man.

Agreed