PDA

View Full Version : whats the consensus on Arms 40lp?

chef8489
06-05-14, 19:35
In the past i have used this site and was quite fond of it. I am building my current rifle after not having one in 6 years or so and planning my front and rear buis. Not alot of talk about the arms any longer, so what do you think of these sights.

Kain
06-05-14, 19:40
Googling A.R.M.S. on here will get you a lot of facts and not a lot of love on here. That said, their BUIS are alright in my opinion, I have used the model you are referring to and have the #40 model somewhere and it is the only A.R.M.S. accessory that I have left after having owned a rail, mount, and a few other odds and ends, but for the money there are a lot of better options that can be had for the same or less money nowadays that are generally better thought of and while I wouldn't feel under equipped with one there are others that I would rather have given my choices.

kdcgrohl
06-06-14, 10:22
I don't care for the company for the obvious reasons, nor do I currently own any of their products.
I have however used the #40L sight and regardless of the A.R.M.S.Hate, it is a damn good sight. I doubt you'll find many who have actually used that sight will have any disparaging remarks about it.

C4IGrant
06-06-14, 10:24
In the past i have used this site and was quite fond of it. I am building my current rifle after not having one in 6 years or so and planning my front and rear buis. Not alot of talk about the arms any longer, so what do you think of these sights.

They are just ok at best. We have seen them break if dropped. There are better sights out there.

C4

chef8489
06-06-14, 10:48
Thanks for all the replys. I guess i missed all the drama and cant find much on it. If anyone wants to explain what all happened in a pm please do. Now i am looking at the magpul pro. They are about the same price point.

Malig8r
06-06-14, 12:25
Now i am looking at the magpul pro. They are about the same price point.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/magpul-mbus-pro-front-rear-sight-combo-set.html

On sale for $124 at the link above.

walkin' trails
06-07-14, 22:14
I have a 40L on my newest gun. It's okay, but I prefer the GG&G. It's more what I'm used to than anything else.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Guntrician
06-08-14, 01:32
I still have a couple 40LPs. They have been a good functional sight but there are better options. The Magpul Pro is one of them. I prefer it over the A.R.M.S.

BC520
06-09-14, 00:48
I used an ARMS 40L a decade ago. A back up sight by its very nature is used in an emergency, probably at distances that could be considered close. As such, a folding sight used for emergencies should not have to require the shooter to also flip the small aperature out of the way in order to use the large one-again in an emergency. If left up, its not an issue. It will not fold down that way though. There are other small issues with it, there are better choices. Plus Dick Swan's politics and lawsuits have much to be desired. There are better options.
Spend the extra money and get either the Troy or BCM rear sight. It won't matter which one is used then.

chef8489
06-09-14, 08:50
I used an ARMS 40L a decade ago. A back up sight by its very nature is used in an emergency, probably at distances that could be considered close. As such, a folding sight used for emergencies should not have to require the shooter to also flip the small aperature out of the way in order to use the large one-again in an emergency. If left up, its not an issue. It will not fold down that way though. There are other small issues with it, there are better choices. Plus Dick Swan's politics and lawsuits have much to be desired. There are better options.
Spend the extra money and get either the Troy or BCM rear sight. It won't matter which one is used then.

That makes no sense when the majority of rear sights use the small aperature. Ideally the large is used for low light wituations, where the small is more accurate. Thats why the kac and matec only have the small and the others you have to switch between them. Anyhow i have decided not to go with the arms and most likely go with magpul.

Hispanic_Hercules
06-09-14, 11:35
I concur with everyone above. ARMS products were great five to six years ago, but nowadays there are so many other mfrs out there with better pricing and same to better quality. I own some ARMS sites such as the 40 L and 41 BL folding front sight, but then I also have lWRC, Magpul, DD, Troy, Larue and they are all just as good if not better. Up to you what you want to spend and what works for your build.

BC520
06-09-14, 13:59
Chef8489, you answered your own question. Ideally the large is used for low light situations or close ranges of 0-200 yards. So if the BUIS is needed for low light, which is also quite a bit of the time if you're LE, using it for home defense at night, etc, you're not going to want to have to use a fingernail to also flip the small aperture out of the way. If the threat is closer in distance, say 25-75 yards, which is also where most deadly force engagements occur at least in the LE world, you have less time to react to sudden issues of needing a rear sight. Again, do I also want to have to take the time to flip the small aperture out of the way when the threat is close, and/or in lower light? If the threat is further away, I have time to flip up the small aperture (if needed). It's why Troy, BCM, MI, and Samson have theirs default to the large aperture, and Troy happens to sell quite a few sights. Magpul also has the ability to fold the small aperture forward so it can default to the large, and minimally affect optics if doing so. The ARMS 40L cannot do that.