PDA

View Full Version : Shield trigger guard

Hedgelj
06-06-14, 11:56
My wife is taking some classes with her shield and she is finding that the texture under the trigger guard starts rubbing her middle finger raw as the round count goes up.

Any suggestions?
I saw a video on removing it with sand paper and then going finger and finger and finishing with a wet polish. Is that the only option?

Anyone else run into this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

signal4l
06-06-14, 12:07
The first thing I did to mine was to get some 100 grit sandpaper and smooth that out. I didnt wet sand. I spent less than 2 minutes doing this. Very easy mod

ST911
06-07-14, 08:31
The texturing under the trigger guard is a common complaint, but it's easily removed. I've seen several that were polished off with a little sandpaper or dremel.

PatrioticDisorder
06-07-14, 08:35
Exactly why I had my M&Ps undercut and stippled (no stippling where it's undercut) and it makes a big difference.

Supergyro
06-07-14, 13:01
It's the primary reason why I undercut the triggerguard on my CORE.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/Supergyro/2014-06-06195306_zpsd9715fa1.jpg
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/Supergyro/2014-06-06195249_zps3659b0dc.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Kchen986
06-07-14, 14:23
I used this video for mine. Worked pretty well, except I believe I finished it off with something like a 3,000 grit sandpaper to do the finishing touches (and restore the color back to black).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUi8JtGKVI

Hedgelj
06-09-14, 19:59
Thank you, the video was very helpful.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

J_B
06-10-14, 08:23
My buddy undercut his Shield and it felt much better so I had him do mine as well as stipple it since it felt so slick

Magsz
06-10-14, 11:45
Someone really needs to tell S&W that their factory texturing and the location of said texturing is some of the worst on the market. :(

TehLlama
06-10-14, 13:38
Someone really needs to tell S&W that their factory texturing and the location of said texturing is some of the worst on the market. :(

Yup. Probably could pay MagPul 25k to come and give it a look, revise the thing, and then release it as it's own model. That would obsolete all the others, it would be so much better.

RWCRaiden
06-10-14, 17:12
I really didn't think it was that big of an issue. It never bothered me.

TehLlama
06-10-14, 21:58
I don't find it to be much of an issue either, but I also never had much issue with most products that predate MagPul bling-ification, yet after buying the Magpul version I won't go back.

ST911
06-10-14, 23:01

They know. That observation is pretty consistent in feedback. The lighter texturing appeals to gun owners and the casual CCW crowd who will gig a gun that wears their clothing or chafes their hands. Gun owners, not shooters, are the majority of the market.

Magsz
06-11-14, 10:08
They know. That observation is pretty consistent in feedback. The lighter texturing appeals to gun owners and the casual CCW crowd who will gig a gun that wears their clothing or chafes their hands. Gun owners, not shooters, are the majority of the market.

Oh, i agree but every time we bring out an M&P in our classes with new students they all have the same feedback/question. "Why does this pistol hurt my middle finger?".

I wonder when we will see a "gen 2" M&P. If they were smart they would redesign the frames and offer "upgrade" kits. They could recoup their tooling costs in the blink of an eye if they sold just the frames. Granted, the pistols are selling well and they're "good" enough i supposed so the bean counters over at S&W will probably never let this happen.

RWCRaiden
06-12-14, 18:59
I've fired over 300 rounds through my shield last range trip and had no issue with the trigger guard. Everything felt great.

ritepath
06-12-14, 21:23
I had the same issue with my shield the first time out, not that it wore off a layer of skin but just felt overly aggressive to my finger. Next trip I didn't notice it, and haven't since...I put 150 rounds through it Tuesday while trying to modify my grip and didn't notice it then either.

I did notice with my new grip the texture needs a little work, now that the weather is getting warmer, seems a little slickery feeling compared to the XDS or pro.

I wouldn't mind undercutting the trigger guard it looks like it would improve the feel...