PDA

View Full Version : RTS options

GH41
06-06-14, 18:45
My do everything rifle sports a Luppy 1.25x4 w/SPR ret but I feel naked without a BUIS !!! I can afford KAC but don't want a folding sight. The Dueck sight looks good but I am weight sensitive and they are heavy! Does anyone have experience with the GG&G RTS?? I am not looking for a precision long range iron sight. If the range of adjustment will allow a 35yd spray and pray zero I will be satisfied. GH

GH41
06-11-14, 20:04
I guess I am alone here! GH

CoryCop25
06-11-14, 20:26
If you are talking about their off set sights, they are a well built, cheaper option than the KAC off set sights. They retail around $160. They do not fold down and do not have as much adjustment like the KAC sights but they are solid.

MistWolf
06-11-14, 22:57
I feel naked without a BUIS !!!

Shoot the rifle as is for awhile- it's ok to go Commando

cemoulton
06-11-14, 23:09
http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993113&CAT=8279

Some people find them to low, but they are perfect for both my wife's and my face shape.

GH41
06-12-14, 15:40
If you are talking about their off set sights, they are a well built, cheaper option than the KAC off set sights. They retail around $160. They do not fold down and do not have as much adjustment like the KAC sights but they are solid.

I want fixed but I do worry about the range of adjustment. I want to mount the rear behind my scope mount and the front on the end of the KMR. Thanks for your input. GH

CoryCop25
06-12-14, 16:10
I want fixed but I do worry about the range of adjustment. I want to mount the rear behind my scope mount and the front on the end of the KMR. Thanks for your input. GH

I would say that they have the same adjustment as A1 sights or the Daniel Defense A1.5 sights.

Voodoo_Man
06-12-14, 16:19
http://i.imgur.com/cdwVFZoh.jpg

KAC or go home.

cemoulton
06-14-14, 19:54

KAC or go home.

I have 2 problems with the kacs.

The front sight post is to small and hard to see in bad light (for me).
and
I want my qcb sights to be ready rfn so to me flip ups seem out of place for this role.

kremtok
06-14-14, 21:02

KAC or go home.

I've looked at some of KAC's offerings, but like the person below, I'd prefer to have fixed front and rear sights over flip-ups. What are your thoughts on running the KAC sights up all the time? Seems like snags might be an issue, but I'd be interested to hear your experience.

I have 2 problems with the kacs.

The front sight post is to small and hard to see in bad light (for me).
and
I want my qcb sights to be ready rfn so to me flip ups seem out of place for this role.

That's actually what I'm hoping to find: non-polymer, low profile, keymod direct attach BUIS. All of my Google-fu has failed me, so if you find something please let me know. The XS sights posted above are closest to what I'd like, but I'd really rather it attached directly to the 45° position via keymod.

Voodoo_Man
06-15-14, 08:26
I've ran those sights for a class in the "open" position and it was snag city.

In my opinion, angled backup sights need to be just that, for backup, not constantly deployed. For CQB or anything of that nature, you should either be running an RDS or something along that line, if you really need back up sights at that point you should have the standard type. The only reason to have angled sights, again in my opinion, is because you have a variable magnified optic and need the space on your rail for it.

cemoulton
06-15-14, 11:54

I direct mounted a T1 to a casv-s to back up a leupold M8 6x42.

I can't say how I like it because I only finished building this rifle yesterday. I laser bore sighted her but haven't shot her yet.

I'm function testing her at our range in about 45 minutes so I'll report back.

MountainRaven
06-15-14, 14:48
I've ran those sights for a class in the "open" position and it was snag city.

In my opinion, angled backup sights need to be just that, for backup, not constantly deployed. For CQB or anything of that nature, you should either be running an RDS or something along that line, if you really need back up sights at that point you should have the standard type. The only reason to have angled sights, again in my opinion, is because you have a variable magnified optic and need the space on your rail for it.

In my opinion, having your angled sights not deployed or running traditional BUIS is great until you move from a cool, dry place (like an air conditioned car or building or Montana in winter) to a warm humid place (like a heated car or building or Florida in summer): Your optics fog up and BUIS don't work so great through a fogged optic. Admittedly, this is a <1% kinda thing, but fixed off-set BUIS have a place on serious guns.

Voodoo_Man
06-15-14, 15:01
In my opinion, having your angled sights not deployed or running traditional BUIS is great until you move from a cool, dry place (like an air conditioned car or building or Montana in winter) to a warm humid place (like a heated car or building or Florida in summer): Your optics fog up and BUIS don't work so great through a fogged optic. Admittedly, this is a <1% kinda thing, but fixed off-set BUIS have a place on serious guns.

Knowing your locale is part of the rifle building and setup process. I do not live in a humid climate area so what is quoted above has zero impact on my building or setup of a rifle.

Running kit and having snagged myself on the KAC angled sights tells me that I need to run them in the folded position until I am ready to use them.

I do not really understand the point of the "serious guns" comment at the end, are you trying to imply that only "serious guns" have fixed buis or fixed angled buis?

MountainRaven
06-15-14, 15:20
Knowing your locale is part of the rifle building and setup process. I do not live in a humid climate area so what is quoted above has zero impact on my building or setup of a rifle.

Running kit and having snagged myself on the KAC angled sights tells me that I need to run them in the folded position until I am ready to use them.

I do not really understand the point of the "serious guns" comment at the end, are you trying to imply that only "serious guns" have fixed buis or fixed angled buis?

Not implying anything. I said what I meant and I meant nothing other than exactly what is there.

GH41
06-15-14, 16:04
If you read my opening post you would see that I am going to get fixed rapid transition sights. My mind is made up. I don't dream about fighting in a jungle with veins in my teeth. I can see where they could snag things but NO more than an FSB or Scope/Aimpoint bell. I fail to see the reason for a backup sight that has to be deployed when needed. I also can't understand why KAC and others sell back up sights that don't lock up. GH

Voodoo_Man
06-15-14, 16:10
If you read my opening post you would see that I am going to get fixed rapid transition sights. My mind is made up. I don't dream about fighting in a jungle with veins in my teeth. I can see where they could snag things but NO more than an FSB or Scope/Aimpoint bell. I fail to see the reason for a backup sight that has to be deployed when needed. I also can't understand why KAC and others sell back up sights that don't lock up. GH

Whatever floats your boat. After you get them and have for a bit, post up and tell us how many times you've used them, and if they did exactly what you wanted them to do.

GH41
06-15-14, 16:17
Will do. GH

M&P15T
06-16-14, 05:42

I get being prepared, but worrying over something like that is just silly. First, the chances that an optic/scope would fail (fog) is next-to-nothing. The chances that even your "serious guns" will ever be used for HD/SD is even more remote. So, you're fretting over a 1 in a million of a 1 in a million.

cutamerc
06-16-14, 09:24
I get being prepared, but worrying over something like that is just silly. First, the chances that an optic/scope would fail (fog) is next-to-nothing. The chances that even your "serious guns" will ever be used for HD/SD is even more remote. So, you're fretting over a 1 in a million of a 1 in a million.

No disrespect implied, but I'm not sure why you think it doesn't happen. I live on the swamp side of a mountain and some days everything fogs. EOTechs, magnified optics, NV, FLIR, you name it. Try to wipe it off and it just gets worse.

Biggy
06-16-14, 11:41

KAC or go home.

Yep, for me its KAC or go home. Other options might be an Aimpoint T1, Trijicon RMR or the new Leupold Deltapoint 2 in an offset mount. IMHO, all have a few pro's and con's.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/new-leupold-deltapoint-2-redfield-accelerator/

GH41
06-16-14, 15:50

I guess you have to decide if a one time payment for life insurance is worth 175-300 bucks. GH

GH41
06-16-14, 16:20
No disrespect implied, but I'm not sure why you think it doesn't happen. I live on the swamp side of a mountain and some days everything fogs. EOTechs, magnified optics, NV, FLIR, you name it. Try to wipe it off and it just gets worse.

I live down south on the coast where 100% humidity and 95 degree temps are the norm for 4-6 months a year. If I pulled a scope rifle out of the safe right now and took it outside it would fog and stay fogged for 10 minutes. Moisture issues are real. GH