PDA

View Full Version : New Sig 226 purchased today!

ShipWreck
06-07-14, 13:15
I rented a Sig 226 today, and then bought one afterwards. My first Sig handgun I have ever owned, despite owning tons of different makes and models over the years...

Gun is very accurate, and doubletaps very well. I also have a strong preference towards rubber grips. However, with this new smaller grip the 226 comes with - the texture is rough enough that I don't need rubber grips.

Now, I fired 250 rounds thru the gun. One strange thing initially. The slide never locked back when I shot the gun 2 handed, but ALWAYS when I shot it one handed. I talked to one of the shop employees, and he came out on the range with me (the store also has an indoor range). He tried it and it worked fine. He then watched me shoot. The slide release is so far back on a Sig that it is easy to hit with your thumb in a 2 handed grip.

Sure enough - that was it. I fired another 100 rounds thru it, and if I watched my grip, it never did it.

I prefer my standard holding grip - but in a self defense situation with only one 15 round magazine in the gun, I can shoot it like I normally do and it would be a non issue. But on the range, I just gotta pay a bit more attention to it.

Here it is:

(Has night sights on it already)

It is the 226 Legacy configuration. Supposed to have the same frame as the MK25. However, I do not know how that differs from a standard 226 frame

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SIg226-1_zpsb3711d0e.jpg~original

el_chingoton13
06-07-14, 13:47
Looks great! The Mk25 uses a different rail dimension than the normal 226's. Rail mounted lights will fit better on yours.

Henchman
06-07-14, 14:04
I have the same problem with my normal grip not locking the slide to the rear on Sigs. Just got a MK 25 this year as my first Sig pistol and I really enjoy it. Accurate and reliable. I'm glad your enjoying yours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sensei
06-07-14, 14:23
Now, I fired 250 rounds thru the gun. One strange thing initially. The slide never locked back when I shot the gun 2 handed, but ALWAYS when I shot it one handed. I talked to one of the shop employees, and he came out on the range with me (the store also has an indoor range). He tried it and it worked fine. He then watched me shoot. The slide release is so far back on a Sig that it is easy to hit with your thumb in a 2 handed grip.

Take a look at this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLuLKLQCMc

Bruce Gray knows more about Sig than just about anybody on the planet.

Also, congratulations on the purchase. Sig had a rough patch between 2004-2011. Most people close to the company say that the current crop of P-series pistols is GTG, but perhaps not quite back to the German standards of the 90's.

FWIW, I've had very good luck with the factory Short Reseat Trigger modification that replaces the sear and sear safety leaver. The result is a 50% reduction in reset and maybe a pound off the DA trigger pull. Bruce sells an armorers video that walks you through the disassembly and recommended maintenance - a must have if you plan to commit yourself to the platform without using an armorer.

Vandal
06-07-14, 14:36
I will second the Short Reset Trigger. It came standard on my P229 Elite. Sensei is dead on with his description on the reset reduction and trigger weight. I would also recommend the Sig Short Trigger, I found it easier to reach and manipulate than the standard Sig Trigger.

joshrunkle35
06-07-14, 14:40
I also have issues getting the slide lock to engage with my normal grip. I've since dumped my Sigs, which are otherwise great guns.

Pappabear
06-07-14, 14:42
I rented a Sig 226 today, and then bought one afterwards. My first Sig handgun I have ever owned, despite owning tons of different makes and models over the years...

Gun is very accurate, and doubletaps very well. I also have a strong preference towards rubber grips. However, with this new smaller grip the 226 comes with - the texture is rough enough that I don't need rubber grips.

Sure enough - that was it. I fired another 100 rounds thru it, and if I watched my grip, it never did it.

I prefer my standard holding grip - but in a self defense situation with only one 15 round magazine in the gun, I can shoot it like I normally do and it would be a non issue. But on the range, I just gotta pay a bit more attention to it.

Here it is:

(Has night sights on it already)

It is the 226 Legacy configuration. Supposed to have the same frame as the MK25. However, I do not know how that differs from a standard 226 frame

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SIg226-1_zpsb3711d0e.jpg~original
Nice looking Sig. Got the STR ?

Sensei
06-07-14, 15:07
I will second the Short Reset Trigger. It came standard on my P229 Elite. Sensei is dead on with his description on the reset reduction and trigger weight. I would also recommend the Sig Short Trigger, I found it easier to reach and manipulate than the standard Sig Trigger.

Just so that Shipwreck is tracking with the terminology, there is a difference between the frequently confused Short Reset Trigger (SRT) and Short Trigger.

The Short Reset Trigger is not actually a trigger, but a kit that replaces the sear and sear safety lever to reduce reseat. The Short Trigger (aka Short Reach Trigger) is a newer trigger design that reduces the trigger profile and reach. Now, people either like or hate this newer tigger. The reason for the hate is that some of us with thick fingers experience over travel bit as a portion of finger pad gets trapped between the trigger and frame. I really notice it after 200 round with a pistol sporting this short trigger.

I strongly recommend that anyone considering this trigger in a P226 dry fire a factory stock P227 since it has nearly identical frame dimensions and comes from the factory with a short trigger. If you feel any pinch on dry firing a P227, you will certainly feel it on a P226 since recoil tends to magnify this problem.

If you absolutely must have a thinner profiled trigger and experience over travel bite with the factory short trigger, fear not - there is still hope. Bruce Gray makes a Precision Intermediate Trigger for $50 that can be installed with the Short Reset Trigger kit (sear and sear safety lever). This aftermarket trigger is rock solid construction, between the standard and short trigger sizes, and eliminate over travel. I have replaced all, of my short triggers with this modification.

In summary, Sig P226 + factory Short Reset Trigger Kit + Bruce Gray Precision Intermediate Trigger = DA Trigger Perfection for just $120 over factory price and only 1 after market part.

ShipWreck
06-07-14, 15:35
Thanks for the explanation.

WHile the Beretta 92 fits my hands perfectly (because of that recent backstrap indentation they did to the frame), the SIg 226 has always been just a tad too big for my hands. UNTIL this new grip.

There was another 226 model for more $ with different grips and a short reset trigger. But honestly, I liked the standard trigger better. The one I rented had the standard trigger as well. I decided to stick with that instead. Years ago, I had a Beretta Vertec with a short trigger, and I ended up not liking it. I had a harder time shooting the gun.

I really like the Sig 220 SCorpion as well - but all my handguns are 9mm. 45 ammo is pretty expensive now. And, everytime I get a 45, I generally end up selling it - one of the reasons is ammo costs. I used to shoot 200 rounds per session in 9mm. With ammo costs now, I typically only shoot 150 rounds. WIth a 45, I'd likely only shoot 100 now. So, I decided to just stick with another 9mm.

Pappabear
06-07-14, 22:14
That was an issue for the HK P30. I did it and I couldn't figure it out. Thought I had crappy mags. :nono:

Good thing there is a short slide stop that you get for the P30. That Sig has that stop way back there. As usual, a training issue.

Vandal
06-08-14, 01:15
Going from a 1911 to the Sig there was a learning curve. I had to use a piece of tape to get me to stop riding the Sig slide release and move my strong side thumb over.

Stengun
06-08-14, 09:53
Howdy,

I had the opposite problem when I bought my Glock 35. Because of the extended slide stop/catch/release/whatever you want to call it ( For some unknown reason the Gun Nazis get upset if you call a part by a name that they do NOT approve. ) I was "thumbing" it up and locking the slide back while I was shooting.

I took the non-extended one out of my G23 and put it in the G35 and the problem went away. Then I put the extended one in the G23 and then it started happening to the G23.

Toss it in the trash, bought a new non-extended one and the problem ha never happened again.

Paul

Beebo
06-08-14, 11:09
I've been doing some browsing and found a couple different "Legacy" configurations. Does your new one have the newer long extractor or the short extractor that is found on the MK25? Thanks for sharing.

MSparks909
06-08-14, 11:53
Nice blaster. I just picked up my first P226 about 2 weeks ago. Added a SRT trigger last week. It's my first DA/SA gun. Have 500 rounds through it so far. Really enjoying it. It will be the new nightstand gun once I have 1K rounds through it. I recommend using grease on the rails as opposed to oil. I use Slip 2000 EWG on the rails and FIREClean everywhere else.

ShipWreck
06-08-14, 13:52
I've been doing some browsing and found a couple different "Legacy" configurations. Does your new one have the newer long extractor or the short extractor that is found on the MK25? Thanks for sharing.

It comes with the short one:

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/e2d3286b9c4400eac6cb017b74aa7464.jpg

pat701
06-08-14, 18:42
Sig P226 is my favorite pistol.

Sensei
06-08-14, 22:09
Sig P226 is my favorite pistol.

The P226 in 9mm is an amazing weapon and probably the most consistent performer in the P-series stable in terms of reliability and durability. Right behind it is the P-228.

RWH24
06-14-14, 20:24
Short Trigger with the SRT system. Sig 226 ELITE 9mm
The 18 round Mec-Gar mags work like a champ.

ShipWreck
06-14-14, 20:52
I am picking up a M11A1 on Monday :p

CaptainN8
06-14-14, 21:10
I also have issues getting the slide lock to engage with my normal grip. I've since dumped my Sigs, which are otherwise great guns.

It's your grip. Many people have that problem with Sigs. Watch your string hand thumb, with the slide lock being so far back.

joshrunkle35
06-14-14, 21:16
It's your grip. Many people have that problem with Sigs. Watch your string hand thumb, with the slide lock being so far back.

It's actually my support hand grip.

LMT Shooter
06-15-14, 00:13
It's actually my support hand grip.

That is interesting, I haven't heard of that problem before.

RWH24
06-15-14, 13:21
Actually common..

The_Watcher
06-15-14, 16:56
I am picking up a M11A1 on Monday :p
I had both. I was amazed at the differnet trigger pulls. I found the MK25 to have a much smoother/rolling DA pull than the M11.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

LMT Shooter
06-15-14, 18:44
Actually common..

The support hand causing it is common? I thought it was the firing hand thumb that usually caused the problem.

opmike
06-15-14, 18:54
Actually common..

Strong hand thumb is common, which is why people like Gray and Defoor have done writeups and videos demonstrating workarounds. I've never heard of anyone having issues hitting it with their support hand.

Blayglock
06-15-14, 19:22
I have to consciously wrap my strong hand thumb around the outside of my support hand thumb after shooting Glocks for so long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chilic82
06-15-14, 21:19
Sure enough - that was it. I fired another 100 rounds thru it, and if I watched my grip,

This was my main issue with Sig that kept me from making them my primary carry and recreational guns. They just don't work with my grip. HK P30 is no different. The slide will never lock back if I use my shooting grip. Love the 226, just don't like where the slide stop is.Enjoy it, it's one of the best. But it will never replace the 92..:)

LMT Shooter
06-15-14, 23:45
[QUOTE=Blayglock;1934320]I have to consciously wrap my strong hand thumb around the outside of my support hand thumb....

I have been working on this myself, still not over the problem yet. I still laugh at how dumb I felt when I realized it was an operator error not a gun issue.

mrvip27
06-16-14, 04:35
You mean to tell me you bought a Cohen sig!?! Oh noe!!! :D