PDA

View Full Version : The BrinkZone Sled-Centric Program!

WillBrink
06-07-14, 15:44
The Ultimate Program For The Ultimate Whole Body Strength & Conditioning Tool (http://www.brinkzone.com/bodybuilding/the-brinkzone-sled-centric-program/)

I have been working with push sleds (specifically the Prowler II) for years now with people from all walks of life. SWAT teams, fitness models, strong man competitors, body builders, IFBB pro Figure competitors, to Joe/Jane every day fitness enthusiast, and those looking to shed some weight, to name just a few. The longer I use the sled with an ever wider variety of people with varying goals, the more convinced I became that the push sled is the single most effective strength and conditioning tool I have used. More info on this program HERE (http://www.brinkzone.com/bodybuilding/the-brinkzone-sled-centric-program/) if interested.

Thanx

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/cover_zpsc04f844e.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/cover_zpsc04f844e.jpg.html)

dth4lf
06-11-14, 03:36
This is really cool, Will. Thanks for posting.

Using a sled at my gym would be a no go. No room inside my house either.

To be effective, I'm sure we're concerned about what type of surface the Prowler will be moving across since that, along with the weight, will be what generates the friction.

That being said, what are your thoughts on trying to use this type of routine outside? I noticed in one of your SWAT training vids you had the guys pushing a Prowler up hill on asphalt (or what looked like asphalt). Any disadvantages to trying to move the prowler across grass or similar?

WillBrink
06-11-14, 08:46
This is really cool, Will. Thanks for posting.

Using a sled at my gym would be a no go. No room inside my house either.

To be effective, I'm sure we're concerned about what type of surface the Prowler will be moving across since that, along with the weight, will be what generates the friction.

The Prowler - and other push sleds depending on their design and quality of materials used - can be used on essentially any surface. You'll see most vids on YT for example out in some parking lot on asphalt. One guy using the program got creative by buying a 75' (length used in the BSCP) by 4' piece of artificial turf and doing it in the parking lot of his gym.

That being said, what are your thoughts on trying to use this type of routine outside? I noticed in one of your SWAT training vids you had the guys pushing a Prowler up hill on asphalt (or what looked like asphalt). Any disadvantages to trying to move the prowler across grass or similar?

I cover that in the program BTW. Most users of sleds use them on asphalt and if the skids are made of good quality steel, works fine. Grass works fine on lighter weight, but will plow badly and rip up the grass when going heavy. The program calls for some heavy ass sled work to develop strength as well as conditioning.

dth4lf
06-11-14, 09:50
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.

I purchased the BSCP book and read through it. My current program should last me through July, after which I'd like to try the BSCP. I'll be working at paving the way for that to happed until then (finding a sled and/or place that has one I can utilize).

I've been looking for ways to change up my routines to keep my body guessing. I think this will be an excellent way to do just that.

WillBrink
06-11-14, 10:21
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.

I purchased the BSCP book and read through it. My current program should last me through July, after which I'd like to try the BSCP. I'll be working at paving the way for that to happed until then (finding a sled and/or place that has one I can utilize).

I've been looking for ways to change up my routines to keep my body guessing. I think this will be an excellent way to do just that.

Excellent. Please review your experience and results with the program when you get started on that.

norbis
06-16-14, 20:15
WillBrink,

I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. What is a good way to get ahold of you for a specific question about BSCP? I would rather not put this specific question out on an open forum. Thanks.

Double3
06-17-14, 05:52
Great addition to a routine.

WillBrink
06-17-14, 06:50
WillBrink,

I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. What is a good way to get ahold of you for a specific question about BSCP? I would rather not put this specific question out on an open forum. Thanks.

I cleared some space on the PM but, but why not post a Q on the program in the thread? If it's a PERSEC related Q, etc, use PM as needed.

WillBrink
06-17-14, 06:52
Great addition to a routine.

Actually is the routine. The BSCP is a stand alone program you'd employ 8-12 weeks. Upper/lower body fully covered.

Eurodriver
06-17-14, 07:42
Came here for the super hot latina girl. Got a dude instead.

Pic fail.

dth4lf
06-17-14, 07:53

Pic fail.

:confused:

WillBrink
06-17-14, 07:53

Pic fail.

Click link. There's several vids of very attractive fit gals working on the sled. :cool:

Double3
06-17-14, 10:24
Actually is the routine. The BSCP is a stand alone program you'd employ 8-12 weeks. Upper/lower body fully covered.
Sorry I wasn't talking about your program but just pushing or pulling sleds and prowlers in general.

Awesome workout that helps with strength and stamina.

WillBrink
06-17-14, 11:10
Sorry I wasn't talking about your program but just pushing or pulling sleds and prowlers in general.

Awesome workout that helps with strength and stamina.

All good. As I said, a good push sled is the single most effective overall strength and conditioning tool I know of, or as creator of the highly popular 5/3/1 program, elite ranked power lifter, and strength coach Dave Wendler says of sled work:

“I am thoroughly convinced that the Prowler is the answer to most of our world’s problems: debt, overpopulation, drugs, obesity, etc. “

Eurodriver
06-17-14, 15:15
Click link. There's several vids of very attractive fit gals working on the sled. :cool:

Kelly and Christina. You always pull through, Will.

WillBrink
06-17-14, 15:33
Kelly and Christina. You always pull through, Will.

I call it "Girls Gone Prowler"

They may not be Latinas, but they sure are easy on the eyes, and damn strong to boot. My kinda ladies.

WillBrink
07-11-14, 11:19
A few customer reviews for the Sled-Centric Program to check out on Amazon HERE (http://www.amazon.com/BrinkZone-Sled-Centric-Program-Ultimate-Conditioning-ebook/product-reviews/B00KSNIUKQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

WillBrink
04-12-15, 17:30
Now that this program has been out a while, anyone here get through it? Feedback has been quite good, but no follows ups here from users.

WillBrink
05-22-15, 10:21
If you're interested checking out the Sled-Centric Program - The Ultimate Program For The Ultimate Strength & Conditioning Tool - It's almost 50% off for the holiday. Check it out HERE (http://www.amazon.com/BrinkZone-Sled-Centric-Program-Ultimate-Conditioning-ebook/dp/B00KSNIUKQ/ref=la_B0076LCMKC_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432305101&sr=1-4)

dth4lf
07-05-15, 17:00
Well, our gym owner has finally (nearly) completed what I'm calling the "functional strength" room he's been talking about doing for the last year. I has a turf strip, push sled, a couple of stations for Oly style lifts, some extra weights, etc. Been holding off on trying a cycle of the BSCP until this was finished.

We have a scheduled deloading period coming up next week (just finished our last training block) and are hoping to start the Sled-Centric program on Mon the 13th.

Been looking over the program to make sure all of our equipment will be in place. Biggest potential issue appears to be whether or not our gym's turf strip is the full 75'. I have plans to go in one day this week to measure, also to check to make sure he has some straps for sled pulling.

If the turf strip isn't long enough, I'm considering doing an out-and-back if necessary (provided it's at least 35'). Not sure how much reorienting the sled mid-push would break up the set. I know that's not ideal but... To me it seems better than continuing to pussy-foot around looking for the perfect environment within which to start this program.

WillBrink
07-05-15, 17:12
Well, our gym owner has finally (nearly) completed what I'm calling the "functional strength" room he's been talking about doing for the last year. I has a turf strip, push sled, a couple of stations for Oly style lifts, some extra weights, etc. Been holding off on trying a cycle of the BSCP until this was finished.

We have a scheduled deloading period coming up next week (just finished our last training block) and are hoping to start the Sled-Centric program on Mon the 13th.

Been looking over the program to make sure all of our equipment will be in place. Biggest potential issue appears to be whether or not our gym's turf strip is the full 75'. I have plans to go in one day this week to measure, also to check to make sure he has some straps for sled pulling.

If the turf strip isn't long enough, I'm considering doing an out-and-back if necessary (provided it's at least 35'). Not sure how much reorienting the sled mid-push would break up the set. I know that's not ideal but... To me it seems better than continuing to pussy-foot around looking for the perfect environment within which to start this program.

I hope you can make a go of a full BSCP cycle and report back!

dth4lf
07-09-15, 21:15
I hope you can make a go of a full BSCP cycle and report back!

I hope so too.

Went into the gym this past Monday and took some measurements; turf strip spans the entire length of the room but that's only 50' wall to wall. I'm planning on putting markers down 5' or so in from each wall and using them as start/turn-around points... Not sure what else I can do, 50' would be way too short for this program. I'd like to keep the distance to 75' or very close as outlined in the BSCP.

Also, our gym doesn't have any dedicated pull-straps for the sled, but we do have some TRX straps that go virtually unused. The Blast Straps mentioned in the BSCP looked similar to the TRX bands, so I'm thinking the TRX straps might work well. I'll do a small test tomorrow to see.

Speaking of tomorrow, the missus and I are going in to do our 1RM tests for this program some time tomorrow evening. Pretty stoked to start on this. Should be a very welcome, much-needed change up in our training.

WillBrink
07-10-15, 07:24
I hope so too.

Went into the gym this past Monday and took some measurements; turf strip spans the entire length of the room but that's only 50' wall to wall. I'm planning on putting markers down 5' or so in from each wall and using them as start/turn-around points... Not sure what else I can do, 50' would be way too short for this program. I'd like to keep the distance to 75' or very close as outlined in the BSCP.

Also, our gym doesn't have any dedicated pull-straps for the sled, but we do have some TRX straps that go virtually unused. The Blast Straps mentioned in the BSCP looked similar to the TRX bands, so I'm thinking the TRX straps might work well. I'll do a small test tomorrow to see.

Speaking of tomorrow, the missus and I are going in to do our 1RM tests for this program some time tomorrow evening. Pretty stoked to start on this. Should be a very welcome, much-needed change up in our training.

Outstanding. Maybe keep a running journal in this thread as to how to proceeds.

dth4lf
07-10-15, 20:09
Went in for our 1RM test tonight. Having never done ANY sled work prior to this, I worked my way up, adding two plates at a time.

Ended up at 540 (12 plates). I feel okay with that given my lack of any sled conditioning. A couple pics from the max push (apologies for crappy cell-phone-quality pics):

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/imagejpeg_3_zpsotlgqbce.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/imagejpeg_3_zpsotlgqbce.jpg.html)

On the way back. Having to turn the sled around mid-push kind of sucks but whatever.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/imagejpeg_21_zpsubtuxbnm.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/imagejpeg_21_zpsubtuxbnm.jpg.html)

Testing TRX bands to make sure they would work for pulling when the program calls for it. I think they'll work out perfectly:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/imagejpeg_32_zpsi0pdjl5g.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/imagejpeg_32_zpsi0pdjl5g.jpg.html)

Could I have pushed more if I had just come in, did a light warm-up, and gone for it? Probably. Perhaps one or two more plates.

Either way, my goal for my four week 1RM retest is to be able to move 630 (14 plates). Time will tell. One concern is a nagging knee issue in both knees. If they both continue to feel good, I feel somewhat confident I'll be able to achieve my goal on retest day.

My gf and I start the full BSCP on Monday. We'll most likely be doing the every-other-day version of the program. The split seems to work out better that way, at least on paper.

WillBrink
07-11-15, 08:41
Went in for our 1RM test tonight. Having never done ANY sled work prior to this, I worked my way up, adding two plates at a time.

Ended up at 540 (12 plates). I feel okay with that given my lack of any sled conditioning. A couple pics from the max push (apologies for crappy cell-phone-quality pics):

On the way back. Having to turn the sled around mid-push kind of sucks but whatever.

Testing TRX bands to make sure they would work for pulling when the program calls for it. I think they'll work out perfectly:

Could I have pushed more if I had just come in, did a light warm-up, and gone for it? Probably. Perhaps one or two more plates.

Either way, my goal for my four week 1RM retest is to be able to move 630 (14 plates). Time will tell. One concern is a nagging knee issue in both knees. If they both continue to feel good, I feel somewhat confident I'll be able to achieve my goal on retest day.

My gf and I start the full BSCP on Monday. We'll most likely be doing the every-other-day version of the program. The split seems to work out better that way, at least on paper.

I think the every other day version is best for most people. It's a tough program and recoup and rest always an essential part of progress. Being you have not done regular sled work, your approach to setting that Max Push is fine and you'll see regular progress each time. Sled turning does suck!

dth4lf
07-16-15, 04:49
Completed our first sled-based workout last night. I found the cardiovascular element to this to be the most challenging. Strength-wise everything felt pretty good, didn't feel like I was really struggling to complete the push but as soon as they were over... Man. Had to catch my breath. No "prowler flu" yet though.;)

You don't realize how much the pushing takes out of you until you move on to squats and deadlifts after having pushed that sled around. I think my gf had a harder time than I did since I'm on my way back from some knee issues and being careful about squats and what weights I'm using. Deadlifts then beat both of us up pretty well.

All in all I think it was a great workout. We were in a decent sweat the whole time and felt physically challenged in a different way. Both of us were in need of a change-up in our routines so this certainly appears to be a great move in that direction.

WillBrink
07-16-15, 09:39
Completed our first sled-based workout last night. I found the cardiovascular element to this to be the most challenging. Strength-wise everything felt pretty good, didn't feel like I was really struggling to complete the push but as soon as they were over... Man. Had to catch my breath. No "prowler flu" yet though.;)

You don't realize how much the pushing takes out of you until you move on to squats and deadlifts after having pushed that sled around. I think my gf had a harder time than I did since I'm on my way back from some knee issues and being careful about squats and what weights I'm using. Deadlifts then beat both of us up pretty well.

All in all I think it was a great workout. We were in a decent sweat the whole time and felt physically challenged in a different way. Both of us were in need of a change-up in our routines so this certainly appears to be a great move in that direction.

Sounds like you guys are on the right track! Will be interesting to see effects of multiple weekly cycles, and impact on strength of primary lifts if/when you return to a "traditional" program and any effects on body comp. Most report improvements in both areas.

dth4lf
07-29-15, 17:38
By way of an update, we completed our first 4-week mesocycle of the BSCP last Thursday. Started our second mesocycle on Monday, tonight will be training session #2 of that cycle. Next Thursday we should be doing our max push retest.

So far, we're really digging the change of pace. At this point, I can say with some certainty that I will be incorporating more sled work into any training cycle that I set up, even if it's just for high-intensity cardio intervals or similar.

I've also really come to like the every-other-day split of this routine. In the past, I was always hesitant to schedule weekend training session for fear of something coming up that would make me have to cancel it. Turns out that, since we plan for it, getting in on a Saturday or a Sunday is no big deal. Nice empty gym (who doesn't like that?). Additionally, it's nice having Tue/Thur off one week and Mon/Wed/Fri the next. I may continue to use this style of split when I return to a more traditional training block.

We really enjoyed the "sled-only" training session this past Thursday. I find myself looking forward to the sled-heavy lower body workouts, something about getting behind a heavy object and just pushing like hell. It's also nice doing something that isn't quantified by repetitions for a change.

The reverse pulls we got into last Thursday bothered my knees a little bit, so I'll have to watch that, but the high and low pushes don't seem to bother them. Really digging the low pushes since they allow for a full ROM press with your legs.

If I've underestimated any aspect of this program thus far, it's the cardiovascular aspect of sled pushing. During the push, it doesn't seem too bad, but man, when you park the sled, stand up, and give your body a chance to figure out what it just did... I'm usually huffing for a bit, sometimes even a little lightheaded.

WillBrink
08-01-15, 10:33
By way of an update, we completed our first 4-week mesocycle of the BSCP last Thursday. Started our second mesocycle on Monday, tonight will be training session #2 of that cycle. Next Thursday we should be doing our max push retest.

So far, we're really digging the change of pace. At this point, I can say with some certainty that I will be incorporating more sled work into any training cycle that I set up, even if it's just for high-intensity cardio intervals or similar.

Good deal!

I've also really come to like the every-other-day split of this routine. In the past, I was always hesitant to schedule weekend training session for fear of something coming up that would make me have to cancel it. Turns out that, since we plan for it, getting in on a Saturday or a Sunday is no big deal. Nice empty gym (who doesn't like that?). Additionally, it's nice having Tue/Thur off one week and Mon/Wed/Fri the next. I may continue to use this style of split when I return to a more traditional training block.

Personally, every other day type splits are always my favorite and always part of programs I develop.

We really enjoyed the "sled-only" training session this past Thursday. I find myself looking forward to the sled-heavy lower body workouts, something about getting behind a heavy object and just pushing like hell. It's also nice doing something that isn't quantified by repetitions for a change.

It's as "real world" functional and primal as it gets and there's nothing (as you probably learned by now) that does not get worked in some form or another.

The reverse pulls we got into last Thursday bothered my knees a little bit, so I'll have to watch that, but the high and low pushes don't seem to bother them. Really digging the low pushes since they allow for a full ROM press with your legs.

If I've underestimated any aspect of this program thus far, it's the cardiovascular aspect of sled pushing. During the push, it doesn't seem too bad, but man, when you park the sled, stand up, and give your body a chance to figure out what it just did... I'm usually huffing for a bit, sometimes even a little lightheaded.

As mentioned in the program, other than a few easy LISS sessions per week - which are really more for active recoup than cardio - the program covers conditioning/GPP/cardio needs easily.

The sled rules all. :dance3:

dth4lf
08-01-15, 11:02
Thanks for the reply, Will.

My gf and I were wondering, do you have any plans to develop a BSCP II or similar? Something even more sled-centric? Perhaps incorporating other more progressive whole-body functional type exercises (sandbags, etc.)?

We've seen pics/vids of some other sled exercises and were wondering if they might be useful as part of a program. For example, hand-over-hand "rows" performed with a rope while pulling the sled toward you. From the looks of it, that would be a pretty brutal back exercise.

I've also seen what would appear to be similar to a kettle bell swing, where the rope is between your legs and the sled is behind you, then the rope is pulled through as you stand up. I'm sure there's a name for this but I'm just unfamiliar with it.

I know you had good reason to develop this program the way that you did, and we're adhering to it with rigidity. Was just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

WillBrink
08-02-15, 08:19
Thanks for the reply, Will.

My gf and I were wondering, do you have any plans to develop a BSCP II or similar? Something even more sled-centric? Perhaps incorporating other more progressive whole-body functional type exercises (sandbags, etc.)?

We've seen pics/vids of some other sled exercises and were wondering if they might be useful as part of a program. For example, hand-over-hand "rows" performed with a rope while pulling the sled toward you. From the looks of it, that would be a pretty brutal back exercise.

I've also seen what would appear to be similar to a kettle bell swing, where the rope is between your legs and the sled is behind you, then the rope is pulled through as you stand up. I'm sure there's a name for this but I'm just unfamiliar with it.

I know you had good reason to develop this program the way that you did, and we're adhering to it with rigidity. Was just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

I have had some thoughts on BSCP V2 for sure. I can see some different versions for sure using all manner of different approaches. One more thing to put on the list of stuff to work on at some point. Been focused on the fiction stuff recently in the writing focus.

dth4lf
08-02-15, 17:15
A few pics from today's sled work.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/imagejpeg_37_zpsqzzrxkc2.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/imagejpeg_37_zpsqzzrxkc2.jpg.html)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/imagejpeg_27_zpszucjvjz8.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/imagejpeg_27_zpszucjvjz8.jpg.html)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/imagejpeg_35_zpsrudiewwm.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/imagejpeg_35_zpsrudiewwm.jpg.html)

dth4lf
08-06-15, 21:47
Max push retest: 630 lbs.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/CSC_0222_zpswihimxqd.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/CSC_0222_zpswihimxqd.jpg.html)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/CSC_0218_zpsgfrvhlso.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/CSC_0218_zpsgfrvhlso.jpg.html)

Back at the starting point.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/CSC_0219_zpsrkqckoki.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/CSC_0219_zpsrkqckoki.jpg.html)

This was a tough push, but I added two plates to my max push in four weeks (540 lbs. to 630 lbs.). We're planning on doing another 4-week cycle since we go on vacation the 2nd week of September. I'd love to add another two plates for the next retest, but I'm thinking one plate is probably more realistic.

WillBrink
08-07-15, 06:46
Max push retest: 630 lbs.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/CSC_0222_zpswihimxqd.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/CSC_0222_zpswihimxqd.jpg.html)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/CSC_0218_zpsgfrvhlso.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/CSC_0218_zpsgfrvhlso.jpg.html)

Back at the starting point.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoeWalmer/CSC_0219_zpsrkqckoki.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/JoeWalmer/media/CSC_0219_zpsrkqckoki.jpg.html)

This was a tough push, but I added two plates to my max push in four weeks (540 lbs. to 630 lbs.). We're planning on doing another 4-week cycle since we go on vacation the 2nd week of September. I'd love to add another two plates for the next retest, but I'm thinking one plate is probably more realistic.

Nicely done! That max push gives good feedback on program progress.

dth4lf
08-24-15, 00:54
So, to recap, we completed one 4-week mesocycle of the BSCP, retested our max push, and have now started our second and final mesocycle.

For our very first max push test -- the one we completed before starting the program -- neither my gf or myself had done any sled work... None. So, naturally, our max push numbers were probably a little bit on the low end of things compared to athletes of similar size and strength who have been doing some sled training. Since our training numbers for the next four weeks were based on percentages of this initial "untrained" max push, our sled work was difficult but manageable.

Now that we have completed a max push retest, both of us hitting higher weights, and have based our sled weight numbers on percentages of that push, the training has definitely been kicked up a notch. Not only because we're basing our resistance amounts on the most recent and heavier max push retest, but also (I think) because we're now working at percentages of a max push completed by individuals who have been doing some regular sled training.

For me personally, the cardiovascular aspect of the push is the most challenging. The last 15 to 20 feet of the push is physically difficult but it's nothing compared to the wind-sucking I need to do immediately post push to keep from passing out. I'm usually pretty gassed, and end up pacing around for a few minutes to catch my breath. Only on the main 70%- to 80%-of-max pushes though.

On the other side of things, since this program has us doing some type of bench press variation every upper body day, my bench weights and volume have increased (not that I was trying to do so). I'm still bringing my squat weights back up slowly from a leg issue I had late this past spring, so nothing in the way of earth-shattering results to report there.

Additionally, I've been slowly entering into an active fat loss phase of dieting for the last several weeks. I realize that trying to lose body fat and add strength can be difficult to do, but, due partly to the nature of this routine, and the rate at which I've decreased my calories below maintenance (very slowly), I haven't experienced an obvious loss in strength at this time.

WillBrink
08-29-15, 17:06
So, to recap, we completed one 4-week mesocycle of the BSCP, retested our max push, and have now started our second and final mesocycle.

For our very first max push test -- the one we completed before starting the program -- neither my gf or myself had done any sled work... None. So, naturally, our max push numbers were probably a little bit on the low end of things compared to athletes of similar size and strength who have been doing some sled training. Since our training numbers for the next four weeks were based on percentages of this initial "untrained" max push, our sled work was difficult but manageable.

Now that we have completed a max push retest, both of us hitting higher weights, and have based our sled weight numbers on percentages of that push, the training has definitely been kicked up a notch. Not only because we're basing our resistance amounts on the most recent and heavier max push retest, but also (I think) because we're now working at percentages of a max push completed by individuals who have been doing some regular sled training.

For me personally, the cardiovascular aspect of the push is the most challenging. The last 15 to 20 feet of the push is physically difficult but it's nothing compared to the wind-sucking I need to do immediately post push to keep from passing out. I'm usually pretty gassed, and end up pacing around for a few minutes to catch my breath. Only on the main 70%- to 80%-of-max pushes though.

On the other side of things, since this program has us doing some type of bench press variation every upper body day, my bench weights and volume have increased (not that I was trying to do so). I'm still bringing my squat weights back up slowly from a leg issue I had late this past spring, so nothing in the way of earth-shattering results to report there.

Additionally, I've been slowly entering into an active fat loss phase of dieting for the last several weeks. I realize that trying to lose body fat and add strength can be difficult to do, but, due partly to the nature of this routine, and the rate at which I've decreased my calories below maintenance (very slowly), I haven't experienced an obvious loss in strength at this time.

Sounds like excellent and steady progress. I'd have preferred you kept the other variables constant to be able to give most objective report on the program, but it will be interesting to see what the effect is in conjunction with a fat loss focus. There's no particular reason it can't be used as a fat loss program per se, but it could impact strength development. As mentioned in the program, some do note an increase in the other primary lifts even without that being a goal of this program. Unlike many other exercise, sled work has excellent overlap with other lifts and benefits, and an increase in other primary lifts a common "side effect" of sled work.

dth4lf
08-30-15, 23:05
Sounds like excellent and steady progress. I'd have preferred you kept the other variables constant to be able to give most objective report on the program, but it will be interesting to see what the effect is in conjunction with a fat loss focus. There's no particular reason it can't be used as a fat loss program per se, but it could impact strength development. As mentioned in the program, some do note an increase in the other primary lifts even without that being a goal of this program. Unlike many other exercise, sled work has excellent overlap with other lifts and benefits, and an increase in other primary lifts a common "side effect" of sled work.

I know. I was thinking that too. In hindsight, I probably should have waited until this fall to start the BSCP given the conflicting goals of fat loss and strength development. Fortunately, I've been able to do both this time around. Perhaps I'll revisit this program sometime this winter.

On a fat loss note though, over the course of the last 5 months I've managed to drop over 20 lbs (210 lbs to 189 lbs) while actually increasing strength and volume in every area. Certainly a net "win" in my book.

I realize that diet plays the biggest role in fat loss (and I'm probably more on-point than many in that aspect), but I certainly wouldn't want to downplay the metabolic effects I've been experiencing from the sled work.

WillBrink
08-31-15, 07:01
I know. I was thinking that too. In hindsight, I probably should have waited until this fall to start the BSCP given the conflicting goals of fat loss and strength development. Fortunately, I've been able to do both this time around. Perhaps I'll revisit this program sometime this winter.

On a fat loss note though, over the course of the last 5 months I've managed to drop over 20 lbs (210 lbs to 189 lbs) while actually increasing strength and volume in every area. Certainly a net "win" in my book.

I realize that diet plays the biggest role in fat loss (and I'm probably more on-point than many in that aspect), but I certainly wouldn't want to downplay the metabolic effects I've been experiencing from the sled work.

Indeed! No doubt the metabolic effects of the program would assist in fat loss and retention of LBM. More fun when you're on a calorie surplus though. :dance3:

WillBrink
09-04-15, 08:13
SQUAT VS SLED PUSH STUDY!

Finding: The sled and squat had similar muscle activation in some areas, while each had differences in other muscles.

Conclusion: If you aint sled pushing, you're short changing your program and your body! ;)

Lower-limb and trunk muscle activation with back squats and weighted sled apparatus. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Dec;28(12):3346-53.

Abstract

The back squat is a traditional resistance training exercise, whereas the resisted sled exercise is a relatively new resistance exercise. However, as there are no studies comparing muscle activation between the exercises, the objective of this study was to examine activity of leg and trunk muscles for both exercises.

Ten healthy resistance-trained men participated in a randomized crossover design study consisting of 2 preparation sessions and 2 testing sessions. Electromyographic (EMG) activity of the rectus femoris, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius, lower erector spinae, and the transversus abdominis/internal obliques (TrA/IO) were monitored during a 20-step maximum push with the weighted sled apparatus and a 10 repetition maximum with a bilateral back squat.

There were nonsignificant trends for the rectus femoris (p = 0.092: 8.6-16.7%) and biceps femoris (p = 0.09: 10.5-32.8%) to demonstrate higher activity with the sled and squat exercises, respectively. There were main effects for condition with 61.2% greater gastrocnemius EMG with the sled exercise (p = 0.01) and 74.5% greater erector spinae EMG activity with the squat (p = 0.002). There were no significant differences between the exercises for the TrA/IO.

In summary, the sled and squat exercises provided similar EMG activity for the quadriceps, hamstrings, and TrA/IO. The squat provided higher lower erector spinae activation, whereas the sled had superior gastrocnemius activation. Depending on the movement-training specificity of the sport, either exercise may be used in a training program while acknowledging the differences in gastrocnemius and erector spinae activity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25226330

ABNAK
09-04-15, 13:41
Will, is it only available in Kindle? I don't have a Kindle and don't plan on buying one.....maybe in book form for us old-fashioned bastards!

WillBrink
09-04-15, 15:48
Will, is it only available in Kindle? I don't have a Kindle and don't plan on buying one.....maybe in book form for us old-fashioned bastards!

Per comments in my fiction series, (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?167590-Vacation-Gone-South-A-Novalla-%28my-latest-project%29) one does not need a Kindle to read kindle books and there's a free app that allows you to read them on any platform.

WillBrink
09-13-15, 10:42
This was a max push sled day for me a while back while developing the BrinkZone Sled-Centric Program. Did that for 3 cycles with 3-5 min rest periods. The guys who can really push tonnage on the sled, make my weight look like a warm up for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hv3dU16I00