PDA

View Full Version : SWATting?

scooter22
06-08-14, 05:34
Have any LEO's here experienced the phenomenon of 'SWATting"?

I find it insane that CA can manage to refrain from reporting on these incidences in fear of copy-cat crimes. Yet, the media (as a whole) can't seem to do the same with active shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ziLjOPCQwg

This video is also rather interesting in regards to the militarization of police that has been discussed in a couple of threads recently.

Why waste tax-payer money on crap that they're never going to use?

Kind of absurd in my opinion.

Voodoo_Man
06-08-14, 06:38
Happened in my neck of the woods.

No swat team came out, but a bunch of officers did go in guns drawn.

They all seem to be xbox/ps3-4 related types of incidents. People need to stop putting their personal information out there.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
06-08-14, 07:20
Happened in my neck of the woods.

No swat team came out, but a bunch of officers did go in guns drawn.

They all seem to be xbox/ps3-4 related types of incidents. People need to stop putting their personal information out there.
Doesn't seem like the info is out there from the report it was talking about hacking.

hatt
06-08-14, 07:32
Finally, a good use for the NSA's domestic spying program. Tracking down SWATers.

C-grunt
06-08-14, 09:30
Recently had one here. Guy was a moderator for a Xbox clan or something and kicked a dude out. Dude somehow hacked his system and called 911 from his phone saying he was hiding in the closet and a home invasion was going on. We had a full blown hostage scenario going before the victim realized the SWAT team was outside and came out.

Voodoo_Man
06-08-14, 11:31
Doesn't seem like the info is out there from the report it was talking about hacking.

Recently had one here. Guy was a moderator for a Xbox clan or something and kicked a dude out. Dude somehow hacked his system and called 911 from his phone saying he was hiding in the closet and a home invasion was going on. We had a full blown hostage scenario going before the victim realized the SWAT team was outside and came out.

The occupants rarely know exactly what is going on, until we are 30 minutes into, kinda sad.

"hacking" wasn't really used, in my local situation, the doer told the officers over the phone that he had simply been collecting data on people he was playing with slowly over a few weeks and one day one of them (guy in my AO) decided to be an asshole to him so he googled the local police number (not 911, obviously) and called it in.

BoringGuy45
06-08-14, 15:46
Why waste tax-payer money on crap that they're never going to use?

Kind of absurd in my opinion.

For the same reason that we carry guns everywhere we legally can, regardless of crime rate: Because shit can and does happen. This isn't to say that I'm in denial of law enforcement agencies misusing or overusing SWAT teams, but better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one. Where I live, with the exception of the larger towns that have their own SWAT teams, most the PDs are part of a regional law enforcement unit that provides specialized services including tactical teams. They don't get called out much, and they only train a couple days a month, but it's good to have them and it really doesn't cost us too much.

Irish
06-08-14, 15:53
Should've watched OP's video. Whoops!

scooter22
06-08-14, 18:02
For the same reason that we carry guns everywhere we legally can, regardless of crime rate: Because shit can and does happen. This isn't to say that I'm in denial of law enforcement agencies misusing or overusing SWAT teams, but better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one. Where I live, with the exception of the larger towns that have their own SWAT teams, most the PDs are part of a regional law enforcement unit that provides specialized services including tactical teams. They don't get called out much, and they only train a couple days a month, but it's good to have them and it really doesn't cost us too much.

I agree, with the bolded statements. However, as stated in the video, 50,000/year?! That's insanity.

How often are SWAT teams/vehicles really necessary?

At the end of the video, the Sgt makes a valid argument about responding to an active shooter or the like, which is the only point I personally agree with.

WillBrink
06-08-14, 18:25
God/Allah/Shiva help the POS who's pulling such a "prank" that I'm not on the jury for their case.

scooter22
06-08-14, 19:26
God/Allah/Shiva help the POS who's pulling such a "prank" that I'm not on the jury for their case.

It's absolutely ridiculous.