PDA

View Full Version : Search For Hangover Cure continues.

WillBrink
06-08-14, 15:17
Product mentioned at the end that may actually work is Dihydromyricetin (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3292407/).

Everything you think you know about hangovers is wrong.

That’s because science hasn’t really studied them much. We know more about outer space than we do about what’s going on with you the morning after you thought it would be clever to down 10 PBRs and dance on a bar. Only 406 out of 658,610 biomedical journal studies listed in a database covered the subject.

We don’t even know what causes a hangover, notes Wired articles editor Adam Rogers in “Proof,” a romp through the world of alcohol.

Science has just begun to study the hangover — it was only in the last few years that researchers even agreed on a definition. So far, though, the labs are working through the various theories like dehydration, the sugar content and the purity of what you drink.

Did you know 23% of people don’t get hangovers? It’s unclear why. But it’s probably a bad thing: Having the gene mutation linked to hangover resistance appears to be linked to . . . alcoholism. Yes, hangovers are a useful little jab in the ribs from Mother Nature.

If you ever reach a .10 on the blood-alcohol content scale, congratulations. Hangover is all but assured — and peak symptoms will occur when your BAC drops back to near zero, or about 12 to 14 hours after peak drunkenness.

Is a hangover just dehydration? Boozing does dry you out — but that isn’t what causes the hangover. Electrolyte levels don’t change much when you’re hung over.

As for sugary drinks, it might be wise to avoid them. One study showed that a factor making hangovers worse was lactate. Where does lactate come from? Combining ethanol (booze) with glucose.

Nevertheless, if low blood sugar was the problem, a morning-after cupcake should help cure the hangover. Research says it doesn’t.

The alcohol-purity argument you often hear from fans of pure vodka also may have a drop of truth to it: Some drinks contain lots of fermentation byproducts called “congeners.”

One study, which hasn’t been published but was presented at a conference, ranked drinks with lots of congeners as major hangover producers.

In order from worst hangover inducers to least, the paper said, are brandy, red wine, rum, whisky, white wine, gin, then vodka. But this hasn’t been proven.

Is a hangover a kind of drug withdrawal? Probably not. The symptoms are different.

So, why does hair of the dog seem to work? For a roundabout reason:

Methanol — wood alcohol, the bad stuff, the kind that keeps hillbilly ophthalmologists in business — is actually present in small amounts in nearly every kind of alcoholic drink. The body breaks down these trace amounts quickly but turns it to formaldehyde, which in turn converts to formic acid, or ant venom.

Formic acid is nasty stuff. It inhibits the use of oxygen, which first manifests itself as poor vision because the optic nerves require lots of oxygen. A dose of ethanol, or hair of the dog, distracts your alcohol-breakdown enzyme: It drops the methanol and focuses on the ethanol. The methanol then may be excreted before it turns into poison. Doctors even treat methanol poisoning with ethanol, Rogers says.

The bad news is that the effect doesn’t last long enough for all the methanol to dissipate, so it generally just postpones the hangover. And as you’d guess, it’s correlated with problem drinking.

Some researchers discount the methanol-poisoning theory of hangovers entirely. They point instead to elevated levels of molecules called cytokines, which are essential to the immune system but in high levels cause inflammation. Injecting subjects who haven’t had a drink with these little devils causes nausea, headache, chills, fatigue, memory impairment — the teetotaler’s hangover.

So, when can we expect the big breakthrough — the magic bullet that shoots down all those Silver Bullets that laid you low?

It could be in a drug called ampelopsin, aka dihydromyricetin, found in oriental raisin trees. It’s a traditional Chinese cure that may actually work, and is now being sold over the counter as BluCetin.

UCLA researcher Richard Olsen, who has been studying the effects of low to moderate drinking, thinks the drug may bind to an ethanol receptor called delta-GABA-R — and deflect booze.

Then again, do we really want a society in which heavy drinking occurred without automatic retribution? College students might binge-drink themselves into a collective stupor. Drunk driving could see an uptick. And, alarming as it is to think about, “The Hangover, Part IV” could be even more boring than III.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/07/everything-you-know-about-hangovers-is-wrong/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

SilverBullet432
06-08-14, 16:23
Hangover cure? Menudo....

interfan
06-08-14, 21:35
Drink three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil prior to drinking = no problems with hangover

Abraham
06-09-14, 14:28
Drink lots of water before you go to bed.

Also, a big cheeseburger helps.

And, lots of sleep helps. Get drunk and have to get up early, oh gawd, my head/stomach/hair...

Will any of this prevent/cure a h.o.?

Nope, just makes it more bearable.

The only cure is to remain stubbornly sober, a dreary thought...

Doc Safari
06-09-14, 14:36
Take Alka Seltzer, a multi-B vitamin (particularly B1), and eat a decent breakfast.

fixit69
06-09-14, 14:42
Water and Vicodin...and a greasy porkchop sanwich with wants left in an ashtrays on top.

HES
06-09-14, 14:45
At one time in my life my cure involved breaking in to our aid bags and hanging a 500cc bag. Then it was 3 quarts of Gatorade. One before we went out, one in the middle of the evening, and one right before I went to bed.

austinN4
06-09-14, 14:50
The South Korean rapper behind the mega-hit "Gangnam Style" is back with a new music video and this time he's showing Snoop Dogg how to recover from a hangover. (June 9) SOURCE: AP

http://video.statesman.com/Psy-Teams-Up-With-Snoop-Dogg-for-New-Video-26240079?playlistId=507#.U5YPi5sjwjC

markm
06-09-14, 15:39

And a Coke.

I thought an I.V. was a quick, no B.S. way to cure the hangover.

chuckman
06-09-14, 15:42
IV fluids (with a banana bag) and 100% O2 in a hyperbaric chamber. Followed by Taco Bell or Denny's.

WillBrink
06-09-14, 17:32
Drink lots of water before you go to bed.

Also, a big cheeseburger helps.

And, lots of sleep helps. Get drunk and have to get up early, oh gawd, my head/stomach/hair...

Will any of this prevent/cure a h.o.?

Nope, just makes it more bearable.

The only cure is to remain stubbornly sober, a dreary thought...

My greyhound Luck agrees with you:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/8db698c76033505f04d37d6fb1577c8fd6103ef8bc6c03eab53c704289031c2c_zps314c1fc7.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/8db698c76033505f04d37d6fb1577c8fd6103ef8bc6c03eab53c704289031c2c_zps314c1fc7.jpg.html)

SilverBullet432
06-09-14, 17:38
And a Coke.

Only way! (Don't forget the toast!)

montanadave
06-09-14, 17:42
Followed by Taco Bell or Denny's.

Back in the day, this was a sure-fire solution. Until I found a piece of gum in my breakfast skillet. It was never the same after that so I just switched to gin and grapefruit juice.

OldState
06-09-14, 18:09
And a Coke.

When my buddy was stationed in Germany back the 1990's they used to get IV's and he said it worked almost instantly.

As for me, I used rarely got hung over when I was young even when I drank 10-12 beers. What seemed to help was

1)drinking quality beer
2) always eating something before I went to sleep
3) drinking a bottle of Gatorade, water or iced tea

Now I rarely drink more than 1 beer or wine on a weekend night since I have 2 kids and other things to worry about.

Recently I drank about 14 pints of Guinness over 5 hours at a party I held. More than I have in many years. In my drunkenness still considered the possibility of a mean hangover. So I ate a half hoagie, drank 2 bottles of water and took a multi vitamin. I awoke with nothing more than a strong urge to take a dump.

SteyrAUG
06-09-14, 18:25
This is why I don't drink. I'm way too much of a control freak to enjoy the sensation of not being able to control myself with the reward of a violent headache and marathon vomiting.

Don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Even after an injury I will avoid some prescription pain killers if they make me feel dopey. My only vice is good food, I can't eat Taco Bell or Denny's, probably been 20 years.

tb-av
06-09-14, 18:59
Yep, I haven't had a single hangover since I quit drinking. Works like a charm and it's free. ... but I did think the new deal was an iv for an instant cure. I thought they had buses in Miami that drove around in the mornings. they hook you up, drive you around a bit and when you get back to your spot you are back to normal.

I figured the kids must have already figured out a DIY home version by now... although I guess the supplies are hard to come by if you are not a doctor.... I'm a 'fainter' ( which is a PITA not to mention embarrassing ) so that would cure my hangover right there, show me the needle and I'll pass out and just sleep it off.

I don't think I ever got a hangover after a wedding where there was continuous drinking and lots of rich food. I don't believe that 'this gives you a hangover easier' deal... I've had a hangover from just about everything and sometimes from drinking very little. It's a strange situation that's for sure and one I don't miss at all.

walkin' trails
06-09-14, 20:53

Or posole, which I think is even better. Margaritas do work, but unfortunately lead to the same condition all over again.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

tb-av
06-09-14, 21:20

Holy cow! ... talk about the cure being worse than the disease.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQ3O444sDM ... that's like the alcoholic's version of scared straight.

J-Dub
06-09-14, 21:40
Don't put poison in your body....its a pretty simple concept.

graffex
06-09-14, 22:12
I just learned to embrace the hangover. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter :)

Belmont31R
06-09-14, 22:16
Don't put poison in your body....its a pretty simple concept.

To each their own but aside from excess drinking there are some benefits to wine and mental health.

HKGuns
06-09-14, 22:17
I get nasty dirty ball busting hangovers that last the entire next day. Consequently I don't drink very much at all, it just isn't worth the price.

Failure2Stop
06-09-14, 22:32
All things in moderation, including moderation.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

BoringGuy45
06-09-14, 23:07
I've only had 2 hangovers in my life. Both times the cure was downing my 32 oz water bottle three times over a period of about two hours and taking 3 Ibuprofen. You'll still feel a little sluggish for most of the day, but the headache is pretty much under control as soon as the pills kick in, and the hydration makes it so the headache doesn't come back.

Koshinn
06-09-14, 23:37
I always thought hangovers were dehydration. So I always drink at least two tall glasses of water before sleeping if I can. Also, something with electrolytes like Gatorade helps a lot.

As a result, I've never had a hangover, just a huge urge to piss at some point.

TriviaMonster
06-10-14, 00:23
I always use to pop a few blotters of LSD when I woke up. No hangover! I'm only kidding, I never drink. Or use LSD. My friend in high school did, and he spent a solid 20mins trying to convince me that Michael Phelps was part of a government program to mate humans with dolphins. That will scare you straight.

But really, I use to take a few advil and suck down some water and food before I slept. That always seemed to work, but as I get older hangovers get worse. I maybe drink one beer every few months now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Endur
06-10-14, 02:18
I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half of water & the occasional cup of milk daily. If I am drinking, I just throw in a couple of glasses of water while I am drinking and after I am done and I pretty much never get a hangover. I also don't eat garbage either so that helps as well.

Arctic1
06-10-14, 05:09
My understanding is as follows, after discussing this with buddies who are doctors.

Alcohol is a diuretic, when you consume it you inhibit your ADH - Anti-diuretic hormone production (Vasopressin, made in the posterior pituitary gland).
This is why people tend to piss a whole lot more when drinking -> reduced fluids -> retained electrolyte levels (salts) -> hypertonic/hypernatremic dehydration. This means that the extracellular fluid has an increased concentration of sodium, and will attract intracellular fluid.

This leads to headaches and the dehydrated feeling.

montanadave
06-10-14, 07:36
So it seems the consensus cure would be: get up, start IV, hang a liter banana bag, take 800mg vitamin I (ibuprofen), wash two tabs of acid down with a quart of Gatorade spiked with a pint of Malibu rum, two eggs over easy, bacon, hash browns, and toast, followed by a big dump.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

chuckman
06-10-14, 08:08
So it seems the consensus cure would be: get up, start IV, hang a liter banana bag, take 800mg vitamin I (ibuprofen), wash two tabs of acid down with a quart of Gatorade spiked with a pint of Malibu rum, two eggs over easy, bacon, hash browns, and toast, followed by a big dump.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

Sounds about right to me.

Spurholder
06-10-14, 09:48
Twenty years ago, I'd tell you guys to never underestimate the value of a 12 ounce can of PBR 1st thing in the morning after a bender.

The last time I partied hard, the hangover lasted three days. That one was enough for me.

OldState
06-10-14, 12:50
I think another reason I avoided most hangovers is that I was blessed with an internal alarm that warns me I'm about to consume to much of something. I will usually stop and drink water if I'm out at a bar until my body tells me it ok to proceed.
I can usually tell with great accuracy exactly how bad I will feel in the morning based on how I feel before I go to bed.

Sound simple but it seems the majority of people lack this ability for some reason...or don't pay attention to the signs

Doc Safari
06-10-14, 12:53
I think people also forget that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

"Liquor before beer: Never fear; beer before liquor: never been sicker."

polydeuces
06-10-14, 18:06
Ideally one should eat a lot before drinking - lotsa greasy protein rich stuff, and while drinking keep eating more of the same.

This plus doing lots of Peruvian Marching Powder from a hot prostitute's ass (the Secret Service Special) WILL prevent you from getting sick, allow you to drink like a maniac all night long, do LOTS of stupid shit, but alas...won't keep a hangover at bay.

For that I highly recommend an IV combined with most anything ending with 'O-N-E..." (hydrocod, oxycod, hydromorph, also refered to as the IAS...'Impaired Anesthesiologist Special') - which should only be used for those rare and extreme occasions - spectacularly effective, but of-course presenting their own set of risks.

Spurholder
06-11-14, 08:04
This plus doing lots of Peruvian Marching Powder from a hot prostitute's ass (the Secret Service Special) WILL prevent you from getting sick, allow you to drink like a maniac all night long, do LOTS of stupid shit, but alas...won't keep a hangover at bay.

Isn't that plan also known as the John Entwistle? Guess it's better suited for guys under the age of 50...

polydeuces
06-11-14, 16:32
Isn't that plan also known as the John Entwistle? Guess it's better suited for guys under the age of 50...

Yeah, or how about 'the John Bonham'....but I was trying to stay current.
(what is it with those base/drum guys, by the way?)

You know you're getting too old for that shit when the hangover lasts 3 days, there's only so much you can do with O-N-E...

TriviaMonster
06-11-14, 18:54
Why don't we ask John Boehner?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GotAmmo
06-11-14, 19:47
Coca Cola and Cornbread

those were my weekend staples when stationed at Hunter Army Airfield .. thankfully they did brunch on weekends

Abraham
06-17-14, 14:44
I just came back across this thread.

I have 2 questions: What's in most I.V. bags for hangover treatment - lactated Ringer's?

Why is John Boehner's name pronounced Bay-ner, when it's clearly Boner?

LHS
06-18-14, 00:34
My worst hangovers came from sugary drinks. Mead was a bad one, as was rum, and later a dance with Jameson & ginger ale. My bachelor party was probably the worst, and that was a ton of Irish car bombs, combined with malty amber ale and a few shots of single-malt Scotch.

I found that the best hangover cure was hangover prevention, i.e. don't drink so much, and pound water along with the booze. If it came down to fixing the damage in the morning, I found that Gatorade's "Propel" water worked better than anything else I tried. Gatorade itself is too sweet, water didn't seem to work as well, but Propel seemed the magic ratio of carbs/electrolytes and hydration.

montanadave
06-18-14, 08:21
I just came back across this thread.

I have 2 questions: What's in most I.V. bags for hangover treatment - lactated Ringer's?

Why is John Boehner's name pronounced Bay-ner, when it's clearly Boner?

The I.V. fluids we typically used for alkies were normal saline spiked with B vitamins and mag. sulphate. The B vitamins gave it a yellow tint, hence the moniker "banana bag."

chuckman
06-18-14, 09:00
The I.V. fluids we typically used for alkies were normal saline spiked with B vitamins and mag. sulphate. The B vitamins gave it a yellow tint, hence the moniker "banana bag."

Yup. Gotta replace the electrolytes and vitamins. Barring the availability, we use(d) LR. Those + O2 = fast recovery (for me, at least). That was many moons ago.

MistWolf
06-18-14, 10:51
This is why I don't drink. I'm way too much of a control freak to enjoy the sensation of not being able to control myself with the reward of a violent headache and marathon vomiting.

Don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Even after an injury I will avoid some prescription pain killers if they make me feel dopey. My only vice is good food, I can't eat Taco Bell or Denny's, probably been 20 years.

I'm with you on this one, at every point. It amazes me that folks can read all the medical facts on alcohol and still drink! :jester:

chuckman
06-18-14, 11:53
I'm with you on this one, at every point. It amazes me that folks can read all the medical facts on alcohol and still drink! :jester:

Drink...eat red meat, eat fried foods...pick your poison.

ptmccain
06-18-14, 12:07
Boehner is an "Americanized" form of the German name "Böhner"

The "oe" is the closest approximation phonetically to the German O with an Umlaut sound if you are unable to write/type/print a ö, the little two dot thingies are the "umlaut" mark.

And as it comes out, Americans will repeat it by saying "B-long a sound-ner"

FWIW.

MistWolf
06-18-14, 13:33
Drink...eat red meat, eat fried foods...pick your poison.

Red meat & fried foods have their ill affects but pale in comparison to alcohol. Driving under the influence of fried chicken ain't a patch on the dangers of navigatin' in the glow of moonshine

chuckman
06-18-14, 13:49
Red meat & fried foods have their ill affects but pale in comparison to alcohol. Driving under the influence of fried chicken ain't a patch on the dangers of navigatin' in the glow of moonshine

In what? Immediate outcome of binging? Or healthcare dollars to treat and fix? I can can point to many articles that tout the benefits of alcohol (in moderation, of course), but I would be hard pressed to find one advocating the double cardiac arrest burger. Now, my caveat is that I am talking about alcohol with moderation. Of course we all know the perils of intoxication and long-term effects of alcoholism.

I'll have a couple beers or glasses of wine, but you won't see me scarfing a bag of doritos or a half-gallon of Blue Bell. Again, I like all things in moderation.

montanadave
06-21-14, 09:51
A recent article from The Atlantic's website on hangovers: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/the-painful-science-of-hangovers/373138/

The author mentions an article by Verster and Penning published in June of 2010 which can be downloaded (Google "treatment and prevention of alcohol hangover and Verster"). The entire issue of Current Drug Abuse Reviews devoted to the alcohol hangover is available as a PDF file. Quite interesting reading for those who really want to dig in on the pathophysiology of hangovers and the efficacy (or lack thereof) of many of the commonly prescribed cures.

WillBrink
06-21-14, 14:51
A recent article from The Atlantic's website on hangovers: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/the-painful-science-of-hangovers/373138/

The author mentions an article by Verster and Penning published in June of 2010 which can be downloaded (Google "treatment and prevention of alcohol hangover and Verster"). The entire issue of Current Drug Abuse Reviews devoted to the alcohol hangover is available as a PDF file. Quite interesting reading for those who really want to dig in on the pathophysiology of hangovers and the efficacy (or lack thereof) of many of the commonly prescribed cures.

Good read. The Atlantic article a good compliment to the article I linked to in the OP.