PDA

View Full Version : Bolt carrier group questions (materials,finishes,and treatments)

Hicklinc
06-09-14, 07:50
I have several question but I will start with I'm going with a nitride barrel do you guys think its important to also go with nitride bcg

markm
06-09-14, 08:01
No. A standard BCG is the answer for 99% of shooters out there.

Hicklinc
06-09-14, 08:12

Even if its the same price

djegators
06-09-14, 08:12

I would agree with this....a good quality milspec like BCM or Colt will work and has been working well for a long time.

markm
06-09-14, 08:17

Neither COLT nor BCM make a Nitrided BCG. And one of those two criteria must be met before I'll click buy. I've run almost all of the other stuff out there, and none of it is as good as a BCM or COLT bcg.

Hicklinc
06-09-14, 08:22
Neither COLT nor BCM make a Nitrided BCG. And one of those two criteria must be met before I'll click buy. I've run almost all of the other stuff out there, and none of it is as good as a BCM or COLT bcg.

By not as good do you mean they are not as durable

BufordTJustice
06-09-14, 08:57

Yes. Nitride can induce embrittlement issues in small parts (like bolt lugs?). I wouldn't risk it.

I'd add LMT to BCM/Colt for BCG options. It's a short list of equipment to which I'll trust my life

Hicklinc
06-09-14, 09:01
Yes. Nitride can induce embrittlement issues in small parts (like bolt lugs?). I wouldn't risk it.

I'd add LMT to BCM/Colt for BCG options. It's a short list of equipment to which I'll trust my life

Alright that's what I'm looking for some actual facts not just the milspec bcm bla bla

ROK
06-09-14, 10:32
I have a Rubber City bcg in a pistol. Just to use it.
Bought the Rubber City bcg at the height of the Panic last year as the only bcg I could find at the time.
Moved it to the parts box when Grant got some BCMs in.
The Rubber City has a home in a pistol (toy) now. If it breaks-it breaks on a range or fun day. No harm-no foul.

My carbine and rifles use Colt (18"), BCM (20"), and LMT enhanced (16"). These are the guns I'd rely on to work no matter what.