PDA

View Full Version : Help picking out a bipod

ColtM4Carbine
06-09-14, 11:03
Looking to purchase a bipod for primarily bench shooting. It will be going on my Colt 6920 with a DD RIS II rail. I have done some research and it seems I can't go wrong with Harris, Atlas, or GG&G. Just need some help picking out one between the three as well as picking out a mount if necessary. It seems some bipods come with a QD mount and others I need to purchase separately. Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

Koshinn
06-09-14, 11:06
Harris is cheaper, tilts side to side, and deploys quickly. It requires an adapter most likely, although modification exist (like from Larue) that allow it to mount directly to a rail.

Atlas mounts directly to a rail. It's built like a tank. It has yaw and tilt and the legs can be locked in a huge amount of positions. The feet can be replaced for spikes or other things depending on your shooting environment and the legs can be extended.

If you have the extra $150 for the Atlas, get it.

BTL BRN
06-09-14, 11:18
I am not sure when it will be released, but Atlas has a NEW BIPOD (http://www.accu-shot.com/PSR_Atlas_Bipods.php) that apparantly has been showing up in the wild.

I am very happy with my Atlas and ADM mount.

markm
06-09-14, 11:24
Looking to purchase a bipod for primarily bench shooting.

I've never liked shooting a bipod on the bench. You can't load the pod, and that drives me nuts. I even tried using sand bags in front of the legs, but it still wasn't enough. It'd be nice to have a bench mat that had a bi pod bump in it.

ColtM4Carbine
06-09-14, 11:26
edit.

Hispanic_Hercules
06-09-14, 11:27
If you have the cash, I would definitely go Atlas, followed by G&G and than Harris. I love my Harris bipods don't get me wrong and they function well, but if you take a look at an Atlas.. There is no going back

Koshinn
06-09-14, 11:27
I've never liked shooting a bipod on the bench. You can't load the pod, and that drives me nuts. I even tried using sand bags in front of the legs, but it still wasn't enough. It'd be nice to have a bench mat that had a bi pod bump in it.

I use a shooting mat on the bench that lets me load the pod. It's one of those very light weight ones, probably 2 layers of 1000d cordura and a single padded section for your elbows. I got it from DSGarms, it's a Bushido Tactical mat for like $35. I had a strip of 1000d sewed in to the front to let me load the bipod.

ColtM4Carbine
06-09-14, 11:46
I'm thinking this is what I need:

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=68

Biggy
06-09-14, 11:53
I am not sure when it will be released, but Atlas has a NEW BIPOD (http://www.accu-shot.com/PSR_Atlas_Bipods.php) that apparantly has been showing up in the wild.

I am very happy with my Atlas and ADM mount.

I got the new version today (range of elevation is 7 – 13” BT47 Tall with ADM mount). They had a pre-order over at SN forum 3-5 months ago. IMHO, they made some improvements.
http://forum.snipershide.com/s4-sniper%92s-hide%AE-equipment/229008-new-atlas-bipod-way-updated-psr-model.html

Airhasz
06-09-14, 13:43
I'm thinking this is what I need:

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=68

That will work for sure. I got mine from Larue Tactical with Larue's mount, works perfect and matches all my other mounts. Atlas is the way to go if you can swing the cash.

BTL BRN
06-09-14, 14:34
I got the new version today (range of elevation is 7 – 13” BT47 Tall with ADM mount). They had a pre-order over at SN forum 3-5 months ago. IMHO, they made some improvements.
http://forum.snipershide.com/s4-sniper%92s-hide%AE-equipment/229008-new-atlas-bipod-way-updated-psr-model.html

Nice! I will most likely upgrade when they are more readily available.

Airhasz
06-09-14, 16:22
Thought I read the new atlas was going to be a direct connect keymod mount?

LMT Shooter
06-10-14, 01:30
Anybody tried Versa-Pod?

krisjon
06-10-14, 01:51
Thought I read the new atlas was going to be a direct connect keymod mount?

If that's true, my decision is made.
Anyone else see or hear of this?

RWCRaiden
06-10-14, 17:21
Harris. Hands down.

JohnnyC
06-10-14, 19:57
Harris or Atlas. Don't even bother with the GG&G. If you've got a big freakin' gun get the LRA.

ra2bach
06-11-14, 12:30
Harris is cheaper, tilts side to side, and deploys quickly. It requires an adapter most likely, although modification exist (like from Larue) that allow it to mount directly to a rail.

Atlas mounts directly to a rail. It's built like a tank. It has yaw and tilt and the legs can be locked in a huge amount of positions. The feet can be replaced for spikes or other things depending on your shooting environment and the legs can be extended.

If you have the extra $150 for the Atlas, get it.

needs and wants... if you are the type of shooter that NEEDS an Atlas, well, you know...

however, if you're the type of shooter that doesn't really need one, wanting it enough can make it seem like a need. just ask my wife... :rolleyes:

ra2bach
06-11-14, 12:31
Anybody tried Versa-Pod?

versa pod works better with traditional stocked rifles. at least that's what I've found...

Jellybean
06-17-14, 19:44
needs and wants... if you are the type of shooter that NEEDS an Atlas, well, you know...

Well, see here's the thing with the Atlas- once you see one, you NEED one. :laugh:

IMHO, it is better than anything else out there.
About a year back when I was looking seriously into getting into precision shooting, I researched the crap out of everything, and came to this conclusion: The Harris is fine, it will get the job done. But even if you don't have the money, you should still get the Atlas because it is that much better.
I should never have gone over to snipershide- it's spoiled me for life.... :help:

graffex
06-17-14, 20:02
The Atlas bipod is hands down the best IMO.

JohnnyC
06-18-14, 02:06
The Atlas bipod is hands down the best IMO.

"At certain things" should be attached to the end of it, and really to any bipod discussion. That Atlas is a fine piece of gear, but there are times when it is not the best tool for the job. Watch any serious sniper competition, especially the gamer ones. Typically the Harris shines in that quick, reactionary type of scenario. Where the Atlas has it handily beat is the spot and stalk where you're making a shot that requires the added flexibility of the Atlas in terms of leg location and position. Then there's stuff like the LRA, for when you have a gun that holds 1/2 MOA to 3 counties over, and doesn't go transonic for at least 4 miles....