PDA

View Full Version : Flat base vs boattail charges

tcoz
06-09-14, 18:33
I'm a long time pistol reloader and just now starting to study reloading for rifle, specifically .223. My question is whether flat base and boattail bullets of equivalent weight are loaded with the same charge or do they require different charges. Thanks in advance.

markm
06-09-14, 21:25
I always use the same data and chrono/group from there. I've really only shot a bunch of Hornady 55 gr SP bullets though. I have some 60 grain Bergers I've been meaning to get to.

I'd guess the bearing surface would be more critical than the bullet shape. A heavy flat base bullet having a lot of bearing surface in the bore. Do you have any specific bullets you're using?

tcoz
06-10-14, 03:47
I'm just beginning to learn about rifle reloading and one of the things I've noticed is that there are more relevant bullet types available than there are with pistol and I'm trying to get used to the designations. I haven't bought bullets yet, but I'm planning to just use a 55 grain FMJ since I do some shooting indoors and that's all they allow. You said that you use Hornady SP bullets. I know the SP refers to spire point, but is that the same as FMJ? One designation seems to describe the shape of the bullet and the other describes the type. I'm a little confused.

I buy my pistol bullets from X-Treme bullets (Freedom Munitions) and unless people recommend otherwise, I'll probably continue to do so. Anybody have a better source to suggest?

Colt guy
06-10-14, 07:08
The Hornady SP is a soft point bullet and is not the same as a FMJ or full metal jacket. I prefer to use Hornady bullets, brass and presses.

Boat tail bullets are best for longer ranges two hundred years or more, but they are easier to load.

tcoz
06-10-14, 07:36
The Hornady SP is a soft point bullet and is not the same as a FMJ or full metal jacket. I prefer to use Hornady bullets, brass and presses.

Boat tail bullets are best for longer ranges two hundred years or more, but they are easier to load.

In what type of applications are soft point preferable to FMJ and vice versa and why do you use them? If boat tail bullets are easier to load (I can understand why), what is the downside to using them?

Sorry to be asking so many questions. You've been a tremendous source of basic info for me and I appreciate it.

anachronism
06-10-14, 08:28
In what type of applications are soft point preferable to FMJ and vice versa and why do you use them? If boat tail bullets are easier to load (I can understand why), what is the downside to using them?

Sorry to be asking so many questions. You've been a tremendous source of basic info for me and I appreciate it.

Soft point bullets are used when bullet expansion on the target is desired, either for hunting or self-defense. You can get decent 223 bullets for deer-sized game, but the vast majority of 223 expanding bullets are intended for varmint hunting. FMJ bullets are normally used by the military to be in compliance with the Hague Convention guidelines for military ammunition. Boattail bullets are simple more aerodynamic, and drop slightly less at distances over 200 yards. They are not more accurate simply because of the boattail. Flat based bullets are generally more accurate, but drop more at extended ranges. Bullet quality is the real key, some people perceive BT bullets to be more accurate simply because most high end bullet makers use this design. It would be best to remember that there are cheaply made boat tail bullets out there too, and that cheap bullets never really exhibit the potential of the high end stuff (naturally). This is the point where somebody is likely to post that they've been using cheap bullets for years, and that they're as accurate, or more accurate as the high dollar ones. First and foremost, you have to take into account the intended purpose. 200 yard 1 inch groups require far less bullet performance than the same sized group at say 500 yards. Also, load development is critical to accuracy, and when shooting at long range, the performance of every cartridge component starts coming into play. The case, primer, powder charge, as well as how you process your components all have bearing on accuracy.

markm
06-10-14, 08:29

Flat base bullets can produce the best accuracy inside of 100 or so. I think that's what a lot of Benchrest shooters do use or have used over the years. The flat base decreases the Ballistic Coefficient of the bullet so they don't do as good as boat tails at longer distances.

The boat tails sit in the case mouth nicer when seating. So it's really preference for you. I generally get bullets from Midway or Wideners.

SlimMan
06-12-14, 11:01
If you check your manuals, you'll see that for a particular weight SP and BT tend to be grouped together (e.g., Sierra shows the same charges for TNT HP, FMJ BT, Spitz SP, and SP/cann; although they do show different data for the TBBC design because it has a "unique ballistic behavior"). That suggests there isn't a lot of difference in terms of powder charge for most jacketed bullets of the same weight).

BTW, you might find the BT design a bit easier to seat since the boattail portion sits in, rather and on, the case mouth.