PDA

View Full Version : A piece of family history. Walther P38

DeviousMind
06-09-14, 21:00
This pistol was brought home from Bastogne by my great uncle. He arrived in France on June 7 1944 and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. From what my father has told me as most men who have seen combat, my Uncle Paul didn't really talk about his time in WW2. But the story goes, my uncle was in his fox hole when a German solider jumped into it with him not realizing my uncle was in it. Well that was the last thing this German solider did as my uncle shot him with his rifle. Upon his return after being wounded pretty bad he gave this pistol to my grandfather his brother. When my grandpa died in 1988 my Dad offered my uncle Paul this back but he wouldn't take it. He wanted my dad to have it. Well as it turns out my father has told me that he has willed this to me. I don't have the words, I will always cherish this. My father claims he will come back after his death to haunt me if I ever sell it, but not for a million bucks would I let this go. I am proud to one day have this and in time will pass it on to my son.

graffex
06-09-14, 22:01
Awesome piece of history you have there my friend. I'd never let it go.

SurplusShooter
06-09-14, 22:32
A Very good condition P38. And a great piece of family history.

bigghoss
06-09-14, 23:46
Very awesome.

RHINOWSO
06-10-14, 00:00
Wow, very cool. Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Trifecta
06-10-14, 01:59
Wonderful piece of family history there. Thanks for the read and pictures.

Scrubber3
06-10-14, 02:03
Beautiful! Is that the original holster?

Gadsden11
06-10-14, 03:30
Thanks for sharing this!! It reminds me of my grandfather, who has a story similar and also brought back a p-38. My godfather now has the pistol, holster, and a German officers uniform. I'm going to have to talk to him about it one of these days.

DeviousMind
06-10-14, 08:06
Beautiful! Is that the original holster?

Yes that is the original holster.

ColdDeadHands
06-10-14, 14:04
Very nice! If you ever shoot it you should replace the recoil spring. My first handgun was a p38 with aluminum frame and the frame developed a crack in the very front under the barrel. After doing so research I discovered that this is common if the recoil spring is worn out.
I loved that gun and will get another someday....awesome shooters.

Bret
06-10-14, 14:35
Made by Mauser in '44. That's something to be proud of.

wyld3man
06-12-14, 21:52
Very nice piece of history and a good story, you should have it framed!