PDA

View Full Version : What Can You Legally Can do to a Destructive Device.

ClassIIIGunsmith
06-09-14, 22:01
I've seen a few SPAS-12s' that were modified to be full auto. They were being sold as Destructive Devices which is a $200 NFA tax. Now I know the SPAS-12 is already a Destructive Device on its own since 94'. Is it legal to make them full auto and or a SBR and sell them only as a Destructive Device tax and not a machine gun tax/ SBR tax as well?

alienb1212
06-09-14, 22:04
I've seen a few SPAS-12s' that were modified to be full auto. They were being sold as Destructive Devices which is a $200 NFA tax. Now I know the SPAS-12 is already a Destructive Device on its own since 94'. Is it legal to make them full auto and or a SBR and sell them only as a Destructive Device tax and not a machine gun tax/ SBR tax as well?

I'd ask the ATF and not a forum full of not-lawyers....

dookie1481
06-11-14, 18:19
SPAS-12 is not a DD, it is a Title I firearm.

Bolt_Overide
06-12-14, 10:20
It is my understanding that converting anything to full auto classifies it as a machine gun. Doesnt matter if its .22 or a 155mm.

ClassIIIGunsmith
06-13-14, 10:02
SPAS-12 is not a DD, it is a Title I firearm.

My understanding is that back 1994 they left classification of a sporting purpose shotgun classification to a DD along with streetsweepers shotguns. And people cut the barrels down on streetsweepers because they got a short term exemption to keep it legally as long as it was registered, my father was one of them that got lucky about the streetsweeper issue.