PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe people actually do this - teen points laser at P.D. Chopper

Eurodriver
06-10-14, 11:05
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/6/9/laser_point_helicopt.html

http://www.baynews9.com/content/dam/news/images/2014/06/1/seminole-trevor-ragno-mug-060914.jpg

Deputies said Ragno was in the backyard of a friend's house when he was flashing the laser. Deputies said he did it several times before they were able to track him down.
Deputies said Ragno told them he didn't know he was committing a crime.

I would have no issues with the Sheriff Dept using a laser guided munition to take out morons pointing lasers at them. None whatsoever.

Apricotshot
06-10-14, 11:08
Yeah, read this last week. Total retard.

I do find it interesting during the Egypt fiasco the rioters lit up the attack choppers with lasers and it apprently worked well in the urban setting of making the helos ineffective.

Koshinn
06-10-14, 11:09
He looks like a mix between Michael C. Hall and Hugh Jackman.

markm
06-10-14, 11:14
I do find it interesting during the Egypt fiasco the rioters lit up the attack choppers with lasers and it apprently worked well in the urban setting of making the helos ineffective.

Hmmmm.... Sadly this may be an excellent tactic in our Country's not so distant future.

Irish
06-10-14, 12:52
It happens a lot. The FBI has a specific program (http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2014/laser-incidents-targeting-aircraft-on-the-rise-nationwide-incidents-up-39-percent-in-new-york-last-year) targeting the problem. Quoted from February 2014 link.

The FBI is offering new reward money for information that leads to the arrest of anyone who aims or has aimed a laser at an aircraft. The new reward is being issued as a result of a dramatic rise in reported laser incidents. Since the FBI began tracking laser strikes in 2005, statistics reflect a more than 1,100 percent increase nationwide in the deliberate targeting of aircraft by people with hand-held lasers. Laser incidents in New York were up 39 percent from 2012 to 2013.

In an effort to raise public awareness about the issue, the FBI has launched a targeted regional reward program, which will run for 60 days in 12 FBI field offices. As part of the pilot program, the FBI will offer a reward of up to $10,000 for information that leads to the arrest of any individual who aims a laser at an aircraft.

Many of the New York laser incidents have injured pilots and their crews. The latest injury was reported on December 26, 2013, by a JetBlue pilot on approach to New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. The JetBlue pilot experienced blurry vision for over a week after being temporarily blinded by a laser.

“Laser incidents are often viewed as harmless acts; this couldn’t be further from the truth. A laser pointed at a plane’s cockpit could blind a pilot and down an aircraft,” said Assistant Director in Charge George Venizelos. “We are asking anyone who knows anything about the recent spate of incidents to pick up the phone and call the FBI for the safety of all who fly.”

Number of reported laser incidents in the New York area:

2010: 52
2011: 97
2012: 71
2013: 99

C-grunt
06-10-14, 13:09
It happens a lot. When I work swing shift our chopper would constantly be on the radio talking about people shining lasers at them.

There is a small airport in North Phoenix called Deer Valley Airport. I've heard from a few pilots that they've had people shine lasers at them during landings.

ClearedHot
06-10-14, 21:04
Hmmmm.... Sadly this may be an excellent tactic in our Country's not so distant future.

Imagine if somebody used a GLARE MOUT instead of a 5mW laser pointer.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/01/28/946503_03_b_e_meyers_glare_mout_eof_lase_640.jpg

glocktogo
06-10-14, 21:45
We've had two in my AOR who've been caught in the past year. Both admitted to their stupidity after the second A/C they lased turned out to be the PD chopper. No one said they were criminal masterminds. :)

Eurodriver
06-11-14, 06:34
Imagine if somebody used a GLARE MOUT instead of a 5mW laser pointer.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/01/28/946503_03_b_e_meyers_glare_mout_eof_lase_640.jpg

The real way to go is using high power IR lasers like those on PEQ15s. They're scratching their eyelids from the inside before they even know something is wrong.

The_War_Wagon
06-11-14, 06:47
Ban on lasers coming in 3... 2... 1...

PD Sgt.
06-11-14, 08:27
When I was a suit I charged a few people with this under state code for lasing our choppers. They knew it was against the law, but were pretty surprised when they found out it was a felony.

It usually only happened when the chopper was low enough that the miscreant thought they would get the fun of seeing the dot on the airship. The problem with that was the pilots were pretty good at tracking it backward at that altitude.

rjacobs
06-11-14, 09:47
Guy in Cleveland(I think it was there) got 10 years I think. About 15-20 airplanes got lasered one night and they sent the police helo in and the guy lased them and they followed it in on the FLIR. Guy kept saying "wasnt me" until they showed him standing in the upper left corner window of his house lasing the police helo FLIR unit. I think they hit him with all 15-20 counts.

Ive been hit in the airplane 2 or 3 times. Nothing bad, but we knew somebody was trying to laser us. Once was at 25-30k feet or so, maybe higher and it was obvious he was trying for us.

duece71
06-11-14, 14:38
Yep, I have seen lasers pointing skywards when flying as well, particularly on final approach to an airport. Made a few reports to the Control Tower as well. I believe the authorities are serious and if they catch the perp, the person will end up in jail.

Moose-Knuckle
06-11-14, 15:38
It happens a lot. The FBI has a specific program (http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2014/laser-incidents-targeting-aircraft-on-the-rise-nationwide-incidents-up-39-percent-in-new-york-last-year) targeting the problem. Quoted from February 2014 link.

I was going to comment on this. The FFA/FBI have been looking into this for years. Happens all the time as jet liners come in for landings near major airports.