PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a 1-4 for my rifle

Venture
06-10-14, 13:47
Hi guys, im building a RECCE ish build you could say and im down to the optic. I was dead set on the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 but i was just looking at the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 standard cross hair. From the pics of the Standard cross hair Trijicon it looks like the cross hairs are really thick? is this just from the camera or is it like that in person? I don't have tons of money to spend, so is the Trijicon worth the extra $500 over the Vortex? im a new shooter but like to buy once cry once and i will be using this gun out to 300 yards max. Thanks for any advice.

bates
06-10-14, 15:30
To me if you are going to get the Trijicon 1-4 get the green triangle, its a great scope

that being said on a magnified optic i like to be able to adjust by using either the reticle turrets or both

Since your new get the vortex 1-4 it will serve you well, shoot alot and save your money

Skar
06-15-14, 07:57
How's the leopuld vxr 1.25 -4 stack up with the vortex pst 1-4
I've narrowed it down to these two

bighawk
06-15-14, 14:46
Hi guys, im building a RECCE ish build you could say and im down to the optic. I was dead set on the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 but i was just looking at the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 standard cross hair. From the pics of the Standard cross hair Trijicon it looks like the cross hairs are really thick? is this just from the camera or is it like that in person? I don't have tons of money to spend, so is the Trijicon worth the extra $500 over the Vortex? im a new shooter but like to buy once cry once and i will be using this gun out to 300 yards max. Thanks for any advice.

I've owned and used them both and personally preferred the Vortex myself. I sold them both because I didnt use them enough but if I ever went the 1-4 route again I would go with the Vortex.

Skar
06-15-14, 15:50
[QUOTE=bighawk;1934139]I've owned and used them both and personally preferred the Vortex myself. I sold them both because I didnt use them enough but if I ever went the 1-4 route again I would go with the

;)

Failure2Stop
06-15-14, 16:54
If you are on a budget, the SWFA 1-4 and 1-6 are very good.
So are the bushy 1-6.5s.
I would not recommend the Triji's.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Voodoo_Man
06-15-14, 17:04
My review of the leupold vx-r patrol 1-4x w/ spr reticle - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/10/leupold-vx-r-patrol-125-4x20-firedot-on.html

Having ran that, I am probably going to be moving on to a 1-6x.

As F2S stated, I would also stay away from the Trijicon's at this time, they are good, just need some more work to get to that excellent level.

Leupold is tough to beat no a days, as is SWFA. Depending on your requirements for an optic (daylight visible reticle, mil or moa, etc)

GotAmmo
06-15-14, 17:21
Burris MTAC 1x-4x-24mm

Since you're only reaching for 300m this would do fine. Depending on the version you get, it'll come with the Fastfire on top.

And the Illum is good also

I have one sitting on my MWS308 at the moment but I want to go further so I am looking at upgrading.

Voodoo_Man
06-15-14, 17:31
Burris MTAC 1x-4x-24mm

Since you're only reaching for 300m this would do fine. Depending on the version you get, it'll come with the Fastfire on top.

I have one sitting on my MWS308 at the moment but I want to go further so I am looking at upgrading.

I had an mtac, pity I didnt do a review on it.

At the 1x, I had an issue with indexing off the top of the horseshoe. So I canned it. Nice optic for the money, leupold is better glass.

GotAmmo
06-15-14, 17:56
that's the route I plan to go with the Mk 6 line

Trying to upgrade to the Leupold before August so I can do some hunting in Nebraska

MegademiC
06-15-14, 20:30
Keep in mind, you won't need ballistic reticles, so you want something that will show in all light and suck your eye in.

Failure2Stop
06-15-14, 20:40
And f**k a piggyback RDS on a 1-4.

K_K
06-15-14, 20:56
Burris MTAC 1x-4x-24mm

That is the same optic I was looking to get with the Fastfire III on top. I read the III is much stronger than II. All and All ~500 with the fast, scope, and mount. good deal cant wait to try it out.

cop1211
06-15-14, 22:02
Leupold VXR 1.25-4, small, light, daytime bright dot , pretty good glass.

Trijicon TR24, nice big eyebox, fast and easy to use on 1x, great in daylight , decent in low or no light, good glass.
I've had both never had an issue with either. I preferred the Leupold because of the illuminated red dot that is useable in all lighting conditions.

LoveAR
06-15-14, 22:21
I would not recommend the Triji's.

Why not? I have a T24 green and it has been super accurate. Is there something wrong with T24's?

Failure2Stop
06-15-14, 22:34
Why not? I have a T24 green and it has been super accurate. Is there something wrong with T24's?
They're fine for red dot distances, but past that, the vertical post covers important info, greatly reducing the ability to efficiently hold-over

jukeboxx13
06-16-14, 00:47
After owning a PST 1-4 I have come to the conclusion that 1-4/1-6 needs to have very very good glass to work well in all lighting condition, but most importantly low light because of their smaller objective.

Nightforce NXS
Trijicon VCOG
Leupold MK6
Elcan SpecterDR
Vortex Razor HD

and not in that order

mysak
06-18-14, 18:30
Does anyone have any real time with the Trijicon VCOG? Thats alot of money to throw around but they are cool.

Skar
06-18-14, 19:18
After owning a PST 1-4 I have come to the conclusion that 1-4/1-6 needs to have very very good glass to work well in all lighting condition, but most importantly low light because of their smaller objective.

Nightforce NXS
Trijicon VCOG
Leupold MK6
Elcan SpecterDR
Vortex Razor HD

and not in that order
So does that mean the vortex pst has good glass or not?

I'm leaning towards the Leupold VXR 1.25-4 the pst close 2nd

bighawk
06-18-14, 21:06
So does that mean the vortex pst has good glass or not?

I'm leaning towards the Leupold VXR 1.25-4 the pst close 2nd

The PST has good glass.. I think it's better than any other scopes in it's price range. The scopes listed above are in a much higher price range so they will obviously be some of the best glass you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoveAR
06-18-14, 21:19
Good info. Thanks Jack. My use is only short range so that explains it.

Skar
06-19-14, 04:56
The vxr and pst 1-4 are about the same price
On line $479 to $499
I've seen both capped ones
At this price.