PDA

View Full Version : Republican Eric Cantor has lost his seat in VA

tb-av
06-10-14, 19:14
This is a major political role reversal.

It is not only a shocker but he was actually being groomed to replace speaker of the house.

jpmuscle
06-10-14, 19:59
I'm pretty sure his victory was expected to be a landslide too.

I'm not seeing a downside to this lol

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Grand58742
06-10-14, 20:04
Only 534 left that need replacing.

NWPilgrim
06-10-14, 20:08
Republican blue bloods yapping for immigration amnesty will lose their base support. I have no idea who they think they are attracting. If you support amnesty and handouts you will vote for a Dem not a spineless Repub.

tb-av
06-10-14, 20:15
Yep! Sabato from UVA and a respected analyst said today he would be surprised if Cantor did not win with at least 60%. Cantor has forever simply been a shoe in. This guy Brat has basically come out of the woodwork and the little I have heard him speak he sounds good.

He's an economics professor from a small private college here. ... and up until just maybe this week he would have run unopposed. Now a Dem and another economics professor from the same college no less, has decided to run against him.

There may be hope on the horizon.

Even Brat's own people can't believe it.
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/2014-virginia-primary-election-dave-brat-107688.html

punkey71
06-10-14, 20:39
Proudly voted for Brat today and convinced some neighbors to join me.

Truly stunning.

Awesome, but stunning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sam
06-10-14, 20:52
This is the primary. Is candidate Brat going to have a chance against the democrat candidate?

jpmuscle
06-10-14, 20:55
For reference. Dems claim it was their doing.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2549558#.U5ez-vgPdBo.twitter

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

tb-av
06-10-14, 21:08
Well that's what I was saying above. Up until just recently he was going to run unopposed. IOW, had Cantor won, there would have been no opponent. My concern is that Dems helped this to happen but the geographic areas are not heavy Dem. So I think this was all Tea Party type mindset..... I hope anyway....

I'm not sure who the Dem is that has jumped in the game. I think with a win like this people will jump on board even more so. I feel like his chances are good. This is like a David and Goliath type win so hopefully the momentum will carry on.

-----------------------------------
Cantor's friends are FURIOUS, said he was told by consultants that he was up 20-30 points, didn't need to worry...
— Robert Costa (@costareports) June 11, 2014

I'll bet they are!

Brat's win was true grass roots. The professional tea party groups were NOT spending money in this race. #cantor
— Chuck Todd (@chucktodd) June 11, 2014

Brat will now go on to face Democrat Jack Trammell in the general election this November. Trammell is a professor at Randolph-Macon College, where Brat is also a professor.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/meet-jack-trammell-the-democrat-who-will-face-david-brat-the-man-who-beat-eric-cantor/2014/06/10/df00f972-f10a-11e3-914c-1fbd0614e2d4_story.html

glocktogo
06-10-14, 21:46
Apparently, reports of the Tea Party's death have been greatly exaggerated! :D

ABNAK
06-10-14, 21:53
Republican blue bloods yapping for immigration amnesty will lose their base support. I have no idea who they think they are attracting. If you support amnesty and handouts you will vote for a Dem not a spineless Repub.

After the 2012 election a local radio host read off the stats for Hispanic voters all the way back to Carter. Overall 2/3 voted Democrat. While that was the overall average, it varied slightly up or down in a few elections: Bush (W) got like 40+%.....one of the lowest was like 22% in the 1988 election which was the first one after Reagan's amnesty!. Guess it didn't win a lot of votes, huh?

They are NOT going to vote Republican!!!

I wish the R's would get that through their f*****g heads already.

Besides, if you are an American of Hispanic descent why the hell would you get bent over the conservatives being against illegal immigration? What kinship do they have with someone illegally crossing the border? If you're playing that ethno-race bullshit you're not a REAL American, and I don't give a damn what your birth certificate says. That is as bad as some blacks getting pissed 'cause we won't help Africa or allow Haitian immigrants who come here illegally. If it's all about them being your "brotha" or "hermano" then you have a seriously f***** up set of priorities and I don't want you on my side anyway. We need to quit pandering damnit!

LoveAR
06-10-14, 21:59
I have voted for many years. I voted against him last time. My vote may finally have worked. Good riddance...he was obviously more about himself than representing his constituants here in Henrico County.

Safetyhit
06-11-14, 07:18
This is the primary. Is candidate Brat going to have a chance against the democrat candidate?

Sure hope so or the Tea Party will have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

hatt
06-11-14, 09:03
Sure hope so or the Tea Party will have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

When was the first time?

Renegade
06-11-14, 09:23
When was the first time?

The witch.

Eurodriver
06-11-14, 09:25

Yes, Brat can easily win that district. It is solidly Republican and he's running against a nobody Dem like himself.

However, the Tea Party is not the one snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The GOP pushing RINOs like Romney down our throats is the issue. They need to give people a real choice, and not one that requires holding their nose while they push the button.

hatt
06-11-14, 09:29
The witch.Who?..

Renegade
06-11-14, 09:30
christine o'donnell

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 09:34

Seems like Cantor snatched victory from himself by being a poor rep for his district and pushing for things his constituents didn't like.

hatt
06-11-14, 09:36
christine o'donnellWasn't the Republicans in bed with the TEA Party in 10?

Renegade
06-11-14, 09:39
Wasn't the Republicans in bed with the TEA Party in 10?

Neither Republicans or Democrats are ever in bed with anyone who wants to oust incumbents.

skydivr
06-11-14, 09:50
The immigration issue is what sunk Cantor. What I read about this guy is that he's Catholic, very pro 2A and anti-abortion. I think he can win the general.

The REAL question is what will the Republican Party do? Will they now throw their support (and money) to the Republican nominee, or undermine him in retaliation for 'their' man not getting the nomination? The GOP had better think REAL HARD about their next move - as failing to support the NEW Republican Candidate will mark open warfare between them and the TEA Party...it would be a seriously BAD move to not support him wholeheartedly so the Dem candidate could win...ALTHOUGH, by doing so, it might get a lot of mainstream conservatives to see that they are being hoodwinked by their own party.....I personally, would leave the Republican Party and join the new, separate, third, conservative TEA Party over it....

Hoping Joe Carr can do same to Lamar Alexander in TN...

hatt
06-11-14, 09:53
Neither Republicans or Democrats are ever in bed with anyone who wants to oust incumbents.
Castle wasn't an incumbent.

Renegade
06-11-14, 09:57
Castle wasn't an incumbent.

thanks, my bad he was a rep, not senator.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 10:08
The immigration issue is what sunk Cantor. What I read about this guy is that he's Catholic, very pro 2A and anti-abortion. I think he can win the general.

The REAL question is what will the Republican Party do? Will they now throw their support (and money) to the Republican nominee, or undermine him in retaliation for 'their' man not getting the nomination? The GOP had better think REAL HARD about their next move - as failing to support the NEW Republican Candidate will mark open warfare between them and the TEA Party...it would be a seriously BAD move to not support him wholeheartedly so the Dem candidate could win...ALTHOUGH, by doing so, it might get a lot of mainstream conservatives to see that they are being hoodwinked by their own party.....I personally, would leave the Republican Party and join the new, separate, third, conservative TEA Party over it....

The GOP is already in political war with the Tea Party.

montanadave
06-11-14, 10:12
Seems like Cantor snatched victory from himself by being a poor rep for his district and pushing for things his constituents didn't like.

Tend to agree. Cantor loved the limelight, relished making Boehner kiss his ass, and had his sights firmly set on the Speakership. And he mistakenly assumed the voters would be so proud to have his swinging dick call their district "home" they'd rubber stamp him every election. POOF!

Korgs130
06-11-14, 10:13
Proudly voted for Brat today and convinced some neighbors to join me.

Truly stunning.

Awesome, but stunning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice work. As small glimmer of hope for our country.

Eurodriver
06-11-14, 10:42

The Dem is not going to win that race, regardless of what the GOP does. Cantor won by 17% 2 years ago, and beat the Dem by 25% 4 years ago.

2000 Warren A. Stewart 94,935 33% Eric Cantor 192,652 67% *
2002 Ben L. "Cooter" Jones 49,854 30% Eric Cantor 113,658 69% *
2004 (no candidate) Eric Cantor 230,765 75% W. Brad Blanton Independent 74,325 24% *
2006 James M. Nachman 88,206 34% Eric Cantor 163,706 64% W. Brad Blanton Independent 4,213 2% *
2008 Anita Hartke 138,123 37% Eric Cantor 233,531 63%
2010 Rick Waugh 79,607 34% Eric Cantor 138,196 59% Floyd Bayne Independent Green 15,164 6% *
2012 E. Wayne Powell 158,012 41% Eric Cantor 222,983 58%

TAZ
06-11-14, 10:48
The GOP seriously needs a high number of testicle kicks to wake it the hell up or finish it off. I honestly don't care which it is. The McStain's and Romneys need to go. There is already plenty of representation for the liberal minded.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the GOP will snipe at this guy (although hidden behind PAC's) as hard if not harder than the Dems. How dare some outsider take their money train away.

Phillygunguy
06-11-14, 11:03
The GOP seriously needs a high number of testicle kicks to wake it the hell up or finish it off. I honestly don't care which it is. The McStain's and Romneys need to go. There is already plenty of representation for the liberal minded.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the GOP will snipe at this guy (although hidden behind PAC's) as hard if not harder than the Dems. How dare some outsider take their money train away.

I'll go one further and say the establishment republicans will tell people to vote democrat over tea party

streck
06-11-14, 11:08
The Republicans tried to absorb the Tea party due to the popularity of most of the candidates.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 11:09

Fittingly, Cantor attended a conference to organize attacks against conservatives. The GOP leadership has been doing all they can to keep them from winning races.

http://www.foramerica.org/2014/04/brent-bozell-letter-to-majority-leader-eric-cantor-regarding-mainstreet-pac/

Make no mistake about the GOP's disdain for the Tea Party, conservatives, and libertarians. They expect us to pull the lever for their guy but not the other way around. And then we're repeatedly told they're the only ones who are electable.

One of the first things Boehner did in this current Congress is remove conservatives from committee leadership posts and replace them with his pet guys.

Grand58742
06-11-14, 11:16

Call it what you want, but I much prefer the lesser of two evils out of Romney/Obama than most of the third party candidates out there. Nobody else had a fighting chance in 2012 and had the media actually done their job in exposing the fraud, lies and overt attempts at usurping the Constitution, Romney might have fared better. And I'd much rather have had him.

Someone called Obama the President Nixon always wanted to be the other day. I think that's about the most spot on analogy I've heard so far.

That being said, someone in Rand Paul's camp needs to take notice of this and remember that the Tea Party vote can make or break you in the 2016 election. Same could be said about Mitch McConnell as well this year. He's already pissed in the Cheerios of the Tea Party and it very well could cost him his election as well.

GunBugBit
06-11-14, 11:17
Well the old guard GOP just lost a big battle.

Cantor is House Majority Leader. He won't be for much longer.

brickboy240
06-11-14, 11:19
Lets get this straight...

It is NOT the "immigration issue" that sunk Cantor and has everyone angry. It is the ILLEGAL immigration issue that is doing this.

Funny how big media and the left leave off the word "illegal" from the discussion.

Most of us have zero problems with immigration...hell...that is how many of us got here!

It is the ILLEGAL immigration and lack of action that is the problem.

-brickboy240

PS: since this David vs. Goliath event has gone down...lets also put to bed this notion that the Tea Party movement is dead. That is completely inaccurate.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 11:19
The Republicans tried to absorb the Tea party due to the popularity of most of the candidates.

They never did that. They rode the train to a majority then turned around and burned conservatives in every election they could. The GOP has spent more money attacking conservatives than they have attacking democrats. The Tea Party doesn't have the financial resources the GOP has along with the Super PAC's like Karl Rove operates.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/26/Karl-Rove-s-Crossroads-Reloading-Against-Tea-Party

hatt
06-11-14, 11:21

Didn't you hear. Those are the only folks that could beat Obama. Never mind that they didn't. In 16 the Republicans will use the same BS rhetoric. "The fat man is the only person that can beat Hilliary." I've got news for the establishment Rs. I'm not voting for a RINO. Take that to the bank. I'll watch Rome burn.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 11:24
Call it what you want, but I much prefer the lesser of two evils out of Romney/Obama than most of the third party candidates out there. Nobody else had a fighting chance in 2012 and had the media actually done their job in exposing the fraud, lies and overt attempts at usurping the Constitution, Romney might have fared better. And I'd much rather have had him.

Someone called Obama the President Nixon always wanted to be the other day. I think that's about the most spot on analogy I've heard so far.

That being said, someone in Rand Paul's camp needs to take notice of this and remember that the Tea Party vote can make or break you in the 2016 election. Same could be said about Mitch McConnell as well this year. He's already pissed in the Cheerios of the Tea Party and it very well could cost him his election as well.

Romney was the chosen guy well before the primaries even started. Of course no one else has a shot when the right is inundated by media bias that spouts off for a year about how X is the only guy who has a shot. They already started for 2016 with Christie then switched to Jeb after Bridgegate.

Grand58742
06-11-14, 11:32
Romney was the chosen guy well before the primaries even started. Of course no one else has a shot when the right is inundated by media bias that spouts off for a year about how X is the only guy who has a shot. They already started for 2016 with Christie then switched to Jeb after Bridgegate.

And you watch that immigration reform will sink Jeb as well. You want someone who can go after Hillary in 2016? Rand Paul is the only answer that can appeal to both sides right now. The mainstream GOP isn't thrilled with that, but can't diminish his popularity. He's still a Tea Party favorite as well. And the media is watching him closely. The man got a standing ovation at Berkeley.

Berkeley...

Pair him up with someone like Susana Martinez out of New Mexico and you've got a strong ticket.

Safetyhit
06-11-14, 11:37
Didn't you hear. Those are the only folks that could beat Obama. Never mind that they didn't. In 16 the Republicans will use the same BS rhetoric. "The fat man is the only person that can beat Hilliary." I've got news for the establishment Rs. I'm not voting for a RINO. Take that to the bank. I'll watch Rome burn.

You may just get to do that. One's perceived ideal scenario is not necessarily what the majority of the country wants to embrace. The Tea Party equivalents on the far left want Elizabeth Warren to run, which would almost guarantee a democrat loss of the White House.

hatt
06-11-14, 11:48
You may just get to do that. One's perceived ideal scenario is not necessarily what the majority of the country wants to embrace. The Tea Party equivalents on the far left want Elizabeth Warren to run, which would almost guarantee a democrat loss of the White House.My ideal candidate will never get the R nom. I'm OK with that. The problem is the people the Rs push now aren't even in the same book. Bill Clinton could run as an R these days. Probably run to the right of Romney/FatMan/Jeb.

Oh, and you fail to grasp that when with Rs run to the right they win. When they run to the center and left they lose. They have no idea of what the Country wants to embrace. They are too busy trying to please the Democrats and the media. Had we had a decent candidate in the last couple elections you may could conclude something. Running a left wingers against a far left winger doesn't tell us much other than the better left winger won.

Safetyhit
06-11-14, 12:13
My ideal candidate will never get the R nom. I'm OK with that. The problem is the people the Rs push now aren't even in the same book. Bill Clinton could run as an R these days. Probably run to the right of Romney/FatMan/Jeb.

Oh, and you fail to grasp that when with Rs run to the right they win. When they run to the center and left they lose. They have no idea of what the Country wants to embrace. They are too busy trying to please the Democrats and the media. Had we had a decent candidate in the last couple elections you may could conclude something. Running a left wingers against a far left winger doesn't tell us much other than the better left winger won.

Possibly, but here your slant is evident because you categorize the GOP as left wingers because they are not extreme right. Not saying that republicans don't need a tune-up but junking the entire engine poses its own risks if you're thinking of replacing it with a prototype.

Envision the presidential field as a football one. With the 50 being full moderate for either party any candidate on a yard marker less than their respective 25 has no shot, so we want to find the one on our side who's standing someplace between the 25 and 30 yard line.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 12:17
Possibly, but here your slant is evident because you categorize the GOP as left wingers because they are not extreme right. Not saying that republicans don't need a tune-up but junking the entire engine poses its own risks if you're thinking of replacing it with a prototype.

Envision the presidential field as a football one. With the 50 being full moderate for either party any candidate on a yard marker less than their respective 25 has no shot, so we want to find the one on our side who's standing someplace between the 25 and 30 yard line.

Obama was rated the most liberal far left senator just before he was elected. But the right keeps telling ourselves only a moderate has a chance.

hatt
06-11-14, 12:20

Envision the presidential field as a football one. With the 50 being full moderate for either party any candidate on a yard marker less than their respective 25 has no shot, so we want to find the one on our side who's standing someplace between the 25 and 30 yard line.Sorry, closed borders, low taxes, don't spend money you don't have, States Rights, small .gov, etc isn't extreme right. I believe you've been listening to MSNBC a little too much. According to them Romney and McCain were right wing extremists. You're going to have to come to reality if you're going to be able to talk about this stuff sensibly.

Dienekes
06-11-14, 12:21
Well, it sure demonstrates what ALL politicians everywhere sit up and take notice--a stake through the heart administered by the electorate. That is true fear.

Talk is cheap. It doesn't matter if the incumbent SOB does the right thing for all the wrong reasons, as long as he does the right thing, cursing all the while.

He was never your friend anyway.

SteveS
06-11-14, 12:31
Good !!! Hope Boner gets voted out as well. I am from Kali fo r nia so I know Boxer , Feinstein and Pelosi will be reelected for 50 years after their death. Heck Leyland Yee received 10% of the votes. The majority of Kali fo r nians are that dumb regardless of their education.

Safetyhit
06-11-14, 12:45
...I believe you've been listening to MSNBC a little too much. According to them Romney and McCain were right wing extremists. You're going to have to come to reality if you're going to be able to talk about this stuff sensibly.

And here is where we separate those who can talk about this issue intelligently and those who will allow themselves to be blinded by ideological emotion. No one in the GOP is for smaller government? No one is for closed borders? None are for low taxes? And so obviously I must not be too, right?

Between those blatant fallacies and calling me an MSNBC advocate because I offer you a dose of reality it only goes to show how small you think on this issue. Continue to enjoy the baseless rant all you like because such an attitude likely ensures you'll have even more reason to do so in the future.

hatt
06-11-14, 12:52
I don't care. I'm not voting for your RINO. End of story. Plenty more with me. Good luck getting in the White House without FL. Just think about it before you fill in the bubble for Jeb or Fatty McFatts in the primary.

Safetyhit
06-11-14, 13:03
I don't care. I'm not voting for your RINO. End of story. And I'm taking my toys with me.

There, all better now. Let's talk more later after your nap. :)

Good luck getting in the White House without FL.

Agreed, especially since it was so critical to Obama's second term victory.

Edit: It's like you completely disregarded everything I wrote just on this page before you took shots at me. Thought we were supposed to know our targets in this place, someone on the theoretical 25-30 yard line wouldn't be the run of the mill suck-up republican and that's the whole point. We can't have isolationists running the show either.

TAZ
06-11-14, 13:10
The lesser of 2 evils mentality doesn't work. We have been trying it for decades with piss poor results. With each election cycle the choices become more "evil". Enough is enough. I'd much rather the flames one while in young enough to work as many jobs as needed to rebuild than while I'm old and can't do squat.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 13:11
And here is where we separate those who can talk about this issue intelligently and those who will allow themselves to be blinded by ideological emotion. No one in the GOP is for smaller government? No one is for closed borders? None are for low taxes? And so obviously I must not be too, right?

Between those blatant fallacies and calling me an MSNBC advocate because I offer you a dose of reality it only goes to show how small you think on this issue. Continue to enjoy the baseless rant all you like because such an attitude likely ensures you'll have even more reason to do so in the future.

The core of the GOP doesn't support those platforms in the real world. The gov grew under the GOP and they quietly allowed the border security to go unfunded. They lowered taxes, slightly, but not the rate of deficit spending which basically serves to pay for it later.

Not to mention turning our national security assets loose on the homeland and giving us DHS.

That doesn't mean no one in the GOP doesn't support what you mentioned but those people aren't running the show.

Safetyhit
06-11-14, 13:21
The core of the GOP doesn't support those platforms in the real world. The gov grew under the GOP and they quietly allowed the border security to go unfunded. They lowered taxes, slightly, but not the rate of deficit spending which basically serves to pay for it later.

Not to mention turning our national security assets loose on the homeland and giving us DHS.

That doesn't mean no one in the GOP doesn't support what you mentioned but those people aren't running the show.

Perfect...exactly. There are tremendous flaws but that doesn't mean scrap the whole thing if it would offer a better result to fix what's broken. Look I'm not sad Cantor is gone so much as I am concerned a democrat can now take the seat. Maybe his loss can serve as a nationwide wake-up call for reform. If his constituents deemed him ineffective and complacent then get someone better in there, just don't sink our whole ship in the process please.

Again, chess not checkers will save the day.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 13:28
Perfect...exactly. There are tremendous flaws but that doesn't mean scrap the whole thing if it would offer a better result to fix what's broken. Look I'm not sad Cantor is gone so much as I am concerned a democrat can now take the seat. Maybe his loss can serve as a nationwide wake-up call for reform. If his constituents deemed him ineffective and complacent then get someone better in there, just don't sink our whole ship in the process please.

Again, chess not checkers will save the day.

I didn't say to scrap the GOP. I just want different people in charge who aren't Democrat lites. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are in the GOP. Do we always have to be led around by the liberal Republicans? They are part of the problem that caused the need to fix things.

If you're worried about a Democrat getting elected over a conservative or Tea Party type guy maybe you should ask the GOP and Karl Rove to stop spending more money attacking us than they do Democrats. If you donate to the GOP or Rove your money is most likely going to go towards trying to defeat a conservative than a Democrat. In cases where their guy didn't get nominated it appears they're perfectly willing to sit back and watch him lose to a Democrat. IE the VA governors race.

hatt
06-11-14, 13:54
Just how many election cycles are we suppose to go with before doing something else? Clearly the people that said only Romney and McCain could beat Obama shouldn't be considered the last word on future elections.

GunBugBit
06-11-14, 14:08
F*** the GOP in its current form. I'm not saying to trash it all and start over, but they need something between a major makeover and a paradigm shift. They have been ineffective at countering a lawless left-wing administration.

Renegade
06-11-14, 14:38
I don't care. I'm not voting for your RINO. End of story. Plenty more with me. Good luck getting in the White House without FL. Just think about it before you fill in the bubble for Jeb or Fatty McFatts in the primary.

This is the fundamental change I see. More people are refusing to hold their nose and vote RINO. Neither McCain or Romney got as many votes as Bush in 2004. Folks would rather stay home than vote for more RINOs. If the Republicans do not see this and change, they will never see the WH again.

tb-av
06-11-14, 16:33
Well they are coming out of the woodwork now. Not only will he run against a Dem professor at his own college but now some unknown independent has signed on too..... and.... some are speculating that Cantor will run a write in and that's why he never mentioned Brat's name nor told Republicans to support him. I sure hope he doesn't stoop that low.

Yep Cantor has simply been on a power trip. I've been voting against him for a couple elections... like wizzing in the wind. His net worth went from 2Mil to like 12 or 14Mil since 2008... He was on a massive power trip and basically always has been since day one.

This guy Brat says he is not Tea Party but is simply running on solid core Republican issues but his win is absolutely grass roots and tea party voices.. I know one thing... so far.... when you ask him a question... he answers it.

At any rate... no matter who runs against him at least no one can every say he got a pass or rode in someone's coat tails... which is exactly what Cantor did.

The next big race for VA is Warner vs Gillispie.... If Gillispie can knock out Warner that can mean VA can turn Red again.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/va/virginia_senate_gillespie_vs_warner-4255.html

I don't know if this was a joke or not but someone said Cantor spent more money on steak dinners than Brat spent on all his campaign. I hope it was cooked to his liking.

Safetyhit
06-11-14, 17:38
In the past few days we have Diane Sawyer dismember Hillary Clinton and now Chris Matthews offer an astute defense of Tea Party principals.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/06/11/chris_matthews_looking_down_our_noses_at_tea_party_has_got_to_stop.html

Know this stuff seems to come and go but with all the additional VA and Bergdahl weight adding to the rest of the administration's troubles in the end two painful terms of Obama may have actually been bad enough to terrify the a significant portion of the otherwise complacent country in the opposite direction. In other words maybe it is possible for even the elite liberals to have had enough at some point (Except for Joan Walsh at Salon and anyone who works for her of course).

Sure these media types will flip-flop and go back to being stupid publicly but no doubt their overall pro-big government positions have been weakened within their own minds. Funny thing is that many who know better now would probably still vote Warren regardless because conservatives are just so inherently devilish.

Big A
06-11-14, 17:48
http://news.msn.com/us/cantor-announces-plans-to-resign-leadership-post?ocid=ansnews11
From link:

"Eric Cantor has long been the face of House Republicans' extreme policies, debilitating dysfunction and manufactured crises. Tonight is a major victory for the tea party as they yet again pull the Republican Party further to the radical right," said the Democratic House leader, Nancy Pelosi. "As far as the midterm elections are concerned, it's a whole new ballgame."

ETA, Found this interesting too:
http://money.msn.com/investing/post--wall-street-loses-a-friend-in-cantors-stunning-defeat?ocid=ansmonyrel1

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 17:54
http://news.msn.com/us/cantor-announces-plans-to-resign-leadership-post?ocid=ansnews11
From link:

ETA, Found this interesting too:
http://money.msn.com/investing/post--wall-street-loses-a-friend-in-cantors-stunning-defeat?ocid=ansmonyrel1

Too bad the Republican leadership will never have the stones to play hardball with the Dems. Gotta hand it to them for being far better at politics.

Renegade
06-11-14, 17:58

In the November election, Brat will face Democrat Jack Trammel, a professor at the same college, Randolph-Mason.

AP can't even get the name right.

Moose-Knuckle
06-11-14, 18:11
Throw the bums out . . . one by one.

Its rather very simple really, if you want to hand over our country to a bunch of peasants from the third world pack your shit and go back to what ever sewer you slimed your way out of.

ABNAK
06-11-14, 21:49

I'll second that emotion!

ABNAK
06-11-14, 21:54
You may just get to do that. One's perceived ideal scenario is not necessarily what the majority of the country wants to embrace. The Tea Party equivalents on the far left want Elizabeth Warren to run, which would almost guarantee a democrat loss of the White House.

You sure about that? Remember, we got Obama TWICE.

Oh, and I'm tired of trying to woo the wishy-washy, "I don't know what the f*** I want from one election to another" "independents. We need to nominate a candidate that will bring out the base. The base wasn't motivated in '08 or '12 and you see what happened. Count me as one more who, although I did hold my nose and follow the party's RINO's in those two elections, will NOT do so again. Choose wisely in the primary booths come 2016 Republicans. Choose wisely......

(not directed at you necessarily Safety, just a generic warning)

SeriousStudent
06-11-14, 22:35
For those of you who wish to discuss each other rather than politicians, you will stop now.

This is your only warning.

ABNAK
06-11-14, 22:40
For those of you who wish to discuss each other rather than politicians, you will stop now.

This is your only warning.

That's why I put that it wasn't directed at Safetyhit, as it wasn't and I didn't want the "rant" to seem that way. Oh, it wasn't even an edit either!

hatt
06-11-14, 22:44
All I want to know is how many POTUS election cycles we have to run to the left, and fail, before deeming it unsuccessful and trying another strategy? No one has been able to answer this. Clearly two wasn't enough.

ABNAK
06-11-14, 23:52
All I want to know is how many POTUS election cycles we have to run to the left, and fail, before deeming it unsuccessful and trying another strategy? No one has been able to answer this. Clearly two wasn't enough.

Unfortunately, you may be correct.

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 23:52

The 'only a moderate is electable' line is just an excuse because they'd rather lose with their guy than see someone come in who would really make an effort to cut spending, stop the power grabs, reverse the growth of government, end the national security BS, ect. Those are all things the RINO's and Democrats are implementing together; they just disagree about the speed in which those actions take place. Elections are when they have to fool the masses into thinking they aren't really like the guy that pissed them off last time. Once they get into office they hop on the fail train and the cycle continues. Disrupting that is attacking their desire for wealth, power, and influence. The shot callers in DC will unite, despite a mediocre difference like party affiliation, to squash any threats to the system they setup.

The 'far right' is the only political ideology that represents a threat to the status quo. The Republicans are content to be a minority party and rarely make more than half-hearted attempts to change the ways of DC and the self destructive path this country is on. When a few of the far right types had the audacity to speak the top people in the GOP united with the Dems to attack them. Why would people who lust over power and lining their pockets want a limited government? Or transparency? Or cutting spending which will anger their donors?

ABNAK
06-11-14, 23:59
What chaps my ass is the way the Tea Party is spit with disgust out of people's mouths. The left has managed to demonize them to where the average person (read: sheeple moron) thinks they're the Klan reincarnated. I've heard family members, co-workers, etc. mention the Tea Party with a sense of dread and disdain. They have no freaking clue what the TP stands for, and my ire is usually raised to the point by their dismissiveness to where I can't calmly dispel the bullshit myths that they've swallowed hook line and sinker. "Oh, it's those Tea Party kooks that proposed that....." :shout:

NWPilgrim
06-12-14, 01:29
And now Rand Paul is jumping on the Amnesty bandwagon?! Must have seen how well it worked for Cantor.

ABNAK
06-12-14, 01:41
And now Rand Paul is jumping on the Amnesty bandwagon?! Must have seen how well it worked for Cantor.

Yeah, Rand is starting to make me wonder. I'm firmly in the Cruz camp but could have easily voted for Paul.....now I have to reevaluate that. I've seen where some Paul fans on TOS were saying that what he was proposing was NOT "amnesty" per se; it was that he supported some kind of permanent staus for "workers". Nah, I ain't buying it. Reeks of amnesty to me.

Safetyhit
06-12-14, 07:35
You sure about that? Remember, we got Obama TWICE.

Oh, and I'm tired of trying to woo the wishy-washy, "I don't know what the f*** I want from one election to another" "independents. We need to nominate a candidate that will bring out the base. The base wasn't motivated in '08 or '12 and you see what happened. Count me as one more who, although I did hold my nose and follow the party's RINO's in those two elections, will NOT do so again. Choose wisely in the primary booths come 2016 Republicans. Choose wisely......

(not directed at you necessarily Safety, just a generic warning)

This is the second reference to Obama being as far left as you can get in '08 but that simply wasn't the case and there are big differences between the two as candidates in that regard. For starters Obama was anti-gay marriage and while he claimed to want to close Gitmo he didn't say he planned to do so by simply letting them all go free. He boasted about reaching across the isle and improving relations between the parties while making government transparent, which aren't exactly extremist rantings.

Also I think we need to define what a "moderate" is in general because it seems most here aren't recognizing the middle ground between a true moderate and an extremist.

glocktogo
06-12-14, 08:57
This is the second reference to Obama being as far left as you can get in '08 but that simply wasn't the case and there are big differences between the two as candidates in that regard. For starters Obama was anti-gay marriage (except he really wasn't) and while he claimed to want to close Gitmo (which he never did) he didn't say he planned to do so by simply letting them all go free (except that's exactly what he wants to do now). He boasted about reaching across the isle and improving relations between the parties (of which he did exactly the opposite) while making government transparent (of which he also did exactly the opposite), which aren't exactly extremist rantings (just placating pabulum for the ignorant masses.

Also I think we need to define what a "moderate" is in general because it seems most here aren't recognizing the middle ground between a true moderate and an extremist.

So all you've really pointed out is what a prolific, yet incompetent liar he is. To put it mildly, he is the MSNBC of politicians, completely untrustworthy. So please tell us what a moderate is in your mind, because from where most of us are sitting, a moderate is someone who can win a primary election while not standing a snowball's chance in hell of winning the general. :(

chuckman
06-12-14, 08:57
This is the second reference to Obama being as far left as you can get in '08 but that simply wasn't the case and there are big differences between the two as candidates in that regard. For starters Obama was anti-gay marriage and while he claimed to want to close Gitmo he didn't say he planned to do so by simply letting them all go free. He boasted about reaching across the isle and improving relations between the parties while making government transparent, which aren't exactly extremist rantings.

This is true, and it is true for both sides: while the Dems want to portray Tea Partiers as "extremist," we usually demonize the dems...most any of them...as far left or socialist. Pouring gas on the fire is what the parties do to make the fire grow and try to influence the indies. History does nothing to help, either...conservatives applaud Reagan for his conservatism but what did he do to taxes? Size of government? Immigration? If he ran today the conservatives would beat him down for being moderate and the dems would demonize him for being far right.

hatt
06-12-14, 08:59
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/national-journal-obama-most-liberal-senator-in-2007/
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/18/fact-check-is-obama-the-most-liberal-us-senator/

The_War_Wagon
06-12-14, 09:21

^^^ FOR... THE... WIN.

We need another operation like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback), instead of more Fast & Spurious.

Belmont31R
06-12-14, 09:40

His most far left rating came from votes cast in the Senate. Even before he started campaigning (so he didn't have an excuse to miss votes) he was in the top 10-15 most far left. According to the football field analogy that puts him firmly in the red zone several years running.

He campaigned as a moderate but that was to hide who really is.

Bolt_Overide
06-12-14, 10:01

You and me both sir. When/if it happens, beer is on me.

SteveS
06-12-14, 10:04
Most of our politicians are owned by corporations. Not a whole lot of difference between the Democrats and Republicans

skydivr
06-12-14, 10:07

In a war of ideas, yes. But we are still part of the same party. Failure to fund a member of our own party (whether from the TP wing or not) against a candidate from the OTHER party) might be the straw that broke the camels back (TP cuts bait and forms their own party), and the Republicans can't handle losing that much of their base...it would be the end of the Republican party...conservatives would have to make a choice, and I think more would head for the TP than stay Republican....

tb-av
06-12-14, 10:19
.... a prolific, yet incompetent liar he is. (

He's not exactly incompetent ... in fact I would say he is the most competent liar we have seen in some time. He told everyone he would change America and that it would be based on the premise that the Constitution is defective. His lies are simply his means of communication. His patois. So I would say he is quite competent with this style of lying. It's transparent to the point that one need not even try to prove he is lying. It's his form of communication. It's a bizarre situation.

A bit like a rapist having a press conference and telling a neighborhood they are going to be raping the women next week then going door to door and saying "Hi sweetie, let me take you to the movies" Sweetie says oh please do and Dad says, yeah right, just be home early kids.

In my opinion he has turned lying into some sort of charismatic and nearly hypnotic art form. I am really concerned about what he is going to do in these next 30 months. In one regard the Dems need to turn on him to get their next person elected. In another regard, that base is so shallow that they could actually run on the platform of 'no guns' and get elected. That's all he really has in common with anyone else coming in. I think that whole administration has built up such a mountain of lies that they may just have to run on the platform of "What difference does it make?" ... and Cantor was part of that ... he was very much into that . 'Oh, I tired to fight it but it's here now so let's go all in' I guess he found out what difference it makes. Now Scarry Reid and the Pants Suit Princess need to find out too. Several others as well.

The way I look at it, Cantor got a favor. He's out on top. He's rich and he doesn't look like a bad guy, just a stupid guy. Some of those others though, they probably belong in prison.

Now if you want an incompetent liar.... look no further than Susan Rice ... holy cow.... I honestly almost feel sorry for that woman.... She's like an unhappy Baghdad Bob. At least he had some comic appeal. Susan Rice just has nothing.

Averageman
06-12-14, 11:20
Eric Cantor spent $168,657 Dollars on Steak Dinners during his campaign. David Brat spent nearly the same amount of money to fund his entire campaign.
Who do you want in charge of your tax dollars?

brickboy240
06-12-14, 11:30
No kidding!

Cantor lost because many do not want compromises on illegal immigration, run-away spending and other things the establishment GOP is famous for.

They can try to look at it any other way...but they delude themselves if they ignore this!

-brickboy240

hatt
06-12-14, 11:39
Eric Cantor spent $168,657 Dollars on Steak Dinners during his campaign. David Brat spent nearly the same amount of money to fund his entire campaign.
Who do you want in charge of your tax dollars?
I wonder how much the GOP is going to spend to defeat Brat?

GunBugBit
06-12-14, 11:41
You're thinking the GOP is going to give money to Brat's Democrat opponent?

I suppose that's possible.

GunBugBit
06-12-14, 11:43
Anne Coulter just put out an article saying Brat's victory had nothing to do with the Tea Party, that it was all about Cantor being pro-amnesty for illegal aliens. She makes a hard-to-verify claim that Brat got zero money from the Tea Party. How could she know that? Seems she's trying to rip down the Tea Party in a sideways fashion by denying them credit for Brat's victory. I think she's more pro-old-guard-GOP than she wants people to think.

skydivr
06-12-14, 11:44
You and me both sir. When/if it happens, beer is on me.

Green bottles :)

hatt
06-12-14, 12:01
Anne Coulter just put out an article saying Brat's victory had nothing to do with the Tea Party, that it was all about Cantor being pro-amnesty for illegal aliens. She makes a hard-to-verify claim that Brat got zero money from the Tea Party. How could she know that? Seems she's trying to rip down the Tea Party in a sideways fashion by denying them credit for Brat's victory. I think she's more pro-old-guard-GOP than she wants people to think.
That's the spin the GOP hacks have out now.

chuckman
06-12-14, 12:05

No, it's not about immigration. One poll (for what it's worth) shows over 70% of Virginian republicans favor some sort of immigration reform (inluding path to citizenship), playing into Cantor's hands. It's more than just immigration.

Averageman
06-12-14, 12:15

Perhaps She is right.
I don't know how much money the Tea Party has on hand at any one time to support anyone; I am however pretty sure it is nothing near what the Dem's and the GOP has on hand for office materials. Perhaps since it is supposed to be a ground swell movement they depend upon their candidates to finance themselves?
Watching all of this happen, I couldn't blame the Tea Party for holding on to funds like a miser, they may have to run their own candidate for POTUS without any support from the GOP. The end result of that kind of thinking will may well get Hillary elected.

GunBugBit
06-12-14, 12:16
No, it's not about immigration. One poll (for what it's worth) shows over 70% of Virginian republicans favor some sort of immigration reform (inluding path to citizenship), playing into Cantor's hands. It's more than just immigration.
I'm not saying it is; Anne Coulter is, though.

Eurodriver
06-12-14, 12:45
Before you guys start spouting off nonsense about polls and immigration, please read the question carefully.

The one Chuck is referring to, specifically, is phrased to include tougher punishments for employers hiring illegals, ease of deportation, and a more secure border along with a path to citizenship in 10 years.

That's like saying "Do you like puppies, mom's apple pie, and Senate Bill 1472?"

Safetyhit
06-12-14, 12:52
So all you've really pointed out is what a prolific, yet incompetent liar he is. To put it mildly, he is the MSNBC of politicians, completely untrustworthy. So please tell us what a moderate is in your mind, because from where most of us are sitting, a moderate is someone who can win a primary election while not standing a snowball's chance in hell of winning the general. :(

It sounds as though your response reflects an impression that I was somehow defending Obama, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I simply stated aspects of how he ran for office and won.

It also seems as though you think I'm saying all Tea Party members are extremists, which is also way off base. When I use the term in regard to them I am talking about those in the party who want to see isolationism to an unrealistic extent while defunding the military, or those who see us pay little to no taxes at all. Not all Tea Party members have uniform views as to how the country should be run.

Hell I just voted in the primary for a Republican congressional candidate here in our elections that endorses a variety of Tea Party ideals and I hope he wins the seat bigtime.

ABNAK
06-12-14, 14:08

Uh, how did those views pan out? Gitmo was and is a sticky issue for him but he DID try to get them sent here for trial in our system but remember the backlash over that? (He did try to do something unpopular about it though) As far as the rest goes some of us saw through his bullshit and were correct in our assumption of him being waaayyy to the left.

chuckman
06-12-14, 14:08
Before you guys start spouting off nonsense about polls and immigration, please read the question carefully.

The one Chuck is referring to, specifically, is phrased to include tougher punishments for employers hiring illegals, ease of deportation, and a more secure border along with a path to citizenship in 10 years.

That's like saying "Do you like puppies, mom's apple pie, and Senate Bill 1472?"

Yup. My point, and not well made, was that the defeat is more nuanced than simply "immigration." Did the headlines of Cantor's pricey $168k steak dinners have to do with it? What about the negative attack ads? Maybe people were just tired of him.

tb-av
06-12-14, 19:14
Maybe people were just tired of him.

That^^^^. what some may not realize... not all of VA voted in this. This was a district election.

Ann Coulter, Glen Beck, immigration, ... none of that got Brat elected. What got him elected was that he comes off as an educated honest man than may just have what it takes AND and the ever present willingness to get rid of Cantor that has simply been percolating for a long time. Cantor simply has not been connecting with the people of his district.

The people struck while the iron was hot. Every little thing is a factor but what got Brat in was people being tired of Cantor and Brat looking like an intelligent strong willed man of integrity. There was an appearance of absolutely nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.

Cantor was his own worst enemy while convincing himself he was something special. Now he wears a different type of fake smile.

glocktogo
06-13-14, 00:31
It sounds as though your response reflects an impression that I was somehow defending Obama, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I simply stated aspects of how he ran for office and won.

It also seems as though you think I'm saying all Tea Party members are extremists, which is also way off base. When I use the term in regard to them I am talking about those in the party who want to see isolationism to an unrealistic extent while defunding the military, or those who see us pay little to no taxes at all. Not all Tea Party members have uniform views as to how the country should be run.

Hell I just voted in the primary for a Republican congressional candidate here in our elections that endorses a variety of Tea Party ideals and I hope he wins the seat bigtime.

I did not get that, my apologies. :)

Eurodriver
06-13-14, 06:16
Maybe people were just tired of him.

Nail on the head.

"Throw the bums out" was what won this primary for Brat, not immigration, a resurgance of the Tea Party or any other nonsense. This was only bolstered by the establishment GOP's literal sacking of Cuccinelli's Governor race.

tb-av
06-13-14, 07:19
Not all Tea Party members have uniform views as to how the country should be run.

The "Tea Party" is the new "George Bush did it" for anyone that desires to use it in that manner. ... which is basically the media and any politician.

That's what Eric Cantor didn't get. He thought a diverse group of people with different views could never take him down. What he failed to realize is that even though they have varied views, they collectively don't like a stuffed shirt talking head. ... and this carries across to basically every citizen or voter. So it was not the "Tea Party" but rather a societal common thread shared with the Tea Party.

SteveS
06-13-14, 10:54
The majority of voters are non thinking TV watching gullible fools.

tb-av
08-09-14, 10:46
Article on how Cantor was defeated......

http://www.henricomonthly.com/news/boiling-over