PDA

View Full Version : Gun Owner Denied CPL for Legally Using Marijuana

CLHC
06-11-14, 10:13
Here's an interesting news article:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Conflicting-laws-spell-trouble-for-pot-using-gun-owners-262630831.html

http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/24791663/richland-medical-marijuana-patient-denied-concealed-pistol-license

markm
06-11-14, 10:23
I know a guy here in AZ who had to give up his CCW because he has a medical stoner card. You can still carry concealed in AZ without the permit because they changed the law since the permit program started, so it wasn't a big deal.

Big A
06-11-14, 10:29
Since marijuana is still illegal at the federal level there is no legal use of it.

Shame we waste a bunch of time and resources fighting a plant.

Eurodriver
06-11-14, 10:37

What would all those police departments do with their armored vehicles, helicopters, machine guns, and over-staffed payrolls if it was legal?

Pretty much everyone, on both sides of the aisle with their head on right, agrees that the war on drugs is a failure, a waste of money, and results in an overall loss of civil liberties - sometimes in a way worse way than the OP's article*. Of course, Florida's LEOs disagree...

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/06/11/5199887/floridas-sheriffs-lobby-against.html

*Oh, we're gonna have a K9 come sniff your car. But only the handler is trained to tell when the dog gets a hit so just stand by while he evaluates the dog's reaction...HIT, now get ready for anal intrusive examinations.

Airhasz
06-11-14, 10:55
Do not carry illegal stuff, let them search your vehicle and be on your way...easy.

markm
06-11-14, 10:56

Marijewanda and Gay Wedding cake are the two distractions that allow Obama to steal our dreams.

GunBugBit
06-11-14, 11:23
I know a guy here in AZ who had to give up his CCW because he has a medical stoner card. You can still carry concealed in AZ without the permit because they changed the law since the permit program started, so it wasn't a big deal.
Maybe not to him. Without the CCW permit, he can no longer legally carry in unposted places where alcohol is served. He will now have to wait for the NICS check phone call when buying firearms. He cannot enjoy the CC reciprocity in other states without his AZ permit.

He should stick to normal Arizona drug usage, like swilling beer while his 8 year old daughter shoots a .44 magnum revolver in the desert.

hatt
06-11-14, 11:29
Do not carry illegal stuff, let them search your vehicle and be on your way...easy.Is this a serious post?

KTR03
06-11-14, 11:54
She should sue, citing the Oregon precedent.

Anyone who believes that pot should be a schedule 1 narcotic is letting ideology blind them to science. Schedule 1 drugs have to be highly addictive and have no scientific use. Even Cocaine isn't a schedule 1 drug.

I don't carry illegal stuff, and therefore, I am not going to let "them" search my car. This sort of accommodation is how we got to where we are. I would rather have a problem then be "on my way" if it means surrendering what is left of my privacy.

This is a weird case, because the citizen got recognized as a pot proponent. There is no database and no way of actually verifying that someone is a medical marijuana patient.

Seems like a really good argument for maintaining a stealth existence. Too bad there are not bigger federal priorities than this... oh wait...

markm
06-11-14, 12:08
Maybe not to him. Without the CCW permit, he can no longer legally carry in unposted places where alcohol is served. He will now have to wait for the NICS check phone call when buying firearms. He cannot enjoy the CC reciprocity in other states without his AZ permit.

I accidentally let my CCW lapse beyond the window where you could just send the money in. :(

He should stick to normal Arizona drug usage, like swilling beer while his 8 year old daughter shoots a .44 magnum revolver in the desert.

Now THAT is AZ shooting at its essence! :sarcastic:

TAZ
06-11-14, 13:17
Not 100% sure why she would be denied. Based on the 4473 questions she can legally answer 11e in the negative as she is not an unlawful user of pot. What is barring her from buying a gun?? Also how did anyone know her medical history??

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 13:21
Not 100% sure why she would be denied. Based on the 4473 questions she can legally answer 11e in the negative as she is not an unlawful user of pot. What is barring her from buying a gun?? Also how did anyone know her medical history??

Legal under state but not Federal law. A state law allowing use doesn't override Federal law on this.

GunBugBit
06-11-14, 14:31

I accidentally let my CCW lapse beyond the window where you could just send the money in. :(

I almost missed the window; it took a good 6 weeks and that period extended beyond my expiration date. Next time I'll mail in my application right after I get the courtesy notice from AZ DPS.

Now THAT is AZ shooting at its essence! :sarcastic:
It is, I saw it taking place. I had no trouble believing what I was seeing, but it's still one of those things you have to see to believe.

TriviaMonster
06-11-14, 14:32
Do not carry illegal stuff, let them search your vehicle and be on your way...easy.

Seriously? I agree about not carrying illegal things, but why would I let some stranger rifle through my things? For my own benefit?

I have been asked twice to have my car searched. I said only if I can search your house. That was an easy no.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GunBugBit
06-11-14, 14:39
The Fourth Amendment, it's not just for breakfast any more.

Irish
06-11-14, 14:58
With the denial came a letter for Richland Police Chief Chris Skinner who wrote Floyd was not eligible to receive a CPL because she had an authorization to possess cannabis.
Just because you're "authorized" to possess cannabis doesn't mean that you do, in fact, possess or use cannabis. Their denial is based on an assumption.

WickedWillis
06-11-14, 15:01
Marijewanda and Gay Wedding cake are the two distractions that allow Obama to steal our dreams.

I support gay marriage, and the legalization of Marijuana. I'm not gay, and I don't partake in smoking or any form of consuming Marijuana, but I support others rights to both, just as they should support my rights to bear arms. I guarantee I'm not the only "Black sheep" on this site. As far as not being able to get your CPL for legally using MM, that is just a bullshit form of government control.

TAZ
06-11-14, 15:15
Legal under state but not Federal law. A state law allowing use doesn't override Federal law on this.

I get the distinction, but am still unsure why she got the rejection.

How did the Feds know her medical history? If the Feds didn't deny her, but the locals did then why are the locals enforcing federal law that is contrary to their state law? Seems like that isn't their job, or they would be going about busting all the pot licensees and dispensaries as they are all breaking federal law. There is nothing stopping this person from walking into a gun store and legally buying a gun, so why did they deem that she is not eligible to purchase, transfer or posses a gun? She is not an unlawful user of MJ which is what the federal 4473 asks about. Is there some goofy AZ law that bars law abiding people from having guns? Does their stance also bar people who have had surgery and have a scrip for Codeine or other narcotic pain killers from having guns??

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 15:19
I get the distinction, but am still unsure why she got the rejection.

How did the Feds know her medical history? If the Feds didn't deny her, but the locals did then why are the locals enforcing federal law that is contrary to their state law? Seems like that isn't their job, or they would be going about busting all the pot licensees and dispensaries as they are all breaking federal law. There is nothing stopping this person from walking into a gun store and legally buying a gun, so why did they deem that she is not eligible to purchase, transfer or posses a gun? She is not an unlawful user of MJ which is what the federal 4473 asks about. Is there some goofy AZ law that bars law abiding people from having guns? Does their stance also bar people who have had surgery and have a scrip for Codeine or other narcotic pain killers from having guns??

She is unlawful according to Federal law which doesn't have any provisions for lawful medical marijuana use.

I don't agree with the chief interjecting Federal law into a state issue. It's not his place to enforce Federal laws. Local police aren't commissioned to enforce Federal laws.

Renegade
06-11-14, 15:25
She is unlawful according to Federal law which doesn't have any provisions for lawful medical marijuana use.

Trivia:

Actually they do and there are less than 4 people in it from a total of 14 that started.

http://news.yahoo.com/4-americans-pot-us-government-070245907.html

Belmont31R
06-11-14, 15:31
Trivia:

Actually they do and there are less than 4 people in it from a total of 14 that started.

http://news.yahoo.com/4-americans-pot-us-government-070245907.html

That is a decades old program that doesn't apply to the general public.

Renegade
06-11-14, 15:39
That is a decades old program that doesn't apply to the general public.

That is why I said "trivia"