PDA

View Full Version : 16" Lightweight Build

TAZ
06-11-14, 19:00
Well my first complete build is finally complete. 26497

It started out a family project with my bro, building on a pair of Aero precision lowers, but ended with a repurposing of my Stag lower from my SPR clone. Particulars as below:

LOWER:
Stag forged lower
Stag LPK
Added BAD safety selector (standard and short levers)
Chip McCormick single stage match trigger
KNS pins
BAD take down pin
BCM Mod 2 Grip
MagPul Enhanced Trigger Guard
BCM MilSpec Receiver extension
BCM carbine spring
BCM H Buffer
MagPul CTR

UPPER:
BCM Blem receiver. Marked M4 at has tube hole so it's their new one.
Sionics 16 mid lightweight melonite barrel
Sionics gas tube
BCM Gas Block (625)
BCM Gunfighter Mod0 comp
BCM KMR 13
Aimpoint CompML3 (2 MOA)
ADM mount

Assembly was pretty straight forward. Spent a lot of time reading manuals and bought a few books with tips and what not to dos along with reading here quite a bit before starting.

THOUGHTS:

Tools: Amazon is hit or miss. Bought roll pin pinches and starters off there. The starters worked as advertised but the roll pin punches were 50% crap. The smaller diameter ones were nothing more that spherically tipped punches. As soon as you hit the pin the tool wanted to flare it open. Not a big deal, but annoying. Barrel vice in addition to the action vice. Get one or make one for your barrel; you will be thankful when you want to install that muzzle device. Grease. A $6 tub from AutoZone will last through the apocalypse, the coming renaissance and the following apocalypse as well.

The barrel extension fit in the BCM is pretty snug. With a super thin coat of grease around the extension and inside the upper the barrel was a snug fit. Getting the pin to fully seat took a tiny love tap with the end of a rubber mallet.

The KMR is retarded simple to install. After whimping out and not wanting to use my fingers to grease up the barrel and nut, I used a towel to spread the grease about. Unfortunately I found out that, yes there is such a thing as too much grease. I didn't think input too much on there till I snugged the barrel nut and it ooooozed through the holes for the wrench. Nothing a towel couldn't clean up, but still funny seeing a barrel nut have diarrhea. After than 3 preliminary torques and a final torque to 45 lb-ft and we were done. The rail itself slid on after use of my wife's hair drier to warm it up. Simple as hell and feels solid as hell.

The muzzle device was another story. I skimped and went with the supplied crush washer instead of buying a set of shims. If you're thinking about this just spend the money and get the shims. You'll save a lot of effort and sweat. Mine took a little over 3/4 revolution to time. I went slow as possible since I didn't have a barrel vice and was using a clamshell action vice. I didn't want to put wierd stress on the barrel or upper. Small turns and release. Rinse and repeat to work the crush washer. About 1/2 way through I get a rather annoying SNAP sound. I have yet to figure out what went snap. My vice is in one shape, the action block is in one shape, barrel still indexed with the feed ramps and the GB still top dead center...short or removing the barrel I inspected everything and could not find a thing out of whack. I finished the brake install continuing to work the crush washer the rest of the way without any incident. Working in my garage I think I lost about 20# of water weight while twisting and releasing and twisting and releasing. Get the shims I tell ya!!!!

After checking headspace again and doing another inspection to see if anything is amiss off to the range I went. 100 rds of various ammo from PMC 55gr, PPU 75gr, Rem 77gr match and Hornaday 75gr training no malfunctions, no issues, no pressure signs pretty uneventful. Shot this group of 8 with the Remy 77gr match at 50 yes with the Aimpoint. It's not 8'cause the other 2 were off, but cause that's all I had in the box.

six8
06-11-14, 19:42
Sweet group!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Toecheese
06-11-14, 19:43
Very nice build....well done sir! I'm assuming you are running 1:7 twist shooting 77 grainers?

Iraqgunz
06-11-14, 21:54
All of our barrels in 16" are 1/8 twist.

Very nice build....well done sir! I'm assuming you are running 1:7 twist shooting 77 grainers?

Iraqgunz
06-11-14, 21:55
Thanks for posting. We always like to see how the barrels are shooting. Sounds like that thing is doing well.

Well my first complete build is finally complete. 26497

It started out a family project with my bro, building on a pair of Aero precision lowers, but ended with a repurposing of my Stag lower from my SPR clone. Particulars as below:

LOWER:
Stag forged lower
Stag LPK
Added BAD safety selector (standard and short levers)
Chip McCormick single stage match trigger
KNS pins
BAD take down pin
BCM Mod 2 Grip
MagPul Enhanced Trigger Guard
BCM MilSpec Receiver extension
BCM carbine spring
BCM H Buffer
MagPul CTR

UPPER:
BCM Blem receiver. Marked M4 at has tube hole so it's their new one.
Sionics 16 mid lightweight melonite barrel
Sionics gas tube
BCM Gas Block (625)
BCM Gunfighter Mod0 comp
BCM KMR 13
Aimpoint CompML3 (2 MOA)
ADM mount

Assembly was pretty straight forward. Spent a lot of time reading manuals and bought a few books with tips and what not to dos along with reading here quite a bit before starting.

THOUGHTS:

Tools: Amazon is hit or miss. Bought roll pin pinches and starters off there. The starters worked as advertised but the roll pin punches were 50% crap. The smaller diameter ones were nothing more that spherically tipped punches. As soon as you hit the pin the tool wanted to flare it open. Not a big deal, but annoying. Barrel vice in addition to the action vice. Get one or make one for your barrel; you will be thankful when you want to install that muzzle device. Grease. A $6 tub from AutoZone will last through the apocalypse, the coming renaissance and the following apocalypse as well.

The barrel extension fit in the BCM is pretty snug. With a super thin coat of grease around the extension and inside the upper the barrel was a snug fit. Getting the pin to fully seat took a tiny love tap with the end of a rubber mallet.

The KMR is retarded simple to install. After whimping out and not wanting to use my fingers to grease up the barrel and nut, I used a towel to spread the grease about. Unfortunately I found out that, yes there is such a thing as too much grease. I didn't think input too much on there till I snugged the barrel nut and it ooooozed through the holes for the wrench. Nothing a towel couldn't clean up, but still funny seeing a barrel nut have diarrhea. After than 3 preliminary torques and a final torque to 45 lb-ft and we were done. The rail itself slid on after use of my wife's hair drier to warm it up. Simple as hell and feels solid as hell.

The muzzle device was another story. I skimped and went with the supplied crush washer instead of buying a set of shims. If you're thinking about this just spend the money and get the shims. You'll save a lot of effort and sweat. Mine took a little over 3/4 revolution to time. I went slow as possible since I didn't have a barrel vice and was using a clamshell action vice. I didn't want to put wierd stress on the barrel or upper. Small turns and release. Rinse and repeat to work the crush washer. About 1/2 way through I get a rather annoying SNAP sound. I have yet to figure out what went snap. My vice is in one shape, the action block is in one shape, barrel still indexed with the feed ramps and the GB still top dead center...short or removing the barrel I inspected everything and could not find a thing out of whack. I finished the brake install continuing to work the crush washer the rest of the way without any incident. Working in my garage I think I lost about 20# of water weight while twisting and releasing and twisting and releasing. Get the shims I tell ya!!!!

After checking headspace again and doing another inspection to see if anything is amiss off to the range I went. 100 rds of various ammo from PMC 55gr, PPU 75gr, Rem 77gr match and Hornaday 75gr training no malfunctions, no issues, no pressure signs pretty uneventful. Shot this group of 8 with the Remy 77gr match at 50 yes with the Aimpoint. It's not 8'cause the other 2 were off, but cause that's all I had in the box.