PDA

View Full Version : Going with the Colt LE6920 as my only rifle, this a good call?

jedi391
06-12-14, 00:16
I decided to buy a rifle (only pistols up until now) but I can only justify one long gun and I think I've settled on the Colt LE6920. Would you guys think it's a good choice if you were only going to own one rifle?

JR TACTICAL
06-12-14, 00:20
Fantastic choice and a fantastic rifle. It will serve you well for many years. I'm sure most on here will agree.

Now go get some mags and ammo and some training and shoot the thing!

CRAMBONE
06-12-14, 00:22
It's currently my only COMPLETE personal AR. To me, the 6920 is the baseline. There are cooler more expensive better toys, but for a general purpose carbine a 6920 is hard to beat. Especially for the prices you can find them at.

Now that isn't to say there aren't other rifles on my short list, but for now they have to wait.

Flankenstein
06-12-14, 00:44
Great choice. At the prices today you'd be an idiot not to have at least one!

Iraqgunz
06-12-14, 01:59
Use the Google search feature above and type in Colt 6920. I am sure that there will be plenty of reading for you.

carolvs
06-12-14, 02:03
I decided to buy a rifle (only pistols up until now) but I can only justify one long gun and I think I've settled on the Colt LE6920. Would you guys think it's a good choice if you were only going to own one rifle?

It is a fine choice until you can afford a second one. "One is none."

Fordtough25
06-12-14, 04:55

Yes, buy with confidence. And shoot as much as you can to be proficient.

T.B.
06-12-14, 06:03
My first AR15 was a Colt LE6920 MP-B. It is a good gun. I have had some issues with rounds getting hung up and gouged on the feed ramps. But overall very good quality and construction. It shoots well. But then I bought a BCM 14.5" mid length KMR upper and matted that to my 6920 lower. The BCM is much more accurate than my colt. If I could go back and do it over I would buy the BCM over the colt.

wildcard600
06-12-14, 07:14
Yes, good choice. You could have done MUCH worse.

kutz
06-12-14, 07:20
Yes, good choice

Nightstalker865
06-12-14, 07:57
As others have said, the Colt will serve you well for a long time. There are softer shooting and more accurate guns on the market for a couple hundred more, but the LE6920 is a quality weapon that will hold its value for a long time. I don't think you can go wrong picking one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiGfever
06-12-14, 08:09
Great rifle but look at the offerings from BCM in the Mid-Length configuration.

HMsailor
06-12-14, 08:35
the best choice. 2nd goes to daniel defense.

Maddmax
06-12-14, 10:45
I have many. If I could only take or have one it would be the DDM4 V-7 or DDM4 V-9 hands down.

djegators
06-12-14, 11:01
The 6920 is an excellent choice, that will last a long time, and sure almost everyone's needs.

argyle64
06-12-14, 11:15
The Colt 6920 is a good rifle. Nothing wrong with owning one but I'm afraid you'll need another to go with it soon enough.

plouffedaddy
06-12-14, 11:21
6920 is a great all purpose rifle. It'll likely still shoot great for your grandkids.

GunBugBit
06-12-14, 11:52
For a grab-n-go rifle that will serve in a great many applications, this is a fine pick.

turnburglar
06-12-14, 12:34
For the few extra bucks I would get a bcm instead.

If for no other reason the customer service you get from a smaller manufacture that eludes a giant conglomerate.

DWood
06-12-14, 12:37
Yes.

There are other choices that are suitable too. You didn't really need confirmation on this forum to know the answer to the 6920 question though, did you?

midSCarolina
06-12-14, 13:06
For a general purpose rifle, I would always go with either Colt, BCM, or LMT. I think the Colt is a great choice (as long as you can handle the name without getting all smug haha). Don't expect flawless looks but you can definitely count on a reliable weapon.

RWCRaiden
06-12-14, 13:06
Can't go wrong with a Colt.

C-grunt
06-12-14, 15:21
There are other rifles that might be better at certain things or "better" when it comes to personal choice for certain features. However there is no doubt that the 6920 is the gold standard for AR15s. There is a reason every other rifle is compared to it.

Its as close to buying an actual M4 Carbine as you can reasonably get and that weapon has been serving our military well for a couple decades.

Megalomegalodon
06-12-14, 15:26
Excellent choice. I almost went the same route but decided on the LE6940. I wanted the monolithic upper and free float rail and it was only a couple hundred more than the LE6920.

justin_247
06-12-14, 16:00
Yup. You can use it for just about anything from self-defense to shooting dirt clods at the range to taking small and some medium game. And you can take buy another receiver with a larger caliber if you want to go beyond that...

Now you just need ammo, a dozen mags, a good optic, a good light, a good sling, and a spare bolt... then you'll be set.

masakari
06-12-14, 17:27
It doesn't get much better than the 6920. Get it.

Jesse H
06-12-14, 17:56
I'm not even done acquiring stuff for my first 6920 and I'm already thinking of getting a couple more.

Honorthecall81
06-12-14, 18:34
Fine for the money. The great thing is that's these rifles are erector sets for grown men.... And yes sometimes ladies. So customise that bad boy the way you'd like. Just heed the advice of the knowledgable in here and learn from our mistakes . No need to waste money.

MILSHOOTER
06-12-14, 19:12
I would definitely say that a 6920 is a great choice. You can hunt, target shoot, compete, and protect yourself all with one gun. "Beware of the man with only one gun."

Beat Trash
06-13-14, 09:15
It's a great choice. At the current pricing for a 6920, it's hard to talk someone out of a Colt 6920.

There are other options out there that are just as good, or depending on the individual's needs, maybe even a bit better suited. But the 6920 is a great "all around" basic rifle. Being "basic" isn't always a bad thing.

I used one for several years. I have 6920's set aside for each of my kids.

Do some reading on the subject. Consider getting a RDS (Aimpoint PRO is also a deal for the money) and a white light if you want to use it for defense.

Get some competent training with your Colt. In time you may go to something different, but I'd be willing to bet you will still want to hang onto your 6920, because it's a workhorse.

togjr9
06-13-14, 09:27
Good choice, my first rifle was a LE6920. Remember rifle are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

tog
06-13-14, 10:27
Very good choice indeed!

M&P15T
06-13-14, 14:20

Hell no.

6920s are old-school. There's nothing positive about them other than the roll-mark. And they're out-dated set-ups. From the gas system, to the stock & grip, to the barrel length, to the FSP, no FF rail, etc., etc.

Save a few more bucks and do it right. And sell some pistols if need be, to fund a proper AR. Pistols start to feel pretty useless after you get into ARs.

Flankenstein
06-13-14, 14:53
Hell no.

6920s are old-school. There's nothing positive about them other than the roll-mark. And they're out-dated set-ups. From the gas system, to the stock & grip, to the barrel length, to the FSP, no FF rail, etc., etc.

Save a few more bucks and do it right. And sell some pistols if need be, to fund a proper AR. Pistols start to feel pretty useless after you get into ARs.

LOL...

M&P15T
06-13-14, 15:07
LOL...

True story.

Megalomegalodon
06-13-14, 15:08
Hell no.

If it ain't broke why fix it. Just sayin'

BTL BRN
06-13-14, 15:14
LOL...

Seems like a lot of post padding going on, I can't tell if he is serious or not?!

M&P15T
06-13-14, 15:28
If it ain't broke why fix it. Just sayin'

Tons of reasons. ARs have moved on.

All sorts of rails, grips, stocks, barrels, comps/breaks. ARs are better now.

When someone says they only want one AR (same as me), I suggest a mid to high-end AR. Something with a mid-length gas system, better stock, grip, no FSP, etc., etc.

Buy once, cry one.

The problem is that AR noobs come here, and when they start a thread asking about the 6920, every 6920 fan-boy comes running to say they're the best of the best.....which they aren't.

The time has come to drop the 6920 as the standard. It has nothing modern about it, it's completely old-school. And AR noobs don't know any better, so they run out and buy one based on the suggestions of 6920 fan-boys. And they do so without ever even asking or hearing about what else is out there, without exploring their other options.

I call it the Tyranny of The Thread Title. Start a thread with any particular AR model in the title, and all the fan-boys come running to post all about how their precious-precious is the bestest thing evar.

223to45
06-13-14, 16:06
When someone says they only want one AR (same as me), I suggest a mid to high-end AR. Something with a mid-length gas system, better stock, grip, no FSP, etc., etc.

Buy once, cry one.

The

If that is the case , should go Straight to KAC SR15-E3

jedi391
06-13-14, 16:44
Hell no.

6920s are old-school. There's nothing positive about them other than the roll-mark. And they're out-dated set-ups. From the gas system, to the stock & grip, to the barrel length, to the FSP, no FF rail, .

I think you have a point that people who already have a particular product and are happy with its performance are likely to praise it due to their own experience. I think that's a plus because it's a good indicator of people who have extensive experience with something and have had a positive experience they want to share. Admittedly this doesn't mean that others may not have insight on a different product that may be as good or better. Your comment seems to be a negative over reaction as opposed to what you saw as a positive over reaction. For example, I might be talking about a glass and everyone says it's practically spilling over with water but you don't think that's the case so you rush in to say there's no water at all in it. Maybe the Colt isn't that symbolic full glass but I don't believe based on research I have done that "there's nothing positive about them other the roll mark" or that it's a symbolic nice glass with no water at all in it. I talked to an Army guy today who did some time in Afghanistan and he said he carried an M4 over there during his stay and it was very reliable and accurate, he bought one (LE6920) when he got back because he'd built up so much faith in it during combat operations. I would say that a rifle that has built up a track record of reliability and strong performance in adverse conditions and is built to the specifications of the richest Army in the world can't have "nothing positive about it" at all. I understand there are some differences like the 16 inch barrel vs the 14.5 and you've given me food for thought about the mid length gas system. As for the FSP, I like it, just for aesthetic reasons if nothing else. As far as the rail/handguard, stock, and grip.....I have no doubt I'll switch all that out a few times before I settle on a configuration in any event.

My question isn't so much is this rifle the best, I'm sure it's not, but more is it a solid rifle I can build on over time and have confidence in. I haven't cemented my choice yet but I still am leaning Colt. That said I appreciate all opinions this one included.

Flankenstein
06-13-14, 16:47
I think you have a point that people who already have a particular product and are happy with its performance are likely to praise it due to their own experience. I think that's a plus because it's a good indicator of people who have extensive experience with something and have had a positive experience they want to share. Admittedly this doesn't mean that others may not have insight on a different product that may be as good or better. Your comment seems to be a negative over reaction as opposed to what you saw as a positive over reaction. For example, I might be talking about a glass and everyone says it's practically spilling over with water but you don't think that's the case so you rush in to say there's no water at all in it. Maybe the Colt isn't that symbolic full glass but I don't believe based on research I have done that "there's nothing positive about them other the roll mark" or that it's a symbolic nice glass with no water at all in it. I talked to an Army guy today who did some time in Afghanistan and he said he carried an M4 over there during his stay and it was very reliable and accurate, he bought one (LE6920) when he got back because he'd built up so much faith in it during combat operations. I would say that a rifle that has built up a track record of reliability and strong performance in adverse conditions and is built to the specifications of the richest Army in the world can't have "nothing positive about it" at all. I understand there are some differences like the 16 inch barrel vs the 14.5 and you've given me food for thought about the mid length gas system. As for the FSP, I like it, just for aesthetic reasons if nothing else. As far as the rail/handguard, stock, and grip.....I have no doubt I'll switch all that out a few times before I settle on a configuration in any event.

My question isn't so much is this rifle the best, I'm sure it's not, but more is it a solid rifle I can build on over time and have confidence in. I haven't cemented my choice yet but I still am leaning Colt. That said I appreciate all opinions this one included.

I think you know the answer to this question.

Jesse H
06-13-14, 16:48
no FSP, etc., etc.

I'm curious why that's a bad thing.

DWood
06-13-14, 16:59
Less filling, ..... tastes great, less filling, ..... tastes great. These threads ALWAYS get there.

M&P15T
06-13-14, 17:09

The main concern I have with the 6920 is it's carbine-length gas system and FSP. Going with a mid-length gas system provides a really nice, smooth and sweet shooting experience. With a 6920, you're stuck with a carbine-length gas system until you choose to swap out the barrel.

And as far as the FSP, right now your aesthetic choice is to have one. And I would guess that this is based on the idea that it's what our military folks use. However, our upper tier military folks do not use one. So, if you suddenly decide that you want to copy what the special operations guys carry, you're in a pickle, because you're stuck with an FSB. Whereas if you get something without an FSP, you can create any number of the current variations on the AR/M4 theme.

I might suggest going through some of the picture threads, specifically the SOPMOD Block II picture thread.

jedi391
06-13-14, 17:28
I'm issued a rifle at work and it has a fold down front sight rather then the fixed set up because it's equipped with an Aimpoint, along with the requisite rail system/light etc. Personally since I co-witnessed the aimpoint with the iron sights I just left my front sight flipped up.....it didn't obscure anything and in the event the aimpoint goes down or gets knocked out of alignment I'll already have the backup ready to go without any time spent getting the flip up sight up. I also figured I'll know pretty quickly if the aimpoint has lost it's zero, come loose etc. The guys who I went through the rifle class with at work are overwhelmingly Marine or Army and they all thought the Colt was a great choice. I posted here as well because I'm a fan of a diversity of thought from different backgrounds before I lay down my cash. Up until I went though the class and got issued a rifle, it's been all pistol all the time for me so I'm still learning about the different manufacturers and setups. Like I said before, I appreciate all opinions, I have found I can learn allot from virtually all opinions.....even ones that seemingly contradict each other so everyone who has a different perspective.....let it fly.

My work gun is fine, I'll probably shoot it the most, I just want to own my own and since prices were once $3500+ for the Colt I figured why not snap something up now for $950.....never know when the next panic will come.

donlapalma
06-13-14, 17:52
OP, it sounds like you have your head on straight and it's obvious you have the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. There are many threads on this forum explaining why the 6920 warrants the respect that it gets and it's not because of "fanboy" promotional skills. If you end up like some of us here, this will just be the start of a very long, fun (and potentially expensive :fie:) journey in AR pattern rifles. Buy the Colt with confidence, but start reconciling with the fact that you will want another rifle, in whatever configuration that may be, sooner than you think.

DWood
06-13-14, 18:18
The original question was if the 6920 is OK as an only rifle, and the answer is yes. Everything else is just noise.

For the record, I don't own a Colt.

Moonlight Again
06-13-14, 18:22
The original question was if the 6920 is OK as an only rifle, and the answer is yes. Everything else is just noise.

For the record, I don't own a Colt.

I think that said it all right there. And just like DWood, I don't own a Colt rifle. (Pistols? That's a different matter.)