PDA

View Full Version : A2 Front Sight Question

Spartan Nick
06-12-14, 00:50
So I picked up my new AR and hit the range to zero the rifle the other day and had somewhat of a problem. Either that or I'm an idiot. Probably that.

I was trying to adjust the A2 front sight post...I didn't have a front sight adjustment tool (probably should have bought one) and instead just wrapped a small piece of cardboard over the middle post, and used a pair of pliers to try to turn the post.

The cardboard didn't help at all and the pliers still scraped up the middle sight post pretty bad. Functionality wise I think it's still straight and not bent or anything, but it just looks terrible. I really don't feel like sending it in to get it fixed (Colt probably wouldn't even fix it for me b/c it as my fault) or replace it with another sight.

I know my options are probably limited but is there anything else I could do? Is just the middle post replaceable?

Here is a pic. Thanks for any advice.

LMT Shooter
06-12-14, 01:32
The front sight post itself is easily replaced. Did the post turn when you did this? Were you depressing the plunger that holds the sight in place while you were turning the post? The post should turn fairly easily, not requiring a strong grip that leaves marks like that.

1- Buy a sight tool.

2- Strongly consider seeking a qualified gunsmith for some advice & help.

I'd guess that either you did something wrong, or there's something wrong with the front sight. Maybe both. Live & learn, not a big deal.

Iraqgunz
06-12-14, 01:40
Take the above advice and then get the right tools. I suggest you watch a video on how to adjust it as well.

black22rifle
06-12-14, 02:03
Why didnt you just use the bullet tip of a cartidge? You can also just replace it with a new front sight post.

Spartan Nick
06-12-14, 02:04
Yeah I was pressing down on the plunger pretty hard, I was surprised it wasn't turning easily...I really had to put some force into it. Maybe it just came from the factory stiff.

Anyway I do see a replacement front sight post on cheaperthandirt for 6 bucks. At first I thought I had to replace the whole FSB.

I'll probably take it somewhere and just have a smith replace it.

Thanks for the advice.

Airhasz
06-12-14, 02:13
Get a front sight tool and learn to use it on the sight post you marred up. Check out some YouTube AR15 front sight adjustment video, add a drop of gun oil and proceed to get a lesson on how to adjust, remove and replace this part. That is how you learn to smith your own AR15, one part at a time. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Iraqgunz
06-12-14, 02:24
This may be harsh, but really? Are you going to take it somewhere everytime something happens and you don't know why? A sight tool is cheap. Get a sight tool and put a few drops of oil on the detent. Then push it down a few times with a bullet tip. Then use this to adjust it.

If this intimidates you, maybe you should sell it since there are going to plenty of other things down the road.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=178

Yeah I was pressing down on the plunger pretty hard, I was surprised it wasn't turning easily...I really had to put some force into it. Maybe it just came from the factory stiff.

Anyway I do see a replacement front sight post on cheaperthandirt for 6 bucks. At first I thought I had to replace the whole FSB.

I'll probably take it somewhere and just have a smith replace it.

Thanks for the advice.

markm
06-12-14, 08:51
Holy Muther FuKK!

I couldn't even fire that gun at all until that disaster was replaced. I get irritated if there's a little shiny spot in my FSP.

That needs to be replaced by someone with mechanical ability.

argyle64
06-12-14, 09:31
Like everyone above has said, you need a front sight tool and keep it in your range bag or your rifle case. There are a bunch out there and remember, a standard front sight tool will not work with a Magpul MBUS front sight. They're different sizes and Magpul includes one with their sights in the package. I have this one (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-TOOL0902) on my keychain so I'm never without it.

markm
06-12-14, 09:33
I inevitably am without the tool when I need it. But I've never raped an FSP like this. At no point should you even be touching the actual post. It's all the detent and the base of the sight.

Toecheese
06-12-14, 09:34
I would replace the FS post. Looking at that gnarled up post would bother me.

Eurodriver
06-12-14, 10:06
I've always used the tip of a bullet and never had any issues. How did the FSP not spin at all while you were depressing the plunger?

I would replace the FS post. Looking at that gnarled up post would bother me.

To acquire a correct sight alignment/picture the top of the post needs to be flat (in order to slice the target in half). Having it all gnarled up will at the very least make it much more difficult and contribute to faster eye strain.

Jonah2014
06-12-14, 11:09
You should be able to easily replace that your self, without having to waste more cash letting someone else do it.

C-grunt
06-12-14, 15:30
Ive always used a cartridge. Push the plunger down with the bullet tip and the bullet fits right in the notch. Then just use the bullet to turn the post to the next notch. It does take longer than using the tool but how often do you zero your irons?