PDA

View Full Version : This rifle doesnt get hot like my last one

cbx
06-12-14, 14:01
While this might sound like a dumb question, I'll ask anyway.

Previous rifle: armalite m15 carbine midlegnth.

Current rifle: pws mk116 mod 1.

My armalite would just get smoking hot around the barrel. It had the standard hand guard. This pws doesn't seem to get hot at all compared to the other rifle.

Is it the vented hand guard? Isonite barrel? Profile? Gas system? Combination?

My guess is hand guard, but would like to know more. Does the type of barrel change how fast it can cool?

markm
06-12-14, 14:08
I don't know anything about what a pws Mk116 is... but my initial thought is that the old gun had a Tight bore or a tight spot in the bore.

I've heard stories of this type of thing happening on bad button rifle factory barrels where the issue was caught after gauging the bore. A tight spot in the bore causes tremendous heat and pressure.

Onyx Z
06-12-14, 14:10
Isn't that a piston gun? I don't have any experience with them, but they are supposed to stay cooler than a DI gun due to the gas exiting near the muzzle as opposed to into the action.

markm
06-12-14, 14:11
The barrel temp shouldn't be noticeably different though.

Onyx Z
06-12-14, 14:12
The barrel temp shouldn't be noticeably different though.

The heat he's referring to could be coming from the gas tube. I know that sucker gets pretty dang hot and I doubt the piston transfers anywhere near as much heat.

FIGJAM
06-12-14, 14:13
I'd say Piston vs. DI? Im sort of a newb so dont take my word for it but thats my guess. I'm sure the substantially more knowledgeable people here can nail it down precisely.

argyle64
06-12-14, 14:43
The heat he's referring to could be coming from the gas tube. I know that sucker gets pretty dang hot and I doubt the piston transfers anywhere near as much heat.

This right here. The PWS is a piston rifle instead of DI. The amount of hot gas coming back into the receiver is reduced with the piston system. There is some heat on the barrel but most of the heat you notice is from the gas tube.

markm
06-12-14, 14:50
This right here. The PWS is a piston rifle instead of DI. The amount of hot gas coming back into the receiver is reduced with the piston system. There is some heat on the barrel but most of the heat you notice is from the gas tube.

Yeah.. the tube will get toasty. But heat in the receiver is negligible. There was a thermal cam video of this somewhere. It used to boil my ass when these Apes would pull a Piston Bolt out and hold it in their hand as though you couldn't do the exact same with a DI gun.

C-grunt
06-12-14, 15:15
Id say has to do with handguards. A good vented handguard is going to dissipate the heat from the barrel better and faster. With a decently quick firing schedule your barrel gets super hot.

Onyx Z
06-12-14, 15:20
Yeah.. the tube will get toasty. But heat in the receiver is negligible. There was a thermal cam video of this somewhere. It used to boil my ass when these Apes would pull a Piston Bolt out and hold it in their hand as though you couldn't do the exact same with a DI gun.

Yeah, I've done that before... hell, one of my friends wants some LWRCi monstrosity for this reason. If he buys one, we're not friends anymore.

argyle64
06-12-14, 15:42

I agree with you that the heat in the receiver is negligible.

TMS951
06-12-14, 15:57
Are the hard guards not acting as a huge heat sink?

sinlessorrow
06-12-14, 16:33
Difference in handguards. The M15 comes with standard double heat shielded polymer handguards....They trap in heat and hold it there.

The PWS has a unique handguard design that is basically just 4 rails attached at 2 seperate points allowing for a ton of air cooling to happen.

Leonidas24
06-12-14, 18:57
Difference in handguards. The M15 comes with standard double heat shielded polymer handguards....They trap in heat and hold it there.

The PWS has a unique handguard design that is basically just 4 rails attached at 2 seperate points allowing for a ton of air cooling to happen.

Mod 1's have free float key mod rails. Somebody already mentioned the gas tube thing. That's basically it in that you don't have heat radiating from the gas tube. Be wary however that the gas block on PWS rifles, especially at the gas port adjustment cut-out, will burn the shit out of your hand.

MistWolf
06-12-14, 19:22
What is the difference between the barrel profiles? What is the difference in barrel alloys? Was the same ammo used? What are the differences in mass and alloy between the two gas blocks?

cbx
06-12-14, 22:09
I don't know anything about what a pws Mk116 is... but my initial thought is that the old gun had a Tight bore or a tight spot in the bore.

I've heard stories of this type of thing happening on bad button rifle factory barrels where the issue was caught after gauging the bore. A tight spot in the bore causes tremendous heat and pressure.

On the tight barrel theory, that gun had incredible accuracy with 50gr federal hp. Like .5 moa. It would out shoot a bushy varmiter. Walked a red bull can over the at 200 berm. It hated lots of other ammo. Like 3-4 moa on red box black hills about 10 yrs ago.

Could the tight barrel have made potential for better accuracy?

cbx
06-12-14, 22:12

I should have clarified on heat. From say barrel nut forward. That is where the heat was pronounced

cbx
06-12-14, 22:14
What is the difference between the barrel profiles? What is the difference in barrel alloys? Was the same ammo used? What are the differences in mass and alloy between the two gas blocks?

The m15 was an hbar if I remember right. The pws seems thinner next to a m4 profile.

Onyx Z
06-13-14, 00:01
I should have clarified on heat. From say barrel nut forward. That is where the heat was pronounced

I'm willing to bet the heat was radiating off the gas tube under the handguard. Now that you have a piston instead of a gas tube, the heat is less pronounced.

sinlessorrow
06-13-14, 02:02
Mod 1's have free float key mod rails. Somebody already mentioned the gas tube thing. That's basically it in that you don't have heat radiating from the gas tube. Be wary however that the gas block on PWS rifles, especially at the gas port adjustment cut-out, will burn the shit out of your hand.

PWS is long stroke, it has a gas tube just like the AK has a gas tube...and yes it gets hot.

HeliPilot
06-13-14, 05:49
Years ago when I worked at a gun range a customer on the line asked me why his gun was getting hot as he was shooting it, I told him it was because he was standing in the sun...

markm
06-13-14, 08:51
Years ago when I worked at a gun range a customer on the line asked me why his gun was getting hot as he was shooting it, I told him it was because he was standing in the sun...

When I drove in to work this morning, my engine got warm. I need to drive in the shade from now on.

cbx
06-13-14, 13:39
Dry ice anyone?

M&P15T
06-13-14, 14:08
LOL!!!

I shot my BCM HSP Carbine a few weeks ago, and it got very hot. Too hot to touch the Geissele rail.

I am now completely sold on using a VFG.

MistWolf
06-13-14, 19:07
I got my carbine with the MagPul handguards so hot that it turned the stainless steel barrel brown. Never used gloves, never got burned. I'm a firm believer in synthetic handguards