PDA

View Full Version : Upper fitment issue/ help ID the manufacturer

kest_01
06-12-14, 17:03
So a friend acquired this upper in a trade, issue is it won't mate to any of the lowers we've tried. Tried it on his S&W and his 2 different Stags, tried it on 1 of my BCM lowers. On the S&W lower it will go together with some coercing to get the rear takedown pin all the way through. On all the others the pins holes don't align enough for the pin to go in more than a fraction of an inch. Is this something that can be fixed? If so how? Second part to the question, can anyone ID who the manufacturer is, as he might be able to contact them for assistance.

GH41
06-12-14, 17:41
Is that a Ching-Chang upper?? Your pictures pretty much suck. Stamped T-marks? What happened to the ramp cuts? Hard to tell from the pictures. GH

kest_01
06-12-14, 17:54
Yeah sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I can try to get better pics either later today or tomorrow. The only markings on the upper are the keyhole ( which should be Cerro forge, yes? ) and a small "L" on the rear takedown tab.

justin_247
06-12-14, 19:19
So a friend acquired this upper in a trade, issue is it won't mate to any of the lowers we've tried. Tried it on his S&W and his 2 different Stags, tried it on 1 of my BCM lowers. On the S&W lower it will go together with some coercing to get the rear takedown pin all the way through. On all the others the pins holes don't align enough for the pin to go in more than a fraction of an inch. Is this something that can be fixed? If so how? Second part to the question, can anyone ID who the manufacturer is, as he might be able to contact them for assistance.

The keyhole is a Cerro forge mark... they probably did the forging, and another vendor did the machining. They are the OEM for a whole host of vendors, so I seriously doubt you'll be able to determine which vendor solely based on the keyhole.

Now, the L mark on the rear takedown lug could be from LAR.

Onyx Z
06-13-14, 00:05
Dude, what's up with the feedramps? Looks like someone tried to turn an A2 into an M4 with a dremel.

kest_01
06-13-14, 06:44
Yeah they definitely look rough, I'll try to get some better pics of this whole setup today.

T2C
06-13-14, 08:59
Was the upper brand new when your friend took it in trade?

Are there any mfg. marks on the barrel?

kest_01
06-13-14, 10:03
The guy he got it from put the upper together, had a dpms barrel and bcg, surefire rail and a gunfighter ch. What I'm really trying to find out is if the upper can be somehow fixed so that it'll actually fit on any of his lowers, or if it's just a cheap POS that isn't worth the trouble.

justin_247
06-13-14, 10:28
The guy he got it from put the upper together, had a dpms barrel and bcg, surefire rail and a gunfighter ch. What I'm really trying to find out is if the upper can be somehow fixed so that it'll actually fit on any of his lowers, or if it's just a cheap POS that isn't worth the trouble.

Based upon the choice of parts (all low end, except for the Gunfighter CH), I'm willing to bet that he paid very little for the upper receiver. Being that you can't identify the manufacturer or vendor, I would open up the bottom part of the take down lug holes a little bit and see if it'll fit.

redmist
06-13-14, 10:37
Check the rear lug hole with a drill bit shank. The hole should be slightly Oval. If it's not, that's the area I would attack to try and get it to work.

M&P15T
06-13-14, 14:04
This is why buying used parts is a crap-shoot.

I don't buy used anymore, 1/2 the time you're just buying someone else's problems.

Zirk208
06-13-14, 14:37
This is why buying used parts is a crap-shoot.

I don't buy used anymore, 1/2 the time you're just buying someone else's problems.

This. Johnny Gunsmith went to town with his dremel to make it an "Operator's Carbean" with M4 food ramps and all. When he FUBAR'd it...he sold it to the next guy down the line. Your friend was the next guy.
If you need to cut, grind, weld, or adjust fit, do it on the cheapest part to replace. As the upper appears to be the issue when tried on multiple lowers, I'd focus my efforts there. Make it fit the lowers, not the other way around.

SilverBullet432
06-13-14, 14:41
Quality Cerro forge forging, shitty machining, what a waste of material.

M&P15T
06-13-14, 15:05
This. Johnny Gunsmith went to town with his dremel to make it an "Operator's Carbean" with M4 food ramps and all. When he FUBAR'd it...he sold it to the next guy down the line. Your friend was the next guy.

And you're completely and utterly screwed. No warranty, no company standing behind their product, just screwed.

Not worth it just to save a few bucks.