PDA

View Full Version : Redi Mag Holder Question?

Gunfighter.45
06-05-08, 13:57
Hey guys the redi mag holder from Boonie Packer. Is it good or is there better? Which one would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

rob_s
06-05-08, 14:01
I ordered one of these (http://blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=1&prod_id=91) from this guy (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LW-RM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBFGE)

It arrives today, and I should get to play with it a bit next week. I'll let you know what I think.

C4IGrant
06-05-08, 14:05
Hey guys the redi mag holder from Boonie Packer. Is it good or is there better? Which one would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

The best one is the modified version that BFG does. We also have them in stock.

C4

blake6551
06-05-08, 14:21
Has anyone tried using one left-handed?

Joe R.
06-05-08, 17:32
Larry Vickers uses one and shoots his long guns left handed, so it can be done.

Dave L.
06-05-08, 17:40
Do they work with with 2 P-MAGS side by side?

rob_s
06-05-08, 18:26
Do they work with with 2 P-MAGS side by side?

Yes. I've seen it done, but not tried it myself yet.

My package came with a cool hat!
:D

Ben Lenett
06-05-08, 18:27
Two PMAGs will work fine side by side.

karmapolice
06-05-08, 19:09
I want to pick up one of these possibly, if I could get one of SDI Tactical bolt catch extenders I would already have one for sure. I wish I was cool enough to get one for T&E.

rob_s
06-05-08, 19:31
Having the SDI/Magpul part is what made me buy the BFG Redimag. :p

FWIW, I just weighed the BFG and it's 7 oz. Not bad at all, although the extra loaded mag it holds is where the real weight will come in.

Jay Cunningham
06-05-08, 19:39

FWIW, I just weighed the BFG and it's 7 oz. Not bad at all, although the extra loaded mag it holds is where the real weight will come in.

Fortunately it's more or less over the center of mass (balance point) of the rifle.

karmapolice
06-05-08, 20:30

Haha lucky :o , thats what I was talking about if I had the SDI/Magpul part I would buy the BFG Redimag lol

rob_s
06-13-08, 12:40
Got mine. Weighed it. Got it mounted. Haven't run it yet.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/weights/IMG_2737Medium.jpg

Derek_Connor
06-13-08, 13:15
Redi-mag has its pros and cons, Travis has his setup pretty well from what I remember.

He had an older version, but he cut it down on his own to match the BFG weight reduction..

The benefit for a true "fighting gun" with the older model is that you do not have to worry about pushing a 2nd magazine release to eject the full mag. On a true "SPEED UP I NEED ****ING BULLETS NOW" that is a plus..

but for me, average joe, etc, having the new BFG model where I can eject the mags independtly is nice when it comes to magazine management. I do not have to worry about fumbling with 2 mags on my reactionary side hand..

rob_s
06-13-08, 13:22
The benefit for a true "fighting gun" with the older model is that you do not have to worry about pushing a 2nd magazine release to eject the full mag. On a true "SPEED UP I NEED ****ING BULLETS NOW" that is a plus..

but for me, average joe, etc, having the new BFG model where I can eject the mags independtly is nice when it comes to magazine management. I do not have to worry about fumbling with 2 mags on my reactionary side hand..

I agree.

The few times I tried the "old version" I wound up throwing the spare mag on the ground. I'm sure I could have trained around it, but the new version seems much easier to get used to.

recon
06-13-08, 22:21
When you guys get a chance can you post some pictures so we can see these on the rifle?

KevinB
06-14-08, 02:51
Redi-mag has its pros and cons, Travis has his setup pretty well from what I remember.

He had an older version, but he cut it down on his own to match the BFG weight reduction..

I will wholeheartedly disagree -- I can find no upside to the GenI Redi-Mags -- all that happens is when you are changing mags on the run etc you leave a lot of full mags behind especially at night.

Robb Jensen
06-14-08, 07:20
The Gen-1 works very well for Travis, but Travis ain't normal, he ain't like the rest of us. He finds his weaknesses and trains/practices intensively to perfection and then his weaknesses become his strengths.

Derek_Connor
06-14-08, 08:32
I will wholeheartedly disagree -- I can find no upside to the GenI Redi-Mags -- all that happens is when you are changing mags on the run etc you leave a lot of full mags behind especially at night.

different strokes for different folks...I'd venture there is a reason why BFG/Redi-mag made the version they did...and I happen to agree with it though for what I need it to do.

although the gen 1 are inherently easier to manipulate and definitely faster/less chance of fumble ****ing the proprietary magazine release since you eject both with the stock magazine release...

los
06-14-08, 09:18
...When you guys get a chance can you post some pictures so we can see these on the rifle?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/325-30.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/323-30.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/334-30.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/327-30.jpg

CarlosDJackal
06-14-08, 09:25
I agree.

The few times I tried the "old version" I wound up throwing the spare mag on the ground. I'm sure I could have trained around it, but the new version seems much easier to get used to.

I had the same problem. That Rdimag is now on my Varminter (where it seems to work pretty well). I have been thinking about the BFG version but I'm not too keep on the secon mag reloase lever. Maybe someday when I ammore proficient with what I have then I might try it. But for now I prefer to use the Mag Cinch. YMMV.

VA_Dinger
06-14-08, 11:10
The Redi-Mag certainly isn't something that you just install and then your automatically proficient at using, especially during malfunction drills. It takes time, practice, and patience but once you've got the manual of arms down bat there is no faster reload. My original A1 version came off several times, but I always gave it another try and eventually got it figured out. Now I have one on all my AR's.

The Blue Force Gear/Vickers Tactical version is without a doubt the best available. It corrects all the fleas in the original, no question about it.

Derek_Connor
06-14-08, 11:54
The Blue Force Gear/Vickers Tactical version is without a doubt the best available. It corrects all the fleas in the original, no question about it.

I'd have a hard time labeling anything the best...as posted in a previous post, there are pros/cons that are either amplified or reduced depending on the end user...

C4IGrant
06-14-08, 11:57
I'd have a hard time labeling anything the best...as posted in a previous post, there are pros/cons that are either amplified or reduced depending on the end user...

I think what Dinger is saying is that redi-mag is the best mag coupler out there and then of the two redi-mag versions, the BFG one is superior.

C4

Derek_Connor
06-14-08, 12:14
I think what Dinger is saying is that redi-mag is the best mag coupler out there and then of the two redi-mag versions, the BFG one is superior.

C4

i understand what he posted...and still find it hard labeling one version the best over the other...its user dependent based on features

there is alot more fine motor movement to ensure you hit that latch on the BFG version, as recessed as it is..on top of that movement there is alot of eye contact to ensure you have it just right..even with the extended magazine release offered from Redi-Mag

all that is fine with training, but there are pros to the Gen 1 version...and to some, one could guess, vastly outweigh the Gen 2/BFG pros

Different strokes for different folks...

I still use the BFG with pleasure...but find it does have short comings...just as with all gear we have out there..

C4IGrant
06-14-08, 12:19
i understand what he posted...and still find it hard labeling one version the best over the other...its user dependent based on features

there is alot more fine motor movement to ensure you hit that latch on the BFG version, as recessed as it is..on top of that movement there is alot of eye contact to ensure you have it just right..even with the extended magazine release offered from Redi-Mag

all that is fine with training, but there are pros to the Gen 1 version...and to some, one could guess, vastly outweigh the Gen 2/BFG pros

Different strokes for different folks...

I still use the BFG with pleasure...but find it does have short comings...just as with all gear we have out there..

I know that everyone has their own opinion, but if someone thinks that the the heavier version of the Redi-mag is superior to the older version, they should have their head examined! If you can save weight on a weapon without sacrificing then you do it! It is really that simple.

Doing mag changes is 100% about fine motor skills. If you do not have them, then it really just comes down to practicing with said item.

C4

VA_Dinger
06-14-08, 13:27

What "short comings" does the BFG/VT version have verses the originals? I have yet to see any and I've used every version so far at one point or another.

Lighter weight (substantially), better finish, and the GenII individual magazine release controls all seem to be the BFG/VT version favor.

Derek_Connor
06-14-08, 18:17
but if someone thinks that the the heavier version of the Redi-mag is superior to the older version, they should have their head examined!
C4

:rolleyes:

Order me an MRI then for considering the benefits/cons of 2 different systems..

If you can save weight on a weapon without sacrificing then you do it! It is really that simple.
C4

BFG is 7ounces..and saves "25%" over the older model....while the weight reduction might be the primary want for some users, others may want the saved time/reduce the concern of 2 buttons to push instead

Doing mag changes is 100% about fine motor skills. If you do not have them, then it really just comes down to practicing with said item.

Never disagreed with that...but adding in a second button to push, TO SOME, might be considered excess/wasted movement when the standard redi-mag operates off of the stock mag release..

I dont 100% agree with either sides, but it is not logical to ignore one or the other..

What "short comings" does the BFG/VT version have verses the originals? I have yet to see any and I've used every version so far at one point or another.

Lighter weight (substantially), better finish, and the GenII individual magazine release controls all seem to be the BFG/VT version favor.

Sorry - I already listed them in a couple posts above and a little int his one..

as i have constantly mentioned..both havetheir cons/pros, to label one "the best" is irrational...to say one is "the best for me, what i need it to do" makes alot more sense..

Yojimbo
06-14-08, 20:33
The BFG version looks interesting.

How exactly is the secondary mag release button activated?

I'm guessing with your support hand thumb as you grab the mag???

CLHC
06-14-08, 20:40
The BFG version looks interesting.

How exactly is the secondary mag release button activated?

I'm guessing with your support hand thumb as you grab the mag???

From the Redi-Mag website:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/Redi_MagLeft.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/Redi_MagRight.jpg

Don't know if that answered your question any, but hope it does. :) Should be the same for the BFG version too I'm assuming?

Yojimbo
06-14-08, 20:48
Thanks, the second pic was what I was thinking.

C4IGrant
06-15-08, 10:57
:rolleyes:

Order me an MRI then for considering the benefits/cons of 2 different systems..

I am not saying that you shouldn't consider both options, but it is really a no brainer once you look at the two.

BFG is 7ounces..and saves "25%" over the older model....while the weight reduction might be the primary want for some users, others may want the saved time/reduce the concern of 2 buttons to push instead

7 ounces is a HUGE deal. Simply Dynamic stated to me that every ounce of weight savings is important. If you can cut weight and still have the weapon do what you want it to do, then you cut the weight. A lighter weapon is always going to be faster.

Never disagreed with that...but adding in a second button to push, TO SOME, might be considered excess/wasted movement when the standard redi-mag operates off of the stock mag release..

I dont 100% agree with either sides, but it is not logical to ignore one or the other..

I have looked at both POV and am not ignoring the other one, it just doesn't make sense as weight should always be one of the primary concerns.

C4

Derek_Connor
06-15-08, 11:07
it just doesn't make sense as weight should always be one of the primary concerns.

C4

To YOU, weight might be the Primary concern, to me, to someone else, to the other million shooters out there...maybe its not..maybe its a very close second...or a damn near #10 on the list....who knows

To label somethign as the absolute best based on YOUR personal preferences is illogical. It might be the best for you...which is great...but no way does it mean its the best for me. Others out there might be more concerned on how their weapon functions vs insignificant weight advantages.. and so on

And the BFG does not save 7 ounces...it saves 25% over the older versions...

So my rough math estimates that the older versions are approximately 9ounces?

So the BFG comes in 25% lighter, making it approx 7 ounces (referencing Rob's measurements earlier)...

C4IGrant
06-15-08, 11:14
To YOU, weight might be the Primary concern, to me, to someone else, to the other million shooters out there...maybe its not..maybe its a very close second...or a damn near #10 on the list....who knows

Negative on ME! I specifically listed a person with tons of combat experience that shared their opinion on weight as I assumed you think that I was the ONLY ONE with this opinion. This is incorrect.

To label somethign as the absolute best based on YOUR personal preferences is illogical. It might be the best for you...which is great...but no way does it mean its the best for me.

No it isn't. I can give my opinion on what is best based on my experience with it and from soliciting info from other informed users. If you do not like what I have called as "best", then that is fine, but it is not illogical, you just don't agree.

And the BFG does not save 7 ounces...it saves 25% over the older versions...

So my rough math estimates that the older versions are approximately 9ounces?

So the BFG comes in 25% lighter, making it approx 7 ounces (referencing Rob's measurements earlier)...

I do not remember how much the older one weighed, but the new one saves you several ounces (at least). Ounces all add up. Take a couple ounces here and a couple ounces there and now you have a pound of weight savings.

C4

C4IGrant
06-15-08, 11:23
Some other things we should also mention about the BFG version of the Redi-mag. They have basically dehorned the thing. This of course a very good thing as sharp edges are bad. I also think the finish on them is superior.

C4

Derek_Connor
06-15-08, 11:58
Grant,
You know the point I am getting across.

I can say X is the best based off my experience, and what others have said..

You can say Y is the best based of your experience, and what others have said..

What do we have in the end?

Nothing but personal speculation/conjecture/opinions

Its whatever works for you personally/whatever helps you solve your problems the best...

Saving 2 ounces of weight might not help someone solve aparticular problem, but having a single magazine ejection/and a possibility of faster reload might be exactly what they need..and vice versa

Conversations heading down this road of this "this is the best" "this is the most superior" reminds me of 99% of the suppressor conversations out there..

There is a reason why Redi-mag still makes the older versions..there is a reason why suppressor companies make fast attach and thread on models, each can be used to solve end user's specific problems..

Erick Gelhaus
06-16-08, 11:59
Has anyone tried using one left-handed?

As Joe R mentioned, it can be done.

I just finished a three day class, two of which were spent on the carbine. I'm a lefty and ran a BFG modified redi-mag through the whole class.

rob_s
06-16-08, 12:02
There is a reason why Redi-mag still makes the older versions..there is a reason why suppressor companies make fast attach and thread on models, each can be used to solve end user's specific problems..

In both of your examples I would think that cost would be the driving factor for most buyers. Redimag makes the old versions because some people don't want to pay nearly twice as much for the "lightened" version. Thread-on cans generally sell because they are cheaper than fast-attach versions.

Dave L.
06-16-08, 12:10
I broke down and ordered one from G&R, when I get state-side in 3 weeks I'll comment on the southpaw side.

PALADIN-hgwt
06-17-08, 19:58
xxxxx