PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever taken a gun ownership poll?

Koshinn
06-13-14, 09:53
If you've taken a gun ownership poll, do you tell the truth?

I'm wondering because polls show a decline in firearms ownership, or more precisely, a decline in the percentage of households with a firearm, and I'm curious as to how many people tell the truth, especially given that they're often called at home.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/Guns.aspx

I'm assuming everyone here owns at least one firearm, so that won't be an option in this poll.

Assume the following before voting:
You are being asked via landline or cell phone.
This is not the only question asked, you're also asked about demographics information (age, gender, race, rough income, etc), random political issues, etc.
The person on the other end of the phone is in fact a person, not a machine.

If you are on Tapatalk, yes, there is a poll.
Thread URL for opening it in a browser is:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?153812

tb-av
06-13-14, 09:57
What good could come from doing so?

Crow Hunter
06-13-14, 10:00
Nope. I never do.

I don't tell anyone that I even own guns unless I am fairly close to them.

I also don't put NRA stickers on my stuff, even though I am a life member.

When I leave my house to go shooting, I hide the fact that I am taking guns out and I hide the fact that I am bringing guns back in the house.

I am not paranoid, but there might be people out to get me....:rolleyes:

I had a very bad experience when I was in 6th grade. Someone broke into our house and stole my budding knife/gun collection along with my Dad's guns including his pet Marlin 39 Mountie and my Grandfather's Model 12. It was drilled into me from that point forwards that we "don't own any guns" from that point forward.

Koshinn
06-13-14, 10:06
Nope. I never do.

I don't tell anyone that I even own guns unless I am fairly close to them.

I also don't put NRA stickers on my stuff, even though I am a life member.

When I leave my house to go shooting, I hide the fact that I am taking guns out and I hide the fact that I am bringing guns back in the house.

I am not paranoid, but there might be people out to get me....:rolleyes:

I had a very bad experience when I was in 6th grade. Someone broke into our house and stole my budding knife/gun collection along with my Dad's guns including his pet Marlin 39 Mountie and my Grandfather's Model 12. It was drilled into me from that point forwards that we "don't own any guns" from that point forward.

Yeah, I'm actually more concerned about burglars than the government given the state I'm living in.

My tennis racket bag makes nice concealment for my SBR. My gym bag that goes with it (plausible reason for why I'm not wearing shorts and a polo shirt) has other gear like ear pro, ammo, etc.

markm
06-13-14, 10:14
My tennis racket bag makes nice concealment for my SBR.

Tennis bag and a chest rig.

My street is low key... which is good when Pappabear pulls up waving a fukking SBR with a can around as he walks inside.

Bulletdog
06-13-14, 10:33
No. Never. None of anybodies business.

I've been asked by doctors too. I tell them, "Not relevant." and "None of your business." I had one doctor tell me, "Okay. So that is a 'yes'...". I told him if you write "yes" on your little form there we are going to have a big problem. Then we promptly walked out of his office and rescheduled with a different doctor who had some common sense and decorum. Another doc told me, "Well if you have any, please don't bring them here." I said, "Why on earth would I bring a gun here in the first place? And if I was going to bring bring a gun here, do you really think your insulting request would do anything to stop me? Another walk out.

I can't imagine I am alone in this. With the current political climate is it any surprise that gun owners are keeping a lower profile about it all?

Further, has anyone noticed that these polls always seem to reflect the views of the people asking the questions?

Airhasz
06-13-14, 11:03
Why the he'll would your doctor ask if you have guns???

Heavy Metal
06-13-14, 11:56
Doc: "Do you own any firearms?"

Me: "Do you?"

WillBrink
06-13-14, 12:00
Never been sure about who they poll on any topic I have yet to ever be polled by any major polling service. I have done my best to opt out of all such lists where possible, so maybe it worked.

Heavy Metal
06-13-14, 12:10
The easiest way to establish a proxy value for false negatives would be to get a public list of CCW holders and poll them and see how many respond in the negative. There is an almost certain 1:1 correlation that they own a firearm.

If 30 percent lie then you know the values overall is 30 percent low.

Koshinn
06-13-14, 12:19
Never been sure about who they poll on any topic I have yet to ever be polled by any major polling service. I have done my best to opt out of all such lists where possible, so maybe it worked.

According to Gallup, they take an area code then randomly generate numbers and call them. They say they get about 50% disconnected numbers and 50% actual numbers. They then ask for the person in the home who's over 18 and who's birthday is closest to the current date to randomize it further, although they don't do that if they dial a cell phone of course.

The easiest way to establish a proxy value for false negatives would be to get a public list of CCW holders and poll them and see how many respond in the negative. There is an almost certain 1:1 correlation that they own a firearm.

If 30 percent lie then you know the values overall is 30 percent low.

That's what I'm attempting to do here :p

But of course this isn't a scientific poll. However, there really isn't a good way to do this, and I've thought about it a lot.

Calling someone's home phone is a no-go because how can they trust you? They're as likely to lie to you as to Gallup or any other poll taker.

Asking someone in person, to their face, if they'd blatantly lie is also a surefire way to get false answers. Even Bulletdog above didn't just say "no" to his doctors, he gave an inconclusive answer or communicated a desire to not answer. Of course, in this context, any answer but "no" is a "yes"... and of course we know that... but we as a society place a stigma on lying, especially to someone's face, even if there's no criminal penalty for doing so. Also if you ask someone face-to-face if they'd lie to another person face-to-face, and their truthful answer would be "yes", why wouldn't they also lie to you and say "no"?

Posting a poll online in which only the people truly passionate are the ones that would answer, and that skews it in favor of "no" answers in my opinion. At the current value of 87% "no" answers, if you applied that to the Gallup poll's result of like 35% of homes own a firearm, it'd mean that over 100% of homes have firearms, which immediately kills the credibility of the poll.

Heavy Metal
06-13-14, 12:20
You are not going to get a large enough sample size to do it here.

markm
06-13-14, 12:33
With the current political climate is it any surprise that gun owners are keeping a lower profile about it all?

That is certainly not the best strategy. In the wake of the school shooting, the leftist nutbags couldn't get anti gun measures passed. CCW continues to spread in the country. And even asswipe Chicago was even forced to allow gun stores to operate.

Gun control is unpopular to the majority in this country... even some democrats like their bad policy but still want the be able to own a firearm.

Whack jobs want to create the impression that gun ownership is unpopular and shameful.... and racist or terrorist.. or whatever these thug fukks can dream up.

Stand up to these punk bitches.

Koshinn
06-13-14, 12:34
You are not going to get a large enough sample size to do it here.

There are currently 4807 users online. 1011 members and 3796 guests

And it's in the middle of the work day!

I know guests won't be able to answer, but we should be able to get at least a thousand answers if people can post in GD.

That is certainly not the best strategy.

Exactly! By protecting oneself, people are hurting the cause.

It's arguable that the number of firearms owners makes no difference... if it did, how can the Dems fight for LGBT rights when they make up less than 4% of the population, or worded another way, there are at least 10 times more firearms owners who are truthful about owning firearms than there are LGBT people.

Ryno12
06-13-14, 12:43
There are currently 4807 users online. 1011 members and 3796 guests

And it's in the middle of the work day!

I know guests won't be able to answer, but we should be able to get at least a thousand answers if people can post in GD.

Many, if not most, of which are using Tapatalk. So we can't even see a poll much less vote in one.

Is this thread a poll?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koshinn
06-13-14, 12:46
Many, if not most, of which are using Tapatalk. So we can't even see a poll much less vote in one.

Is this thread a poll?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, thanks. Updated the original post. Yes, there is a poll in this thread.

Koshinn
06-13-14, 22:52
Intetesting we're getting closer to 50%. Did not expect that.

AKDoug
06-14-14, 01:25
Why the he'll would your doctor ask if you have guns??? It's a regular question on every federally mandated D.O.T. physical I have taken in the last ten years for my commercial drivers license. They ask my kids as well if I use the school system's doc for sport's physicals for them. My wife reports that they ask that question at every new doctor she's visited for quite a while.

AKDoug
06-14-14, 01:27
Back on subject. I don't answer ANY polls. I hang up on them. BTW, ask Eric Cantor how that whole polling thing worked out.

jpmuscle
06-14-14, 01:37
Polls? Negative. And certainly not to any medical professionals in any contexts. The only time Ive disclosed is during a hiring process. Stupid polygraphs...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Airhasz
06-14-14, 02:53
It's a regular question on every federally mandated D.O.T. physical I have taken in the last ten years for my commercial drivers license. They ask my kids as well if I use the school system's doc for sport's physicals for them. My wife reports that they ask that question at every new doctor she's visited for quite a while.

Ah, now I see why the topic come up.

Bulletdog
06-14-14, 10:52
Why the he'll would your doctor ask if you have guns???

Its a new trend over the last few years. Its a way for more people to keep more tabs on you. Its basically a de-facto gun registry. Now with Obamacare tying the government into all the healthcare, its a way for them to keep track of what you've got. Many doctors are very anti-gun and they would like to treat gun ownership like a "disease" and eradicate it. What's worse is they get your kids alone and ask them, "Does daddy have any guns in the house?" This is despicable and low, but it happens, so warn your family and go over this ahead of time. My whole family is instructed to answer as I do: "Not relevant. None of your business." How they respond to my answer dictates what I do next. If they apologize and inform me that its a question they are required to ask, I will tell them they shouldn't be asking and quickly move on to questions relevant to whatever I am there for. If they show any sort of indignation or press harder, we have a more serious discussion followed by my departure from their office.

SilverBullet432
06-14-14, 13:03
It's a regular question on every federally mandated D.O.T. physical I have taken in the last ten years for my commercial drivers license. They ask my kids as well if I use the school system's doc for sport's physicals for them. My wife reports that they ask that question at every new doctor she's visited for quite a while.

I recently got my CDL, no firearms questions of any type. Besides, that is none of their business.

MountainRaven
06-14-14, 14:28
If I don't recognize the phone number, I don't answer the phone. If it's important, they'll leave a message and I'll call them back. Polling places usually don't show up on the phone with numbers and they don't usually leave messages with call back numbers.

As far as when a doctor asks about whether or not I own a firearm, I'll tell them, "I own a Ruger 22," - just like everybody else in Montana.

Koshinn
06-14-14, 15:11
I'd rather flat out lie and say "no" than say "not relevant" because "not relevant" means "yes."

brushy bill
06-15-14, 17:21
I didn't come up with it, but saw it here on another thread sometime back. Respond by asking them an intimately personal question about their wife's sexual preferences. When they act surprised, respond with, "OK, so are we done with irrelevant personal questions now".

Bulletdog
06-15-14, 17:25
I didn't come up with it, but saw it here on another thread sometime back. Respond by asking them an intimately personal question about their wife's sexual preferences. When they act surprised, respond with, "OK, so are we done with irrelevant personal questions now".

I will try this out at my very next opportunity and report back. :)

Bulletdog
06-15-14, 17:32
I'd rather flat out lie and say "no" than say "not relevant" because "not relevant" means "yes."

I see your point, and I have done that before when the question comes up. I've also answered the question of whether or not I own guns with, "Do you?"

Lately though I would much prefer to make them squirm under the weight of their grossly inappropriate questions and make them uncomfortable by pointing out the fallacies of their POV and agenda. I will not answer any polls, but I do make it a point to talk about the gun issue whenever its seems relevant to me. There are as many strategies for this as there are people to discuss it with. I try to use whatever tactic will win people over, or at least expose them to a POV they might never have otherwise though of, but doctors asking these questions raise my ire, so they get some gruff back for it. How much gruff they get depends on their reaction to the first taste of gruff I give them.