PDA

View Full Version : Well, now I know, BCM over Bushmaster

John Uptain
06-13-14, 12:39
Duh, no contest. Cannot afford to get two guns, so I am slowly turning my Bushy A3 into a BCM. Next, upper. Wonderful things about these firearms, they are interchangeable.

Please, no ragging, I got enough of that on the Ar15 forum. I mentioned this forum and they banned my post. Said "we do not allow posts about forums hostile to this one." IS this the third grad or what?:p

markm
06-13-14, 12:58
Please, no ragging, I got enough of that on the Ar15 forum. I mentioned this forum and they banned my post. Said "we do not allow posts about forums hostile to this one." IS this the third grad or what?:p

That's funny. I'd slowly be building a complete BCM.... Leaving the Bushy as a beater gun/ steel case ammo shooter or whatever.

Zane1844
06-13-14, 13:02
I could never figure out how to make an account on ARFcom. I have no idea why.

Moonlight Again
06-13-14, 13:05
There's some good information over at, as the guys here like to say, "TOS" ("that other site" or "the other site") but the noise to signal ratio is a lot higher. As an example of good stuff at TOS, I quite enjoyed LtCol. Lutz's postings on the changes between the A1 and A2 iterations of the M16.

markm
06-13-14, 13:11
I'm responsible for 90% of the TOS hate.... I do admit that. The problem is they let Ad money get in the way of factual posting. Thus the whole site is discredited.

In fairness... I was asked to quit posting FACTS about a company's product here at one point.... Not even a site sponser as far as I can tell.... but the nature of the good old boys in the gun industry is what it is. I took time away form the site after that pussy shit.... but this is the best AR site that I know of... so sometimes you have to deal with it.

docsherm
06-13-14, 13:56
The thing that gets me about BARF.com is that it is all about money and not fact. I got banned when I was told to stop saying factual information about a member by a MOD.....I told him to close my account and that I was going to go to stay on M4C.......but my language was not that nice....:rolleyes:

OP- good to hear. Rebuild and enjoy it.

TehLlama
06-13-14, 13:58
Yup - there are small loci if really great information over there, but unless you're already sufficiently well versed to discard 80% of what's over there, it's really easy to mistake quantity of information and high net post count sources from actually quality information.

I would say you'll be money ahead running your bushmaster as-is, you'll take a bath just selling it, but those are great learning rifles for the sunk cost, and a lovely excuse to feed whatever cheap ammunition for range use (especially because malfunction drills are great practice - stoppages and getting good at fixing them is great for square ranges. I'm not saying you'll see necessarily tons of them, but having them on a training rifle at a range where time pressures are 100% artificial is the place to have those, be they ammunition or rifle induced).

I'd very seriously look at moving to BCM in complete Upper or complete lower sections - if you plan on running more than a magazine through them, get the cosmetic blemished units (which are absurdly good deals, and come as complete units), because making some piecewise changes you may end up still facing dumb failures despite having some newer parts - just pick up complete BCM halves as budget allows, and drive on from there.

markm
06-13-14, 14:00
I agree. I like having a beater gun or two when you want to shoot cheap ammo or just want a gun you can totally neglect maintenance-wise.

docsherm
06-13-14, 14:04
I agree. Keep it as a backup or just shoot the crap out of it and replace parts as they break. Look at just getting a good quality rifle as the primary. Take your time and read up on them.

M&P15T
06-13-14, 14:07
Or sell the Bushy and put the proceeds towards your BCM.

kenny256
06-13-14, 15:15
I have two "Nice" ARs, but I am going to buy a PSA upper for shooting steel cased ammo...

weez440
06-13-14, 16:38
if you can afford it, bcm has a great sale on blemeshed uppers right now and when you can afford it throw in a bcm bcg and chargin handle and you should be gtg, obviously i don't know your financial status but if it permits. i also was never to figure out how to sign up for TOS. it is fun to go in there and read the posts once in a while.

John Uptain
06-13-14, 16:58
I thing I am gonna save my pennies and get a BCM or LMT complete rifles. I need two of them anyway. The BCM BCG and BCM Charging handle really upgraded my Bushmaster A3 also. I must say, however, that I have fired a lot of shit though it as is
and it has never failed. I do not want not want to sell it.

Toecheese
06-13-14, 17:35
The thing that gets me about BARF.com is that it is all about money and not fact. I got banned when I was told to stop saying factual information about a member by a MOD.....I told him to close my account and that I was going to go to stay on M4C.......but my language was not that nice....:rolleyes:

OP- good to hear. Rebuild and enjoy it.

I was banned there as well (after two months) calling out "experienced" members for spewing nonsense about how unless you are running a Noveske or BCM with Aimpoint, your weapon system is crap......for some reason they just don't like being called fanboy's and accused of drinking kool aid...and from the looks of things, I am well on my way in here for being called out as the resident newbie KMR fanboy :help:

OP....agreed, just keep the Bush for plinking and start from scratch.

wahoo95
06-13-14, 17:44
One of my shooting buddies put many thousands of trouble free rounds through his Bushy before he met me. He eventually replaced his upper and BCG with BCM and has continued to out rounds downrange trouble free.

JW5219
06-13-14, 17:53
YAWN. Blah blah blah blah again. How many times a day? ?

Toddler
06-13-14, 17:58
I'm responsible for 90% of the TOS hate.... I do admit that. The problem is they let Ad money get in the way of factual posting.

You gotta love some brutal honesty.

Airhasz
06-13-14, 18:09
I've run thousands of steel cased ammo through my colt...not saving barrel for rainy day.

Leaveammoforme
06-13-14, 18:14
Still waiting on the original LAV DD video to get linked on this thread....

Moonlight Again
06-13-14, 18:15
YAWN. Blah blah blah blah again. How many times a day? ?

All day, every day! The only easy day was yesterday!

scooter22
06-13-14, 18:31
There's some good information over at, as the guys here like to say, "TOS" ("that other site" or "the other site") but the noise to signal ratio is a lot higher. As an example of good stuff at TOS, I quite enjoyed LtCol. Lutz's postings on the changes between the A1 and A2 iterations of the M16.

Are you talking about that retarded KFC analogy?

OP: As others have said, I wouldn't convert your Bushmaster into a BCM. Just piece together a complete BCM as funds permit.

Moonlight Again
06-13-14, 18:45
Are you talking about that retarded KFC analogy?

OP: As others have said, I wouldn't convert your Bushmaster into a BCM. Just piece together a complete BCM as funds permit.

Nope. That was Augee's analogy. LtCol. Lutz posts as coldblue and he's pretty much the guy who ramrodded the A2 project for the Corps.

Edited to add: Augee's analogy was comparing the TDP to KFC's original recipe and discussing fried chicken in general.

six8
06-13-14, 19:29
Are y'all suggesting that a BCM stick won't handle cheap, steel ammo?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

John Uptain
06-13-14, 19:39
Must have been BCM, they are anal over there about that company. The site is all about money and I am sure many companies post there. Imagine, banning my post for mentioning M4 carbine forum saying it was a forum hostile to ar15 forum? Anal. Who cares? That is a hostile board anyway.

John Uptain
06-13-14, 19:40
I am gonna buy the whole gun when I get a chance.

Moonlight Again
06-13-14, 19:55

Six8: I'd be surprised if a BCM wouldn't eat steel cased ammo. I think the reason people refer to a "beater gun" for eating steel is the results of LuckyGunner's test of brass v. steel cased ammo, found here (http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/).

graffex
06-13-14, 19:55

No. But I refuse to shoot that cheap dirty rusky garbage myself.

K_K
06-13-14, 19:56
if you can afford it, bcm has a great sale on blemeshed uppers right now and when you can afford it throw in a bcm bcg and chargin handle and you should be gtg, obviously i don't know your financial status but if it permits. i also was never to figure out how to sign up for TOS. it is fun to go in there and read the posts once in a while.

I second that! I just bought a BCM Blem SOCOM upper.

six8
06-13-14, 20:40
Six8: I'd be surprised if a BCM wouldn't eat steel cased ammo. I think the reason people refer to a "beater gun" for eating steel is the results of LuckyGunner's test of brass v. steel cased ammo, found here (http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/).
Great read! thanks for the link.

SeriousStudent
06-13-14, 20:59
Gents, discussing another forum honestly accomplishes very little when you think about it. I'm not swinging a bat here, just offering a gentle course correction.

OP, I'd just keep an eye on the bolt lugs, check the staking on the gas key and castle nut, and drive on. Then shoot the crap out of it until it breaks.

Or just sell it and buy a BCM or Colt. You can get some very sweet deals right now from the dealers on this site.

MegademiC
06-13-14, 23:34

Link? Sounds like good info.

Moonlight Again
06-13-14, 23:36
Link? Sounds like good info.

Click on the "here" in my post. Alternatively . . . http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

jc000
06-14-14, 06:28
OP, I'd just keep an eye on the bolt lugs, check the staking on the gas key and castle nut, and drive on. Then shoot the crap out of it until it breaks.

OP, along those lines, this (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?13532-A-day-in-the-life-of-a-BM-LE-Dealer) was a good thread on here on correcting a BM's shortcomings. You should def read through if you haven't already.

TacticalSledgehammer
06-14-14, 07:18
I would like to buy a carbon-15 dirt cheap or have one given to me for a little project I have in mind though. I think it would be a challenge to see if I could ever make it reliable.

SeriousStudent
06-14-14, 12:52
Okay, I just deleted four posts. I made a point of telling people we don't need any more cross-forum Internet drama. People who ignore directions from Mods/Staff get infractions for ignoring instructions.

That's exactly what's going to happen the next time folks ignore directions, and they are going to go away for a vacation. Read and Heed.