PDA

View Full Version : Powder!!!

rcoodyar15
06-13-14, 18:30
Help a brother out

Finally the Forster B-3 became available so monday I will have a box full of reloading materials

One important ingredient I haven't been able to locate is powder other than gunbroker or armslist and they want double what it normally cost. Might have to resort to that but I hope not.

I don't want your secret source but if you can point me in the right direction I surely would appreciate it

thanks in advance

markm
06-13-14, 20:01
Fantastic! You fail to display your location which would appear in the top right corner of any posts you make. That info might prove helpful in directing you to any number of sources while you post here on M4. :fie:

jstone
06-13-14, 20:56
The best you can do is check gunbot regularly, and when you find som3thing in stock you must jumo on it. Check your local retailers regularly as well. The good thing is rifle powders are regularly in stock. They may not last long, but they are there to be found. Pistol powders are still hard to find.

One good thing about 223/556 if your loading it like most here are. It falls in a sweet spot where there are lots of powders that work very well. Lately I have seen re 15, h322, h355, imr8208xbr, imr4064, and a few others. Out of those only the 4064 is not ideal for 223/556 its a little slow.

Like markm said if you do not have your loacation it is hard to help you with what your looking for. If you have your location someone may be able to point you to something locally.

rcoodyar15
06-15-14, 05:33
I am in Hope Mills NC. I am a construction superintendent so I am always somewhere new. Really from South Georgia. South of Tallahassee Fla on the coast is where I live between jobs.

So my location is extremely variable.

I bought 8# of CFE223 off gunbrokers. Paid about twice what it was worth. Hope that holds me over till some other powders I want to try come available.

I want to try varget but I sure do hear a lot of complaining about metering with that stuff. Is it worth the trouble?

I have a precision AR I put together from parts. 20" Shilen match barrel, geissele trigger, 24X leupold scope and all the other stuff. Looking for less than .5 in groups. Getting there with over the counter match ammo but it is spotty.

Powders I am looking for to try. of course varget, viht N140 and AA2520

developing loads is the real fun of this with the satisfaction of those cloverleaf 5 shot groups.

I plan to try many of the powders used by other forum members. It seems that people have sucess with a lot of different powders.

Aaron_B
06-15-14, 09:54
You can hit Ed's gun shop down US1 towards Sanford or you can try Shooter's Supply in Fayetteville on Hwy 87. Both those places usually have an assortment of powder.

Not sure if they will have what you are looking for exactly but you can always call them ahead of time.

rcoodyar15
06-15-14, 10:26
You can hit Ed's gun shop down US1 towards Sanford or you can try Shooter's Supply in Fayetteville on Hwy 87. Both those places usually have an assortment of powder.

Not sure if they will have what you are looking for exactly but you can always call them ahead of time.

thanks

I hit Shooters Supply pretty regularly. Its kind of the gun guys hangout. never heard of eds but i will certainly check it out. Eds is about an hour from here in a part of nc I haven't checked out yet. Looks like a nice drive.