PDA

View Full Version : OPS-416 Gas Piston Conversion??!?!

Darknightsights
06-05-08, 18:22
I’ve been kicking the idea around about doing one of these gas piston conversion for one of my personal ARs.

I was going to get the GSR-35 Black Lightning (ARES) but I found that it directs the gas down and I don’t (or want to) have standard A2 hand guards. I have a Mid length free floating Yankee hill light weight four rail, and i want to keep these. I didn’t think that having hot gas on my hand would be good for shooting.

So I’ve been looking at the OPS-416 from Osprey Defense. Its a little different design and I haven’t found how it lets the gas escape. (its says "no venting" but the gas has to go some where)

Also the $100 cheaper option on the OPS is definitely a big winner in my book.

SO MY QUESTION IS: does any body have on of these OPSs how do you like it and where does it vent the gas.

I want this conversion mainly because I’m normally a left handed shooter so my AR is left hand eject, but when I (or friends) shoot right handed I get wicked gas is my eyes, I’m hoping that this will stop that from happening. Also I want another Jee-Wiss attachment. And naturally the quote-un-quote better reliability is a plus too.

here is the ops link:
http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=423&products_id=1165&zenid=5c5fd567c370df55c9c658e01d942912

ARin
06-05-08, 20:07
there is no venting. the system limits the amout of gas to the half moon piston to about 30%. any excess gas blows past the loose fitting piston, without any dedicated vent holes.

the osprey is a poor design for a number of different reasons. the system uses the standard FSB roll pin as a bearing point, also one of the major failure points for the ARES system.

The system is also not serviceable without removing the handguards, and currently there are no railed handguards on the market that will accept the bulk of the odd shaped half moon piston. Therefor, this system can only be used with plastic m4 handguards.

take a look at the PWS system, which uses its own gasblock, fits under MOST free float 4 rails on the market, is serviceable from the from of the gas block, and has two gas adjustment settings.

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?categoryId=14&productId=44

Darknightsights
06-05-08, 20:30
thanks for that... any other opinions?

though the PWS is still with in my budget ($500) at $400 its still good, ill keep reading on that one.

the one thing i dont like is that i have to send my upper in, i dont like the hassel of all that.

and i cant use my existing hand guard becuase it covers the gas block. and they so no

Seth Harness
06-05-08, 21:57
I’ve been kicking the idea around about doing one of these gas piston conversion for one of my personal ARs.

I was going to get the GSR-35 Black Lightning (ARES) but I found that it directs the gas down and I don’t (or want to) have standard A2 hand guards. I have a Mid length free floating Yankee hill light weight four rail, and i want to keep these. I didn’t think that having hot gas on my hand would be good for shooting.

So I’ve been looking at the OPS-416 from Osprey Defense. Its a little different design and I haven’t found how it lets the gas escape. (its says "no venting" but the gas has to go some where)

Also the $100 cheaper option on the OPS is definitely a big winner in my book.

SO MY QUESTION IS: does any body have on of these OPSs how do you like it and where does it vent the gas.

I want this conversion mainly because I’m normally a left handed shooter so my AR is left hand eject, but when I (or friends) shoot right handed I get wicked gas is my eyes, I’m hoping that this will stop that from happening. Also I want another Jee-Wiss attachment. And naturally the quote-un-quote better reliability is a plus too.

here is the ops link:
http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=423&products_id=1165&zenid=5c5fd567c370df55c9c658e01d942912

I have an ares kit on my gun and I dont get "hot gas on my hand" while im shooting. I think there are a few systems that vent under the handgaurds, Im pretty sure its a non-issue. It would be a good idea for me to clean the inside of my handgaurd one of these days as the fouling has created a layer ever so lightly after hundreds of rounds. My rail is a 7" troy by the way.

Just FYI, hope it helps.

Darknightsights
06-06-08, 00:31
I have an ares kit on my gun and I dont get "hot gas on my hand" while im shooting. I think there are a few systems that vent under the handgaurds, Im pretty sure its a non-issue. It would be a good idea for me to clean the inside of my handgaurd one of these days as the fouling has created a layer ever so lightly after hundreds of rounds. My rail is a 7" troy by the way.

Just FYI, hope it helps.

the troy you have is a free floater with lots of holes in it for venting right? and you hand is fine? i guess that if it DID become a problem i could make some kind of a shield.

your are pretty happy with your system then?

ARin
06-06-08, 02:44
most of these systems vent hot gasses directly AT the top of the barrel, dispersing them....its not like you are going to catch a hot jet of gas coming through the FF tube.

i have had zero problems with the PWS regarding hot gasses....i cant even tell the difference.

http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1953/19536224746230c23fc44d2d42a0fedb1a4ca5e.jpg

http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1770/177099962334c56880d354c53a2dddf7665a195.jpg

Seth Harness
06-06-08, 18:15
the troy you have is a free floater with lots of holes in it for venting right? and you hand is fine? i guess that if it DID become a problem i could make some kind of a shield.

your are pretty happy with your system then?

Yeah Im happy with it. I dont shoot as much as alot of these other guys do but I still like it. I have to believe that you will never know the gases are venting under the handgaurd/rail.

Darknightsights
06-06-08, 21:42
gravy!! thanks for the responces

blueskip
07-26-08, 07:25
I very much appreciat the commentary. I've been looking to convert mine as well. I actually looked at the PWS system and have a question.

Is there any way to keep the front sights using the PWS? I can always use some brand of pop up or other sights later if I want I suppose. That's not a real big issue.

I don't like the hassle of sending it in either but it's only $100 more than the Osprey and that's not too bad considering they are installing it for you. If you don't have the tools to do the install, that's a neat feature. If you do I guess it's annoying to have to send it to them. I have the tools and no time usually to use them. :(

I had considered the Osprey but you guys have enlightened me on that decision. Now it's not so clear cut.

Thanks.

ARin
07-26-08, 21:49
PWS came down and trained us how to install the system CORRECTLY, and gave HDI their custom made jig to square the gas block with the rail on the upper, so that when you DO install a front sight, it will zero correctly.

give Hendersondefense a call. they have the PWS on special.

389.99 with free return shipping.

i dont work for HDI, but i came down to meet the PWS guys and i am a good friend of the owner. good people..

oh, and suppressed......man, that is where the piston SHINES. even LEFT HANDED!!!

http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/2249/2249166641e0315b6bf2dc09fcb6b94d114ccc7.jpg