PDA

View Full Version : Expired CAT/ E bandage?

Jonah2014
06-14-14, 10:45
:help:

So I am going through my camping/hiking bag bag today. Checking my gear for upcoming trip, making sure all is well. I get to my first aid pouch and everything is GTG except two items....

My CAT tourniquet and "The Emergency Bandage" both have expired JAN 2014...

My questions,
1. Does the CAT really expire? Or is it still GTG for many more years? and what on it would expire?

2. The Emergency Bandage, I know the expiration is most likely the sterility, (but if package is un-opened does sterility go bad?) but other then that would the bandage still be useful in controlling blood loss?

And yes out camping/hiking a bad fall, knife/hatchet mishap could warrant the needs for these two items.

Just wanna add.... I am certified in Healthcare provider CPR/First aid, not too mention my military training in these items.

Thanks!

ST911
06-14-14, 11:32
Best practice: stock and use products that are are sterile, in original intact packaging, stored according to manufacturer guidelines, inspected regularly, and are within expiration/guarantee dates.

Practical: check for clean, intact packaging, and review storage/carry conditions to determine service life. If it contains some sort of pharm or degradable components (gels/fluids, adhesives, fragility), consider that as well.

Jonah2014
06-14-14, 14:01
Thanks

I check my hiking stuff usually in the beginning of summer, i will start inspecting more often. Stuff is still in original packages, the bag is kept in my closet in my room, average 70 degrees year round. Except for when I take it out on trips.

LMT Shooter
06-15-14, 02:34
The date on a CAT is an expiration date? I thought it was a date of manufacture. The ones I ordered direct fro NA Rescue came with the month prior to my order stamped on them.

3 AE
06-20-14, 18:07
Concerning CAT,
Item 2. on the first page refers to date of manufacture.
Item 7. on the last page describes storage requirements.

http://www.naemt.org/Libraries/PHTLS%20TCCC/MARCORSYSCOM%20TQ%20Message%20100122.sflb

Voodoo_Man
06-20-14, 18:15
As long as its stored in a dry place and is not exposed to opposite ends of the temp scale/direct sunlight and the package is unopened/seal not broken it is good to go.

The manufacturers have to put an expiration date on them.

chuckman
06-20-14, 18:17
Best practice: stock and use products that are are sterile, in original intact packaging, stored according to manufacturer guidelines, inspected regularly, and are within expiration/guarantee dates.

Practical: check for clean, intact packaging, and review storage/carry conditions to determine service life. If it contains some sort of pharm or degradable components (gels/fluids, adhesives, fragility), consider that as well.

This. When I teach or build kits for people (which I rarely do any more), I give a card that is a checklist for expired items. Fore most people, the first aid stuff is not going to matter if it is expired.

CoryCop25
06-20-14, 18:20
Basically, heat and UV exposure to the CAT may cause the plastic to become weak and obviously rendering the CAT ineffective if any of the plastic breaks.
I keep my CAT attached to my vest under my shirt so it essentially never sees the elements. If you wear a CAT on your outer garments exposed to the elements, I would replace it close to the exp. date.

CoryCop25
06-20-14, 18:21
double tap

3 AE
06-23-14, 18:53
E-mail reply from NA Rescue,

Thank you for contacting us.

The date printed on the C-A-Tourniquet is the date of manufacturer. There technically is no expiry date on the CAT though it is built for 10-years with proper storage but a pre-mission inspection should be performed to make sure it is good to go.

Storage is recommended inside of a kit, pouch or tourniquet holder, not rubber banded to the exterior uniform.

If you have any further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Teresa Ulmer
Manager, Customer Services
North American Rescue
35 Tedwall Ct.
Greer, SC 29650
www.narescue.com
Tel# 864-675-9800 ext. 207
Direct # 864-968-4086
Fax# 864-675-9880

Jesse H
07-12-14, 09:26
I'm sure most of us store one tourniquet somewhere that's out and exposed for fast deployment. Even then, my kit sometimes sit in a hot Texas car for periods of time so that's something we should take into consideration.

JAustin316
09-23-14, 21:57
Sunlight BAD... I keep mine in holders where they are protected from the sun and inspect them every 3 months or whenever I'm changing things out. I have yet to find one that I would not use on myself besides the one that was in the big bag and some hydrogen peroxide leaked on and discolored. They're cheap enough so I threw it away and replaced with another.

jbjh
09-23-14, 23:18
Everything to be used in a medical setting must have an expiration date per government regulations. I've seen exp-by dates on tongue depressors.

tsalagi88
08-14-17, 18:00
So apologies if this is off topic or not in keeping with the intent of this thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on the granulated Quikclot? I have a couple of packages that I'm hesitant to throw away. Is there anyone that still uses them or do they have some utility for my kit that I'm not aware of?

tacticaldesire
08-16-17, 17:58
So apologies if this is off topic or not in keeping with the intent of this thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on the granulated Quikclot? I have a couple of packages that I'm hesitant to throw away. Is there anyone that still uses them or do they have some utility for my kit that I'm not aware of?

If it's the old granulated quickclot from around 10 years ago, do not use it. Throw it away. That product is known for burning patients and has not be made available for a long time. Nobody uses them anymore nor is it recommended. For a good hemostatic look at Quick Clot Gauze, Celox or Hemcon/Chitogauze.

tsalagi88
08-16-17, 18:02
If it's the old granulated quickclot from around 10 years ago, do not use it. Throw it away. That product is known for burning patients and has not be made available for a long time. Nobody uses them anymore nor is it recommended. For a good hemostatic look at Quick Clot Gauze, Celox or Hemcon/Chitogauze.Noted. Yea, It's the old stuff. I was afraid it was no bueno but i wanted to make sure before I pitched it. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ride57
02-07-19, 17:55
Everything to be used in a medical setting must have an expiration date per government regulations. I've seen exp-by dates on tongue depressors.

Not necessarily, I have seen syringes and non sterile gloves with a exp date and syringes/gloves without a exp date. It does have to say it is sterile and the blurb about unbroken/undamaged packaging. It is the joyous time where I have been checking outdates.

(previous vol FF/EMT-B, EMT-B, Surgical Tech, ER tech, now in a clinic)

TheTick
02-15-19, 18:19
It's worth noting that the Gen 7 CATs have an updated buckle that no longer needs to be looped back through for leg application.

Probably a good reason to update anyway...

ginzomatic
02-21-19, 13:37
I'd get a new tourniquet if I were you. With respect to the previous posters who said to keep things in original packaging, this is not the best practice. Attempting to remove plastic wrap with your hands covered in blood is not easy (not from personal experience, but in training- hands covered in liquid to simulate)

Recommend removing your TQ from the packaging and setting up the best way you can so that you can deploy it single handedly and not have to remove from packaging. And get a new one when it expires. The new ZRDelta Halo I was able to check out at SHOT (when commercially available) will be a great option.

jbcap
10-27-19, 17:03
Government requires an expiration date, like FF gear, recommend 10 year replacement, if it has never been used, its all about the attorneys and covering your ass... I have personally used expired CATS with success on traumatic injuries to a motorcyclist, he lost limbs but lived because we were able to stop the blood lose(used 3 on him-1 on each leg and 1 to an arm).. I carry several in my POV and my FD has since issued CATS to all our active FF since the last motorcycle accident where we saved the female operator's life by applying one to her severely injured leg.. we have two saves in our FD as a result of applying personally owned CATS..

ericridebike
10-27-19, 17:46
I agree that if stored out of extreme elements, it should likely be fine.