PDA

View Full Version : "Tactical"/EDC AA Handheld Lights- What To Get?

Jellybean
06-14-14, 12:50
Looking into some standard AA battery powered handheld lights.
Intended use is everything from "tactical" on my "battle rattle" (lol), to EDC, to "around the house/work" everyday use.

Looking for something that runs either 1 or 2 AAs- so if brand A makes a great single AA light, and brand B makes a great 2x AA light, feel free to list them both.

"Tactical" uses dictates it needs to be able to fit in a flapped pistol pouch.
EDC, means it needs to have a GOOD pocket clip that won't bend after minor use.
Needs to be able to get clobbered and still work- I've been through a couple walmart specials, and they generally suck.
Super-high lumen count is not imperative, but it needs to have a base of over 100 lumens (so, 110-180 or somewhere in between). However, higher lumen count is ok as long as...
Needs to have a reasonable runtime on a reasonable lumen output-frankly runtime is a little more imperative than huge lumens.
Needs to have a CLICK on/off switch- to hell with the stupid twist heads and momentary switches....:rolleyes:
A somewhat shielded tailcap switch would be nice too.
Needs to have a "low" mode.
Around the $50-60 range in price.

I was really liking the 4-sevens Quark 2AA Pro- does everything I want, plus is modular so I can use the fullsize 2AA model for "tactical" and then turn it into a 1AA model for EDC, has high and low modes, etc...
The problem is, there's SO many modes, and I hate having to cycle to find what I want or wonder which mode I last had it on that the flashlights memory will remember and auto-on when I press the switch...
I really only need four modes for a light- High, Low, On, Off.

So what have you guys found to work well within these parameters?

CommO
06-14-14, 13:59
I have to strongly recommend that you look at Streamlight's ProTac line of lights. I prefer to carry Surefire, but if I need to carry something in 2AA, 1AA, or 2AAA, I think Streamlight ProTac lights meet all of your stated requirements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TomF
06-14-14, 14:15
You don't have to cycle the Quark. Review the interface.

There are many modes available, but you can only use two at a time. They are dictated by the bezel being tight or loose. On/off only from the rear tailcap, no modes to get lost in there. You program what you want for "head tight" and "head loose" and the light remembers those.

I came into the thread to recommend Quark, reading your list only confirms it. It meets everything you need. I have carried a 2x AA for a while and been very happy with it. I keep the head tight for high mode, and with a quick twist go to a 25-50 lumen low. Mundane tasks get low to conserve batteries, but high is always available.

I use mine for daily EDC and EMS work and it has performed perfectly. These are really good lights. Mine has been dropped in swamps, covered in blood, dropped on concrete, disinfected in bleach and a host of other abuse.

A set of Eneloop AA's and charger make it even better. I am completely happy with mine. I am the type that researches shit way more than I probably should. Seriously, Quark owns the AA EDC market for our purposes, IMO.

Fenix makes a quality light as well, but their switching sucks for my needs. You need to turn the light on in order to adjust modes. When I draw it from my pocket, I want to be able to dictate the mode before I turn it on. If I need low, blasting high first makes no sense. Then, you'd have to cycle back through all of them for the Fenix to
"remember" the high mode to put back in your pocket.

For a frame of reference, I have many Surefire lights and trust their durability 100%, the problem is so far they have ignored the slim EDC market for my needs.

Trifecta
06-14-14, 15:22
I know the brand isn't as mainstream as others, but my Coast G19 uses AA's, very durable and pretty bright (60 Lumens?) with a good pocket clip and is very light. I would recommend it without a second thought. Very cheap to boot! It isn't a surefire by any means but it definitely gets the job done.

Voodoo_Man
06-14-14, 16:39
I did a review on some Streamlight flashlights, including the protac 2AA and the HL.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/12/streamlight-microstream-protac-1aa-and.html

I would recommend the Protac 2AA (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GXF9NQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003GXF9NQ&linkCode=as2&tag=reviews01f3-20). I carry one everyday still, and it works really well.

Gadsden11
06-14-14, 21:53
I have to strongly recommend that you look at Streamlight's ProTac line of lights. I prefer to carry Surefire, but if I need to carry something in 2AA, 1AA, or 2AAA, I think Streamlight ProTac lights meet all of your stated requirements.

I'll second these! I have been using a pro tac 2l at work daily for over a year and love it. The only gripe I have was with the nylon holster it came with. I made one out of kydex and it works well.

Vic303
06-15-14, 08:23
http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-mh1a-smo.html

Nitecore MH1A, runs on a single AA or rcr14500 lithium. Can recharge via the micro USB port. Very bright and durable too. DH loves his and uses it (outside telco tech) daily in his work.

bjxds
06-15-14, 18:42
I bought my wife a Quark, but went with the cr123 and now I like it SO much I think I will get one also. I wanted something that offered dual modes without the requirement of clicking through and needing to remember what the default mode was saved at. The clip is been durable so far and it is small and light.

I like to set it to low/medium mode and use it for most tasks, bright enough, but not to bright. And super bright, if I really need to throw some light at something. Switching between the 2 modes only requires a twist of the bezel.

I looked at the SL ProTac, I believe the deciding factor was being able to set 2 modes and only needing to twist the bezel to switch between the 2.

birdkiller
06-15-14, 18:45
I've been carrying a stream light protac 1AA for over a year. I think either the 1 or 2AA protac models will fit your needs perfectly. They're great lights, and excellent warranty as well.

ra2bach
07-09-14, 11:22
123 batts for all tactical apps but for EDC, a single AA light has a nice form factor and I can just drop into a stop-and-rob for replacement batts. some of the newer ones can push 100 lumens pretty easy.

for outdoors (camping, etc.), I want a 2 x AAA light so it's lighter and has common batts with my headlamp. something with some power and more of a spot beam for reaching out past my headlamp.Streamlight ProTac is well though of but a little weak at 80 lumens.

I found the 4 SEVENS Preon2 -- http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=3184

192 lumens from 2- AAA. it's probably durable enough but looks like it belongs more in the breast pocket of a lab coat than outdoors.

any others?..

dth4lf
07-09-14, 18:13

I did a review on some Streamlight flashlights, including the protac 2AA and the HL.
I carry one everyday still, and it works really well.

I'll second these! I have been using a pro tac 2l at work daily for over a year and love it. The only gripe I have was with the nylon holster it came with. I made one out of kydex and it works well.

I've been carrying a stream light protac 1AA for over a year. I think either the 1 or 2AA protac models will fit your needs perfectly. They're great lights, and excellent warranty as well.

Another vote for the Streamlight Protac 2AA. I picked one up a while ago and use it at work as well as for EDC. Great light for the price, easy to carry, nice and bright.

ra2bach
07-10-14, 12:12
seen this? Peak LED Solutions Eiger, constantly variable lumen up to 200 from a single AAA -- http://peakledsolutions.net/index.html

have AA and 123 options also...

tb-av
07-10-14, 14:20
I have a 1xcr123 Nitecore and it's a nice light but I'm not crazy about the switch. Too much to remember and what intensity will it come on.

Grizzly16
07-10-14, 14:46
I'll whatever X bump for the protac line. MY only complaint is the clip seems to pop off easily. Put some liquid nail to glue the clip to the flashlight body and I've been in love ever since.

bruin
07-10-14, 18:21
This one's easy... Zebralight SC52. Side clicky, 300 lumens for .9 hours from an AA Eneloop, $64 shipped. Plenty of lower lumen modes to choose from, flood lens options, warmer color temps and headlight models, too. I think these are the most efficient single AA lights on the market today.

tb-av
07-10-14, 19:02
Does "side clicky" classify as "tactical" .. .that's why I say stay away from niteforce because it's rear clicky but you can't be sure what you will get. So it doesn't fall into the 'tactical' set. I thought all tactical lights needed to be rear click with a reliable repeatable specific illumination intensity and pattern.

Tequila45
07-11-14, 13:53

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/12/streamlight-microstream-protac-1aa-and.html

I would recommend the Protac 2AA (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GXF9NQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003GXF9NQ&linkCode=as2&tag=reviews01f3-20). I carry one everyday still, and it works really well.

Yeah, this. ^^^

Might be a little tall for a single pistol pouch but clip is removable and low pro.

Fly8791
07-17-14, 17:54
Another vote for the Streamlight ProTac series.

I have the 2AA and 1AA handheld lights and they have been great.

I'm a firefighter/emt and have use the 1AA as my on-duty handheld light for patient care at night. The strobe is also good for when I'm standing on the side of a highway at night working a wreck.

But get this... I have clipped the 1AA to my bunker coat pocket and taken it into fires. It has survived a 427 degree (verified with our TIC)enviroment for about 20 minutes and still works like new. My Streamlight "Survivor" has faced the same treatment, only far more often.

A62Rambler
07-21-14, 22:09
I've been using Fenix lights for a couple years now. The LD12 is single AA with a 110 lumen output and the LD22 is two AA with an ouput of 180+? I don't know the exact lumen count. Mine have been used hard and are still going. I have used them in corrections work and for EDC. I have the older models LD10 and LD20. I'm tough on my gear and these have held up to my abuse. I use AA rechargeables in the two AA LD20 model. The single AA model is still on the lithium AA I put in it originally. I admit I use the two AA model the most. Plus the company listens to customer input to update existing products and for future products.

Snipe315
07-29-14, 00:04
I've been EDC'ing a Quark for a couple of years now and really like it. I've also carried Surefire E1X and E2X series, Fenix, along with a Nitecore D10.

I only really like Tail switches & also require a EDC light to have a "instant On Full" mode. With the Quark & Fenix, this is simple to do by just having the head tightened.

backcast88
07-29-14, 22:59
I've been using Fenix lights for a couple years now. The LD12 is single AA with a 110 lumen output and the LD22 is two AA with an ouput of 180+? I don't know the exact lumen count. Mine have been used hard and are still going. I have used them in corrections work and for EDC. I have the older models LD10 and LD20. I'm tough on my gear and these have held up to my abuse. I use AA rechargeables in the two AA LD20 model. The single AA model is still on the lithium AA I put in it originally. I admit I use the two AA model the most. Plus the company listens to customer input to update existing products and for future products.

x2 on the LD12. Mine has held up great and its plenty bright. I keep mine in my truck and use it multiple times a day and its had the same set of batteries in it since January or February.

Jellybean
08-03-14, 14:53
Yeah, the Fenix LD's were on the short list, but then I started reading about some issues with them over on CP forum, so....

Was also really liking the Quarks, but apparently the threading isn't the greatest and wears out quicker than average.

Back to the drawing board.:rolleyes:
Protac's are nice, but.... kind of want something with a little wider range of modes.

Sunwayman and Nitecore are actually looking pretty good right now....

Edit- So after another day of research, apparently the Sunway's don't like to be dropped, and the NC's selector ends the "low" mode at the full power strobe option. WTF? That's not tactical! :laugh:
Gear merry-go-rounds are fun!

charliefox
08-05-14, 16:40
I carry a Pelican 2360. Very bright, super tough and not too expensive when you drop it in a lake while holding it in your mouth untying some buoys after a race...or so I've heard:rolleyes:

wwdkd
08-13-14, 12:14
I've been a huge 4sevens fans for years. I carry a 123^2 turbo everyday but I have a AAx2 that I have in my bug out bag due to the ease of finding batteries if I need them. All are great lights.

BTL BRN
08-13-14, 13:34
I've been very happy with my Surefire Fury with momentary ONLY tailcap, 500 lumen model; I haven't yet seen the brighter than the sun 1000 in the flesh yet.

09fatbob
09-02-14, 06:19
Maglite xl 50 I've dropped it on concrete bout 10ft threw it (by accident), this thing just works

Zim
09-02-14, 10:08
I just want to mention that the ProTac line now comes with a much improved pocket clip. The old version had short, stubby arms that barely wrapped around and a straight edge that didn't seat well against the end cap. The new version's arms are much longer, and it has a notch that seats well against the end cap. The clip was my only real complaint with the line, and now it's been almost completely fixed.

Rinspeed
09-20-14, 08:58
This one's easy... Zebralight SC52. Side clicky, 300 lumens for .9 hours from an AA Eneloop, $64 shipped. Plenty of lower lumen modes to choose from, flood lens options, warmer color temps and headlight models, too. I think these are the most efficient single AA lights on the market today.

The SC52 blows away damn near all the other AA lights you can buy. I've carried one every day for close to three years and they are the real deal.

Outlander Systems
09-23-14, 19:44
In that price range, the Fenix lights have worked for out very well for me.

The E21 was intended to be a cheap, beater light, and has well exceeded my expectations. I expected a cheap light to not give a crap about, and has never given me a single issue. It's been a solid performer, especially considering the price.

It's been dropped, submerged, thrown, and generally neglected, and is still working.

trinydex
10-24-14, 14:55
i was just reminded the other day that this exist

http://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/Lights/Cortex-Compact_31-002308

it debuted at shot show and i forgot about it, but looks like it's for sale now.

trinydex
10-24-14, 14:57
Yeah, the Fenix LD's were on the short list, but then I started reading about some issues with them over on CP forum, so....

what were the issues?

to be honest if you're willing to go to a single cell 123, i haven't been able to find anything better than a fenix pd22. i've tried. it's simple to use, tail cap clicky (because twists are terrible), has the "menu" button that scrolls through all the lighting options, but doesn't require you to tap in some combination on the tail cap clicky, and it's cheap.

Rinspeed
10-24-14, 17:42
what were the issues?

to be honest if you're willing to go to a single cell 123, i haven't been able to find anything better than a fenix pd22. i've tried. it's simple to use, tail cap clicky (because twists are terrible), has the "menu" button that scrolls through all the lighting options, but doesn't require you to tap in some combination on the tail cap clicky, and it's cheap.

I own both and the Zebralight is a much better light than the Fenix, also uses an AA that are much cheaper and can be found in any store. I use Eneloops or GP Recykos, either are THE AA battery to use. Just my opinion on both of course.

kerplode
10-24-14, 17:53
In that price range, the Fenix lights have worked for out very well for me.

The E21 was intended to be a cheap, beater light, and has well exceeded my expectations. I expected a cheap light to not give a crap about, and has never given me a single issue. It's been a solid performer, especially considering the price.

It's been dropped, submerged, thrown, and generally neglected, and is still working.

This has been my experience with my Fenix light as well. I have an old L1D that I've been EDCing for several years. It's been beat to shit and still works 100%. Not a single issue ever.

kittyhawk
11-23-14, 08:16
I am carrying an older Feinx E11, it's been in my pocket for about five years now and love the little thing. It's bright, 110 lumns and tough as hell.

jpmuscle
11-23-14, 08:28
Ok I realize the following is not an AA light, but it does most everything I need it to in a edc role and all for 20$. Stream light stylus pro.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66118-Stylus-Flashlight-Holster/dp/B0015UC17E

Jellybean
12-24-14, 20:45
I am carrying an older Feinx E11, it's been in my pocket for about five years now and love the little thing. It's bright, 110 lumns and tough as hell.

I went on a little bit of a flashlight buying binge over black friday...

I just got an E12. I am very impressed. For such a little light that thing has quite an output.
The tailcap tap-switch for modes is ok- not perfect, but ok. Wish it had a pocket clip.

I also got a LD41 as a gift for another person- now THAT is a hell of a light, for an AA powered light. And the mode switching on a separate button *with* memory is great. So simple to use. Unfortunately way to big for use on your tactical kit...

The Fenix E25 is better, but..... while a great thrower (50 yard visibility in light rain/fog EASILY), it is like running a stage light- you get a great beam, but no peripheral spill. Also the side button, while pretty simple, is gay. Testing out the various lights I picked up, I ALWAYS find myself trying to press a tailcap on the thing that isn't there- especially if drawing from a pouch, you can't get it on immediately. And I don't know how to explain it, but it holds weird in your hand if you try to keep your finger on the button. Probably a great around the house "bump in the yard" light if you live out in the country though; however.... the LD41 pretty much kills it for that use, except for battery capacity.

I also got a Nitecore SRT3. It's darn near perfect for what I'm looking for. Pocket clip is actually done right, love the dual battery option, love the control ring.
The red/blue blinky lights are gay as hell, but otherwise it's perfect, and the red LED mode is actually pretty good- saves me the bother of having to buy an extra slip-over filter. It actually has a pretty good beam- you can get 50 yard visibility with the AA (more like a 40 yard light- but you *can* ID a person/dog/cat out to 50 or so), but it also has a great spill- lights up darn near the whole yard like a spotlight. I think that's pretty great- most lights I've had are either great spotters like the E25, or so "spilly" that it has literally no range. On CR123 mode, it's a 50 yard light easily AND makes a backyard look like day. It's really great.
Except..... It a little expensive, and I have not heard totally positive things about Nitecore's longevity- in fact they seem to have quite the rep for crapping out due to poor internal electronics. For a $70-80 buck light, damn thing had better be bombproof.
So not sure what I'm going to do with it, unfortunately. Kind of bummed on the durability. :rolleyes:

Anybody have any input on their experiences with Nitecore in general or the SRT3?

nimdabew
12-24-14, 23:17
I just ordered one of these. I want one for flying for the SOS, ultra high/low and memory settings. It is also compact. It may replace my E2D 125 Lumen flashlight as my EDC.

http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-pd22ue-led-flashlight.aspx

Canonshooter
12-31-14, 16:30
http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/qta-9.jpg
My EDC "hot rod" Quark QTA (http://www.foursevens.com/products/QTA-AE) shown next to my SF Peacekeeper.

I'm running the 780-lumen QT2L-X Burst Mode head (http://www.foursevens.com/products/UQA8) with an AW 14500 IMR (http://www.lighthound.com/AW-IMR-14500-LiMN-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_3644.html) high current rechargeable battery, Quark deep carry pocket clip and DIY finger lanyard. The amount of light this set up produces is beyond belief considering it's small size. Here is a chart that shows the output vs. runtime of this setup;

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/ti-force/QT2L-XAWIMR14500Max.png

With the 780-lumen burst mode programmed for the head tightened to the body, I have the medium setting programmed for when the head is loosened. Medium mode on the QT2L-X head is 55 lumens, which in combination with the very wide beam pattern is really a very usable amount of light. In fact, I find this setting perfect for about 95% of my use of the light. On the single IMR 14500 cell, there is nearly four hours of continuous run time on the medium setting.

You can also power a stock QTA with a TI 14505 3.0 volt lithium battery (http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-cr14505-craa--3v.html) and get 246 lumens out of it (for those who aren't interested in recharging batteries). Standard AA battery produces 130 lumens.

I also own a Streamlight ProTac 1AA which is an excellent light. Though it can't hold a candle to the QTA in terms of output, I have more confidence in hammering away at something with it.

dlquinn71
12-31-14, 17:51

This☝☝

lunchbox
12-31-14, 19:54
I just want to mention that the ProTac line now comes with a much improved pocket clip. The old version had short, stubby arms that barely wrapped around and a straight edge that didn't seat well against the end cap. The new version's arms are much longer, and it has a notch that seats well against the end cap. The clip was my only real complaint with the line, and now it's been almost completely fixed.I found that if you slap a Ranger band on clip it really keeps in place.
ETA: Canonshooter, I'm defiantly going to give finger lanyard a try on Protac 1L.

Canonshooter
01-01-15, 07:51
ETA: Canonshooter, I'm defiantly going to give finger lanyard a try on Protac 1L.

The finger lanyard works very well, but be sure to use a break-away connector so an adversary can't tourniquet-your-finger-off if they were to gain control of the light;

http://www.lighthound.com/Lanyard-Break-Away-Connector_p_737.html

CatSnipah
01-01-15, 08:40
Streamlight ProTac 2L.

Canonshooter
01-01-15, 10:13
A quick tip for those using the ProTac 1AA - it uses the same head circuitry as the 2-AA version and can handle up to 3.4 volts. Place the TI 14505 3.0 volt lithium battery (http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-cr14505-craa--3v.html) in the 1AA and get about 150 lumens on high with no ill-affect on the light.

Unfortunately, a 14500 Li-ion rechargeable is a no-go because it comes off the charger at 4.2 volts, beyond what the ProTac 1AA can handle.

For those using any of the current Streamlight 2-CR132a lights, this rechargeable is reported to work just fine - http://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/16650-keeppower-2500mah-sanyo-ur16650zta-protected-button-top.html