PDA

View Full Version : New S&w SD9VE malfunctioning

samuraiadam17
06-14-14, 21:55
I got a new sd9ve from academy on sale for $289 for the wife.
Took it to the range for the first time shooting Winchester white box 115 fmj and had malfunction after malfunction. All ftf no fte. The slide fails too lock back after last shot 80% of the time as well. Also the empty shells hit me in the forehead, face and eyes 100% of the time.
And on top of that it seems to shoot low 5 inches low at 25 yards.

At this time I have shot about 200 rounds, I really want to like this gun:blink:

brushy bill
06-14-14, 22:00
I got a new sd9ve from academy on sale for $289 for the wife.
Took it to the range for the first time shooting Winchester white box 115 fmj and had malfunction after malfunction. All ftf no fte. The slide fails too lock back after last shot 80% of the time as well. Also the empty shells hit me in the forehead, face and eyes 100% of the time.
And on top of that it seems to shoot low 5 inches low at 25 yards.

At this time I have shot about 200 rounds, I really want to like this gun:blink:

I'd try something other than the WWB and if that didn't work, contact S&W.

ST911
06-15-14, 08:19
OP- What's your level of pistol shooting experience and training? With other guns?

Your combination of issues suggests a grip problem, exacerbated by a combination of inherently marginal gun and ammo.

SurplusShooter
06-15-14, 09:36
Took it to the range for the first time ....The slide fails too lock back after last shot 80% of the time the gun is new and will be a little stiff until it is "broken in" a bit. Try a higher power ammo for the first 300 rounds.

. Also the empty shells hit me in the forehead, face and eyes 100% of the time. this makes me wonder If it's an Extractor / Ejector problem.

Sikiguya
06-15-14, 21:39
Try to have a few others shoot it. That will eliminate the human factor. Try different ammo. Remington, Federal, Herter, etc. Did you clean and lube before going to the range". Factory grease sometimes are great for storage but lousy at the range.

SteveS
06-23-14, 10:59
Call S@W, They will take care of it.

Scrubber3
06-23-14, 21:46
OP- What's your level of pistol shooting experience and training? With other guns?

Your combination of issues suggests a grip problem, exacerbated by a combination of inherently marginal gun and ammo.

I've gotta agree here... There could also be an issue with the pistol, but knowing how experienced the shooter is will go far in helping determine what the issue is. I had a friend recently who touted how good of a shooter he was and when I handed him a Glock 19 it wouldn't cycle.. He said there was something wrong with it. Found out he was riding the slide with his thumb... Even after I told him what was going on, he kept doing it and the pistol kept short stroking... I told him he needed a revolver. :)