PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 co witness and sights question

Ricky50
06-14-14, 22:02
I have a question for all of you that probably know this and I maybe don't understand it clearly. I currently own an Aimpoint Pro and only have the mount it came with. I will be purchasing a BCM upper with the KMR hand guard. I do not have any sights for it other than the AimPoint I plan to mount on it, I want to have a lower 1/3 co witness and I am not sure if all mechanical sights have the same heights or will I have to buy a spacer to raise the Aimpoint over the flip up or permanent sights I choose? I had this same setup mounted on a Bushmaster with Magpul rear flip up and permanent Fsb and I did get the lower 1/3 co witness

My next question is if should buy flip up sights or fixed front and back or mixed flip up and permanent sights? What brands are good and what sights would be snag free and durable, I don't mind spending money on quality on my toys.

If anyone did not understand first question let me know.

Thanks

SpankMonkey
06-14-14, 22:13
Post a picture of what you have. It will help us.

Ricky50
06-14-14, 22:24
I don't happen to have one right now but I can tell you that the rifle is a Bushmaster with removable carry handle and it is all factory, I am waiting for Bcm to have the upper in stock.

GotAmmo
06-14-14, 22:27
I have a PRO on one of my uppers with an FSB. The stock mount for the PRO will give you Absolute Co-witness, so I went with the ADM mount to get lower 1/3. The ADM is smaller so you can shave some ounces off the total weight and it works like a champ. My BUIS is a BCM labeled Troy rear sight. Personally I love the set-up and everything is zeroed and hits on point.

My T1 with another ADM mount on my other BCM upper is absolute but I have the new gen of magpul buis. Zeroed my BUIS and then zeroed the T1 to the iron Sights. Again, everything hits on target

Ryno12
06-14-14, 22:52
The Pro's OEM mount sucks IMO but it does have a spacer that will get you close to but not exactly, lower 1/3. You can remove it for absolute.
As for fixed vs folding sights, that's personal preference. I prefer folding irons on all my ARs, however, the one that has the Pro on it is also my HD gun so that has fixed irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky50
06-15-14, 10:26
I find it odd how I managed to get cowitness the first around when I mounted it on the Bushmaster using the mount from factory, I am not in a rush as the upper is not available yet. I learned from my mistakes and will do my research before I jump into anything, I will however not compromise to save money as this rifle will also be something for a rainy day if you know what I mean. the charging handle and bolt will be Bcm and I am pretty sure the flash suppressor will be Bcm as well.

If anyone has any further input on my future setup feel free to comment on your experiences as I don't claim to know it all.