PDA

View Full Version : Clean powder for .223

nate89
06-15-14, 16:55
Me and 3 other guys did a night shoot yesterday, and I found that, for me, a powder that produces a lot of smoke is almost worse than muzzle flash. I was shooting a BCM 16" middy with reloads, a mix of ammo loaded with both benchmark and H335. Taking fast follow-up shots was difficult due to the smoke obscuring the target. I have never had an issue with reliability with this ammo, but I would like to look for a new powder that will burn 'cleaner.' I realize that when many people refer to clean burning powder, they are referring to the lack of residue left in the gun, and I really don't care about that. I am looking for powder that will not produce as much smoke. Does anyone have any experience with this, if so what powder do you recommend? I have been using cheap 55 grain FMJ-BT as practice ammo. Does using a 62-75 grain projectile help with this problem at all? Thanks in advance.

TomD
06-15-14, 17:24
LOL! You just found out that smokeless powder really isn't! Haven't tried it at night but CFE 223 might do what you need.

markm
06-16-14, 09:00
Were you shooting in low light with a weapon light? That's the only time I've had issues.

Is your current load on the mild or hot side? Sometimes a load that's too mild will actually cause poor powder charge burns.

SlimMan
06-16-14, 11:03
I've not had an issue with smoke (only using W748 and ARComp so far). What I have found is that high humidity/light rain or mist (not too uncommon in FL) sometimes will cause what appears to be smoke as the bullet and gasses leave the barrel, but is just the impact on water vapor in the air. Just a thought, may not be your issue.

nate89
06-16-14, 17:27
Were you shooting in low light with a weapon light? That's the only time I've had issues.

Is your current load on the mild or hot side? Sometimes a load that's too mild will actually cause poor powder charge burns.

Correct, I was shooting at night with an X300U. It's a pretty mid-range load for both powders, 24.5 gr. of H335. and 25 gr. of Benchmark. When I was working up a load, I was more concerned with function. I think i'll re-test some hotter loads at night and see how, or if, the smoke changes.

markm
06-16-14, 18:05
There's just no getting around this at night. Handguns are the same. And THIS is why I don't shoot a light mounted to my pistol.

Colt guy
06-17-14, 09:24
I would suggest you try a faster burning powder like H322 with a lighter charge.

Steel head
06-17-14, 16:55
Try Xterminator or 8208xbr, both seem to run clean for me.