PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scope, binoculars or ?

tcoz
06-15-14, 19:57
Being new to this forum and rifles in general, I hope I'm given a pass if this question sounds kinda stupid but here goes...
What do you use at the range to spot your targets? The other day I was at the outdoor range for the first time, zeroing my RDS at 50yds. I'm 63 years old and my eyesight isn't very good. I took a pair of decent binoculars figuring I'd be able to see my shots pretty easily, but no such luck. Fortunately, I was the only person on the entire range that day so I just walked back and forth every three shots to check it out, but if there had been other shooters there that day, I certainly wouldn't have been able to do that. Since I had never been to the range when others were there, I have no idea what everyone does. Do you use splatter targets and a decent set of binoculars, regular targets and a real good set of binoculars or a spotting scope? I can't imagine that target maintenance is done all that often if there are ten or twelve people on the range, so what do you use to view your targets? Even being the only person out there, had I been working at 100 yds, I don't think I would've taken a 200 yd walk every few shots. Please give me some idea of the equipment you use so I'll know where to start looking. Cost is definitely a consideration. I apologize if this was a dumb question. Thanks, guys.

Zane1844
06-15-14, 20:01
I just bought a Bushnell spotter scope for $130 a few months ago, it was a great investment. I can, however, see my hits with my 6x Vortex, I still use the spotter though when the target gets shot up more.

So I suggest a spotting scope.

Rayrevolver
06-15-14, 20:03
Spotting scope.

I went with cheap-ish option called a Celestron Ultima 80 (20-60x80). It came with a tripod for about $160 shipped.

TacticalMark
06-15-14, 20:09
I use a Redfield 20x60 spotting scope when shooting longer distances on a cheap hand me down tripod. It is similar to this one here http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2856145774/redfield-rampage-spotting-scope-20-60x-60mm-armored-with-case-neck-strap-and-tripod-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Leaveammoforme
06-15-14, 20:28
Spotting scope over binoculars for spotting!

I hate binoculars unless I need a large field of view and am looking at lots or moving targets.

Kokopelli
06-15-14, 20:44
I use one of these as well. I use this as well.. http://www.amazon.com/Slik-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-Fluid-Effect-Built-In/dp/B00006HOKW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402882810&sr=8-3&keywords=slik+tripod

I also use a nice old 10X fixed power Nikon bino for 25m-50m. Typically I'll use the Nikon at the bench and have the spotting scope set up next to me..

Spotting scope.

I went with cheap-ish option called a Celestron Ultima 80 (20-60x80). It came with a tripod for about $160 shipped.

E_Johnson
06-15-14, 20:57
Spotting scope, if for nothing else than the stability of a tripod mount

Malig8r
06-15-14, 22:06
Spotting scope > binoculars > eyeballs.

Some of the ranges I go to will allow you to rent a spotting scope for $1 a day. They are county run ranges or private ranges that have public access for a daily rate.

Forgot to add they will rent you a chronograph as well for a nominal fee.

tog
06-15-14, 23:28
Like most here have stated, a spotting scope over binos any day. I used binos for a while then went with a spotting scope that I set up on the shooting bench. I wanted something light and portable and went with a small scope. It works okay, but wish I had went with something slightly bigger.

C-grunt
06-15-14, 23:40
Spotting scope all day long over binos. Check your local forums classifieds. I picked up a pretty nice Bushnell spotting scope for about half of its original price and the thing looked brand new.

tcoz
06-16-14, 04:07
Great suggestions. I've already started looking into some of the specific spotting scopes that have been mentioned and I'll also see if I can find something second hand. I've been shooting pistols for a long time and it's never been a concern indoors and I knew that spotting scopes are used for long range shooting, but if wasn't sure about a 50-100yd range. Thank you very much. I knew I could get answers by going to the experts.