PDA

View Full Version : trigger guard disassembly prob

HMsailor
06-16-14, 13:05
im having a difficult time tapping out the back roll pin and unscrewing the front hex nut. any way to make this task easier?

markm
06-16-14, 13:12
Do you have a roll pin punch for the rear? You want to be careful in that area so you don't break off one of the trigger guard tabs.

lrc
06-16-14, 13:16
put a little Kroil on it let it soak

diving dave
06-16-14, 13:17
Support the tab with a block of wood, tap out pin with a punch and small hammer..

HMsailor
06-16-14, 13:17
Do you have a roll pin punch for the rear? You want to be careful in that area so you don't break off one of the trigger guard tabs.

yup. it doesnt seem to
move. should it go the opposite direction it came in or same way? also the hex screw seems to be stuck.

markm
06-16-14, 13:22
yup. it doesnt seem to
move. should it go the opposite direction it came in or same way? also the hex screw seems to be stuck.

Drive the roll pin whichever way it'll go. I hope some idiot didn't red loctite your hex screw. I had to deal with that crap on a gas block last week. What a nightmare.

HMsailor
06-16-14, 13:26
Drive the roll pin whichever way it'll go. I hope some idiot didn't red loctite your hex screw. I had to deal with that crap on a gas block last week. What a nightmare.

i hope so too.

markm
06-16-14, 13:36
I'm trying to visualize a dremel removal of this thing... I think it'd be a tough procedure.

Iraqgunz
06-16-14, 14:25
Can you supply more info? Is this a Magpul trigger guard? Any type of oil will work. I had one that was jacked up and I had to cut the trigger guard away from the lower with a Dremel.

HMsailor
06-16-14, 14:30
i have some glue removal stuff but the last project i used it on, the paint faded, flaked and came off...

Airhasz
06-16-14, 14:33
Op, just take it to a shot to remove and install trigger guard. Can't cost much and can prevent stress and fuçkin up your lower receiver.

HMsailor
06-16-14, 14:39
Can you supply more info? Is this a Magpul trigger guard? Any type of oil will work. I had one that was jacked up and I had to cut the trigger guard away from the lower with a Dremel.

yup. plastic magpul trigger guard. im replacing it with the standard stuff and getting rid of all the magpul furniture.

JoePike
06-16-14, 18:27
I had to cut a trigger guard in half then cut the roll pin and screw. Red locktite on everything.

HMsailor
06-16-14, 18:38
I had to cut a trigger guard in half then cut the roll pin and screw. Red locktite on everything.

i hoping to save everything

gashooter
06-16-14, 18:50
Magpul uses a Blue Loctite on their factory screw. But the TG is made of plastic and it should come out fairly easily. Use a hair dryer to heat that plastic until the screw comes loose. The Roll Pin can be pushed out from either direction. As stated before, use wood to back up the receiver and drive it out. I use a 1"x4" piece of scrap with a 1/8" hole drilled through it as a backer.

dmaxfireman
06-16-14, 19:13
X2 on the piece of wood. It will save you from breaking the trigger guard tab.

Scrubber3
06-23-14, 21:10
IIRC there is a metal tab in the magpul trigger guards.... Though I could be mistaken. As stated earlier, use caution so the lower doesn't get jacked up. Why is it you want to go to a standard guard? Your middle finger will thank you if you leave the magpul one in.

HMsailor
06-23-14, 21:33
IIRC there is a metal tab in the magpul trigger guards.... Though I could be mistaken. As stated earlier, use caution so the lower doesn't get jacked up. Why is it you want to go to a standard guard? Your middle finger will thank you if you leave the magpul one in.

i actually got it out already. swapped it out with a standard trigger guard. i kinda preferred the standard issue look. my next AR would be a light weight project with dd free float lite rail and magpul furniture.