PDA

View Full Version : CS Buffer Spring

No Bananas
06-06-08, 03:49
I just received a Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=22336&title=AR-15/CAR-15/AR-STYLE%20.308%20CHROME%20SILICON%20SPRINGS

When I took out the spring, it seemed a bit long to me. So, I looked a bit closer at the specs listed on the website and saw:

"AR-15 spring is 15½" (39.4cm) long. Fits both fixed and collapsible stocked AR-15 rifles and carbines without modification to spring or gun."

Hmmm. A Buffer Spring that works in both? Is this possible? I haven't got my kit yet to put it all together, but I got a H-buffer and I'm a little worried about function. Should I be concerned?

Robb Jensen
06-06-08, 05:19
I could swear that Tubb used to make a CAR length and a rifle length CS spring. If you use that really long one you posted I dump the H buffer and get a CAR buffer.

No Bananas
06-06-08, 09:51
Damn :mad: That's what I was figuring. So here's the big dilema. Since I have this loooonge CS Sping and the H Buffer which is best?

Should I use the standard Spring and the H-Buffer or the CS looong spring and the standard car buffer?

BTW, this spring is a unique flat spring.

markm
06-06-08, 10:10
I'd ditch the CS spring and just replace the standard spring every 3-5 thousand rounds. I buy the COLT springs from Brownells.

I tried one of those CS springs, and it caused more problems than it was worth.

No Bananas
06-06-08, 11:07
demigod,
This isn't the first time that I've heard this. I decided to call David Tubb's (Spring Manufacturer) and I explained my situation. They told me that the spring was designed for handloaders that are shooting heavy bullets. The product description for Brownells does not say this! :mad: they included that with a CAR length (and NO heavy buffer) that I might have short-stroke issues w/ 55 & 62 gr. factory ammo. :mad: His advice was to trim three coils of the spring for CAR use, more if necessary. Geez, the wait and see and trim to the right length just about outweighs any benefit this spring might have.

So, I think it'll make the most sense to run a heavy buffer with the standard CAR spring.

I think I might hold noto it and use it for a standard AR rifle eventually.

markm
06-06-08, 11:32
I wasn't using Tubb's spring. I can't remember which brand it was, but it was a relatively cheap learning experience.

C4IGrant
06-06-08, 11:43
Most all CS springs I have seen (ISMI/Tubbs) and (Tactical Spring Company) are slightly longer than a mil-spec buffer spring. This should NOT be an issue with a gun that has a carbine gas system. The H buffer should also work with the spring you bought.

Worse case scenario is that the weapon short strokes and you cut 1-2 links off the spring (no big deal).

The reason to use a CS spring is that normal buffer springs typically last for 3-5K. Now if you are REALLY up to speed with counting rounds and doing PM's on your gear, then just buy a cheap $5 spring. Reality though is that most people have ZERO IDEA how many rounds are run throug their weapons. CS springs basically gurantees that you will never have to change a buffer spring ever again.

As a very busy person that likes to shoot a lot, I like this idea the best. ;)

C4

markm
06-06-08, 12:01
In my instance, it was a carbean gas system with an H buffer. I could definitely feel the diff in spring tension just by pulling the charging handle back.

My original spring was probably near or over the 5k mark, and I was getting an occasional unexplained malf. So I decided to try a CS. Malfs were instant and obvious with a couple different kinds of ammo. Short stroking, FTEs, and all of that mess.

(Hmmm.. I'll have to measure it against a new Colt buffer spring when I get home.)

No Bananas
06-06-08, 12:57
demigod,
Would you mind posting the length of the standard CAR buffer spring and the length of your CS spring. I'm curious. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, Grant. I'm not doubting your experience or expertise, or anyone else's for that matter. I'm just interested to know the length stuff.

markm
06-06-08, 13:15
Sure. I have a brand new COLT spring still in the bag. I'll have to dig out that CS spring.

markm
06-06-08, 18:51
Interesting results. I'm glad you asked me to measure these.

The Tactical Springs "M4/CAR-15" spring measures 12"

Colt factory spring measures 10 3/4"

A well used spring that I replaced measured 10 1/2"

I'll have to pull a rifle spring to see what that measures.

No Bananas
06-07-08, 08:51
Thanks demigod,
I'm interested to hear on the rifle length.

Anyway, I was hoping that getting a CS Spring and heavy buffer was a set it and forget it thing, and now it's gotten a bit more complicated :confused: . Do I just trim 3 coils off to be safe or should I wait and see? Could trimming 3 coils right off the bat hurt me? I don't see how, The Spring is already 15 1/2" long (though, it's flat).

Although I like the idea of the tougher and longer lasting CS Spring (and less sproing) Grant makes a good point. Sadly, I really only get to go shooting about once a month, and I'll shoot about 200 rounds or so per range visit. So, It won;t bee too hard to gauge my round count. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll hold onto the CS spring for a future rifle build and just use the standard CAR buffer spring and heavy buffer. No trimming or issues. Just throw it in and go shootin' :D

Razorhunter
06-07-08, 10:01
Hope you don't mind me asking, but does anyone have an ideal setup (buffer and spring type) for a Midlength gas system?

I'd like to see a chart made up, with recommended buffers, and springs, for different length gas systems/etc.
It would be great to even add 6.8 info to the chart, as well as AR10 info.
I sometimes get confused, when I see some manuf's including H3 buffers in their AR10 lowers, and then I see H3 buffers in 5.56 SBR's as well.
It would just be great to see a chart made up, by someone with the knowledge, which could give us something to go by.
Anyone up to the task? Where's Rob at?

markm
06-07-08, 10:10
Thanks demigod,
I'm interested to hear on the rifle length.

12 1/2 inches. I know there's probably more to the equation than simple overall length of the spring. I'm curious if this turd would work in a rifle buffer system. But I'm not sure I want to waste another live round messing with it.

I'll probably make a christmas tree ornament out of it! :p

In any case, it's Mil spec springs from now on for me.

Razorhunter
06-07-08, 10:31
demigod,
I'm surprised you've had problems out of CS springs. Are you thinking it was because it was a CS spring, OR because it was not of the proper length/etc?
I've honestly NEVER had issues out of ANY spring I've tried in my Colt, or any other gun.
Now changing buffers is another story, but springs have never affected my reliability.
I like the CS springs for ONE reason, and that is they are much stiffer feeling (either due to their slightly longer length, OR due to the material they are made of).
Regardless, the fact that they don't TWANG around inside my receiver extension is really nice. ALSO, the fact that they have as much more SOLID feel to them, when you pull back the charging handle, and feel that higher tension, is what I like, (as long as it works in my gun of course).

No Bananas
06-07-08, 11:41
Aw hell,

The damn CS spring cost me $25 (not including shipping, yes, I had ordered other items). So I think I'll clip off 3 coils and see what happens. I'll bring my wrench and mil-spec buffer spring to the range w/ me.

I won't have all the parts for another couple weeks. But I'll post a report. Here goes nothin':eek:

C4IGrant
06-07-08, 13:11
Aw hell,

The damn CS spring cost me $25 (not including shipping, yes, I had ordered other items). So I think I'll clip off 3 coils and see what happens. I'll bring my wrench and mil-spec buffer spring to the range w/ me.

I won't have all the parts for another couple weeks. But I'll post a report. Here goes nothin':eek:

Clip off one coil at a time. If the bolt does not lock back then clip another coil.

C4

markm
06-07-08, 15:53
demigod,
I'm surprised you've had problems out of CS springs. Are you thinking it was because it was a CS spring, OR because it was not of the proper length/etc?

I really have no idea. Maybe they accidentally stuffed a rifle spring into a carbean tube. :confused:

Like I said before, I could immediately feel the increased tension in the charging handle. The difference was obvious. It was installed in a well known weapon that was due for a spring change.

No Bananas
06-07-08, 18:21
On the Spring snip. After I cut the coil which end should the cut coil go in. Should I place the cut coil in the end of the buffer tube or at the end of the buffer itself (opposite end)?

markm
06-08-08, 09:48
Since the spring "snaps" onto the buffer, I'd guess the snipped end would be better in the receiver extention.

No Bananas
06-16-08, 11:32
Well, my parts are coming in this week. But I think I've changed my mind. I'll just save the durn CS Spring for a Full Size Build and shoot the mil-spec sprins w/ my heavy Buffer....at least for now. Thanks everybody for your help and comments.