PDA

View Full Version : My New Sig M11A1

ShipWreck
06-16-14, 20:14
First the Sig 226 a couple weeks ago, and now this...

I finally picked up my new Sig M11A1 tonight :) :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SigM11-1-1_zps9a84c581.jpg~original

And, the pair:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SigM11-1-2_zpsb08ac5bc.jpg~original

Wolvee
06-16-14, 20:15
Very Nice. Congrats on a good purchase.

Trifecta
06-16-14, 20:18
Seriously jealous, as an owner of a Sig P-228 and as someone who lusts over the M11 I must say I envy/hate you.

Unless you let me shoot it.

In all seriousness, nice purchase - beautiful gun that will serve you well. SRT, night sights, mags and a nice holster and you have one helluva setup.

ShipWreck
06-16-14, 20:57
Thanks guys. I sold a P99 this past Sat to help me fund it

mrvip27
06-16-14, 20:58
What are the differences between the P228 and the M11A1?

Nice setup.

Trifecta
06-16-14, 21:05

Nice setup.

Stamped steel slide on the p228 vs milled stainless on M11, that's really about it. Some other small variances but not enough to really go into detail with.

mrvip27
06-16-14, 21:06
Stamped steel slide on the p228 vs milled stainless on M11, that's really about it. Some other small variances but not enough to really go into detail with.

Thanks, was just curious!

I've been looking as both these firearms as well.

Trifecta
06-16-14, 21:12
Thanks, was just curious!

I've been looking as both these firearms as well.

Do it, you won't be dissatisfied. In fact my P-228 is probably my favorite handgun, SRT and night sights are a 'must have/do'.

CaptainN8
06-16-14, 21:14

The m11a1 also has the SRT trigger.

mrvip27
06-16-14, 21:29
Sorry for the hijack Shipwreck!

ShipWreck
06-16-14, 21:47
Sorry for the hijack Shipwreck!

No problem :)

streck
06-17-14, 07:56

Damn nice pair. :)

Nice setup.

The M11A1 is essentially a non-railed P-229 with P228 (cough) grips, the coated internals, and UID label like the Mk25 P226.

Sensei
06-17-14, 09:23
Another big difference is the trigger. The M-11 as issued to .mil has a standard trigger. The M-11A1 has the newer short tigger. Some people get over-travel bite from this the short trigger which causes them install the standard trigger or Bruce Gray's new intermediate trigger.

Stengun
06-17-14, 10:41
Howdy,

Neat pistol! How about a range report?

Paul

Eurodriver
06-17-14, 10:47
What makes this pistol worth posting a thread about? Certainly if I got a new G19 and made a thread no one would care.

Just wondering as I have no idea.

Stengun
06-17-14, 10:52
Howdy,

What makes this pistol worth posting a thread about? Certainly if I got a new G19 and made a thread no one would care.

Maybe the owner is excited about his new pistol. I know I would be excited.

Paul

streck
06-17-14, 11:27

You cared enough to post.... ;)

Eurodriver
06-17-14, 12:19
You cared enough to post.... ;)

Let me rephrase:

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about firearms and I've never heard of this pistol. Is there something new or different about it or is it a new SIG owner proud of his purchase?

I'm not judging. Just trying to gain knowledge.

streck
06-17-14, 12:33
No problem. Now I am tracking.

The M11A1 is a newer (year old) variation of the P229.

It appears that Sig followed up the Mk25 P226 launch with a compact version based on the 229 and called it the M11A1. Even though they gave it P228 grips, call it an updated M11 (P228), and dress it up like the Mk25, it is not sold to DoD. It does come with several additions like night sights, SRT, short trigger, and 15 round magazines instead of the 229's 13 rounders.

This is not to detract from the quality of the pistol.

I admit to considering one and would like to read the OP's range report. I don't want railed compact Sig so it may be between this and the P229 SAS.

ShipWreck
06-17-14, 12:35
Howdy,

Neat pistol! How about a range report?

Paul

I hope to take it to the range later this week hopefully.

MistWolf
06-17-14, 12:36
Eurodriver's point is that this thread started with a "Woohoo! I gotta a new Shiny!" and has been followed with nothing more than "Nice Shiny!" responses, typical Facebook fare, which violates forum guidelines. Eurodriver's comment is a clue-by-four- get this thread on to a useful track before a mod deletes or closes it

halo2304
06-17-14, 15:25
Eurodriver's point is that this thread started with a "Woohoo! I gotta a new Shiny!" and has been followed with nothing more than "Nice Shiny!" responses, typical Facebook fare, which violates forum guidelines. Eurodriver's comment is a clue-by-four- get this thread on to a useful track before a mod deletes or closes it

Where's the 'Like' button? :-P

Seriously though, why did Sig choose not to give it a light rail? Just curious as they had a P228R not too long ago and I thought they stopped the non-railed versions a while back.

streck
06-17-14, 16:09
Seriously though, why did Sig choose not to give it a light rail? Just curious as they had a P228R not too long ago and I thought they stopped the non-railed versions a while back.

The railed 228s were P228 slides in inventory put onto P229 frames. It was pretty limited run and seems to support the suggestion that it was clearing out inventory.

It is a little weird that the NSW P226 Navy had no rail, then the non-NSW P226 Navy got a rail which led, the railed P226. But the P228 (M11) did not have a rail, then go one, but the M11A1 does not get one.

I wonder if they needed to clear out some P229 SAS frames.

Stengun
06-17-14, 16:47
Howdy

The railed 228s were P228 slides in inventory put onto P229 frames. It was pretty limited run and seems to support the suggestion that it was clearing out inventory.

It is a little weird that the NSW P226 Navy had no rail, then the non-NSW P226 Navy got a rail which led, the railed P226. But the P228 (M11) did not have a rail, then go one, but the M11A1 does not get one.

I wonder if they needed to clear out some P229 SAS frames.

Some folks, like myself, do NOT like rails especially on a CC pistol.

Paul

HCM
06-17-14, 17:13
Shipwreck,

How is the DA pull on you M11a1 compared to your P226 or your Beretta's? The SRT sear is appealing but several M11a1's I've handled seem to have a heavier / rougher DA pull than most comprable SIGs.

Sensei
06-17-14, 18:06
Shipwreck,

How is the DA pull on you M11a1 compared to your P226 or your Beretta's? The SRT sear is appealing but several M11a1's I've handled seem to have a heavier / rougher DA pull than most comprable SIGs.

I have both (MK25 and M11A1) and the DA trigger pull on the M11A1 is about 1lb heavier after I installed a SRT kit in the MK25. It is noticeable but not oppressive. I also installed Bruce Gray's Precision Intermediate Trigger in the M11A1 which didn't change the weight of the trigger pull but did reduce over travel.

The heavier DA pull on the M11A1 has been discussed on Sig Forum. It probably has nothing to do with the SRT since most of us note a slight decrease in DA pull after installing the kit in other pistols with a standard fire control group.

Sensei
06-17-14, 20:05
Also, I expect the DA trigger pull on the M11A1, like all Sigs, to smooth up and lighten by a pound or so after a couple thousand rounds.

CaptainN8
06-17-14, 20:18
I put the E2 grip on my 228. Wow, that different mainspring made the trigger pull so much lighter. It's an amazing trigger now.

ShipWreck
06-17-14, 21:21
Shipwreck,

Well, I have D springs in all my Berettas. The Sig pull is a little heavier. However, it seems to be a bit shorter on the 226. The DA pull seems a tiny, tiny bit heavier on the M11A1 in DA. However, I prefer the grip of the M11A1 a little over that of the 226 (but, still like the 226).

The Beretta 92 with hogue grip panels will always be my favorite platform. But, I do like the Sigs. I did find that when doing a doubletap, the second follow up shot is a bit more accurate on the 226.

I haven't shot the new M11A1 yet

ShipWreck
06-17-14, 21:22
The heavier DA pull on the M11A1 has been discussed on Sig Forum. It probably has nothing to do with the SRT since most of us note a slight decrease in DA pull after installing the kit in other pistols with a standard fire control group.

Ok, so it wasn't my imagination. It IS a little heavier than my 226....

Sensei
06-17-14, 23:53
Ok, so it wasn't my imagination. It IS a little heavier than my 226....

Nope, it's real. It is a bit odd since the SRT either has no affect or a slight weight reduction in my full sized guns. However, a thousand rounds through it will take about a pound off the DA pull.

Your follow-up with a stock P226 is likely a little better due to its trigger reset being significantly shorter than the Beretta's. Also, I bet that you will find follow-up shots are VERY fast with the SRT equipped M11A1. The reset in that gun will be about half of what you feel in the MK25 and much shorter than a factory 92FS. Feel the reset after you rack the slide in each gun - there is less than 1/4 inch of reset in the M11A1.

I'd agree that a D-spring equipped 92FS has a very nice DA and SA pull in terms of weight and break. However, the reset is a bit longer than a Sig's.

ShipWreck
06-18-14, 06:20
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

streck
06-18-14, 07:00
Some folks, like myself, do NOT like rails especially on a CC pistol.

Paul

I admit to considering one and would like to read the OP's range report. I don't want railed compact Sig so it may be between this and the P229 SAS.

I was commenting on the fact that the marketed as military Mk25 has a rail while the marketed as military M11A1 does not. There is still the aforementioned CC oriented P229 SAS without rails filling that role.

Perhaps Sig is using the M11A1 configuration as contract replacements for organizations that originally purchased the M11 P228.

brickboy240
06-18-14, 11:48
So basically the new M-11s are just non-railed 9mm P229s?

-brickboy240

Sensei
06-18-14, 12:46
I was commenting on the fact that the marketed as military Mk25 has a rail while the marketed as military M11A1 does not. There is still the aforementioned CC oriented P229 SAS without rails filling that role.

Perhaps Sig is using the M11A1 configuration as contract replacements for organizations that originally purchased the M11 P228.

I highly doubt it. The M11A1 uses the P229-1 frame and magazines which differ from the M11/P228. This would cause some mag capability issues since M11A1 mags do not fit in the P228, and 9mm P228 mags rattle in the M11A1. In addition, the M11A1 has a different feel (nose heavy) than the P228 due to the milled stainless slide.

So basically the new M-11s are just non-railed 9mm P229s?

-brickboy240

Correct - they are P229-1 framed 9mm pistols with a milled stainless slide that is customary on all P229 pistols. It also has a factory installed SRT, phosphate coated internals, and a short trigger. I consider the SRT to be an upgrade, the coated internals to be an upgrade if you plan to swim in the ocean with your pistol, and the short trigger to be a pain in the ass unless you have midget hands.

streck
06-18-14, 13:23
I highly doubt it. The M11A1 uses the P229-1 frame and magazines which differ from the M11/P228. This would cause some mag capability issues since M11A1 mags do not fit in the P228, and 9mm P228 mags rattle in the M11A1. In addition, the M11A1 has a different feel (nose heavy) than than P228 due to the milled stainless slide.

Good point. Forgot about that.

ShipWreck
06-18-14, 16:13
Well, I got to shoot the gun now. I like it a lot. A lot a lot :)

It seems to be more of the combat sight picture, where you cover the target with the front sight. My 226 is a 6 o'clock hold, for some reason (and my only gun like that). This M11A1 matches the sight picture of my other guns.

Gun worked 100%. Shorter sight radius does take a little more effort to hit at the longer ranges. But, I did well. Recoil isn't bad.

And, believe it or not, I didn't have that issue with my thumb hitting the slide stop on the M11A1 like I did with my 226 with the E2 grip. One of the things that pushed me to the M11A1 over the 229 with an E2 grip was as small raised area on the upper left grip. Right where your thumbs go. It seems to push your hand a little further away from the slide stop.

I suspected this might solve that issue for me at the gun store - and after shooting it, i was right. So, that was nice. The grip circumference seems to be thinner on the M11A1 than it is on a standard 226. On a 226, I can't leave normal factory grips on otherwise the grip gets too fat for my hands. Hence my like for the E2 grip.

But on the M11A1, it's fine. And, the factory grips are also rough enough that I needn't worry about rubber grips either. Good deal!

Now, while shooting I tried some two handed and 1 handed double taps. I think I did the best I have ever done with it compared to any other handgun. It does take some concentration - but I was actually able to put some of the second shots in the central circle area. And eve when it widened up, at it's worst it was equal to usually the best I can do with other guns.

Also - I am a HUGE DA/SA gun fan. So, at the gun store, I knew I would like this gun if it just worked 100%. And it did, of course. I think if I didn't have my Shield as my carry gun, I'd be tempted to carry this thing. It is obviously heavier than the Shield, though. On my bathroom scale, my Shield is 1.6 lbs loaded. The Sig M11A1 is 2.4 lbs. The Sig's trigger is preferential, but the extra weight would be noticeable when I usually carry my Shield with a Smart Carry holster and draw string shorts.

Because it shot so well with double taps, I considered making it my night stand gun. However, when I hold it and my 92FS, the feeling of the Beretta in my hand is still my favorite. And, it's so familiar. So, I'm not changing it. But< I will admit that I can do doubletaps with the Sig M11A1 better than any other gun.

ShipWreck
06-18-14, 16:30
and the short trigger to be a pain in the ass unless you have midget hands.

While dry firing the gun at home, I noticed that if I put too much finger into the trigger guard, the back of the trigger can pinch part of my finger. So, you only wanna use the pad of your finger. However, when I actually shot the gun, I had no issues. I anticipated that I might wanna change the SRT out for a standard trigger. But in actual range use, I had zero problems with it. So, I'm gonna leave it.

mrvip27
06-18-14, 17:08

It seems to be more of the combat sight picture, where you cover the target with the front sight. My 226 is a 6 o'clock hold, for some reason (and my only gun like that). This M11A1 matches the sight picture of my other guns.

Gun worked 100%. Shorter sight radius does take a little more effort to hit at the longer ranges. But, I did well. Recoil isn't bad.

And, believe it or not, I didn't have that issue with my thumb hitting the slide stop on the M11A1 like I did with my 226 with the E2 grip. One of the things that pushed me to the M11A1 over the 229 with an E2 grip was as small raised area on the upper left grip. Right where your thumbs go. It seems to push your hand a little further away from the slide stop.

I suspected this might solve that issue for me at the gun store - and after shooting it, i was right. So, that was nice. The grip circumference seems to be thinner on the M11A1 than it is on a standard 226. On a 226, I can't leave normal factory grips on otherwise the grip gets too fat for my hands. Hence my like for the E2 grip.

But on the M11A1, it's fine. And, the factory grips are also rough enough that I needn't worry about rubber grips either. Good deal!

Now, while shooting I tried some two handed and 1 handed double taps. I think I did the best I have ever done with it compared to any other handgun. It does take some concentration - but I was actually able to put some of the second shots in the central circle area. And eve when it widened up, at it's worst it was equal to usually the best I can do with other guns.

Also - I am a HUGE DA/SA gun fan. So, at the gun store, I knew I would like this gun if it just worked 100%. And it did, of course. I think if I didn't have my Shield as my carry gun, I'd be tempted to carry this thing. It is obviously heavier than the Shield, though. On my bathroom scale, my Shield is 1.6 lbs loaded. The Sig M11A1 is 2.4 lbs. The Sig's trigger is preferential, but the extra weight would be noticeable when I usually carry my Shield with a Smart Carry holster and draw string shorts.

Because it shot so well with double taps, I considered making it my night stand gun. However, when I hold it and my 92FS, the feeling of the Beretta in my hand is still my favorite. And, it's so familiar. So, I'm not changing it. But< I will admit that I can do doubletaps with the Sig M11A1 better than any other gun.

Nice! So do you prefer it to the Mk25?

ShipWreck
06-18-14, 18:09
Nice! So do you prefer it to the Mk25?

Now that I have thought about it - Yes, I think I do. My 226 isn't a full MK25. It's a 226 legacy - which is built on a MK25 frame. It doesn't have quite all the extras. But, I wanted the E2 grip.

But yea, I do like the feel and balance of the M11A1 more than the 226, by a little.

I am getting a Sig Pro 2022 next. I sold my P99 and another gun this past weekend to help pay for the M11A1. So, I don't have a fullsize polymer gun. I never really had an interest in the Sig Pro until the past couple of weeks. I discovered that it has the same rough texture on it as the E2 grip. This would be the first polymer handgun that I didn't need to put an ugly piece of bicycle inner tube on. I usually like rubber grips on all guns - even have the hogue rubber grip panels on my Berettas. But these Sigs have a nice, textured grip that make it where I don't need that.

After the Sig Pro, I'm taking a break from buying. That will be 3 Sig handguns and a new Sig 516 carbine :p

mrvip27
06-18-14, 18:10
Now that I have thought about it - Yes, I think I do. My 226 isn't a full MK25. It's a 226 legacy - which is built on a MK25 frame. It doesn't have quite all the extras. But, I wanted the E2 grip.

But yea, I do like the feel and balance of the M11A1 more than the 226, by a little.

I am getting a Sig Pro 2022 next. I sold my P99 and another gun this past weekend to help pay for the M11A1. So, I don't have a fullsize polymer gun. I never really had an interest in the Sig Pro until the past couple of weeks. I discovered that it has the same rough texture on it as the E2 grip. This would be the first polymer handgun that I didn't need to put an ugly piece of bicycle inner tube on. I usually like rubber grips on all guns - even have the hogue rubber grip panels on my Berettas. But these Sigs have a nice, textured grip that make it where I don't need that.

After the Sig Pro, I'm taking a break from buying. That will be 3 Sig handguns and a new Sig 516 carbine :p

Thanks! I need to try one out.

ShipWreck
06-18-14, 18:20
Yes. You should. I almost gave in and got a 229 with an E2 grip. But, the M11A1 comes with a third mag. And, I kinda thought that the area of the left grip I mentioned in my other post would stop me from hitting the slide release. And, it did. So, I could shoot with my normal grip and not have a problem. That was nice.

Sensei
06-18-14, 19:47
While dry firing the gun at home, I noticed that if I put too much finger into the trigger guard, the back of the trigger can pinch part of my finger. So, you only wanna use the pad of your finger. However, when I actually shot the gun, I had no issues. I anticipated that I might wanna change the SRT out for a standard trigger. But in actual range use, I had zero problems with it. So, I'm gonna leave it.

The SRT is not actually the trigger on your pistol. It is a upgrade which comes standard on the M11A1 that includes a different sear and sear safety leaver to shorten trigger rest. For obvious reasons, it is frequently confused with the Short Trigger which is an actual trigger with a slim profile that also comes standard on the M11A1. I only mention this because I know some people have ordered the SRT and been disappointed when the package does not contain an actual trigger. Sig should just eliminate the confusion by dropping the "T" in SRT, and just calling it a Short Reset (SR) kit.

Also, it should be noted that the real M11 that is issued to our military does not have the SRT and sports a standard trigger.

ShipWreck
06-18-14, 20:10
Ok. I knew the trigger itself was different on the M11A1 because when I lay it down next to my 226, it is shaped different. But being new to Sigs, I don't know all the particulars yet, like I do with Berettas.

Sensei
06-18-14, 21:28
Ok. I knew the trigger itself was different on the M11A1 because when I lay it down next to my 226, it is shaped different. But being new to Sigs, I don't know all the particulars yet, like I do with Berettas.

No problem. I purchased my first Sig, a P229 in .40SW, in 1996. I made several more Sig purchases until 2004 when I began to hear the rumors about poor QC. I came back to the platform a couple of years ago and decided to learn all that I could about maintaining and trouble shooting the platform. Bruce Gray's armorer's video is an excellent resource if you ever need to swap out any parts beyond a recoil spring assembly. It will save you hundreds in shipping fees should you develop a small collection.

Also, Top Gun Shooting supply is a great resource for all things Sig - parts, mags, instructional videos, etc.

Stengun
06-18-14, 21:41
Howdy Shipwreck,

Dude!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/stengun/1387088802_zps8d32b383.gif

No pics or vids, didn't happen. Just kidding but a couple of pics would be nice.

Paul

ShipWreck
06-18-14, 21:52
Hard to take pics and video by yourself.

bighawk
06-19-14, 20:48

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SigM11-1-1_zps9a84c581.jpg~original

And, the pair:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SigM11-1-2_zpsb08ac5bc.jpg~original

Nice purchase.. Congrats!

PlatoCATM
06-23-14, 21:40
This is a timely thread to find, as I just purchased an M11A1 myself today. After looking at Sigs for a few months and deciding to hold off for now, I saw the promotional +2 mags ad yesterday and it put me over the edge. I only put 90 rounds through it today, but I definitely enjoyed shooting it. I prefer a straighter trigger, but the short trigger, hooked as it is, didn't seem to bother me. I wonder how that will change when I start to shoot it harder. The double action was a bit heavy but didn't seem to stack too much, and the SRT was great. I have never seen a double-tapered magazine until handling this gun, but it should make for some fast reloads provided I don't botch hitting the mag release--not a fan of mag releases that angle away from my thumb. Overall, it's a solid pistol, accurate and seems reliable. Hopefully I can get a holster for it soon so I can run it through some drills and see how I do with it.

ShipWreck
06-24-14, 06:39
After some more time with my M11A1, it has become my new nightstand pistol.

Sensei
06-24-14, 10:39

Nice choice. However, I'm a little surprised that you didn't go with your new P226/MK25 for things that go bump in the night. I have a Surefire equipped MK25 the sits in a AMSEC safe under my bed. My M11A1 (and its P228 cousin) is my second favorite carry gun, right behind my G19(s).

mrvip27
06-24-14, 18:58

How many rounds do you have through it soo far? How is it holding up to wear?

ShipWreck
06-26-14, 18:55
My three Sigs... Not a bad June - 3 Sigs in 3 weeks :)

Got the 2022 in from Buds yesterday. $399 for it

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/26c1e357969d809deff50608560744a6.jpg

ShipWreck
06-26-14, 18:56
Nice choice. However, I'm a little surprised that you didn't go with your new P226/MK25 for things that go bump in the night. I have a Surefire equipped MK25 the sits in a AMSEC safe under my bed. My M11A1 (and its P228 cousin) is my second favorite carry gun, right behind my G19(s).

I just like the weight and balance of the M11A1 a bit better. Plus, the left grip panel has a shape to it near the slide release that keeps your thumb away from the release lever.

How many rounds do you have through it soo far? How is it holding up to wear?

About 250 now. Holding up fine!

mrvip27
06-26-14, 21:34
I just like the weight and balance of the M11A1 a bit better. Plus, the left grip panel has a shape to it near the slide release that keeps your thumb away from the release lever.

About 250 now. Holding up fine!

Nice, I have just been weary about getting a sig lately.

ldunnmobile
06-26-14, 23:02
I have 1,335 though my M11-a1-D. No malfunctions, daily carry.

mrvip27
06-26-14, 23:02
I have 1,335 though my M11-a1-D. No malfunctions, daily carry.

Pics?! :)

samuse
06-27-14, 08:16
Nice, I have just been weary about getting a sig lately.

Don't worry.

In 2012 I shot almost 5K rounds through a 9mm 229, a MK25, and a 226. All performed perfectly.

DBZ220
06-27-14, 17:47
I don't have my log books in front of me right now, but my M11A1 is somewhere around 2K with no problems.
The mags it came with are 15rnd Checkmates too.

Sensei
06-27-14, 18:03
No problem. Now I am tracking.

The M11A1 is a newer (year old) variation of the P229.

It appears that Sig followed up the Mk25 P226 launch with a compact version based on the 229 and called it the M11A1. Even though they gave it P228 grips, call it an updated M11 (P228), and dress it up like the Mk25, it is not sold to DoD. It does come with several additions like night sights, SRT, short trigger, and 15 round magazines instead of the 229's 13 rounders.

This is not to detract from the quality of the pistol.

It basically comes down to your grip preference as that is the difference between the M11A1 and P229 SAS. Those who like E2 grips will gravitate toward the P229 SAS while traditionalists will lean toward the M11A1.

Personally, I'd like to see Sig bring back a real P228 with an E2 grip option. The P228's carbon steel slide gives it a very comfortable profile that is more than adequate strength for 9mm pressures.

mrvip27
06-27-14, 18:07
I don't have my log books in front of me right now, but my M11A1 is somewhere around 2K with no problems.
The mags it came with are 15rnd Checkmates too.

I need to go shoot one somewhere... :/

ldunnmobile
06-27-14, 18:45
I put an E2 on mine.

ShipWreck
06-27-14, 19:51
Well, I'll be going to try the Sp2022 tomorrow morning :)

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/95b74488f4e8fb3ce4201ac309697638.jpg

ShipWreck
06-27-14, 19:53
It basically comes down to your grip preference as that is the difference between the M11A1 and P229 SAS. Those who like E2 grips will gravitate toward the P229 SAS while traditionalists will lean toward the M11A1.

Personally, I'd like to see Sig bring back a real P228 with an E2 grip option. The P228's carbon steel slide gives it a very comfortable profile that is more than adequate strength for 9mm pressures.

Yes, I looked at the E2 229 very closely, as I love the E2 226 so much. But even with regular grips, my M11A1 seems to have a smaller grip than a standard 226.

I also happen to like the factory M11A1 grips. They are sort of textured like the E2 grips. And, it has a raised area on the top left side that naturally takes my thumbs away from the slide release. So, I don't have to alter my grip at all to have the slide lock on an empty magazine. I paid about $900 for my M11A1. By the time I factor in that it comes with 3 mags, it didn't cost me anymore than a 229 would have.

cwgibson
07-04-14, 18:03
I just bought back a 228r I sold to a friend a few years ago and have ordered the parts to add the SRT and E2 grips. Sigs have always felt great in my hand, and I shoot them very well. Congrats on your purchase!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sensei
07-04-14, 22:09
I just bought back a 228r I sold to a friend a few years ago and have ordered the parts to add the SRT and E2 grips. Sigs have always felt great in my hand, and I shoot them very well. Congrats on your purchase!

What kind of sick puppy sells a P228R? You Sir, should be ashamed...very, very ashamed.

I believe the German P228 to be one of the finest 9mm carry weapons ever made. That is why I'm buying every one that I can find - railed or not.

cwgibson
07-04-14, 23:04
What kind of sick puppy sells a P228R? You Sir, should be ashamed...very, very ashamed.

I believe the German P228 to be one of the finest 9mm carry weapons ever made. That is why I'm buying every one that I can find - railed or not.

Rub it in why don't you! Needed cash in a bad way, but made sure I sold it to a close friend who I knew would most likely sell it back to me. He only shot it three time in the three years he had it. It's still practically new. Was I told correctly that these were only sold to the public when a federal agency placed an order and they would so a ten percent overrun or something like that?

Sensei
07-05-14, 04:25
Rub it in why don't you! Needed cash in a bad way, but made sure I sold it to a close friend who I knew would most likely sell it back to me. He only shot it three time in the three years he had it. It's still practically new. Was I told correctly that these were only sold to the public when a federal agency placed an order and they would so a ten percent overrun or something like that?

I understand that there was an overrun on parts from a contract and there were a limited number produced from 2010-2011, but I do not know the details.

ShipWreck
07-05-14, 07:18
I just ordered a new Sig 224 last night :)

cwgibson
07-05-14, 07:25
I'm wanting a .45 again so I believe the P227 will be my next purchase.