PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Dynamics DVD

Pages : 1 [2]

ZOMBIE101
12-22-08, 11:11
+1 DvD's.....Worth Every Penny.....Wish they had a class neer the Las Vegas area!!! ;)

SCULLY
12-22-08, 22:31
I just ordered a set from Brownells (they ship to Canada), looking forwrd to checking it out, thanks Magpul.

C45P312
12-23-08, 15:51
I just ordered a set from Brownells (they ship to Canada), looking forwrd to checking it out, thanks Magpul.

Really? If that's the case, I have a friend in Vancouver that wanted a set for himself. I've been telling him that he'd had to come visit me in VA to watch it lol

This item cannot be exported from the United States of America without a valid permit due to U.S. State Dept. ITAR restrictions. Unfortunately this also includes military APO addresses.

Mr. Clean
12-23-08, 17:10
Outstanding DVD set. A copy should be in every Gun Guy's Video Library. It's beautifully shot as much as it is informative. Well done guys

I agree 100%.

And for some feedback for Travis:

This is meant to be a great reference tool and to get more people educated and involved in our community.

Mission accomplished. While watching portions of the DVDs with me, my wife commented that the class looked like fun (she is very firearm friendly ... but to date has only taken formal handgun training). Based upon how much she watched ... I think she warmed up to the carbine platform and might want to do a class with me in the future.

Great job!

EchoFox
12-23-08, 19:40
Finally received my copy, ITAR really sucks. I loved watching it, well done.

Chris, what sunglasses are those on disc 2? Looks like some WileyX, but can't find any on their page equal to yours. Thanks. :)

NYShooter
12-24-08, 02:39
What are the plastic mag holders Costa is using on his belt for the AR mags?

Hawkeye
12-24-08, 06:08
What are the plastic mag holders Costa is using on his belt for the AR mags?

Blade Tec kydex AR mag carriers.

Robb Jensen
12-24-08, 07:41

Yep it's the new style ones too. These allow you to insert the mags bullets forward or backward.

costa
12-24-08, 08:39
Finally received my copy, ITAR really sucks. I loved watching it, well done.

Chris, what sunglasses are those on disc 2? Looks like some WileyX, but can't find any on their page equal to yours. Thanks. :)

Eins Fox,

They are Wiley X's titanium, however I bought them years ago and last year at shot show I wanted to pick more up and they told me they discontinued them. Those glasses were great for shooting, high-speed boat driving, assaulting or just riding a scooter, because they were also transition lenses, it sucks they don't make them anymore.

happy holidays gents

C,

EchoFox
12-24-08, 15:04
What a shame indeed. But thanks anyway for the info, will keep my M-Frames then.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-24-08, 16:04
Eins Fox,
Those glasses were great for shooting, high-speed boat driving, assaulting or just riding a scooter....

Chris riding a scooter, that would be a hoot.

Caio

theJanitor
12-24-08, 16:43
Yep it's the new style ones too. These allow you to insert the mags bullets forward or backward.

How new are these? i just got three in, a couple of months ago, direct from blade-tech. i still had to order them with my desired (bullets-to-rear) orientation. they do not fit well bullets forward.

5pins
12-24-08, 22:59
I put the DVD on my Christmas list, so we’ll see in the morning.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-24-08, 23:50
How new are these? i just got three in, a couple of months ago, direct from blade-tech. i still had to order them with my desired (bullets-to-rear) orientation. they do not fit well bullets forward.

I hope Travis and Chris get a cut. The comment about the new BladeTech mag holders just cost me $300 by the time I added some holsters, mag pouches and stuff. I like the ITW FastMags, but they are only MOLLE attached, and I was looking for some that were belt attached. So much cool stuff on that site, and even an IWB holster for my new H&K PSP.

costa
12-30-08, 18:58
According to the Exodus Command Center and ICE:

"The DDTC Licensing Officer determined “NOT USML MUNITIONS LIST ARTICLE” for the DVD titled “The Art of the Tactical Carbine.” Your EARS record has been marked “Decision Rendered.” "

So this means that the DVD set is cleared for export to addresses overseas!

Happy New Year,

EchoFox
12-30-08, 19:07
Just two weeks to late for me, but I can see a lot of happy faces right across the globe. ;)

ZOMBIE101
12-30-08, 19:10
Mr.Costa....
Who makes the Amby Safety you have on your rifle?

Zombie

costa
12-30-08, 19:17
Some are by Knights Armament, and some are from brownells.

happy new year,

ZOMBIE101
12-30-08, 19:18
Thanx'...Happy New Year to you too ;)

Steve in PA
12-30-08, 22:24

What attachment method is prefered? There are several offered.

ZOMBIE101
12-30-08, 22:32
tec-loc

paconstabull@yahoo.com
12-30-08, 23:18
cool beanssssssssssss

teufeldog
01-02-09, 16:12
I noticed what looked like skateboard type grip tape on Costa's Glock (17, 22 or 21 -- not sure what he is using). This seems pretty smart and functional. Is there a company that makes this stuff already cut for slides or do people just go buy grip tape / skateboard tape and put it on their slides?

teufeldog
01-02-09, 16:17
... deleted ...

welchtactical
01-02-09, 16:23
Bought the DVD and watched it over Exodus from the Army. Great video. Made me dig out the redi-mag again and give it another try. Reloads are fast but makes it really hard to get to the bolt release. Cant wait till they get the BAD Bolt release out, it would make the redi-mag that much faster. Any ideas on release time for it? Taking the DVD back with me, going to let some of the guys in my platoon watch it when we have time. Going to have to get myself out to a Magpul class! Need to get a class up near Charlotte NC!

oregonshooter
01-03-09, 18:59
I noticed what looked like skateboard type grip tape on Costa's Glock (17, 22 or 21 -- not sure what he is using). This seems pretty smart and functional. Is there a company that makes this stuff already cut for slides or do people just go buy grip tape / skateboard tape and put it on their slides?

It's 3m deck tape. link in this article.... http://www.oregonshooter.com/index.php/articles/view/glock_grip_work_g17

It makes a one handed rack off jeans very easy, but not on the jeans. :)

Just finished the vids. best production I've seen of any gun training vid. They pulled out the stops on using a quality production crew.

The shooters (some pretty squared away in the second vid) were being pushed outside their "box" to use Chris' term. Looking forward to taking the class when I get a chance.

T-TAC
01-03-09, 22:35
My Daughter bought me the DVD set from Brownells as a Christmas present.
probably the best gift under the tree. Lot's of good information and well worth the asking price.
Alot of people, Myself included, don't have the time or money to attend a actual class. These tapes while not as good as attending a class are a big step forward.
Everybody go to your spare coin jar. There's bound to be about $40 in there and buy these DVD's.
Money well spent!:D

Army Chief
01-04-09, 00:46
For those who like the idea of turning turn down time into training time, here is a quick iPhone/iPod option that can further maximize your return on investment:

1. Buy the Magpul DVD course from your vendor of choice. While you're at it, buy an extra set to send to someone downrange.

2. Rip all three DVDs to iTunes via Handbrake (http://www.macusersforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17503) (if you're a Mac user) or one of the many similar applications for Windows (i.e. Free Studio (http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm)) . You'll end up with around 14 files, of which all but two are around 200 mb (30 mins running time) or less.

3. The two largest files will be the Basic Carbine Course (from disc one, at around 824 mb) and the Advanced Carbine Course (from disc two, at around 605 mb). Find them, rename them for clarity (i.e. MOC and MAC), and synch one or both to your iPhone -- or iPod Touch -- depending upon your capacity. Sure, I had to delete Ironman and Saving Private Ryan to make room for everything, but hey ... we all have to make sacrifices in life.

4. The other individual files will basically be the Special Features from each respective DVD, and include the following: Magpul Dynamics Live Fire Drill, Equipment Setup - Additional Footage, Drawing the Secondary, Quick Reference Drills Breakdown, Weapons Nomenclature & Accessories, Weapons Disassembly & Maintenance, Weapons Storage & Travel, SWAT Training Trailer, Magpul DVD Promo and the startup disclaimer (x3). You can add these files as necessary/desired if you have the free space.

5. This part should be common sense, but please remain cognizant of copyright protection, as your personal backups have no business finding their way onto YouTube or anywhere else in the public domain. MDI priced this well within reach, and there is no excuse for bootlegging at their expense.

Chief

jaydoc1
01-04-09, 11:19
PLEASE, MR. COSTA... :D

I'd like to echo several earlier requests for the identity of your sling (the green one with the velcro on it). That has to be the simplest sling design I've seen and appears to work incredibly well. The several slings I have have enough extra strapping to tie myself up a few prisoners of war once they've been captured. The KISS design of the one you are using would be a welcome change to my slings.

jaydoc1
01-04-09, 11:21
PLEASE MR. COSTA...:D

I'd like to echo several earlier requests for the identity of the sling you are using (the olive drab one with the velcro). That has to be the simplest sling design I've seen and appears to work incredibly well. The several slings I have have enough extra strapping to tie myself up a few prisoners of war once they've been captured. The KISS design of the one you are using would be a welcome change to my slings.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-05-09, 00:13
I think what Chris and Travis have learned is that the DVDs should have a rollover feature to identify gear. And they thought that the gear parts were going to satisfy us, tisk, tisk.

Chris and Travis, see you guys in Pueblo West in June!

If the sling is so cool, why didn't my MPL come with it!

costa
01-05-09, 14:13
The sling I was using was a Hk 3 point sling.

I have changed this set up because I'm no longer teaching the same clients I once was that carried the HK sling set up. Basically I rigged my gun so it was close to the clients. With that said I went back to my old set up which was more direct action oriented to allow me better flexibility in movement and in gear placement.

best

wicked_police
01-05-09, 16:27
Got my set a few days ago. Watched a few clips from them, then followed Army Chief's recommendations and now have them on my ipod.

Great to watch while doing cardio(while it's -30 outside...). :D

SCULLY
01-07-09, 08:47
My DVD set arrived here in Canada, it is great and definately well worth the loot. Thanks alot MAGPUL gang.

jaydoc1
01-07-09, 16:10
The sling I was using was a Hk 3 point sling.

I have changed this set up because I'm no longer teaching the same clients I once was that carried the HK sling set up. Basically I rigged my gun so it was close to the clients. With that said I went back to my old set up which was more direct action oriented to allow me better flexibility in movement and in gear placement.

best

Thanks a lot. :)

I noticed that while you were running a three-point sling in the first two DVDs, that you had a single-point in the nomenclature section of Disk 3.

Be seeing you in June for the pistol class, as well.

panzerr
01-08-09, 10:23
Chris, Travis and the rest at Magpul- great job on the DVD. Not only did you effectively demonstrate solid techniques, but you also added sound reasons as to why a person should employ the techniques. After all, the how is of no use without the why...

As a training video, your DVD is A+, but the greatest feat of The Art of the Tactical Carbine is that it made me WANT to learn how to employ my rifle more effectively.

With that said I've got one question: what type of compensator is on Chris's SBR that he goes over in weapon's nomenclature and accessories on the 3rd disc ?

lanceriley
01-08-09, 10:34
I got my dvd through brownells... shipped it to the Philippines. Worth it! gave me a lot of insight on how to use my carbine.

Ryo
01-08-09, 18:37
Chris, Travis and the rest at Magpul- great job on the DVD. Not only did you effectively demonstrate solid techniques, but you also added sound reasons as to why a person should employ the techniques. After all, the how is of no use without the why...

As a training video, your DVD is A+, but the greatest feat of The Art of the Tactical Carbine is that it made me WANT to learn how to employ my rifle more effectively.

With that said I've got one question: what type of compensator is on Chris's SBR that he goes over in weapon's nomenclature and accessories on the 3rd disc ?

I believe it's a couple pages back, but it's a KAC inconel steel PWD break FH, but it's not a released product.

panzerr
01-08-09, 20:30
I believe it's a couple pages back, but it's a KAC inconel steel PWD break FH, but it's not a released product.

I see, thanks. I've gotta get inside the industry to test the new toys before they hit the streets.

Ryo
01-09-09, 05:42
I see, thanks. I've gotta get inside the industry to test the new toys before they hit the streets.

I'm following your way in if you find one. :D

If they gave me the stuff, I'll test the crap out of them. At work I'm always dealing with Q/A stuff. I typically try to break stuff to see where there limits are.

markm
01-14-09, 10:16
Interesting to see that Costa teaches this "shooting through the notch" (I think that's what he called it)

I never knew that this was an actual instructed technique. I've been practicing it for a few years on my own because it's about the fastest way I've found to get center of mass hits at contact distances.... even faster than when I use a dot. I have much less practice on the dot though.

teufeldog
01-14-09, 10:52
They have that SWAT trailer on one of the discs. Does anyone know when that video set will be released? Also, I'd like to see a pistol focused training video. The Carbine video set is a great training tool. It doesn't replace actually attending a session but sure helps when you don't have the funds to pack up and go to one of these great classes.

markm
01-14-09, 10:54
They have that SWAT trailer on one of the discs.

My impression of the SWAT trailer was that it was an Advertisement for Magpul Dynamics, not a new video. But maybe I misunderstood that.

It looked like there were some non - L.E. personnel in that class too. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

Ryo
01-14-09, 11:53
They have that SWAT trailer on one of the discs. Does anyone know when that video set will be released? Also, I'd like to see a pistol focused training video. The Carbine video set is a great training tool. It doesn't replace actually attending a session but sure helps when you don't have the funds to pack up and go to one of these great classes.

So true.. DVD doesn't replace the actual training.. but it will help the people who are attending to practice before going. I wouldn't mind going to the classes if they can hold it closer to home.

markm
01-14-09, 12:16
Another thing I liked about the video was that there were REAL students shooting the class.... Real students making real mistakes, etc.

I thought the video might just be a bunch of high speed operaters executing everything flawlessly.

teufeldog
01-14-09, 13:22
Another thing I liked about the video was that there were REAL students shooting the class.... Real students making real mistakes, etc.

I thought the video might just be a bunch of high speed operaters executing everything flawlessly.

On that note, I like the humility of the instructors. Chris admits that he will make mistakes, learns from them and corrects them. That is great to see/hear. When you get a "know-it-all" and a "my way is the only and best way" then ho-hum; but that is not what we got with The Art of the Tactical Carbine! :D

markm
01-14-09, 14:33
Mr. Costa needed to take that one cat's beretta and throw it in the trash. That video was an excellent illustration of how poor the beretta fills the combat pistol role.

The upside to seeing people's mistakes or bad gear choices is that you can learn from them too.

Ryo
01-14-09, 15:21
Mr. Costa needed to take that one cat's beretta and throw it in the trash. That video was an excellent illustration of how poor the beretta fills the combat pistol role.

The upside to seeing people's mistakes or bad gear choices is that you can learn from them too.

Why is the Beretta a poor fit for the combat role?

markm
01-14-09, 15:29
Why is the Beretta a poor fit for the combat role?

Did you watch that dude struggle with it? The two things that make the beretta a bad choice in my opinion are the slide mounted safety and the need to decock upon each holster. The decock was causing the guy problems. Costa had to keep telling him to do it. And it adds an extra step to the "check" drill. The last thing I would want is another step in a fast paced class like that. It causes you train wrecks.

I owned a beretta for a while, and I like the pistol for recreational shooting, and would be a decent basic defense gun. But as a secondary weapon system, it's a poor choice.

Jim D
01-14-09, 16:36
Is the 1911 also a poor secondary weapons system because it also has lever that needs to be operated prior to reholstering?

Ryo
01-14-09, 17:20
I haven't gotten the chance to watch that part. Only watched the first DVD, haven't had a chance to watch the other DVDs. :(

I have a Beretta, and don't seem to have a problem with it.. but I prefer my Sig over it any day.

Jay Cunningham
01-14-09, 17:46
Is the 1911 also a poor secondary weapons system because it also has lever that needs to be operated prior to reholstering?

The lever on a 1911 swipes on and off intuitively.

I can't say as much for the Beretta decoker/safety. It can be worked around, but it far from ideal, especially when clearing malfunctions.

Jim D
01-14-09, 18:13
The lever on a 1911 swipes on and off intuitively.

I can't say as much for the Beretta decoker/safety. It can be worked around, but it far from ideal, especially when clearing malfunctions.

I agree, but either can be dealt with through training.

The slide mounted safety/ decocker is certainly an issue when it comes to racking the slide, I agree. But in terms of simply operating the safety/ decocker...I don't see it as a huge deal. If that's what you use, get proficient with it.

markm
01-14-09, 18:37

The_Katar covered what I was going to say.... the 1911 is a completely different ball game. I'm no fan of the 1911 for serious use either, but it's no where near as bad as the beretta.

Aggressive malf clearing or empty gun reloading sucks with the beretta too. Nothing like going for that shot with a DEAD trigger.

Derek_Connor
01-14-09, 20:17
To be honest the gentleman, in the video, is a good shooter.

Alot of shit changes when they stick a camera in your face...as you could tell from my **** ups with the chamber checks...

That and the other examples of of him running the beretta shouldn't be used to draw any conclusions of one particular weapon system or the other.

And fwiw, I hate berettas. But I am sure a majority of the users here have seen end users make the beretta sing quite well.

Robb Jensen
01-14-09, 20:23
To be honest the gentleman, in the video, is a good shooter.

Alot of shit changes when they stick a camera in your face...as you could tell from my **** ups with the chamber checks...

That and the other examples of of him running the beretta shouldn't be used to draw any conclusions of one particular weapon system or the other.

And fwiw, I hate berettas. But I am sure a majority of the users here have seen end users make the beretta sing quite well.

I know the feeling. Yeah he's a pretty good shooter. ;)
I'd trust him to back me up. Even with that crazy ass painted up AR. :eek:

side note: If you're not making mistakes while you're training then it's very likely you AREN'T pushing yourself out of your comfort level....

teufeldog
01-14-09, 21:17
I think the Beretta M9, while having a more extensive, or complex manual of arms, is a fine weapon. Lots of my fellow Marines found it to be just fine. After my departure from the Corps I set out to buy one mostly because that is all I knew. I ended up buying something different and am happy that I've done so. I've also learned quite a bit more since then when it comes to secondary weapons. Are there better secondary weapons that can be used for combat? I certainly think so; but the M9 is no slouch. Looking back, I'd rather have used the Sig P226 that the Navy was using, a Glock, or one of the 1911s that the MPs were issued. :cool:

Josh-L
01-15-09, 00:19
Forgot to post in here. I finally got around to watching these last week. I work midnight shift and keep my same schedule on my days off so I sat down and watched all three start to finish. They were extremely well done. Doing it in the documentary form was a very good move. I was a little upset because I ordered it from Brownells and the DVD case was busted and the first two DVDs were scatched cause the tabs broke and they were loose but seemed to play fine. Brownells had to have noticed it when they put it in the box before they shipped it I would have thought. I also think a pistol one is a must and call dibs on hosting the basic one to be filmed!

Army Chief
01-15-09, 00:52
I think that case issue is pretty common: my "tabs" were broken off as well.

AC

5pins
01-15-09, 02:43
I think that case issue is pretty common: my "tabs" were broken off as well.

AC

So were mine.

Ryo
01-15-09, 02:52
So were mine.

Mine was not

Guess I was lucky.

Josh-L
01-15-09, 03:17
So it would appear the case is not made out of pmag material... lol!

Derek_Connor
01-15-09, 07:08
I saw Costa post this on the other forum or this one I forget which but make sure you guys who had DVDs show up all jacked up to give Magpul a ring (after shot show) and let them know and they'll take care of it, its something they want to keep tabs on and report back to the distributors.

Buckaroo
01-15-09, 07:36
I saw Costa post this on the other forum or this one I forget which but make sure you guys who had DVDs show up all jacked up to give Magpul a ring (after shot show) and let them know and they'll take care of it, its something they want to keep tabs on and report back to the distributors.

That is good to hear. My case was trashed.

Buckaroo

teufeldog
01-15-09, 09:03
That is good to hear. My case was broken (carrier hinges and case snaps). Two DVDs were scratched but the discs played fine. I made backups just to future proof them.

SilentButDeadly
01-16-09, 09:45
I just finished all three DVDs. Great work to all who were involved! I even put them on my iPhone, so I can watch them at work. :D

Quick fashion question, does anybody know what jackets Chris & Travis were wearing in the first DVD? Those things were sweet!

teufeldog
01-16-09, 11:09
Arc'Teryx Combat jackets.

Ryo
01-16-09, 11:22

Yup those are the jackets. Not cheap, and seems to be hard to find in stock.

SilentButDeadly
01-16-09, 11:26

Thanks.

diving dave
01-16-09, 13:18
Fantastic DVD! I made the mistake of loaning it to a fellow officer..been 2 weeks and I havent received it back yet....:( Dam cops.

Ryo
01-16-09, 16:16
Fantastic DVD! I made the mistake of loaning it to a fellow officer..been 2 weeks and I havent received it back yet....:( Dam cops.

File a report. ;)

CLHC
01-16-09, 22:09
Placed an order about two (2) nights ago on MAGPUL's online store and still waiting for confirmation. But with the SHOT going on now. . .Guess I'll have to wait.

Josh-L
01-16-09, 23:40
For those who like the idea of turning turn down time into training time, here is a quick iPhone/iPod option that can further maximize your return on investment:

1. Buy the Magpul DVD course from your vendor of choice. While you're at it, buy an extra set to send to someone downrange.

2. Rip all three DVDs to iTunes via Handbrake (http://www.macusersforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17503) (if you're a Mac user) or one of the many similar applications for Windows (i.e. Free Studio (http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm)) . You'll end up with around 14 files, of which all but two are around 200 mb (30 mins running time) or less.

3. The two largest files will be the Basic Carbine Course (from disc one, at around 824 mb) and the Advanced Carbine Course (from disc two, at around 605 mb). Find them, rename them for clarity (i.e. MOC and MAC), and synch one or both to your iPhone -- or iPod Touch -- depending upon your capacity. Sure, I had to delete Ironman and Saving Private Ryan to make room for everything, but hey ... we all have to make sacrifices in life.

4. The other individual files will basically be the Special Features from each respective DVD, and include the following: Magpul Dynamics Live Fire Drill, Equipment Setup - Additional Footage, Drawing the Secondary, Quick Reference Drills Breakdown, Weapons Nomenclature & Accessories, Weapons Disassembly & Maintenance, Weapons Storage & Travel, SWAT Training Trailer, Magpul DVD Promo and the startup disclaimer (x3). You can add these files as necessary/desired if you have the free space.

5. This part should be common sense, but please remain cognizant of copyright protection, as your personal backups have no business finding their way onto YouTube or anywhere else in the public domain. MDI priced this well within reach, and there is no excuse for bootlegging at their expense.

Chief

Ok, I'm trying to do this but I'm confused. There are a gazzillion choices on the Free Studio website. Which program do I need to put these in iTunes so I can put them on my iPhone?

Ryo
01-17-09, 00:06
he told you the free programis called Handbreak. I've used it for tons of my DVDs. You can even label chapters which is sweet. I typically save the videos in mpeg4 format rather than mkv format.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-17-09, 01:21

Sweet mother!! $595 for this jacket!

http://www.quanticotactical.com/graphics/91/3161_large.jpg

And it's not even bullet proof!

I don't spend that much on my suits ;)

Army Chief
01-17-09, 01:53
I use both Mac and Windows systems, but I did these conversions via Mac (and Handbrake). There are a number of one-step Windows-based solutions, but the most worthwhile ones don't tend to be free, so I didn't mention them. I have used Free Studio in the past, and it is admittedly more complicated (i.e. extra steps involved. If you're unfamiliar with the process, there are probably better applications out there, free or not.

A quick Google search for "DVD to IPod Converter" yielded many viable alternatives, including this one ...

http://www.freedvdtoipodconverter.net/

... I suppose that is where I would start, keeping in mind that once you find something that works well for you, like a "one step" program, it would be worth hanging on to, even if it cost a few bucks up front.

AC

Josh-L
01-17-09, 02:44
Thanks for the quick reply. I played with the Free Studio one after I asked and took a gamble and DL'd one of the programs that I thought it would be. I figured it out and got it to work but I guess because it's the free version and not the paid they splatter a logo across the screen of the movie so I uninstalled it all from my laptop. I will try that new one you just found.

Army Chief
01-17-09, 02:59
Sweet mother!! $595 for this jacket!

I'm not making a qualitative decision here about brand one versus another, but design-wise, the Arc'Teryx is is very similar to the TAD Gear line of jackets (http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/apparel%20main/outerwear.htm), which is somewhat more reasonably priced.

AC

Army Chief
01-17-09, 03:05
Thanks for the quick reply. I played with the Free Studio one after I asked and took a gamble and DL'd one of the programs that I thought it would be. I figured it out and got it to work but I guess because it's the free version and not the paid they splatter a logo across the screen of the movie so I uninstalled it all from my laptop. I will try that new one you just found.

In my admittedly limited experience, most of the free Windows-based converters are laced with little annoyances like this, so I just found one that worked well, and paid what they were asking for it; trouble is, it's been quite some time, and I can't remember which application it was.

I will say this, however; whatever you have to pay, and however you go about it, having these files on an iPhone or iPod is most definitely "the heat." There are many times when I simply can't drop what I'm doing to watch the DVD, but when I do have a window of opportunity to queue up the course on a mobile device. it's worth the hassle, but here's hoping that yours prove to be minimal. :)

AC

Josh-L
01-17-09, 03:16
Ok I DL'd that other one you linked to above. It was much faster to DL and seemed easier to use but it did the same thing and put a "watermark" on the video. This one only said "Trial Version" and wasn't that annoying. That other one had writing all over the screen. The full version is only $30 so I'm going to play with it some more and then I probably will just get the paid version.

Army Chief
01-17-09, 03:40
Ok I DL'd that other one you linked to above. It was much faster to DL and seemed easier to use but it did the same thing and put a "watermark" on the video. This one only said "Trial Version" and wasn't that annoying. That other one had writing all over the screen. The full version is only $30 so I'm going to play with it some more and then I probably will just get the paid version.

Probably not a bad idea, Josh, when you consider that you'll have the ability to do this same conversion process for any DVD that you might otherwise wish to make portable ... like the oft-requested Art of the Tactical Carbine II, for example. :)

Bottom line? The hassle-free capability from this point forward is probably worth the 30 bucks.

AC

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-17-09, 10:36
I'm not making a qualitative decision here about brand one versus another, but design-wise, the Arc'Teryx is is very similar to the TAD Gear line of jackets (http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/apparel%20main/outerwear.htm), which is somewhat more reasonably priced.

AC

Thanks AC. I just bought a pretty nice Eddie bauer jacket, in orange and brighter orange- not very discreet but its new, otherwise I might try one of these. I can never find a perfect jacket shell- IE not that hot, and with pockets in the right place. I like two chest pockets so I can "hang" my hands in them while standing (I know not very tactical for a hard target). That and it seems the lifetime waterproof stuff only lasts a year for me.

Plus I don't think my wife will let me wear a velcro'd "FromMyColdDeadHand" name tape, or a "Got MILF" patch like Derek's (yes, i watch the video too much) and the patch points.

Army Chief
01-17-09, 11:04
Just get a nametape that reads "FMCDH," and everybody gets to be happy. Problem solved. ;)

I generally wore a reversed IR flag on the right, and that was it until my son gave me a small ACU/foliage Magpul patch over the Christmas holiday. I'm not really into the whole "walking billboard" thing, but the Magpul guys rate some guerrila advertising in my book, so it's been riding along on the left for the past few weeks.

The patch has a pretty MILSPEC appearance, and I'm always amused when the boys at work see it and ask me "hey sir, what unit is that?" I keep threatening to wear it in place of my combat patch one of these days just to see if anyone notices. Of course, one of the benefits of being a warrant officer is that, even if they do notice, they will probably know better than to say anything. LOL

AC

Ryo
01-17-09, 21:10
did you guys try handbreak? It a free program and does a great job converting to right format for iPod/iPhone. Also it keeps the chapter bookmarks so you can jump around. Also it let's you manually add names for the chapters so you can pop up the chapter list on the iPod touch/iPhone.

Other program I use is Super, but I use it for convention from one video format to another. Its free.

There might be a learning curve on some of them, but do a google search for tutorials to use the program to convert to iphone format.

Josh-L
01-17-09, 22:41
I didn't even look at Handbrake because he originally said it was for Mac. I was talking to a buddy of mine tonight though and he said they make a Windows version. I'm going to try and DL it tonight and play with it cause he said the free version doesn't have any "watermarks" on it.

Ryo
01-18-09, 01:05
Handbreak is also for the PC.. and it's remarkable. It works for just about all my DVD. Since you can label your own chapters which would work with the iPhone/Touch, I always use this program first. I don't know of any other program that makes chapters for the iPhone/Touch.. at least not yet.

Army Chief
01-18-09, 01:44
I went back and looked, and my Windows machine uses a paid version of FreeStudio. The Mac uses Handbrake, obviously, but I didn't even realize that there was a Windows version of that until Ryo mentioned it. That would definitely solve the problem, and it might also help my original instructions to make more sense with regard to how things should be organized and renamed, since I was using Handbrake at the time in order to do it.

AC

markm
01-18-09, 09:00

AC

So there's shit MORE ridiculously priced than TAD GEAR out there? :eek:

Army Chief
01-18-09, 10:00
I'm no expert, but if the Arc'Teryx is truly $595, as reported above, then I guess I would have to say "yes" -- especially if you can catch TAD in transition, as they often knock $100 or more off of the obsolete versions of their apparel items.

AC

SilentButDeadly
01-18-09, 14:42
I'm no expert, but if the Arc'Teryx is truly $595, as reported above, then I guess I would have to say "yes" -- especially if you can catch TAD in transition, as they often knock $100 or more off of the obsolete versions of their apparel items.

AC

The Arc-Teryx Combat jacket is about $250, if you can find it in stock somewhere.

http://www.shadowenterprises.net/detail.aspx?ID=914

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-18-09, 15:10
I don't know if that was Chris' jacket, it was just one I found on the sight I like.

Ryo
01-19-09, 23:06
Well someone PM me about handbrake for the PC.. I gave him steps what to do.. so I may as well post it here.

------------------------------------

This is what I do using Handbrake:
1. Start Handbrake
2. Click on the right side the Preset for "iPhone & iPod Touch"
3. upper left, button called Source. Click it, select DVD/VIdeo TS
4. Navigate to your DVD drive. Select the VIDEO_TS directory (ie My Computer\D:\VIDEO_TS
5. Wait for scanning to be complete
6. Destination section click Browse.
7. Select location and name to save file as.. then click Save button
8. Output Settings, change "M4V File" to "MP4 File"
9. On tabs (below Output Settings), click "Video" tab.
10. (Optional) click check box "2-Pass Encoding" and "Turbo First Pass"
11. (Optional) Click "Chapters" tab and relabel all chapters to the correct name
12. Press the start button on the top.

Note this might take a while. Be sure to shutdown other applications running if your computer isn't very good. It might take a while. Intel processors does a faster job of encoding, but AMD processors will do fine.

Hope this helps.

Ryo
01-19-09, 23:07
I don't know if that was Chris' jacket, it was just one I found on the sight I like.

No that was not his jacket. As someone pointed out, he has the Combat Jacket. It's like 1/2 the cost of the jacket you selected.

NeverForget
01-21-09, 14:05
This is the jacket that Chris and Travis wore. (http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Combat-Jacket.asp)

Any word on when "The Art of the Tactical Carbine Volume II" will be available?:confused:

*Edit: Link fixed. Sorry for that.

teufeldog
01-21-09, 14:08
Are you sure you got that link right? :confused:

Jay Cunningham
01-21-09, 14:10
I'm curious if anyone posting in this thread is going to meander back toward actually discussing training and tactics?

Just thinking out loud.

ZDL
01-21-09, 14:11
Are you sure you got that link right? :confused:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAH BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHH BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHAAHH

ZDL
01-21-09, 14:12
I'm curious if anyone posting in this thread is going to meander back toward actually discussing training and tactics?

Just thinking out loud.

It's the magpul fashion show in here. :p

I watched disc 2 again last night, this time taking notes for my range session this saturday.

markm
01-21-09, 14:22

Just thinking out loud.

I was wondering the same friggin thing. This thread keeps popping up, but for no good reason. :mad:

markm
01-21-09, 14:29
I watched disc 2 again last night, this time taking notes for my range session this saturday.

Indeed. I think most of use have had similar training and drills in our own areas. There's nothing drastically different in the material. But it's nice to refresh on the video and go practice what you've been shown when you're fresh and ready to go.

I know I watched it, and got out and did some drills.... POORLY!! :p

Costa is masterful at weapons manipulations. I HATE PRACTICING THAT! It bores me to tears.

UDT
01-21-09, 16:26
This is the jacket that Chris and Travis wore. (http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Combat-Jacket.asp)

Any word on when "The Art of the Tactical Carbine Volume II" will be available?:confused:

*Edit: Link fixed. Sorry for that.

March is the expected release date for Volume II.

NeverForget
01-21-09, 17:48
Excellent. Thanks.

theJanitor
01-21-09, 17:58

Just thinking out loud.

So has anyone gone to a single point sling after watching the vid? I changed to one (from a vickers/blue force) after Travis showed me some limitations and Eric Torres demonstrated how to use one well.

Ryo
01-21-09, 18:38
So has anyone gone to a single point sling after watching the vid? I changed to one (from a vickers/blue force) after Travis showed me some limitations and Eric Torres demonstrated how to use one well.

I started on single point and kept on using it.. so no. Just note that there are some disadvantages on single point as well, but over all I like single point. I'll probably try the Vicker's 2 point since it came with my new rifle, just to see if it's any good.

NCPatrolAR
01-21-09, 19:02

Havent watched the DVDs (and dont care to) but I doubt there is anything that would cause me to go back to a single point. I used one for about 3 years and I changed from it for a reason. :)

ZDL
01-21-09, 20:21
Havent watched the DVDs (and dont care to) but I doubt there is anything that would cause me to go back to a single point. I used one for about 3 years and I changed from it for a reason. :)

You win the vague award.....

1. Why don't you care to watch the dvd's?

2. Why did you change from a 1 point?

NCPatrolAR
01-21-09, 21:27
You win the vague award.....

1. Why don't you care to watch the dvd's?

No desire. Seems like a lot of flash and nothing new. If someone wants to lend me the DVDs I might watch them, but I'm not shelling out my cash for them.

2. Why did you change from a 1 point?

No plus over an adjustable 2 point other than bilateral shooting (if you are into that). I got tired of the long gun (shotgun or rifle) flopping around when going to a secondary, fighting with someone, etc. The two point enables the gun to stay tighter to my body than the single point. Also, I dont care for mounting a sling at the rear of the reciever which is pretty much mandatory when using a single point.

ZDL
01-21-09, 21:38
No desire. Seems like a lot of flash and nothing new. If someone wants to lend me the DVDs I might watch them, but I'm not shelling out my cash for them.

A bit narrow minded. But to each...

No plus over an adjustable 2 point other than bilateral shooting (if you are into that). I got tired of the long gun (shotgun or rifle) flopping around when going to a secondary, fighting with someone, etc. The two point enables the gun to stay tighter to my body than the single point. Also, I dont care for mounting a sling at the rear of the reciever which is pretty much mandatory when using a single point.

I'm not sure if "im into that" concerning bilateral shooting but if the situation calls for it... I suppose it doesn't matter what "im into".

I understand it flopping around. I agree with you there but each method has it's sacrifices and that one, personally I can live with.

Whats the issue with the end of the receiver?

NCPatrolAR
01-21-09, 21:43
A bit narrow minded. But to each...

Actually I'm pretty open-minded. I'm also highly selective of where my money goes and what it goes for.

I'm not sure if "im into that" concerning bilateral shooting but if the situation calls for it... I suppose it doesn't matter what "im into".

I drill bilateral shooting as I see it as a needed skill. However I can do it from a two point if the situation presents itself.

Whats the issue with the end of the receiver?

Gets in the way; espeically if using a shotgun.

Matt Edwards
01-21-09, 22:07
After training with these guys, I still have to get off my 4th point of contact and get the vids. God knows I can't get enough of "pig pen", taped shoes and all. It would be good for sustainment training.

normal
01-21-09, 22:36

I've always used 2 points, because I don't like the floppiness of the 1 points. After watching the vids I was very tempted to switch. I think that the new Magpul system that was introduced at SHOT that transitions from a 1 point to a 2 point is going to be the answer. It has the best of both worlds. The easy manuevering of the 1 point and the stability of the 2 point. I am anxiously awaiting.

teufeldog
01-21-09, 23:30
.... I'm also highly selective of where my money goes and what it goes for.

Damn, I wish I could say that about myself. :mad:

markm
01-22-09, 08:15
I've always used 2 points, because I don't like the floppiness of the 1 points. After watching the vids I was very tempted to switch.

I think there's an over emphasis on the need to be able to go support side for the average citizen.

I do practice support side shooting, but for non SWAT types or people not doing door to doors in Iraq, I think the need to be able to instantly transition is overblown.

LOKNLOD
01-22-09, 08:42
I think there's an over emphasis on the need to be able to go support side for the average citizen.

I do practice support side shooting, but for non SWAT types or people not doing door to doors in Iraq, I think the need to be able to instantly transition is overblown.

I'm on the verge of being out of my lane here, but I agree. I also think matching the sling to the rifle is a factor -- a single point doesn't make as much sense on my 16" middy as it would on an 10.5" SBR.

Jay Cunningham
01-22-09, 11:10
I'm on the verge of being out of my lane here, but I agree. I also think matching the sling to the rifle is a factor -- a single point doesn't make as much sense on my 16" middy as it would on an 10.5" SBR.

I agree with matching the sling to both the rifle and the mission. The VCAS does this very well generally speaking, but the new MagPul sling may also fill a niche here.

I am also unconvinced that "instant" shoulder transitions are a necessary thing to practice at - in a dynamic environment I wouldn't be wasting time with it. It (weak side shooting) is a tool that one needs to be familiar with though, no doubt.

Kaos
01-22-09, 11:27
I agree with matching the sling to both the rifle and the mission. The VCAS does this very well generally speaking, but the new MagPul sling may also fill a niche here.

I am also unconvinced that "instant" shoulder transitions are a necessary thing to practice at - in a dynamic environment I wouldn't be wasting time with it. It (weak side shooting) is a tool that one needs to be familiar with though, no doubt.

I think the VCAS/Boonie Packer style slings are fine for support/weak side transitions, you just need to practice it....doing it without knowing that you have to adjust the sling first could find you choking yourself with your sling.

Derek_Connor
01-22-09, 19:05
After training with these guys, I still have to get off my 4th point of contact and get the vids. God knows I can't get enough of "pig pen", taped shoes and all. It would be good for sustainment training.

BOOM.

CLHC
01-24-09, 16:03
Finally received the DVDs! ! ! :D

Ryo
01-24-09, 17:47
Finally received the DVDs! ! ! :D

And soon to be another happy customer. :D

CLHC
01-24-09, 19:33
Discs 1 and 2 work fine and must say, very informative. Many points to consider. Now, for some reason or another, Disc.3 doesn't work? :(

Ryo
01-24-09, 20:09
Discs 1 and 2 work fine and must say, very informative. Many points to consider. Now, for some reason or another, Disc.3 doesn't work? :(

Check for scratches? Some people had issues about that.

CLHC
01-24-09, 20:24
The Disc is as clean as can be. Besides, like precision optics, I don't "finger" the surface. Really nit-picky about that. . .Will call Magpul on Monday.

gunner757
01-25-09, 14:50
Awesome dvds. Definitely money well spent. I think i have watched them at least ten times. Looking forward to seeing more from these guys.

Ryo
01-25-09, 15:18
Well Travis said the next DVD is going to be even better..

Can't wait!

fatmoocow
01-28-09, 11:26
Chris fantastic video. Two questions:

How do you find the time to train, teach and star in those oxyclean commercials? Also where can I get whatever coffee you drink in the morning?

Can't wait for DVDII as well as numerous other things you guys are brewing. I'd also suggest for the next series:

pistol
long range
night shooting
indoor

Honestly I'd buy a DVD for $40 every month if you could come up with new stuff that often. Another idea, take 5 minutes and walk through all the specific gear you are running in any future vids. The overall analysis for choosing gear was great, but eventually people will want to know make and model of everything you've got down to your underwear.

Ryo
01-28-09, 13:14
I want to take a class.. Get over the west coast more often..

But not CA.. WA or OR is better..

gunner757
02-03-09, 20:13
anyone heard about another dvd coming out? I heard a rumor that another one will be released Marchishh... Can anyone shed some light?

LOKNLOD
02-03-09, 20:19
anyone heard about another dvd coming out?

They were showing a trailer for Art of the Tactical Carbine II at SHOT show. Not sure of any release dates.

gunner757
02-03-09, 20:20
Awesome... I am looking forward to it.

lanceriley
02-03-09, 22:42
yes... Im waiting for the next dvd too

gunner757
02-04-09, 12:17
Does anyone know where the art of the tactical carbine 2 trailer is posted, if anywhere? I checked youtube but no luck... Thanks.

Vendetta
02-08-09, 16:17
I have a bug out to see if there are any shipping issues...but all should be moving just fine.

As for the gear I will try to hit it all...I apologize if I miss some...

-Attire: Mountain Hard wear shirts most of the time and Arc'Teryx Combat jackets and Oakley boots.

-No the pants are not a Magpul Prototype (but great idea) they are Carhearts and Wrangler carpenter pants.

-Weapons: Travis: Stealth upper with 11.0 LaRue rail and KX3 and the other was a Knights SBR
-Weapons: Chris: KAC SBR with URX rail.

-The sling plate is called (for now) the ASAP plate. Ambi sling attachment point. More info will be out soon;)

-The BAD (battery Assist Lever) is only a Patent pending prototype but unfortunately not in production right now.

-Holsters: Bladetechs and Safariland 6004s

-Mag pouches: Bladetech and BAE systems Eclipse line M4 speed pouches.

-Aimpoint T-1's and ML3's

-Most all LaRue Mounts except for Chris Knights Aimpoint mount... but we are running all T-1s on LaRue high mounts now.

What belt was Chris running? I can't remember if there was a difference between disc 1 or 2, but I'm referring to the coyote one from disc 2. Very good DVD, gives me something to practice with using dry runs.

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
02-08-09, 17:55
Does anyone know where the art of the tactical carbine 2 trailer is posted, if anywhere? I checked youtube but no luck... Thanks.

Gunner its not posted yet... We will not post it until we know a release date. but keep an out out...maybe this month...;)

gunner757
02-08-09, 18:07
Travis,
Thanks... Looking forward to it. Also, i was wondering how quickly your classes fill up. I see there is one in May in Culpepper virginia that i was interested in attending, however it is hard for me to know what my schedule will be like that far out... Thanks.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-08-09, 23:28
Can't wait for the second set. I'm happy as heck with the first, but I've seen Costa say that he thought it could be better. All I cna say is wow.

markm
02-09-09, 09:02
What belt was Chris running?

NO MORE FASHION QUESTIONS!! :p

Vendetta
02-09-09, 12:15
Yes, I do appologize for that, should not have cluttered the thread anymore.

Now as far as training goes, is there a possibility for a handgun video being put out at all?

Ryo
02-09-09, 12:45
What brand of underwear do they run?

Oh wait.. I don't think I want to know that. :eek:

LOKNLOD
02-09-09, 13:09
Now as far as training goes, is there a possibility for a handgun video being put out at all?

I think that would be great! But...it sure seems that pistol instruction would be much harder to do by video. There's so much more opportunity to get the very basic core fundamentals of pistol shooting wrong in ways that really need a good instructor to see you shooting to diagnose...

Kaos
02-09-09, 13:36
NO MORE FASHION QUESTIONS!! :p

Seriously though.

Who trims the beard? I need those shoes too. ;)

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
02-13-09, 01:15
Travis,
Thanks... Looking forward to it. Also, i was wondering how quickly your classes fill up. I see there is one in May in Culpepper virginia that i was interested in attending, however it is hard for me to know what my schedule will be like that far out... Thanks.

You bet, Are classes are filling very fast... most all of our classes out to Sept are mostly or completly full. I would have to double check but I think the VA class is Half or a little bit more full.

Irish
02-17-09, 14:50
Just purchased the videos from a local dealer and was really impressed with them. I think it serves as a good pre-training DVD for people who've never been to a live training class and a great refresher for those who haven't been in a while. The videos not only go over the basics of combat zeroing a rifle, basic shooting skills, "running & gunning", they also cover basic lube & maintenance, common terminology and some gear selection as well. The drill section also really reminded me of how much I do need to get back to basics and get into the practice mode.
My wife watched the 1st one with me and stayed pretty interested with 1 funny comment about Costa, "Man, that guy's intense!", which pretty much sets the tone for all of the videos.
All in all I'd say it's money well spent and I look forward to the next ones... Thanks and keep up the good work!

CAPT KIRK
02-25-09, 11:08
NEWS!!!!!!

Had the pleasure of meeting Chris Costa and Travis Haley the other day.

The NEWS in this is that Chris told me they are working on a new DVD that will encompass much more Dynamic and Exciting footage. The current ones are more along the lines of "Training". It was my understanding the new one will be more of a putting it all together and showing a lot of advanced level action.

No release date given, apparently still in the editting stage.

gunner757
02-25-09, 11:34
That is good news. I am impatiently waiting:p... Hopefully it comes out before i wear the finish off of the first set of dvds from watching them too much. I still find myself picking up new little things everytime i watch them. Good stuff!!

EchoFox
02-25-09, 16:27
Good news indeed - hope there will be a Bluray version. ;)

lanceriley
02-25-09, 16:56
i guess that's why my email got un answered... i'll be waiting for the new video :p

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-27-09, 19:10
Gunner its not posted yet... We will not post it until we know a release date. but keep an out out...maybe this month...;)

You have 18 hours and counting :D

I'd let her rip if the trailer is in the can. Everyone knows that stuff gets delayed.

Is the New sling the first "Magpul Dynamics" braned product?

CCFP
02-28-09, 15:17
I really enjoyed the training video, hoping for more. Being not American, (in this case Canadian) this is the best I can hope for. Courses like this just aren't available up here to non military/LE. The bigger American training facilities seem to exclude us as well...........frustrating! This stuff is great though! Keep it coming.

RichFitz
02-28-09, 15:37
I really enjoyed the training video, hoping for more. Being not American, (in this case Canadian) this is the best I can hope for. Courses like this just aren't available up here to non military/LE. The bigger American training facilities seem to exclude us as well...........frustrating! This stuff is great though! Keep it coming.

FYI -ITAR covers the training of foreign nationals on US soil as well as exports.

CCFP
02-28-09, 16:01
Yes, I'm aware of that. It's no less frustrating though. I guess I just don't feel quite that "FOREIGN". Hmmm, a Syrian vs me. A loyal, law abiding citizen of my country... a friend of your country. I don't agree with the comparison. Canadian sport shooters are no threat to anyone.

Signel
03-04-09, 12:28
Great video! So it is march and still no word on the new DVD.

The only thing I noticed about the first DVD was that sometimes Chris gets to screaming so loud that I had to turn it down a bit on my blackberry/headphones.

FYI, I used DVDFab Pro to rip my DVD's to small AVI files for my phone. Nothing better than watching tactical reloads while dive bombing the office toilets.

costa
03-05-09, 05:02
First, I'm not feeling to comfortable with you taking DVD (ME) to the bathroom. If we were eating together in a fancy restaurant and you said hey costa I have to go to the bathroom would you like to tag along I would say (NO), and so would DVD(ME). Female bathrooms no problem. LOL

I hope all is well gent's

c

Robb Jensen
03-05-09, 05:42

The only thing I noticed about the first DVD was that sometimes Chris gets to screaming so loud that I had to turn it down a bit on my blackberry/headphones.

FYI, I used DVDFab Pro to rip my DVD's to small AVI files for my phone. Nothing better than watching tactical reloads while dive bombing the office toilets.

I agree with Costa, something about that just ain't right. :eek:

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-05-09, 07:15
I'm just thinking about the second DVD where Costa is yelling "Decock, Decock, decock!!", "Look at Alan over here, oil'n her up", "Look at you two over here, both fingering your stuff", and "I call this shooting out of the notch".

Hope you have earphones.

Yea, I can remember most of the dialouge from the DVDs, but I have no clue what my wife said at dinner last night.

David Thomas
03-05-09, 09:06
I'm just thinking about the second DVD where Costa is yelling "Decock, Decock, decock!!", "Look at Alan over here, oil'n her up", "Look at you two over here, both fingering your stuff", and "I call this shooting out of the notch".

Hope you have earphones.

Yea, I can remember most of the dialouge from the DVDs, but I have no clue what my wife said at dinner last night.

damn that is funny!

neodecker
03-06-09, 18:18
I need to stop reading this forum when I'm eating...:)

chooy721
03-08-09, 15:04
Chris or Travis.

I just bought my DVD. It came in the mail and I have thoroughly enjoyed the info present. However, the first disc has a scratch. I probably just need to call Magpul and get a new one sent. Other than that its a wonderful vid and I will be taking a class soon. Thanks

Derek_Connor
03-08-09, 15:53
Chris or Travis.

I just bought my DVD. It came in the mail and I have thoroughly enjoyed the info present. However, the first disc has a scratch. I probably just need to call Magpul and get a new one sent. Other than that its a wonderful vid and I will be taking a class soon. Thanks

Yeah give magpul a call, they want to know about these type of things so they can log/report it to the maker/distributor of the DVDs...

SwatDawg15
03-09-09, 01:41
The DVD cases are not that great. I have ordered two sets and both came sealed in plastic. Opened and the disks were loose, and one of the cases center divider was broken. The movies worked fine, even with the scratches. Not sure who you guys use fr the cases, but they need a bit more QC, s there have been alot of reports of the center divider being broke upon arrival.

Just a heads up.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-09-09, 02:33
Hmm, I have mine vertical in my briefcase, that I abuse when I travel, and haven't had them come loose. Those UPS guys must be animals?

losbronces
03-09-09, 10:34
The DVD cases are not that great. I have ordered two sets and both came sealed in plastic. Opened and the disks were loose, and one of the cases center divider was broken. The movies worked fine, even with the scratches. Not sure who you guys use fr the cases, but they need a bit more QC, s there have been alot of reports of the center divider being broke upon arrival.

Just a heads up.

I recieved one that was broken and another that was not. The broken case was so bad that it go tossed and the DVDs went into a sleeve-type carrier. The DVDs work though.

CCFP
03-09-09, 11:06
My case had a broken closure tab. Disk 1 had a circular abrasion on it, but it plays just fine.

madisonsfinest
03-09-09, 11:37
Great discs! A closure tab on my dvd case broke after first opening it. Not worried about it, but its odd to hear so many complaints

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 12:20

Here is a sneak peek ;)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Misc/combine.jpg

Hope to see you guys in October with Mathew and MAST if I can get my leave rotation worked out....

Ryo
03-09-09, 12:44
Here is a sneak peek ;)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Misc/combine.jpg

Hope to see you guys in October with Mathew and MAST if I can get my leave rotation worked out....

LOL..

BTW I bought mine a while ago and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.. no issues with case or DVD.

Spoon
03-10-09, 00:57
Haha, awesome photo. Mine were scratched to. Oh well..they worked great. Now they sit in my Iphone :D

JLM
03-10-09, 05:10
What belt was Chris running? I can't remember if there was a difference between disc 1 or 2, but I'm referring to the coyote one from disc 2. Very good DVD, gives me something to practice with using dry runs.

Not sure about Chris but it looks like Travis was running a SOE Riggers belt on Disc 1?

"Mother of GOD, get a mag in that gun!" That was priceless :D

You guys did a great job, kudos to you!

Jerm
03-10-09, 18:52
Mine had some broken tabs and a couple segments on disc one wouldnt play from a scratch.The replacement had a case that was in even worse shape,disc's played fine though.

Great videos and Magpul took care of it promptly.They sent me the new set with a return shiping label for the first.:)

neodecker
03-10-09, 19:32
My case was crushed and the first disk had a scratch ring around the middle.

Stickman
03-10-09, 23:11
My case was crushed and the first disk had a scratch ring around the middle.

What did Magpul say when you called them?

neodecker
03-10-09, 23:33
I didn't I just used my DVD buffer on it, And I haven't had any trouble with it.

RE4
03-11-09, 21:58
Chris -

I've been trying to figure out what is the compensator that you have on the very first rifle that you show on the 'weapons nomenclature and accessory' section?

heres a picture (not the LEDS to the left of it)

http://web.me.com/tbone89/uploaded_pics/Blank_7_files/1.jpg

I watched the video and I am amazed at the seemingly zero recoil on it- outside of this comp did you do anything else (increase buffer weight ?) to the rifle?

Iraq Ninja
03-11-09, 22:24
I think that is the one from KAC. From what I remember, it is not available, and would be very costly to make. I think his body positioning, form, and skill has more to do with it than the comp.

Magsz
03-11-09, 23:30
I think that is the one from KAC. From what I remember, it is not available, and would be very costly to make. I think his body positioning, form, and skill has more to do with it than the comp.

Well said. You did leave one thing out though. Chris Costa's eyes are produced by Aimpoint. They're actually C1's, or Costa 1's. Miniaturized biomechanical T1's.

There's a couple threads on this break over on the other forum if you want to look it up.

As far as i remember, i believe they said that IF these things are produced they are going to be in the 300-500 dollar range.

There's also a picture of that monster firing at night in the Training section...its beastly to say the least.

Ryo
03-12-09, 00:42
Definitely it was the KAC, and they might not make it due to costs. Surprising how much it would cost to make one of those.. didn't realize it would cost that much.

esskay
03-12-09, 01:44
As far as i remember, i believe they said that IF these things are produced they are going to be in the 300-500 dollar range.

Holy cow, are they made of depleted uranium?!

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-12-09, 09:02
There's also a picture of that monster firing at night in the Training section...its beastly to say the least.

Not much of a flash hider then? Is it meant more as a brake and suppressor mount? I guess you would just put the suppressor on if you want to suppress the muzzle flash. It does look cool.

Isn't it Inconel steel?

Magsz
03-12-09, 12:44
Yes, apparently they are inconel.

As far as what its design purpose is, im not qualified to answer that, i dont know enough about it and what i do know about it is second hand information from what ive read from KevinB's posts on the other forum.

From what Chris has personally said about the device i believe it to be a muzzle break only but i could be wrong.

Kevin, could you possibly chime in if you get time and if it pertains to the thread without derailing this one too much.

esskay
03-12-09, 19:15
Yes, apparently they are inconel.

As far as what its design purpose is, im not qualified to answer that, i dont know enough about it and what i do know about it is second hand information from what ive read from KevinB's posts on the other forum.

From what Chris has personally said about the device i believe it to be a muzzle break only but i could be wrong.

Kevin, could you possibly chime in if you get time and if it pertains to the thread without derailing this one too much.

Interesting, found this description of inconel steel. Would be curious to know why such a premium metal might be spec'ed out for a muzzle device.

Inconel (tm)
Inconel (tm) is a specialty alloy that uses higher percentages of Nickel and Chrome than Stainless steel, as well as many other elements in small quantities. It is actually a trademark name of Inco Alloys International and is in a group of metals known as the Nickel based super alloys. These small additions of other elements is solid-solution hardening. It is quite expensive and therefore usually reserved for applications when some type of stainless steel won't suffice. The following tables compare Inconels (tm) properties.

sorry about thread drift...

LOKNLOD
03-13-09, 09:28
Interesting, found this description of inconel steel. Would be curious to know why such a premium metal might be spec'ed out for a muzzle device.

I'm sorta venturing out of my lane here, but I believe that muzzle brake design is built specifically to work with their suppressor and deflect/redirect much of the blast on a short barrel in a manner that protects the baffles. The very high pressure/velocity/temperature gasses can rapidly erode lesser materials in high volumes of fire. IIRC the suppressor internals are Iconel as well.

And after watching Chris run the thing in the video, I think he could probably mount a brake backwards and upside down and still make it look like he's shooting a BB gun.

Irish
03-13-09, 09:33

I work in the severe service control valve industry and we use inconel when making parts that will receive alot of wear and tear, erosion from particulate matter, etc. It's very hard and very durable and we use it in gas rigs and things of that nature that are passing alot of sand, metal, etc. with the gases.

KevinB
03-13-09, 15:40
Hey guys, Chris Costa directed me to this thread.

We call this the Triple Tap P/N 21385G Enhanced Compensator

We are doing a limited run of 100 of these items for civilian release, with the potnetial for more if these sell quickly.

Intially it was designed as a sacrificial blast baffle and brake for the SR25 Battle Rifle 14.5 7.62 gun, it transfered to the 16" BR - and then to the 5.56mm rifles and PDW.

as per Trey Knight

There will be no warranty on this item and even though it will accept a M4-QD/NT4 can we do not recommend any kind of heavy usage with a can. I know this is a hot item and I know you guy's want them. The non- inconel version is the answer to this market and it is not ready yet. We(KAC) are focused on bringing more SR-15s to the commercial market so customers don't have to pay $3000 for them. Other projects will take a back seat until that happens. Please understand we are working as hard as we can to make you guy's happy and satisfy our military contracts

The reason there is no warrantee is the fact you could easily put it inside a NT-4 and if you ran it really really hard you could rupture it inside the suppressor.

Its unlikley - but it has happened, and as such we are being very careful about releasing it to the civilian market place.

There is a large demand for this, but keep in mind it will be expensive, we are trying to hold retail under $500, but at this point due to the inconel, and the EDM machining needed to work this, it is an expensive part to manufacturer.

I have a few of these, I love them, and I will be sitting in line for at least two more when they are released.

* These need to be cleaned - or you get a large carbon buildup - and you will get the fireball that was present in Chris Costa's gun recently.

coldblue - LtCol Dave Lutz - removes his prior to cleaning so as not to add more carbon and filth build up.

I recommend soaking the muzzle end in a solvent tank or ultra-sonic cleaner if you do not wish to removed the Triple Tap

When I remove them and soak in solvent - I then take a wire brush and srub the inside to clean out any caked on carbon or copper buildup.

Magsz
03-13-09, 16:00
Kevin,

Thanks for the info, always a pleasure reading info direct from the source.

Correct me if im wrong but as i understand it the flash hider was designed as a sacrificial item to prevent the can from going boom instead? If so, how exactly does that work without damaging the can as well?

KevinB
03-14-09, 16:04
The FH/Comp simply protects the life of the Can due to lessening the blast that the suppressors baffles take. acting as the initial blast baffle. It can extend the life of the supressor by multiples.
However if you kick the piss out of it (run a few Beta mags) etc. it can blow out into the can, then your can and your FH are done.

wicked_police
03-14-09, 18:16
Damn.

I (along with probably most on this forum,) REALLY want one of those little beauties.

Even if the chance of me running a can on my non-work guns are slim and none. And slim is leaving town. :p

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-14-09, 19:24
So, it enhances the life of the suppressor, unless it blows up and destroys the suppressor? I'm assuming that a SA gun wouldn't be a problem, it would be in FA guns run silly? I guess I won't put it on my SAW ;)

Is it that good of a compensator?

Man, one of those would really finish off my Noveske Magpul Reece rifle ;)

At $500, I'll wait for the non-Inconel version though.

Just think, a shoebox full of flashhiders would be worth $50,000.

el guapo
03-14-09, 22:36
One thing I noticed during the video was no push / pull during magazine changes. Is this not something you guys (Magpul Dynamics) stress? I signed up for your July class in Portland. Cant wait.

KevinB
03-15-09, 07:51
So, it enhances the life of the suppressor, unless it blows up and destroys the suppressor? I'm assuming that a SA gun wouldn't be a problem, it would be in FA guns run silly? I guess I won't put it on my SAW ;)

Is it that good of a compensator?

Man, one of those would really finish off my Noveske Magpul Reece rifle ;)

At $500, I'll wait for the non-Inconel version though.

Just think, a shoebox full of flashhiders would be worth $50,000.

I've put one on a SAW and a Stoner LMG with no problems, and a NT-3 - however this is an area where we want to be clear we do not recommend it. Since we cannot control the item after it leaves the factory, and what you do to it, this is why we are not recommending or warranteeing it for using an NT4 or NT3 Suppressor.

decodeddiesel
03-30-09, 12:36
Heck I might as well ask this here since I don't know where else to ask. What is the song and composer of the music which is playing during the DVD menu of the movie? I would check my copy, but my "buddy" from work "borrowed" it and hasn't returned it yet. :D

Magsz
03-30-09, 13:32
Heck I might as well ask this here since I don't know where else to ask. What is the song and composer of the music which is playing during the DVD menu of the movie? I would check my copy, but my "buddy" from work "borrowed" it and hasn't returned it yet. :D

Oddly enough, ive been hearing that music all over the place. I heard it on the discovery channel a couple weeks ago and in a video game trailer i THINK.

costa
03-31-09, 20:22
new DVD teaser is up

Signel
03-31-09, 20:25
bust em!

decodeddiesel
03-31-09, 20:30
new DVD teaser is up

Got Link? ;)

nickdrak
03-31-09, 20:32
new DVD teaser is up

What!?! Where!?!:confused:

Signel
03-31-09, 21:24
"This video has been removed by the user."

uhh.. hmm.

Pat.c
03-31-09, 21:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix3KMlp3-vY&feature=channel_page

Ryo
03-31-09, 21:45
Sweet.. thanks!

snake.doctor
04-14-09, 15:56
Hi everybody,

I'm from Switzerland, and a few weeks ago a friend of mine in the US told me about some DVD I should get and watch... Now it's done and I must come and say a big "Good Job" to the Magpul team, and especially to Mr. Haley and Costa, for their outstanding "The Art of Tactical Carbine" DVD. It was a pleasure to see professionals not wanting students to do specific drills and techniques, considering that some might not like them, nor be good with them. They know that everyone must find "his" way to use the drills learned, and that's a very good thing.

For those who don't know, Switzerland is probably the last country with a gun-friendly law in Europe. We can get pretty much everything we want, but the thing we are missing here is weapon courses such as the ones provided by Magpul Dynamics or other people with experience.

Now I'm looking forward to discover the volume 2, I'm sure it will be even better than the volume 1.

Thank you again for your work Mr. Costa and Haley. Your experience is truly appreciated.

And if you don't mind me asking, are you planning to teach some techniques with other weapon systems than the AR15 ?

Regards

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
04-19-09, 16:21
Hi everybody,

I'm from Switzerland, and a few weeks ago a friend of mine in the US told me about some DVD I should get and watch... Now it's done and I must come and say a big "Good Job" to the Magpul team, and especially to Mr. Haley and Costa, for their outstanding "The Art of Tactical Carbine" DVD. It was a pleasure to see professionals not wanting students to do specific drills and techniques, considering that some might not like them, nor be good with them. They know that everyone must find "his" way to use the drills learned, and that's a very good thing.

For those who don't know, Switzerland is probably the last country with a gun-friendly law in Europe. We can get pretty much everything we want, but the thing we are missing here is weapon courses such as the ones provided by Magpul Dynamics or other people with experience.

Now I'm looking forward to discover the volume 2, I'm sure it will be even better than the volume 1.

Thank you again for your work Mr. Costa and Haley. Your experience is truly appreciated.

And if you don't mind me asking, are you planning to teach some techniques with other weapon systems than the AR15 ?

Regards

Thank you for your comments!

and Yes....

CAPT KIRK
04-27-09, 00:53
Chris or Travis,

Saw the adds are out for the second set of DVDs in the magazines, but not yet on the web site.... any e.t.a.?

costa
04-27-09, 06:48
The new DVD should be out sometime in may.

c

KevinB
04-27-09, 07:13
I got to see some segments on Chris's laptop -- the second DVD will be a huge hit IMHO.

Signel
05-04-09, 19:24
I stopped by the cheaper than dirt store in ft worth Saturday. Costa and Haley were barking orders over the TV.

It was funny watching the folks gather around. FYI, they were down to one last copy on the shelf. It is a shame they charge $30 for pmags.... Cheaper than dirt my ass!

Don't make us wait all may!

AllanRR
11-03-09, 02:09

Hello,
Did you ever find out what the title of the music that was playing on the first DVD? I too have been searching but still no luck.:confused:

A

Ryo
11-03-09, 02:26
I did enjoy that music, now that you mentioned it.

teufeldog
11-12-09, 15:05
In Volume 2 set of videos Patrick Garcia has a digital camo CTR stock on his rifle. Has anyone seen these available for sale?

adh
11-12-09, 15:25
In Volume 2 set of videos Patrick Garcia has a digital camo CTR stock on his rifle. Has anyone seen these available for sale?

Travis also uses the same patterned Pmag if you noticed....never seen them for sale

teufeldog
11-12-09, 15:51
Travis also uses the same patterned Pmag if you noticed....never seen them for sale

Oh, that's right. I saw that and wondered if that was a PMAG or something else. Good spot. Curious if these will ever make it to market or if it was just a fun project the guys at Magpul did to screw with us! :D

DrDrake
11-16-09, 14:08
The Dessert MARPAT PMAG's and stocks you guys are seeing we one off's someone did for us using a dipping process. Not production run items.

teufeldog
11-16-09, 18:44
@DrDrake, is this your weapon?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MIZ2k01SM88/SwHf1gFuxqI/AAAAAAAADSc/1YVqaJi3q4U/AOTC-II.png

What are the specs? What Rail, barrel and length sitting behind that KX3?

DrDrake
11-16-09, 18:47
Yep, that's mine. 13.7" with a KX3 and a 14.0 DD rail. I've decomissioned that rifle now and rebuild as a SBR with a different rail. I loved that rifle.

htxred
11-30-09, 16:20
any sneak peaks at the dynamic pistol video?

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-30-09, 20:32
any sneak peaks at the dynamic pistol video?

At the MD pistol class I took in June we asked about a pistol DVD and the MD guys just smiled. I was kind of hoping that they were going to film our pistol class, but no. I was hoping by Christmas, but it seems they like to shoot it them in the fall and release them in the Spring?

TY44934
01-20-10, 08:29
Here's a YouTube video of Travis and I shooting a USPSA handgun match at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge VA 'back in the old days', I'm the 3rd shooter in the video (the fat guy in the Infidel shirt shooting a Glock) and Travis is the 4th guy in a Force Recon shirt. Douglas (member TY44934 aka the skinny guy) is the 2nd shooter in the video.

I miss those days Travis, they were fun !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJpGrFeNpZs

Not so skinny any more (at least around the middle anyway). Those were great times, though I know there are better days ahead. Hope to see you guys more in 2010.

D.

mchaley
01-22-10, 02:52
What ear protection did Travis and Chris have in TATC1?

rugbymike
01-25-10, 14:15
Where does Travis Haley send his parts to get the digi camo? Is it some kind of big secret? I've seen a few threads of people asking and speculating but still no answer as to where it gets done.

RichFitz
02-07-10, 13:47
Where does Travis Haley send his parts to get the digi camo? Is it some kind of big secret? I've seen a few threads of people asking and speculating but still no answer as to where it gets done.

The digi camo items were done as a test for Magpul by a company specializing it this process. Travis is testing them for durability.

If we do not decide to offer the service directly I will release the name of the company who produced these items.

Zeus
02-07-10, 19:07
Can't see it being any more, OR less durable than other dipping processes on polymers. I'm sure it's all about what the end user wants out of the product. As long as the base color of the polymer is chosen well, can't see wear being an over bearing issue.

EchoFox
02-07-10, 19:53
If we do not decide to offer the service directly I will release the name of the company who produced these items.
Just curious: have they been at MiliPol last year? I can't remember their name, but they had weapons, cases and even a whole car modified with this camo-technique.

rugbymike
02-07-10, 20:59
Thank you very much RichFitz. I was actually starting to wonder if it was a big secret, but figured I was just being paranoid. I appreciate you putting my mind at ease.