PDA

View Full Version : New SureFire PROCOMP 556

Toddler
06-17-14, 13:56
Same results as the SFMB-556 but not a suppressor mount. A whole lot cheaper though $59.99.

http://www.surefire.com/procomp-556-1-2-28.html?utm_content=procomp556_Intro_body_Image&trk_msg=C1GE36TOG6VK3C39GOHB93T8V4&trk_contact=FOKET6G027V0LG6MNQR8G7F2KK&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=A+competition-grade+muzzle+brake+designed+and+built+as+a+stand-alone+muzzle+device&utm_campaign=2014Dealer_20140617_PROCOMP556

briguy64
06-18-14, 11:29
Pretty solid price point from a reputable brand, definitely something for me to consider on my next rifle

justin_247
06-18-14, 11:56
Same results as the SFMB-556 but not a suppressor mount. A whole lot cheaper though $59.99.

http://www.surefire.com/procomp-556-1-2-28.html?utm_content=procomp556_Intro_body_Image&trk_msg=C1GE36TOG6VK3C39GOHB93T8V4&trk_contact=FOKET6G027V0LG6MNQR8G7F2KK&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=A+competition-grade+muzzle+brake+designed+and+built+as+a+stand-alone+muzzle+device&utm_campaign=2014Dealer_20140617_PROCOMP556

The price on these alone are enough for me to buy one just to experiment with... and I'm not a fan or brakes, at all.

Kain
06-18-14, 12:02
Very nice. Have personally found the Surefire brakes to be much less obnoxious compared to other offerings, still louder but they aren't the punching you in the balls painful like some. Wonder if they will be doing a flash hider version without the suppressor mount? Would be interested in that myself.

Obscenejesster
06-18-14, 12:03
Looks rather long.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
06-18-14, 12:43
i've been looking at their suppressor adapter brakes, but I know nearly nothing currently about suppressors and suppressor mounting. but they just seem like a nice quick option to throw a can on and off your rifle.

justin_247
06-18-14, 12:45
Looks rather long.

It is a little longer than most devices.

It is .19" longer than the MB556K... it is shorter than the SJC Titan, and slightly longer than the Rainier Arms RAC, Lantac Dragon, DPMS Miculek, AAC Brakeout, and Arrendondo nXg brakes. It is .5" longer than the PWS FSC556, Fortis RED, AAC 51T brake and the PRI MSTN QC brake.

It is shorter than the BE Meyers 249F flash hider and .17" longer than an AAC Blackout 51T flash hider.

ptmccain
06-18-14, 12:46
Wonder if it will offer any substantially better results than the good old Battlecomp 1.0 I have on my AR, and have had on it for a number of years.

Obscenejesster
06-18-14, 13:05
I personally feel better options than the BC have been available for the past year or so. So many new comps being manufactured that keep the muzzle flat and cut down on flash either as good or almost as good as the A2. The BC is lacking in the flash department and has a tendency to force the muzzle down.

223to45
06-18-14, 13:11
At that price Surefire with sell the hell out of them.

I might even have to try one.

justin_247
06-18-14, 13:16
Wonder if it will offer any substantially better results than the good old Battlecomp 1.0 I have on my AR, and have had on it for a number of years.

The Surefire brakes and the Battlecomp were designed with different purposes in mind, so I'm not sure the comparison is really a good one.

ptmccain
06-18-14, 13:19
Do tell....

BC98
06-18-14, 13:23
Where was this brake $250 (worth of MB556K's) ago????

justin_247
06-18-14, 13:51
Do tell....

The Battlecomp was designed as a "tactical compensator" and is marketed toward "tactical" markets, ie, law enforcement, military, certain consumer markets... they aimed for it to be about the same size as an A2 flash hider, while seeking to keep flash at the same level and significantly improving "muzzle control." They also sought to design it in such a way that it didn't have the crazy levels of concussion that you see with ported muzzle brakes. Here's from the Battlecomp website:

The BattleComp is a true tactical compensator specifically designed for military and law enforcement personnel who use the AR15 platform for CQB. The BattleComp has no negative effect of precision marksmanship and the increase in muzzle stability allows the user the ability to see rounds hit while looking through the scope.

The BattleComp gives the end user excellent muzzle control WITHOUT the excessive concussion and crushing blast produced by most compensators on the market — with flash comparable to an A2 — and all in an A2-sized package.

I think they somewhat failed in the flash department, but mostly succeeded in their other design goals.

Surefire originally marketed their brakes as an addition to its suppressor line. Later, they pushed very hard into the 3 Gun market and also got some publicity from the Magpul Dynamics folks. The suppressor has large ports that result in a lot of concussion out to the side, and it has no features designed to minimize flash. It was designed for the sole purpose of reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise while not being as harsh as comps like the SJC Titan or DPMS Miculek. Here's from Surefire's website:

greatly reduces both recoil impulse and muzzle rise so that the weapon tracks straight back to keep you on target for faster shot-to-shot recovery. Its patented Impulse Diffusion design minimizes side blast and rear-directed concussion effects.

It's still got a harsh report, so I don't think they really "minimized side blast" to quite the extent that they say. But it does a very good job keeping the muzzle flat and reducing the recoil impulse, while producing a ton of flash.

ptmccain
06-18-14, 14:11
So, back to my point....

Is there any truly substantial improvement/benefit when it comes to controlling muzzle rise?

justin_247
06-18-14, 14:16
So, back to my point....

Is there any truly substantial improvement/benefit when it comes to controlling muzzle rise?

I've leave this to somebody who has used both, since I only have limited experience with the Battlecomp and some feel like the muzzle is being pushed down. My understanding is that the muzzle is kept relatively flat with the Surefire brake, but that's why I want to buy one to find out.

ptmccain
06-18-14, 14:22
Yup, we'll have to see some comparison videos to determine if there is significant performance benefits with one brake over another.

BC98
06-18-14, 14:35
I've used both on a 12.5" upper and much preferred the Surefire because:
-Muzzle response was more neutral (the BC did push the muzzle down for me)
-The recoil "felt" slightly lighter with the Surefire to me
-The BC flashed up into my sight picture while the Surefire directed flash to the sides, allowing me to keep visibility on the target

I briefly tested both devices on a select-fire M4 and there was a distinct downward initial reaction to the muzzle with the BC that required corrective input whereas the Surefire did not have the same reaction. Don't have video for you, though.

TMS951
06-18-14, 15:08
So, back to my point....

Do tell....

The Surefire piece does not do much to push the muzzle down, it pulls the gun forward. The Battle comp pushes the muzzle down and does very little to pull the gun forward.

As others have have told you in this thread, they are different products doing different things. Simply looking at them should indicate this.

To directly answer question, it will control rise less, while controlling recoil more. So to you there would not be a benefit.

Toddler
06-19-14, 04:06
Old comparison video of Surefire, Battlecomp and BCM in FA.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMJHMOTl0g

Hkbeltfed
06-19-14, 06:23
...so I don't think they really "minimized side blast" to quite the extent that they say.

I don't think they did it at all. Isn't that where all of it is directed? I knew that going in, as I wanted it as a blast baffle for my SBRs.

http://www.hkbeltfed.com/sfmbflash.jpg

Boeydafunk
11-07-14, 09:59
I just got one of these and as a left handed shooter it was forcing the muzzle to the left pretty heavily. Can I drill the othersides blind pilot hole out myself with the device still on the gun to make the recoil more nuetral? Or is it something that must be done after removing the device and then reinstalling it?

montrala
11-07-14, 11:30
You can drill with device installed. That is why SF provided pilot holes, to allow field modification. Take several size of drills with you to gradually increase size of hole until rifle tracks straight. You can follow this procedure (different device, same situation):

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=14873/guntechdetail/Custom-Tuning-the-Rolling-Thunder-Compensator

Of course, if you shoot from left shoulder, then drill 9 o'clock hole.

Boeydafunk
11-07-14, 11:32
Awesome! Have been trying to find advise on it. When prone, it throws my red dot 4 to 6 inches left at 50 yards

Long Range Trigger Monkey
11-07-14, 12:31
Very nice. Have personally found the Surefire brakes to be much less obnoxious compared to other offerings, still louder but they aren't the punching you in the balls painful like some. Wonder if they will be doing a flash hider version without the suppressor mount? Would be interested in that myself.

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/suppressor-adapters/3p-eliminator-flash-hiders.html