PDA

View Full Version : A Pair of Sig P227's and Then Some

Sensei
06-17-14, 18:34
Notice the triggers...

Both have the factory SRT kits and Bruce Gray's Precision Intermediate Trigger. This is the best combination of DA trigger pull, reset, and ZERO over travel of any DA/SA pistol that I have experienced. It is hands down better than any HK, FN, S&W, or Beretta (yes, even with a D spring) that I own. Granted, this is only dry fire since I just completed the install, but it is one helluva start. The cost of these modifications (minus labor) is $50-100 depending on if your SRT came from the factory.

The P227 has about 300 trouble free rounds and the SAS has only 200 prior to installation of the triggers to check basic function. So, the jury is still out in terms of reliability or durability. Accuracy is on par for what I have come to expect from Sig as I was able to keep a full magazine of 230 grain AE in the - 0 box on an IDPA target at 25 yards.

I hope to put another 100-150 round through both over the next couple of weeks including a couple of boxes of 230 grain Gold Dot which is my carry ammo. I'll try to work in some FAST drills and Dot Torture and report back.

KCBRUIN
06-17-14, 22:37
Hoping my agency switches from P220's to 227's soon. Sick guns and setup you got there.

samuse
06-18-14, 19:02
The P227 is the first pistol to really get my attention in a good long while.

A somewhat reasonably sized 45 with a decent trigger that's not a 1911. I really don't think that's ever been done befo'...

Sensei
06-18-14, 23:11
The P227 is the first pistol to really get my attention in a good long while.

A somewhat reasonably sized 45 with a decent trigger that's not a 1911. I really don't think that's ever been done befo'...

The SAS version is very similar in size to a P229; just a tad thicker but will not fit the P229 holsters due to the trigger guard :(.

RWCRaiden
06-19-14, 10:19
Very good. I strongly considered a P227 but heard it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, thus I went with HK. I think I'm regretting that decision now.

Sensei
06-19-14, 12:01
Very good. I strongly considered a P227 but heard it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, thus I went with HK. I think I'm regretting that decision now.

Without a doubt the P227 in my configuration, which is a factory SRT kit and Gray Guns Precision Intermediate Trigger, beats the HK45 in terms of trigger pull and reset. The HK is probably more inherently accurate but the long, heavy initial DA pull and reset are issues for me and most people who do not dedicate themselves to the HK trigger. I've been very tempted to send my HK45 and HK45C to Bowie Tactical to get the Vickers Package (over travel stop, trigger guard trench removal, etc.). However, this would not address my two biggest issues with the HK45 - 15lb DA pull on my compact and a reset that is at least 2X longer than a stock Sig without the SRT.

The big question that I have is how will the reliability and durability hold up once I surpass the 15-20K round mark. HK is without question rock solid well beyond this volume. West German Sigs took care of you if you took care of them with appropriate preventive maintenance. Is the current crop of American Sigs approaching the durability of their predecessors? Time will tell since I am lucky to put more than 3K rounds per year through an individual pistol.

Sensei
06-19-14, 19:01
Well, I got back to the range today and put 75 rounds of Federal AE through the P227 SAS and 60 rounds of Speer Lawman through the P227 Full Size. The drill of the day was a modified FAST drill using IDPA target at 10 yards; I was out of FAST targets and moved back 3 yards to account for the larger targets.

Anyway, there were zero malfunctions. However, I had a serious case of the flenchies since my most recent shooting sessions were 9mm striker platforms. Thus, I was really slow and innaccurate for the first 2 drills with scores around 9 seconds :(. I was also slowed down by persistent failure to lock back the slide due to my aggressive thumbs forward grip. This is usually not a problem with my 9mm Sigs, but the increased grip radius and recoil on the P227 was pushing my grip thumb and support hand on to the slide lock lever.

Thus, I took a break and did some single shot flinch drills where I loaded a live round followed by a snap cap to look for any flinch. After settling down a little, I was able to bring my score down to about 7 seconds which is a full second slower than my averages with a 9mm P226.

The bottom line is that my P227's are functional and accurate so far. However, I still have lots of practice to take full advantage of the SRT and new trigger.

bighawk
06-19-14, 20:36
I've been interested in getting one of these since I first saw them so its nice to hear positive feedback.

RWCRaiden
06-20-14, 09:17
I have the LEM trigger on my HK45C. I like it, short reset, but I was having issues with the sights. Never had any sort of malfunction, I just was hitting super low every shot. I'm convinced it's the sights or something else with the gun because several very experienced shooters all had the same results.

I'm hoping that the P227's hold up. I acquired a Sig P226 .40 that was a duty gun for OSHP, and that has had quite a few rounds through it. As long as it stays oiled, it runs like a champ.

Sensei
06-20-14, 10:02
I have the LEM trigger on my HK45C. I like it, short reset, but I was having issues with the sights. Never had any sort of malfunction, I just was hitting super low every shot. I'm convinced it's the sights or something else with the gun because several very experienced shooters all had the same results.

I'm hoping that the P227's hold up. I acquired a Sig P226 .40 that was a duty gun for OSHP, and that has had quite a few rounds through it. As long as it stays oiled, it runs like a champ.

I briefly tried the LEM trigger in a P2000 but soon realized that I would have to dedicate myself to that trigger to make it work. I too would drop rounds low with the LEM off hand, but I admit that this was all me as I struggled with the loooong take-up which caused me to stage the trigger. The result was a frequent flinch which could be ironed out with 250 rounds of practice. However, shooting any sizable volume through a Glock or M&P would reset the clock every time I picked up my P2000. I also struggled with the LEM reset that was much longer than any other gun in my stable. Thus, I own several HK's in DA/SA but they are not my choice for daily carry.

The P-series is one of the few DA/SA that I shoot really well, at least in 9mm. The only other gun with trigger that can compete with an SRT-equipped Sig is a Beretta with a D mainspring.

RWCRaiden
06-20-14, 10:19
I do have a Beretta 92FS I have yet to put the D spring in. Does it affect the single action pull? The single action I think is a little sloppy, and the DA is quite long.

The HK LEM i don't think was shooter issue. I've rolled through the trigger, and I've staged both with the same results. I've shot many .45's and I know its not anticipation and throwing the shot low.

The Sig 226 is have is DAO, with a 12 pound pull, this was before the DAK trigger. It's actually a rather smooth pull once you get used to it, with a very clean break.

I really would like a crack at the P227 with the SRT. Looks sexy.

Sensei
06-20-14, 12:21
I do have a Beretta 92FS I have yet to put the D spring in. Does it affect the single action pull? The single action I think is a little sloppy, and the DA is quite long.

The D spring will take about 4 lbs off the DA pull and 1 lb off the SA. It is a $6 part and very easy to install. There are several good YouTube videos to walk you through the process which takes 10 min. IMHO, this should come standard from the factory.

RWCRaiden
06-20-14, 12:51
Will check this out. Thank you. Brownell's is currently out of stock. So is midway USA. Guess I'll have to wait a bit.

Coal Dragger
06-20-14, 14:48
If it makes any difference for your HK45's Bruce Gray does work on HK's too. Including a reduced reset and over travel stop.