PDA

View Full Version : Front sight block removal??????!!!

RIDE
06-17-14, 20:02
I'm trying to remove the FSB n a LMT 10.5" barrel in order to install a KMR.
I've removed the 2 pins and the gas tube pin but can not for the life of me get the FSB to come off. Twisting and banging on it to no avail.

It's almost like its one piece, but that can't be right.

Is it the coating that is causing me problems?

Any suggestions?

CoryCop25
06-17-14, 21:44
If you got the pins out, you have won the battle. I am assuming you have the upper in an upper vice block? If so, give it some heat and twist it off. You can also get a wood block and place it on the base of the front sight and tap it off with a hammer.
Most likely what is happening is the parkerizing is keeping it from coming off.

Failure2Stop
06-17-14, 21:47
If you got the pins out, you have won the battle. I am assuming you have the upper in an upper vice block? If so, give it some heat and twist it off. You can also get a wood block and place it on the base of the front sight and tap it off with a hammer.
Most likely what is happening is the parkerizing is keeping it from coming off.
Agree with this.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

CoryCop25
06-17-14, 21:50
I thought LMT didn't park under the FSP?
Did they change that or is the park making a wall against the FSB and sealing it on?

RIDE
06-17-14, 22:05
Thanks guys. We hit it with a torch for a bit and tried to bang it off.... No luck. I'll try twisting tomorrow.
The parkerizing looks thick. It makes the barrel and FSB look like one solid piece. I'm going nut string to get this thing off. The pins weren't easy, but getting the FSB off is unreal!

MistWolf
06-17-14, 22:58
When the pins were driven in, it's possible the metal around the pin holes was distorted which will make it difficult to remove the FSB. Soak the FSB in a good penetrating oil and try heat from a heat gun or oven (No open flame) or stick it in a freezer. Use a barrel vise clamped as close to the FSB as possible, place a long lever in the A frame and rotate it loose

Iraqgunz
06-17-14, 23:07
Are you eliminating the FBS or hacking the KMR?

RIDE
06-18-14, 00:28
Are you eliminating the FBS or hacking the KMR?

I'm shaving (have shaved) the sight off, but using the gas block.

Iraqgunz
06-18-14, 01:48
Are these taper pins or straight? I seem to recall LMT using straight pins at some point. You need to secure the barrel in a vise (use padded barrel block) and get the FSB as close the vise as possible. Once you have determined which way to strike the pins, get the largest punch you have and center it over the pins. Strike firmly and with deliberate hits. Don't just bang on it. Once you do that they should start to move.

When that happens chances are they are loose enough and then you place the correct sized punch on the pins and tap them through. I use a standard 1" Nylon/Brass hammer from Brownells and this works 98% of the time.

Once this is done, center up the FSB and use a large rawhide hammer or mallet and hit the remaining part of the FSB.

I'm shaving (have shaved) the sight off, but using the gas block.

markm
06-18-14, 08:20
Those idiots at LMT park the barrel FSB on. Aggrivation 101.

If you put a beater A2 FH on, put the barrel muzzle down on your anvil/vise, and get a large hammer and a chisel or long bolt shaft that allow you to impact close to the barrel, you should be able to drive it off.

I use a long 3/8" bolt that I cut the threaded end off of for this type of mess. But those blue chisels you get at Ace hardware would work good. They're not sharp where you'd cut into the FSB forging.

RIDE
06-18-14, 14:26
Those idiots at LMT park the barrel FSB on. Aggravation 101.

It was freaking brutal! That's why it looked (FELT!!!!) like the FSB was freaking CAST together... like o MONOLITHIC FSB!! loL!

Finally... I won!!!! In so doing so I raised my hands to the sky and yelled... "VICTORY!!!!".. My wife came out to the garage to ask what the heck I was doing.

Thank you all for the help! Much appreciated!!!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3835/14452063052_3d0147a210_c.jpg

CoryCop25
06-18-14, 14:33
How good does it feel to have won?!!
KMR looks great by the way!

markm
06-18-14, 14:39
I love these kind of challenges. The one I don't care for is fukking red loctite abusers. There's a special sector in hell for those folks.

RIDE
06-18-14, 17:22
How good does it feel to have won?!!

VERY GOOD!!!!

I love these kind of challenges.

Agreed... when it's OVER!!!!

Beer for F2S, IG, Cory, Mist, & MarkM! Cheers!