PDA

View Full Version : Roni SI226 CAA Tactical Rail System & Stock

Mike Marley
06-18-14, 12:05
I wasn't sure where to post this, but technically, when you attach your handgun (in my case, a sig 226) to this conversion kit, it becomes a short semi-auto rifle. I read about this system in a recent AR magazine and it piqued my interest. Mu ch of that interest had to do with the desire to own a PDW for home defense AND something fun to take to my local range.

Understanding that this does not qualify as a PDF, it seemed like a legit option to soup up my sig for home defense. I could throw a light of it, a laser, and an optic without having to drill holes in my dearly beloved Sig :cool:.

If anyone owns one I would love to have your thoughts on it. In addition, I believe it requires a tax stamp to get a hold of the model with colapsable stock (the model I want).

Can anyone give me a hand with how I would purchase this 'conversion kit'? Would I have to go through my local gun store, or could I have the thing shipped there?

I've never bought a restricted item like a silencer and I believe this requires similar paperwork.

HERE is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpNA-TZnMC4

Thanks guys.

Kain
06-18-14, 12:43
I have known people who have used them, and have personally handled them on a number of occasions. The general contentious was that neat and cool and a fun range toy, but it was no real advantage to a shooter who was competent with a pistol at your average pistol ranges. A mediocre shooter it might help them make hits at 25 yards, but it was by no means instant fix and in regards to the accuracy testing that was done it shoot no improvement and at times it degraded accuracy. For a shitty shooter, they were still a shitty shooter. Granted this was something like three years ago when those tests were done by them and improvements could have been made and accuracy could have been improved, but when they were compared side by side with something like an MP5 there was no contest as far as use.

For the one with the stock you are going to have to get a tax stamp though I can't recall if it was the chassis or the gun that needs to be approved. The none stocked one which isn't NFA is a brick. My local gun store got one in recently and I was playing with it and they were doing their damnest to get me to buy because no one really liked it, the materials didn't feel real great and again it turns my 17 in a brick.

Personally if you are wanting to go the NFA route I would go with an honest SBR and something in 5.56. That or just stick with the Sig for HD and put a good weapon light like a X300 and buy more ammo and a few classes as I think that would be of more use to you in my opinion than the RONI.

Now, I will add this, one what I am going on is stuff from a couple three years back, also, I believe there is another version of something that is much more streamlined with a side folding stock that proved a lot better in testing with others I spoke with, however it was also a good deal more for the device. If I come across it I will post it, but my general opinion still stands for the most part even with that.

Mike Marley
06-18-14, 13:36
I have known people who have used them, and have personally handled them on a number of occasions. The general contentious was that neat and cool and a fun range toy, but it was no real advantage to a shooter who was competent with a pistol at your average pistol ranges. A mediocre shooter it might help them make hits at 25 yards, but it was by no means instant fix and in regards to the accuracy testing that was done it shoot no improvement and at times it degraded accuracy. For a shitty shooter, they were still a shitty shooter. Granted this was something like three years ago when those tests were done by them and improvements could have been made and accuracy could have been improved, but when they were compared side by side with something like an MP5 there was no contest as far as use.

For the one with the stock you are going to have to get a tax stamp though I can't recall if it was the chassis or the gun that needs to be approved. The none stocked one which isn't NFA is a brick. My local gun store got one in recently and I was playing with it and they were doing their damnest to get me to buy because no one really liked it, the materials didn't feel real great and again it turns my 17 in a brick.

Personally if you are wanting to go the NFA route I would go with an honest SBR and something in 5.56. That or just stick with the Sig for HD and put a good weapon light like a X300 and buy more ammo and a few classes as I think that would be of more use to you in my opinion than the RONI.

Now, I will add this, one what I am going on is stuff from a couple three years back, also, I believe there is another version of something that is much more streamlined with a side folding stock that proved a lot better in testing with others I spoke with, however it was also a good deal more for the device. If I come across it I will post it, but my general opinion still stands for the most part even with that.

Thanks for that post! I also thought the one without a collapsible stock would be awkward to use. I am super interested in PDW's but I don't yet know about what's out there in terms of purchase. I'm not interested in full auto, etc. either. I don't have the money for that. I've taken several rifle and carbine courses to this point and am getting much better at shooting. Since my interest is progressing more towards rifles and such, I thought this would be a neat.....well, toy maybe...and possibly a good chassis for my sig for HD.

I was also looking at the TAVOR. I don't think they offer anything under a 16" barrel yet though...maybe in the future? So, this is a good time to ask....at what length barrel does a rifle become a "short rifle" and thus require a tax stamp, etc?

Walleye
06-18-14, 14:06
Anything less than a 16" barrel with an overall length of less than 26" (stock extended) are legally SBRs.