PDA

View Full Version : Weekend trip with NFA

HwyKnight
06-18-14, 16:42
I'm heading to SC for the weekend and I'm thinking about taking my SBR and Sup. I know I need to have a copy of my stamps, but do I need anything else? Copy of trust? Notify ATF? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Eurodriver
06-18-14, 16:44
Do you mean this weekend? I hate to burst your bubble, but that's a good way to commit a federal offense.

Unfortunately, the BATFE requires you to submit a form and have it returned to you, signed, before you can bring an SBR across state lines. The permission slip process can take as long as 6 weeks.

You are good to go with your suppressor, however. I don't bring my stamps with me, but if you plan on shooting at an indoor range where they ask to see them then you might want to bring it along.

Jakedasnake
06-18-14, 17:07
I'm heading to SC for the weekend and I'm thinking about taking my SBR and Sup. I know I need to have a copy of my stamps, but do I need anything else? Copy of trust? Notify ATF? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

You must want to end up in a Federal Pen. someplace! You take that gun over state lines, and that's EXACTLY where you'll end up my friend! Do as the other Gentleman stated^^^^, and get permission; IN HAND! Not, "Oh I sent it in, and they took too long.".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HwyKnight
06-18-14, 17:10
Do you mean this weekend? I hate to burst your bubble, but that's a good way to commit a federal offense.

Unfortunately, the BATFE requires you to submit a form and have it returned to you, signed, before you can bring an SBR across state lines. The permission slip process can take as long as 6 weeks.

You are good to go with your suppressor, however. I don't bring my stamps with me, but if you plan on shooting at an indoor range where they ask to see them then you might want to bring it along.

This is why I love this site, always plenty of people who know their stuff. Yes I am going this weekend, but I was thinking that the ATF form was for moving, not just traveling, so thanks for the info. I have plenty of other 'toys' to take along. Going shooting is my wife's last minute idea. Rumor has it that my daughter's BF is going to ask me for permission to marry her this weekend, and my wife thought that taking him shooting would be a great way to screw with his head!!

WickedWillis
06-18-14, 17:16

Yeah this nails it.

Eurodriver
06-18-14, 17:28
This is why I love this site, always plenty of people who know their stuff. Yes I am going this weekend, but I was thinking that the ATF form was for moving, not just traveling, so thanks for the info. I have plenty of other 'toys' to take along. Going shooting is my wife's last minute idea. Rumor has it that my daughter's BF is going to ask me for permission to marry her this weekend, and my wife thought that taking him shooting would be a great way to screw with his head!!

Bring the suppressor for sure. He might think you're an assassin. But a big no-no on the SBR.

ATF Form 5320.20 is used for both permanent and temporary travel of certain NFA items.

HwyKnight
06-18-14, 17:37
Bring the suppressor for sure. He might think you're an assassin. But a big no-no on the SBR.

ATF Form 5320.20 is used for both permanent and temporary travel of certain NFA items.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, the only thing my sup fits is my SBR. My standard AR and tac SG should do the trick. Wife says I should start by shooting every target in the crotch!! She's cruel!!! Lol!!!

MistWolf
06-18-14, 18:59
Get an SB15 arm brace and an AR pistol lower to go with the upper

Hmac
06-18-14, 19:26
You must want to end up in a Federal Pen. someplace! You take that gun over state lines, and that's EXACTLY where you'll end up my friend! Do as the other Gentleman stated^^^^, and get permission; IN HAND! Not, "Oh I sent it in, and they took too long.".

Yeah. It's against the law. Do you know of anyone who ended up in a Federal penitentiary for taking an SBR out of state with getting an approved 5320.20? Just curious.

Jakedasnake
06-18-14, 19:28
Yeah. It's against the law. Do you know of anyone who ended up in a Federal penitentiary for taking an SBR out of state with getting an approved 5320.20? Just curious.

You should try it and report back to us! Seriously! Go on, do it!

Jakedasnake
06-18-14, 19:29

Oh yeah, be sure to do it in a commie state if you don't mind.

lunchbox
06-18-14, 19:41
Get an SB15 arm brace and an AR pistol lower to go with the upperMy exact reason for getting SB15.

BigWaylon
06-18-14, 21:19
It's possible to fax it in (304-616-4501) and request an expedite on the cover sheet. No guarantee you'd get it back in time, but wouldn't hurt to try.

Hmac
06-18-14, 21:48
You should try it and report back to us! Seriously! Go on, do it!

So...the answer is "no", then?

HwyKnight
06-18-14, 23:14
It's possible to fax it in (304-616-4501) and request an expedite on the cover sheet. No guarantee you'd get it back in time, but wouldn't hurt to try.

I won't have time to do this, the other toys will do.

pentosinjunkie
06-18-14, 23:27
So...the answer is "no", then?

Looks like we're on the same wavelength concerning this poster's reaction.

To the OP, the odds of you getting locked up over this are astronomically small. That being said, it would really suck if something did happen and you hadn't taken the 10 minutes to fill out and mail in the form, and wait a few weeks for approval.

There are a ton of similar threads on this issue here and on TOS. Many people write up the ATF form to cover periods of 364 days and renew yearly. Smoke detector battery sort of routine.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Jbarchitect
06-19-14, 08:55
I found a loophole for traveling across state lines with my sbr.
Case in point, I live in VA and I have to travel in NC for 10 minutes to get back into VA to the range since the land masses on the east coast of VA are cut up by waterways.
I did submit the travel form but once I started checking on the status, I was referred to an agent who informed me it wasn’t required in this instance. Rest assured I will not be stopping in NC for any reason. And luckily the agent left me a voice message stating the form was not required. That voice message will be saved on my phone in perpetuity.

skydivr
06-19-14, 09:23
Don't do it...

The form is good for one year. Suggest you send them one for every state you MIGHT want to take it to, then just renew it annually....