PDA

View Full Version : Miami Police Officer NEGLIGENTLY Discharges AR-15 Inside Miami Courthouse...

SteyrAUG
06-19-14, 00:45
http://www.wsvn.com/story/25811797/officer-accidentally-discharges-gun-inside-courthouse

MIAMI (WSVN) -- The Miami-Dade Police Department is investigating after one of their officers fired off a round from his rifle inside a Miami-Dade County courthouse Wednesday morning.

Miami-Dade Police said the officer was demonstrating an AR-15 rifle in a hallway, just outside of a courtroom, at the Lawson Thomas Courthouse, located at 175 N.W. 1st Ave. in Downtown Miami, when he accidentally fired a shot into the floor.

The bullet struck the floor by a sitting area on the 30th floor.

hatt
06-19-14, 00:54
Only one professional enough...

ABNAK
06-19-14, 00:58
He was "demonstrating an AR-15 rifle in a hallway" huh? :rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
06-19-14, 01:59
Now that "demonstration in the hall" has conveniently become an "official training exercise" that was conducted for some reason in the courthouse and live ammunition (indeed a hot rifle) was introduced to the training environment.

I swear I've heard fourth graders come up with more plausible explanations for how the poop got in the swimming pool.

J-Dub
06-19-14, 06:59
Glad nobody was injured. Negligent discharges, are just that....negligent in nature (failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another).

It can happen to anyone if complacency sets in. I would suspect some time off without pay is in order.

chuckman
06-19-14, 07:04
When I was a medic with a tac team we had a LEO ND his M4 right into his foot. The physical disability aside, the shame he endured from the community was pretty tough. I would image in the Miami cop will have a large bite of a poop pie got a while.

yellowfin
06-19-14, 07:54
Those granite floors probably aren't cheap to patch a hole in.

markm
06-19-14, 08:43
How, even as a copper, are you in a hallway of a public building with an uncased AR???

He must have been going to an open carry rally at Applebees.

The_War_Wagon
06-19-14, 09:39
250 laps around the courthouse in full ruck, holding the rifle over his head the whole time? :eek:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0c/HRM16A1-1.jpg/400px-HRM16A1-1.jpg

Irish
06-19-14, 10:42
Knuckleheads are knuckleheads, uniform or not.

markm
06-19-14, 10:45
Maybe they'll issue suppressors for these guns now. :sarcastic:

Can you imagine the number of soiled drawers in that building? (in our current mass shooting fad mess)

T2C
06-19-14, 10:58
Title: "Officer accidentally discharges gun inside courthouse" It should read Officer negligently discharges gun inside courthouse.

"the officer was demonstrating an AR-15 rifle in a hallway" Why ?!?!? An uncased/unholstered firearm in a courthouse? Why?

If the officer is not fired, they should be required to complete their basic firearm training to keep their job. If they were assigned a courthouse position, they should never be allowed to work there again.

BIGUGLY
06-19-14, 11:33
normally being relegated to courthouse security is either for the new guy or if you screwed up. Maybe its still safer there than patrol or in the jail.

Big A
06-19-14, 12:42
How, even as a copper, are you in a hallway of a public building with an uncased AR???

He must have been going to an open carry rally at Applebees.

Title: "Officer accidentally discharges gun inside courthouse" It should read Officer negligently discharges gun inside courthouse.

"the officer was demonstrating an AR-15 rifle in a hallway" Why ?!?!? An uncased/unholstered firearm in a courthouse? Why?
If the officer is not fired, they should be required to complete their basic firearm training to keep their job. If they were assigned a courthouse position, they should never be allowed to work there again.

To the bolded part:

I'm a Bailiff, we have a "Rapid Response Team" that is issued and trained on AR's for a possible active shooter or for during high profile cases when a hgher security presence is needed.

So if he was working security for a high profile case, that would be a reason for an AR to be out and slung across his chest in a courthouse.

Now, the officialese of "Demonstrating an AR-15 rifle in a hallway" just means that numb nuts was playing grab ass and ****ed up with the ND.

grunz
06-19-14, 12:57
Will the Bloomberg group add this to their lost of mass shootings, like the list of 75 "school shootings" they put up? lol

SteyrAUG
06-19-14, 14:00
Glad nobody was injured. Negligent discharges, are just that....negligent in nature (failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another).

It can happen to anyone if complacency sets in. I would suspect some time off without pay is in order.

Only problem is if a CCW had a "negligent discharge" in a public building I doubt he'd receive the same kind of consideration. If ANYONE should know the "check and clear" mantra it should be EVERY LEO with an AR. It's what is called inexcusable IMO. I don't know that criminal charges should apply in either case, but perhaps the LEO in question should have his carbine certification revoked for a year.

Alex V
06-19-14, 14:07
Only problem is if a CCW had a "negligent discharge" in a public building I doubt he'd receive the same kind of consideration. If ANYONE should know the "check and clear" mantra it should be EVERY LEO with an AR. It's what is called inexcusable IMO. I don't know that criminal charges should apply in either case, but perhaps the LEO in question should have his carbine certification revoked for a year.

Could not agree more...

WillBrink
06-19-14, 14:18
When I was a medic with a tac team we had a LEO ND his M4 right into his foot. The physical disability aside, the shame he endured from the community was pretty tough. I would image in the Miami cop will have a large bite of a poop pie got a while.

I'd consider that grounds for dismissal. The trail of fail to that ND says he's not fit for the job. Each incident is different (such as yours, etc) but of that happened as written, that's right up there with "Tex" Grubner like behavior.

ST911
06-19-14, 17:33
Keep it about the event, and the cop. No need for board drama.

ptmccain
06-19-14, 17:37
Wait...doesn't everyone demonstrate an AR15 in a courthouse hallway?? :)

On a serious note, this is a great sobering lesson for all us. I know I get rather animated when I am showing a person who knows nothing/little about a particular firearm how it works, good reminder to SLOW down and be DOUBLY safe.