PDA

View Full Version : Glock 42 quick test

mark5pt56
06-19-14, 11:02
Had to have one of these, so I picked it up and thought I would post a pic and quick test results.

The pistol fits my hand very well, points the same and the recoil is mild with reasonable accuracy capabilities.
The trigger is a wee bit snappy, if not held properly, you will see a lot of sight jump when dry firing. If you haven't seen the internals, the firing pin safety, connector and trigger spring a different in design than the other models. The biggest is the trigger spring. That is a captured spring that has two anchor points within the housing. You utilize one, I found the upper recess appears to lesson the weight a tad. I'm certain there will be aftermarket kits soon if you like to fiddle.

I fired at seven yards, a general training and sighting distance for these types of pistols. Groups can be sized relatively at longer distances for comparison. I'm sure the pistol is more accurate-it's the old nut behind the trigger that matters.

Eighty rounds were fired, thirty Federal HydraShocks, forty-five PMC ball and five Speer ball. 100% function, zero issues.

This is what I did to test function under various shooting conditions. All standing, except the one where I rested my hands on the bench.

10 rounds, 5 rounds each of PMC/Speer, single load to check slide lock

Two rotations of listed with PMC and the Federal HS

6 rounds, Strong Hand Supported (standing offhand)
6 rounds, Strong Hand only-held properly
6 rounds, Weak Hand only, off, support-whatever-held properly
6 rounds, Strong Hand only-held to simulate a weakened state/injury*
6 rounds, Weak Hand only- Same
*(Held only by trigger finger and thumb with enough strength to keep it on target, middle, ring and finger not in play. While extreme, it has happened and a pistol may or may not function held in a manner one would be if in this state).

Hope it helps those thinking of picking up one of these. I have to decide on a holster, something tuckable, Appendix I think.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/001_zps974c4959.jpg

Crow Hunter
06-19-14, 11:27
Had to have one of these, so I picked it up and thought I would post a pic and quick test results.

The pistol fits my hand very well, points the same and the recoil is mild with reasonable accuracy capabilities.
The trigger is a wee bit snappy, if not held properly, you will see a lot of sight jump when dry firing. If you haven't seen the internals, the firing pin safety, connector and trigger spring a different in design than the other models. The biggest is the trigger spring. That is a captured spring that has two anchor points within the housing. You utilize one, I found the upper recess appears to lesson the weight a tad. I'm certain there will be aftermarket kits soon if you like to fiddle.

I fired at seven yards, a general training and sighting distance for these types of pistols. Groups can be sized relatively at longer distances for comparison. I'm sure the pistol is more accurate-it's the old nut behind the trigger that matters.

Eighty rounds were fired, thirty Federal HydraShocks, forty-five PMC ball and five Speer ball. 100% function, zero issues.

This is what I did to test function under various shooting conditions. All standing, except the one where I rested my hands on the bench.

10 rounds, 5 rounds each of PMC/Speer, single load to check slide lock

Two rotations of listed with PMC and the Federal HS

6 rounds, Strong Hand Supported (standing offhand)
6 rounds, Strong Hand only-held properly
6 rounds, Weak Hand only, off, support-whatever-held properly
6 rounds, Strong Hand only-held to simulate a weakened state/injury*
6 rounds, Weak Hand only- Same
*(Held only by trigger finger and thumb with enough strength to keep it on target, middle, ring and finger not in play. While extreme, it has happened and a pistol may or may not function held in a manner one would be if in this state).

Hope it helps those thinking of picking up one of these. I have to decide on a holster, something tuckable, Appendix I think.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/001_zps974c4959.jpg

Thakn you!

My wife played with one the last time we went to the fun store. Her eyes really lit up when she held it. She really likes Glocks and usually carries a G19 or a G26 but has always said that she would like something smaller and lighter that she could pack without having to use her "big purse" without having to go all the way down to my NAA Guardian .32.

I am glad it seems to be working well so far.

ptmccain
06-19-14, 11:30
I just picked mine up from my FFL yesterday afternoon and will be shooting it for the first time today. I was surprised at how well the little thing fits even my XXL sized hands. Much more comfortable than my Ruger LCP.

More later.

Crow Hunter
06-19-14, 14:48
I just picked mine up from my FFL yesterday afternoon and will be shooting it for the first time today. I was surprised at how well the little thing fits even my XXL sized hands. Much more comfortable than my Ruger LCP.

More later.

Please let us know.

bighawk
06-19-14, 20:41

More later.

Nice to hear this. My girlfriend wants one but now that I know that I'll be able to comfortably shoot it too with these big mitts I might just have to get one and tell her I got it for her to shoot...

Vulture38
06-23-14, 19:07
A colleague recently acquired one. He was similarly impressed.

mark5pt56
06-24-14, 16:44
Anyone ever use this holster?

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/AppendixCarry.aspx

Smash
06-24-14, 17:07
Anyone ever use this holster?

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/AppendixCarry.aspx

Had one similar to that for a M&P 9c.

I never could stand the large footprint it has. A good kydex appendix carry has worked really well for me on every gun. Dark Star Gear, Dale Fricke(arch angel), Custom Carry Concepts(Versa-clip).

mark5pt56
06-24-14, 18:17
I have an appendix clip now, wanted to have the tuck feature. Maybe I can look at the style I have but with a tuck feature. I was kind of thinking of the foot print in that area.

Aristogeiton
06-26-14, 14:50
I have some personal experience with the Glock 42 to add. I was able to shoot my G42 for the first time last weekend.

I fired 80 rounds and had zero malfunctions. It is new, right out of the box and has all the updated parts.

25 Blazer AL, 25 Speer Lawman TMJ, 19 Blazer Brass, 6 Winchester White Box FMJ and 5 Hornady Critical Defense.

So far, I’m very pleased and it will be fun to see how these pistols hold up.