PDA

View Full Version : As if gas wasn't high enough: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

Onyx Z
06-19-14, 11:39
The plan offered by Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Bob Corker, R-Tenn., would raise the 18.4 cents-a-gallon federal gas tax and 24.4 cents-a-gallon diesel tax each by 12 cents over the next two years, and then index the taxes to keep pace with inflation. The increase would be applied in two increments of 6 cents each.

The plan also calls for offsetting the tax increases with other tax cuts. Senators said that could be done by permanently extending six of 50 federal tax breaks that expired this year, but they indicated they would be open to other suggestions for offsets.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/18/senators-propose-12-cent-gas-tax-increase-to-pay-for-highway-transit-programs/

markm
06-19-14, 11:50
I'm so sick of this bullshit. My damned pay hasn't gone up to keep pace with inflation. The city of Phoenix yesterday announced new Parking meter hikes and water rate hikes.

When do these assholes have enough of our money?

cinco
06-19-14, 12:07
Another sign of a desperate civilization/political system in decline.

BoringGuy45
06-19-14, 12:13
No way it'll pass.

Mauser KAR98K
06-19-14, 12:31
Also blame more fuel efficiency cars. Less gas to burn, less revenue. Though I like good roads, the government dies not deserve a tax increase until it balances its own damn budget. Plus with gas increasing with geopolitical turmoil, this could really hurt Americans.

brickboy240
06-19-14, 13:03
Anyone else think it is high time for the folks of TN to put this Bob Corker character out to pasture? I fail to see how he is any different than McCain or Graham.

-brickboy240

interfan
06-19-14, 17:03
Why not make revenue from permits and leases for oil drilling on public lands? If they want to make revenue from petroleum, why not do it in a way that creates jobs? I guess that makes too much sense for DC.:angry:

Mr blasty
06-19-14, 17:14
Why not make revenue from permits and leases for oil drilling on public lands? If they want to make revenue from petroleum, why not do it in a way that creates jobs? I guess that makes too much sense for DC.:angry:

Oil companies aren't stupid. Every time they get nailed with another mountain of fees they cut drilling and fracks till the heat goes away. There's already enough fees, taxes, rules, regulations etc... The gov. just needs to learn to get by on the billions they already rape people for. I used to be a tenth as bad as uncle sugar with money before my wife taught me better spending habits and my life went into the gutter. After my experience with overspending I honestly don't know how the government can even still exists. There's only a hundred theories available that would improve our economic situation and the government ignores every single one of them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ralph
06-19-14, 20:13
I'm so sick of this bullshit. My damned pay hasn't gone up to keep pace with inflation. The city of Phoenix yesterday announced new Parking meter hikes and water rate hikes.

When do these assholes have enough of our money?

Not until they have it all, and you and everyone else's existence is totally dependent on them..

TAZ
06-19-14, 20:33
I propose a tax on legislation. $250/word for any new laws and $50/ word on existing laws that the legislature wants enforced. See I can pull stupid shit out if my ass just like them.

Is there an exemption for official vehicles??

Kokopelli
06-19-14, 20:36
Corker is a "corker".. I suspect the Haslem's are one of his major supporters..

FlyingHunter
06-19-14, 20:38
Not until they have it all, and you and everyone else's existence is totally dependent on them..

Truth^^^

ABNAK
06-19-14, 21:48
Anyone else think it is high time for the folks of TN to put this Bob Corker character out to pasture? I fail to see how he is any different than McCain or Graham.

-brickboy240

He ain't up for re-election this time. We're working on getting rid of RINO Lamar Alexander this time around.

Corker is next.

rjacobs
06-19-14, 22:13
And this money would go where? The general fund. The DOT would NEVER see an extra dime. If I saw in the same law that the DOT budget for road construction was going to go up the same amount they determine they would bring in, I would ALMOST be for this.

Its like in Missouri where you pay personal property tax on your vehicles every year. I think last year I paid around $600 for my two vehicles. A grand total of I think it was $12(might have been $18) went to the road system, the rest went to schools and a bunch of other bull shit. Sorry, my personal property tax for my car should go to the road system.

I see this tax doing the same thing. We pay an extra 12c per gallon and the DOT gets a fraction of a cent of that.

ABNAK
06-19-14, 22:25
And this money would go where? The general fund. The DOT would NEVER see an extra dime. If I saw in the same law that the DOT budget for road construction was going to go up the same amount they determine they would bring in, I would ALMOST be for this.

Its like in Missouri where you pay personal property tax on your vehicles every year. I think last year I paid around $600 for my two vehicles. A grand total of I think it was $12(might have been $18) went to the road system, the rest went to schools and a bunch of other bull shit. Sorry, my personal property tax for my car should go to the road system.

I see this tax doing the same thing. We pay an extra 12c per gallon and the DOT gets a fraction of a cent of that.

C'mon man, there's inner-city night basketball (with free snack) that needs to be payed for. Get with the program.

Belmont31R
06-19-14, 22:32

Ours is about $60 a year.

But if we let all the vehicle based fees and taxes only go towards roads they'd actually have to justify why we have such shitty roads in the US and why most road systems have never been expanded to meet the current population.

Then we get stuck with toll roads we paid to build then get to pay daily to drive on.

SilverBullet432
06-19-14, 22:37

Plenty of jobs down here for those who want to work.

interfan
06-19-14, 22:49
Oil companies aren't stupid. Every time they get nailed with another mountain of fees they cut drilling and fracks till the heat goes away. There's already enough fees, taxes, rules, regulations etc... The gov. just needs to learn to get by on the billions they already rape people for. I used to be a tenth as bad as uncle sugar with money before my wife taught me better spending habits and my life went into the gutter. After my experience with overspending I honestly don't know how the government can even still exists. There's only a hundred theories available that would improve our economic situation and the government ignores every single one of them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I don't mean additional fees, taxes, or costs, just allowing the oil companies to purchase permits and leases to drill on public land. This isn't an easy process now.

As far as lessons on overspending, you wouldn't have learned yours if you could print your own money. That is the problem with fiat currency and unrestrained ideological spending.

Plenty of jobs down here for those who want to work.

There are in North Dakota, too. In North Dakota, there is 1% unemployment and higher wages are the norm due to demand for workers. Oil fields employ people, as does all the ancillary industries around it, and the service providers, retailers, etc. that cater to the workers. Anecdotally, a Walmart cashier starts at $17.50/hr in Fargo. For a country with a shrunken workforce, this is something that would certainly help more than a tax increase.

rjacobs
06-19-14, 23:27
Ours is about $60 a year.

But if we let all the vehicle based fees and taxes only go towards roads they'd actually have to justify why we have such shitty roads in the US and why most road systems have never been expanded to meet the current population.

Then we get stuck with toll roads we paid to build then get to pay daily to drive on.

OH WE THEN PAY AN ADDITIONAL FEE FOR THE PLATES.

So we pay personal property tax on the vehicles then pay another 30-70 bucks(depending on what vehicle you have like a truck over 12.5k is more, 2 door little car is less, etc...) to get your plates. We pay tax to the county and the plate fee to the Missouri Department of Revenue. Its a big circle jerk. But we dont have a single toll road(although I am 100% sure its been tried over and over and over again).

BUT our real estate tax is fairly low. It varies but I believe the average across the state is .98%. They value personal property at 19% of the fair market value which is 5-33% of the actual cash value. No frickin clue how they came up with that formula or how they determine the fair market value.

They get you one way or another. My friends in TX cant believe we pay tax on our vehicles every year, but when I ask them what they pay for their real estate tax I still come out ahead.

skydivr
06-20-14, 09:45
Believe me, Tennesseans are not currently happy with Either of their Senators...but Lamar is the main effort at the moment. Corker's time is coming...