PDA

View Full Version : Question Different rifle designations

223to45
06-19-14, 18:50
Ok I hear people on here refer to different rifles like MK12 mod 0 or mod1 or MK18 and there are others people list, some I know .
But I was wondering if there was a list of what these rifles are just so I have a better understanding, same with ammo too, XM193 and 855 I know, but there are several I don't. Is there some sort of list for that too.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Moonlight Again
06-19-14, 19:16
Ok I hear people on here refer to different rifles like MK12 mod 0 or mod1 or MK18 and there are others people list, some I know .
But I was wondering if there was a list of what these rifles are just so I have a better understanding, same with ammo too, XM193 and 855 I know, but there are several I don't. Is there some sort of list for that too.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Google (or bing, or duckduckgo) is your friend on this one. Offered in a friendly tone, not trying to be a dick.

ETA: For each of the rifle or ammo types you listed, typing their name in got me, quickly, to a reasonable summary of what they were. Based on my experience here, self reliance is a virtue that they try to inculcate in all incoming tadpoles/freshmen/FNGs.

Dionysusigma
06-19-14, 19:28
For ammunition variants, I refer to this page often: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO#Military_cartridge_types Though the initial list is fairly exhaustive, it is immediately followed by several furthered sections for each of the more common loadings.

223to45
06-20-14, 10:00
Google (or bing, or duckduckgo) is your friend on this one. Offered in a friendly tone, not trying to be a dick.

ETA: For each of the rifle or ammo types you listed, typing their name in got me, quickly, to a reasonable summary of what they were. Based on my experience here, self reliance is a virtue that they try to inculcate in all incoming tadpoles/freshmen/FNGs.

Yes I realize questions are forbidden , but you can't build post count using google .

223to45
06-20-14, 10:02
For ammunition variants, I refer to this page often: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO#Military_cartridge_types Though the initial list is fairly exhaustive, it is immediately followed by several furthered sections for each of the more common loadings.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for, there is quite a few more then I thought there was. That also lead me the a list of the different weapon designations and what they consist of.

Thanks.

Moonlight Again
06-20-14, 10:18
Yes I realize questions are forbidden , but you can't build post count using google .

Dang I thought I was the only one that felt that way! And forbidden might be slightly too strong a word . . . :D

RWCRaiden
06-20-14, 10:25
To answer your question,

Mk12- Special purpose rifle built by Crane for the Navy (I think). It's basically a DMR, 18" barrel, A2 lower with fixed stock. As my buddy in the Marines told me, it's a "headshot gun".

Mk18- CQB rifle with a 10.5" barrel, quad rail. Kicking in doors is what this is good for.

223to45
06-20-14, 11:01
To answer your question,

Mk12- Special purpose rifle built by Crane for the Navy (I think). It's basically a DMR, 18" barrel, A2 lower with fixed stock. As my buddy in the Marines told me, it's a "headshot gun".

Mk18- CQB rifle with a 10.5" barrel, quad rail. Kicking in doors is what this is good for.

Thanks, but I was actually looking for all the different ones, those are just two I could remember.

But that is OK , I have list now ,and description of what they are. For some reason I always forget about Wikipedia .

RWCRaiden
06-20-14, 12:50
Mk 0 and Mk 1 maybe is a difference in barrel, compensator, grip, stock, etc.

Google and wikipedia rule.

MistWolf
06-20-14, 19:21
Too many designations to remember. I break AR types into basic categories: SBR, Carbine and Rifle. Then by sight type- Iron Sights for Old Farts and Riflemen, RDS for for close to medium work and magnified optics for longer ranges. If they have a bipod, they are either for serious shooters or Mall Ninjas.

For example, if I look up to see what a Mk Something-Or-Other is and it has a 14.5 inch barrel and a scope, it's a Long Range Carbine. If it has a bipod, it's set up for Serious Shooting. If it has a bipod and a vertical foregrip, it's for a Mall Ninja. Maybe it's not by the book, but it's KISS and hasn't steered me wrong yet :)

steyrman13
06-20-14, 19:26

Dang I thought I was the only one that felt that way! And forbidden might be slightly too strong a word . . . :D
Y'all do realize that isn't the design behind post count limits? They are there to become a contributing member not a lazy question asker. Not trying to be harsh about it, but the saying is to read/search more, post less.

Back to the topic. Google really is probably the better place to look up all the designations. There are several places it will yield results such as (I know it's not always 100%) Wikipedia, but also places like HCS high caliber sales which sales the exact crane variants.

Moonlight Again
06-20-14, 19:36
Y'all do realize that isn't the design behind post count limits? They are there to become a contributing member not a lazy question asker. Not trying to be harsh about it, but the saying is to read/search more, post less.

Back to the topic. Google really is probably the better place to look up all the designations. There are several places it will yield results such as (I know it's not always 100%) Wikipedia, but also places like HCS high caliber sales which sales the exact crane variants.

It all depends on how you define 'lazy question asker' I suppose. There certainly is validity in expecting new members to read deeply before starting to ask questions, but any rule can be taken to an extreme. Some dude in some book one time said that there was nothing new under the sun.

steyrman13
06-20-14, 19:37
Start here too
http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/index.html

Moonlight Again
06-20-14, 19:38
Start here too
http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/index.html

Can I say that's a great link without any accusations of post padding?

steyrman13
06-20-14, 19:42
Can I say that's a great link without any accusations of post padding?

Ha yeah. I was just saying you mentioned no other way to boost post count.
It would be nice if there was a sticky for the ammo and model MKx modx/ MxAx designations.