PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical 870 non mim extractor question

K1tt3n5
06-20-14, 00:15
So after reading numerous suggestions to replace the mim extractor in my 870 with a non mim extractor I took the advice and ordered the extractor. Install was straight forward enough and when it came time to insert the new extractor it was insanely tight. Ok so maybe it just has a burr or something. I took a fine stone to both sides of it and made it slightly more narrow. Now it did fit better and half way worked. Not being comfortable with having a hd shot gun that I had to modify a part on that I was under the influence that it was a drop in I ordered another one thinking it was just a defect or something. I received the new one from brownells today and same story. I actually tried to cycle a round with it and it has zero ejection with the new non mim extractor. Am I ordering the wrong one, or am I mentally challenged here? Forgive me for butchering shotgun terminology as well as for butchering the english language. I'm exhausted and frustrated.

Shotgun
870 tactical with an 18.5" barrel. It's the model that does not have the "tactical" muzzle device/ choke that and only accepts the barrel it originally came with do to the factory magazine tube holding 6 rounds with the brace further up on the barrel. I have had no issues whatsoever with this gun until I tried to "upgrade" to the non mim extractor.

Part I ordered and link to it
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/extractor-non-mim-extractor-non-mim-sku767-161-760-10745-27187.aspx
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/proto19/34B01E55-C801-4AE8-AFDE-96EC663D28EB.jpg

My shotgun
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/proto19/null-95.jpg

Brandon04GT
06-20-14, 00:45
What do you mean by "zero ejection"?

K1tt3n5
06-20-14, 01:07
What do you mean by "zero ejection"?

Should've said extraction. With the very tight non mim extractor my 870 does not eject or extract shot shells.

Brandon04GT
06-20-14, 01:08
So with a shell in the chamber and action in battery, as you hit the slide release and rack it back, the new extractor is not yanking the shell out of the chamber?

K1tt3n5
06-20-14, 01:11
So with a shell in the chamber and action in battery, as you hit the slide release and rack it back, the new extractor is not yanking the shell out of the chamber?

Correct. The extractor is far too tight in the bolt to do anything.

Brandon04GT
06-20-14, 01:15
Hmm...So basically the extractor is so tight that it can't even move to pop over the shell rim? Does the action even fully lock into battery? With the bolt half-way back, can you use your finger to pull the extractor in and out against the extractor spring tension?

Do you have a caliper? If so, maybe you can measure the thickness of both the mim and non-mim extractors and report back.

K1tt3n5
06-20-14, 01:19
Hmm...So basically the extractor is so tight that it can't even move to pop over the shell rim? Does the action even fully lock into battery? With the bolt half-way back, can you use your finger to pull the extractor in and out against the extractor spring tension?

The extractor will move over the shell and go fully into battery, but it does not appear to fully close over the rim to extract it from the chamber. With the bolt half way back moving the extractor is equally as hard.

Brandon04GT
06-20-14, 01:40
Well the extractor shouldn't feel that tight so my first guess would be that it is simply too thick. I'm really curious about its thickness and it would be nice to have both the stock extractor and your new one caliper'd to ascertain that. First thing I would do is to just stone the sides until it fits well and then go from there.

Some of the relatively recent non-mim extractors did not come with a beveled relief to prevent the extractor from standing proud of the bolt and scraping the inside of receivers. If I recall correctly, Aippi from AI&P Tactical recently commented that Remington switched suppliers and found one who could make the proper relief cuts. Maybe there is a thickness issue with theirs?

Do your new non-mim extractors have a relief cut on the outside?

K1tt3n5
06-20-14, 01:56
Well the extractor shouldn't feel that tight so my first guess would be that it is simply too thick. I'm really curious about its thickness and it would be nice to have both the stock extractor and your new one caliper'd to ascertain that. First thing I would do is to just stone the sides until it fits well and then go from there.

Some of the relatively recent non-mim extractors did not come with a beveled relief to prevent the extractor from standing proud of the bolt and scraping the inside of receivers. If I recall correctly, Aippi from AI&P Tactical recently commented that Remington switched suppliers and found one who could make the proper relief cuts. Maybe there is a thickness issue with theirs?

Do your new non-mim extractors have a relief cut on the outside?
I stoned the original until it fit and functioned, but didn't see the point in keeping an extractor in the gun that I had to make work. Both non mim extractors I received and the original mim extractors have the beveled edge on them to prevent them from scoring the inside of the receiver. That being said both of the non mims did score the receiver because that did not fully close when the action was pulled rearward.

Robb Jensen
06-20-14, 06:24
Interesting I installed a non-MIM Brownells extractor about a 1.5yrs ago in my 870 after I got it back from Remington, 400 rounds on the new extractor and it's run 100%. It's an older 870 that didn't have the flexitab lifter so Remington upgraded it to the new lifter, slide, bolt and bolt carrier when I returned it for a new shell latch because it was double feeding and would lockup the gun (they staked the shit out of the new one BTW).

GH41
06-20-14, 06:32
I would feel more comfortable using the original extractor than a steel one with the surface hardening compromised by stoning. Maybe the bolt is out of spec. Any chance you have a friend with an 870 you can try the new one in?

K1tt3n5
06-20-14, 09:55
I'll have to head over to my parents and snag my dads 30 year old 870.

K1tt3n5
06-21-14, 23:19
Squaring up the extractor port on the breach bolt did the trick. Thanks again to J.D. At AI&P!