PDA

View Full Version : Ebola fun

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dead Man
06-21-14, 00:09
I'm surprised nobody is talking about this around here.

Currently being in a state of employment limbo, I find myself driving around or doing other non-work related tasks during normal business hours. As such, I've had a little bit of time to catch up on what's new. Apparently we're all about to die, and nobody bothered to tell me!

Is this being discussed in the media at all? I don't have a television. I get all of my news from general discussion sections on internet forums and 30-day-old articles shared on Facebook.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/ebola-totally-out-control-doctors-without-borders-says-n136856

Outbreak, or 12 Monkeys?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1C_Tw7x2Isj93iqnnZa_nz-zlgUs8bpZ3nK_hNnCdl0owDW01

Belmont31R
06-21-14, 00:38
Ebola kills so fast that it actually keeps the disease pretty isolated. Viruses like the flu tend to have a longer incubation time and people are sick longer. That means a lot more chances for the disease to spread itself.

ABNAK
06-21-14, 01:32
I was surprised to see that about half survived! I thought it was like 100% fatal. I'll bet if you "survive" your organs are f****d (like kidney and renal failure....wonder what the long-term survival is).

ETA: I remember seeing something on TV a while back with a guy named Ken Alibek, who had worked on the Soviets biological warfare program (or was somehow associated with it). IIRC he said at one time the Russkies were trying to weaponize a hybrid of Ebola and the flu. The significance was the ease of transmission like the flu has but the overhwhelming fatality rate and horror of Ebola.

Sensei
06-21-14, 10:32
Ebola kills so fast that it actually keeps the disease pretty isolated. Viruses like the flu tend to have a longer incubation time and people are sick longer. That means a lot more chances for the disease to spread itself.

Actually, Ebola has a longer incubation period between 2 days and three weeks. Influenza is only 1-4 days (mean of 2). The real reason why you don't see Ebola creeping up on your doorstep is the mode of transmission. Ebola requires person-to-person contact or handling infective animal reservoirs. That means direct contact with blood, secretions, etc. Some cultural norms in Africa aid in the transmission as it is customary for relatives to "handle" the body. Why people would want to dry hump a fly-covered, melting corpse is beyond me; chalk it up to natural selection. Contrast this with influenza transmission which can occur by respiratory droplet which travel a few feet. Thus, the scene in Outbreak where the person sneezes in a theater and infects the whole room is much more applicable to Influenza or better yet, Varicella (a true aerosol disease on particles less than 10 microns). An Ebola sneeze is only dangerous if you catch the snot spray or get a slimy handshake. ;)

Sensei
06-21-14, 10:41
I was surprised to see that about half survived! I thought it was like 100% fatal. I'll bet if you "survive" your organs are f****d (like kidney and renal failure....wonder what the long-term survival is).

ETA: I remember seeing something on TV a while back with a guy named Ken Alibek, who had worked on the Soviets biological warfare program (or was somehow associated with it). IIRC he said at one time the Russkies were trying to weaponize a hybrid of Ebola and the flu. The significance was the ease of transmission like the flu has but the overhwhelming fatality rate and horror of Ebola.

That is correct. The idea was to create a strain of Ebola that could be transmitted by respiratory droplet or aerosol. It was not successful outside of a laboratory environment to the best of our knowledge.

Dead Man
06-21-14, 11:15

That's so far- a lot of those will still die.

Voodoochild
06-21-14, 11:55
I lived and worked for 2 + years in Liberia (West Africa). And if this EBola really breaks out in that region they are screwed. There is little to no medical support there. Hospitals are pretty freaking scary. And sanitation is non exsistent.

BoringGuy45
06-21-14, 12:28

The worst strain of Ebola, the Zaire strain, is about 80 to 90% fatal in all cases. The Sudan strain is somewhat milder, with a fatality rate of about 55% give or take, though some outbreaks have had upwards of an 70% fatality rate. There's three other strains, Tai Forest, of which there's only been one confirmed case and it was non-fatal, the Uganda strain, which historically has been about 35 to 50% fatal, and the Reston strain, which only affects monkeys. The current outbreak is the Zaire strain, though the this particular one doesn't seem to be quite as virulent as past outbreaks. The fortunate very few who survive Ebola Zaire usually only get it mildly and often have very quick recovery. The survivors who did get it severely do have some long term effects, but from what I've read, major organ failure usually isn't one of them. Ebola is a completely systematic disease and if it has destroyed one major organ, it's probably destroyed them all and the case is fatal.

Another reason why Sub Saharan Africa is not a place I would like to go. In addition to the Ebola viruses, there's the closely related Marburg virus, Lassa fever, Crimean-Congo fever, Rift Valley fever, plus bubonic plague and a bunch of other bad bacterial diseases, and of course, AIDS.

Dead Man
06-21-14, 12:31
I lived and worked for 2 + years in Liberia (West Africa). And if this EBola really breaks out in that region they are screwed. There is little to no medical support there. Hospitals are pretty freaking scary. And sanitation is non exsistent.

Seems like an inevitability. There's almost zero education on the matter - half the population probably thinks it's a curse sent by a warlord's witch doctor.

Worst outbreak yet, three countries, 600 confirmed cases and counting, no containment, one strain. Unfortunately for the rest of us, there are airports in West Africa.

Dead Man
06-21-14, 12:36
The worst strain of Ebola, the Zaire strain, is about 80 to 90% fatal in all cases. The Sudan strain is somewhat milder, with a fatality rate of about 55% give or take, though some outbreaks have had upwards of an 70% fatality rate. There's three other strains, Tai Forest, of which there's only been one confirmed case and it was non-fatal, the Uganda strain, which historically has been about 35 to 50% fatal, and the Reston strain, which only affects monkeys. The current outbreak is the Zaire strain, though the this particular one doesn't seem to be quite as virulent as past outbreaks. The fortunate very few who survive Ebola Zaire usually only get it mildly and often have very quick recovery. The survivors who did get it severely do have some long term effects, but from what I've read, major organ failure usually isn't one of them. Ebola is a completely systematic disease and if it has destroyed one major organ, it's probably destroyed them all and the case is fatal.

My limited reading on the matter left me with the impression the dividing line is whether actual hemorrhaging starts in an individual; if your body can fight it off before major tissue damage, you'll probably be OK. But once it crosses that line, there's basically no hope, and the cause of death is multiple major organ failure.

JohnnyC
06-21-14, 13:11
I have no doubt that we've weaponized all sorts of nasty shit. There's a range in Colorado that the F-111's out of neighboring states would use and the TTP if an ejection was to occur was STAY IN THE CAPSULE. A PJ in a spacesuit would get winched in, hook up the capsule to a helicopter, and they would fly the entire cockpit capsule to a safe place for decontamination before the pilots could even pop the canopy. We've invented some horrible, horrible shit over the years. I have no doubt that the stuff we've made could wipe out every human on earth in such short order that the only thing left would be uncontacted tribes in the amazon and a bunch of news footage of the apocalypse.

Dead Man
06-21-14, 14:21
http://www.infowars.com/report-ebola-suspected-in-europe-broken-through-all-containment-efforts/

This obviously proved to be false, along with about 90% of all infowarsdotcom stories.

Does Alex ever answer for all of the alarmist bullshit he circulates for personal profit?

Safetyhit
06-21-14, 16:01
http://www.infowars.com/report-ebola-suspected-in-europe-broken-through-all-containment-efforts/

This obviously proved to be false, along with about 90% of all infowarsdotcom stories.

Does Alex ever answer for all of the alarmist bullshit he circulates for personal profit?

Before your time here we had a number of well spoken individuals who routinely posted that crap. Thankfully after some constructive criticism they've either disappeared or adjusted their commentary to at least sound sane.

rero360
06-21-14, 16:40

Imagine if one was to mix rabies in with the Ebola and flu, I imagine the result would be similar to 28 Days Later.

Sensei
06-22-14, 10:38
Imagine if one was to mix rabies in with the Ebola and flu, I imagine the result would be similar to 28 Days Later.

Umm, no. Rabies is a disease with an incubation that ranges in weeks to years. Rabid people do not run around trying to eat your brain. If you look, there are several videos showing the progression of rabies in a human. You will see that they behave nothing like what you see in 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, or WWZ.

That was a movie which means that it was suppose to entertain you. It has no basis in reality. Zombies do not exist, nor will they ever.

C-grunt
06-22-14, 10:56
Lo
. Zombies do not exist, nor will they ever.

That's what they all say...... until the zombies come.

Crow Hunter
06-22-14, 10:56
Umm, no. Rabies is a disease with an incubation that ranges in weeks to years. Rabid people do not run around trying to eat your brain. If you look, there are several videos showing the progression of rabies in a human. You will see that they behave nothing like what you see in 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, or WWZ.

That was a movie which means that it was suppose to entertain you. It has no basis in reality. Zombies do not exist, nor will they ever.

Obviously they do exist or you wouldn't have been so direct about it. You are probably in the process of weaponizing a zombie disease right now to take over the world.

Just like aliens in Area 51 that took down the Twin Towers and hid all the WMDs in Iraq and have been using HAARP to control my mind.

I know how you gubbamint types are.

That is why I have tinfoil! Hah!

:D

Dead Man
06-22-14, 11:06
Seems the "totally out of control" phrase is being tossed around by more organizations

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27953155

Original comment:

‘‘The reality is clear that the epidemic is now in a second wave,’’ Bart Janssens, operations director for Doctors Without Borders in Brussels, told the AP. ‘‘And, for me, it is totally out of control.’’

I can understand when a man on the ground, witnessing the carnage first hand, feels like it's "out of control," but I definitely don't think that's a phrase that should be in media circulation.

Sensei
06-22-14, 13:03
Gotta love those Docs Without Borders types; they go insert themselves in the worst shitholes in the world and start screaming that it is out of control. I have a suggestion - tell Dr. Janssens to go to the center of Africa, look around, and let me know what he thinks is in control. To the left we have kids getting their arms cut off for not mining enough diamonds, to the right there is mass famine and war, look down and there is rampant crime, look up and see the Muslims pillaging our embassy. Truth is, Africa has always been a disaster, is a disaster, and will continue to be a disaster - no matter what the progressives want us to do.

And that is the heart of the issue. Progressives will inflate any story to get the industrialized world further into the mess that is Africa. I suppose its part of the white guilt that we are supposed to feel. From global warming; to controlling the spread of HIV; to fighting malaria; to killing some murderous warlord; everybody wants us in Africa. Hell, we even created an Africa Command with an African looking General (we wouldn't want a white guy commanding Africa, sends the wrong message) to supervise the mess. Too bad the disaster that is Africa rubbed off on the leadership, right Gen. Ward? Listen folks, ain't nobody gonna fix Africa except the Africans. There is a famous saying - TIA. I suggest you respect it.

montanadave
06-22-14, 13:54
There is a famous saying - TIA. I suggest you respect it.

Transient ischemic attack?

Dead Man
06-22-14, 14:05
Not to mention the fact that you cannot read a DWB article or visit any page on their website without having an agonized video flashing scenes of fly covered children and a narrative begging for money popping up.

Sensei
06-22-14, 16:32
Transient ischemic attack?

This Is Africa

Recently made famous by the 2006 movie Blood Diamond but in use for much longer for people who have been to the God forsaken continent.

Traveshamockery
06-23-14, 05:48
Not to mention the fact that you cannot read a DWB article or visit any page on their website without having an agonized video flashing scenes of fly covered children and a narrative begging for money popping up.

After they sold my personal information to Planned Parenthood and the Sierra Club they were off my list for good.

Dead Man
07-14-14, 13:09
Up to 884 confirmed and suspect, as of 8 days ago. Waiting for updated figures.

That are known about. Apparently people are now fleeing or hiding their family members when they come down with symptoms, out of fears that health workers will kill them or steal their souls. So the figures are becoming less reliable as rumors spread.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2014_07_10_ebola/en/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-outbreak-in-west-africa-now-the-largest-on-record/

Ick
07-14-14, 13:45
I wonder, if an outbreak in the USA comes to the point where the officials require household pets to be turned-in for extermination... how many will NOT comply voluntarily? How many will go the next step and will be willing to use force to prevent such a seizure?

Will people regret having purchased a dog-license for Fido in the past.... essentially providing a list for the authorities to make a thorough sweep?

Imagine the infighting of neighbor calling the authorities on a neighbor that didn't turn in their pet.

Should that happen what can we infer about us as a society in terms of the future of firearm registration and ownership?

Perhaps we already know the answers to these questions.

alienb1212
07-14-14, 16:15
Up to 884 confirmed and suspect, as of 8 days ago. Waiting for updated figures.

That are known about. Apparently people are now fleeing or hiding their family members when they come down with symptoms, out of fears that health workers will kill them or steal their souls. So the figures are becoming less reliable as rumors spread.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2014_07_10_ebola/en/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-outbreak-in-west-africa-now-the-largest-on-record/

Uh...kill...or steal their souls? Did I miss something?

ABNAK
07-14-14, 16:30

It's Africa dude, what do you expect? It's destined to remain the shithole it's always been. Corruption, stupidity, superstition, and a far-from-modern tribal mentality all lead to "success" on the world scene. :rolleyes:

I always laugh when I here of the Chinese trying to get their foot in Africa's door. Go for it, you'll find out what the West found out centuries ago.

Sensei
07-23-14, 23:12
Oops…

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/23/uk-health-ebola-africa-idINKBN0FS11520140723?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=602

The head doctor fighting the deadly tropical virus Ebola in Sierra Leone has himself caught the disease, the government said.

jpmuscle
07-23-14, 23:57
Oops…

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/23/uk-health-ebola-africa-idINKBN0FS11520140723?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=602
Talk about having a bad day. I get frumpy if I miss a day from the gym..

Dead Man
07-24-14, 00:11
Broke 1000, now at 1048

Apparently we're now calling it "EVD," for Ebola Viral Disease.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2014/07/west-africa-ebola-outbreak-total-tops-1000

Moose-Knuckle
07-24-14, 03:26
I have no doubt that we've weaponized all sorts of nasty shit. There's a range in Colorado that the F-111's out of neighboring states would use and the TTP if an ejection was to occur was STAY IN THE CAPSULE. A PJ in a spacesuit would get winched in, hook up the capsule to a helicopter, and they would fly the entire cockpit capsule to a safe place for decontamination before the pilots could even pop the canopy. We've invented some horrible, horrible shit over the years. I have no doubt that the stuff we've made could wipe out every human on earth in such short order that the only thing left would be uncontacted tribes in the amazon and a bunch of news footage of the apocalypse.

CO huh, damn. We have no way of knowing where all the nasty shit is. I've heard the scuttlebutt that the Dugway Proving Ground in UT is a hot bed for this sort of thing. I couldn't believe that the bastards wanted to move the PIADC which is under DHS control to freaking KS, dead center of CONUS. Talk about asking for trouble . . .

Dead Man
07-26-14, 00:35
Welcome to Nigeria.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/nigeria-confirms-ebola-death-24719171

I hope someone is keeping tabs on the rest of those passengers...

Denali
07-26-14, 11:24

Another reason why Sub Saharan Africa is not a place I would like to go. In addition to the Ebola viruses, there's the closely related Marburg virus, Lassa fever, Crimean-Congo fever, Rift Valley fever, plus bubonic plague and a bunch of other bad bacterial diseases, and of course, AIDS.

Is it not true that Reston caused quite a stir as it actually "escaped" the lab in which it was being "errr" studied?

Denali
07-26-14, 11:41
Before your time here we had a number of well spoken individuals who routinely posted that crap. Thankfully after some constructive criticism they've either disappeared or adjusted their commentary to at least sound sane.
I am certainly no fan of the AlexJones/infowars cult, however there are definitely reports of ebola in Pisa Italy(40 + infections).

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ffc_1398694790

Denali
07-26-14, 17:40
Oops…

A much bigger oops.....
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/nigeria-death-shows-ebola-spread-air-travel-24728128

It appears that a fifth country is now harboring ebola victims, it has also been confirmed that at least one of those victims was diagnosed just before his death in a different nation then the one in which he had been originally infected in, he got there via airliner....

Nigerian health authorities raced to stop the spread of Ebola on Saturday after a man sick with one of the world's deadliest diseases brought it by plane to Lagos, Africa's largest city with 21 million people.

The fact that the traveler from Liberia could board an international flight also raised new fears that other passengers could take the disease beyond Africa due to weak inspection of passengers and the fact Ebola's symptoms are similar to other diseases.

Officials in the country of Togo, where the sick man's flight had a stopover, also went on high alert after learning that Ebola could possibly have spread to a fifth country.

Screening people as they enter the country may help slow the spread of the disease, but it is no guarantee Ebola won't travel by airplane, according to Dr. Lance Plyler, who heads Ebola medical efforts in Liberia for aid organization Samaritan's Purse.

"Unfortunately the initial signs of Ebola imitate other diseases, like malaria or typhoid," he said.

Kain
07-26-14, 17:54

As has already been said, TIA mate!

jpmuscle
07-26-14, 18:10
What this thread and discussion topic suggests is that if you go to Africa and almost anywhere OCONUS, your going to have a bad time...

Moose-Knuckle
07-26-14, 18:42
At the rate we're going, it won't be long before we have an outbreak here.

montanadave
07-26-14, 20:03
So an Ebola virus walks into a bar. "Hey! We don't serve your kind in here," says the bartender. "Well, you're a lousy host," responds the virus.

Sensei
07-26-14, 22:47

Here is the deal. It is transmitted only through direct contact with infective secretions: blood, saliva, tears, mucous membranes, semen, etc. Unlike HIV which generally requires broken skin/membrane + contact with blood, semen, or vaginal secretions, Ebola is present in saliva early during the course of the disease (food borne illness), tears, and sweat. It is also persistent in semen for weeks after the illness which means that it is the gift that keeps on giving. Fortunately, it is not droplet or aerosol transmitted like influenza or SARS which is what has kept millions from dying.

The problem is that the incubation period is 2 days to 3 weeks long. Thus, someone can contract the disease and not have symptoms while they travel the world; they shed virus only near the time of symptoms - we think. Up until now, the disease was located primarily in remote areas of Africa where it was hard to get anywhere within 2 weeks. However, recent reports of cases boarding international flights and arriving in populated centers of Western Africa is a significant step in the wrong direction. I am sure there are already discussions about a travel embargo on parts of NW Africa.

If we see cases in Europe or North America the economic impact alone would be catastrophic. While we have the capability to control the spread, the cost in terms of panic, lost productivity, etc. could rival 911.

As of right now, there is no need to head for the hills. However, that could change real fast if we get a case in the US.

Denali
07-26-14, 23:33

It is not very confidence building to say the least....

Patrick Sawyer, a consultant for the Liberian Ministry of Finance arrived in Nigeria on Tuesday and was immediately detained by health authorities suspecting he might have Ebola, Plyler said.

On his way to Lagos, Sawyer's plane also stopped in Lome, Togo, according to the World Health Organization.

Authorities announced Friday that blood tests from the Lagos University Teaching Hospital confirmed Sawyer died of Ebola earlier that day.

Sawyer reportedly did not show Ebola symptoms when he boarded the plane, Plyler said, but by the time he arrived in Nigeria he was vomiting and had diarrhea. There has not been another recently recorded case of Ebola spreading through air travel, he added.

Nearly 50 other passengers on the flight are being monitored for signs of Ebola but are not being kept in isolation, said an employee at Nigeria's Ministry of Health, who insisted on anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

Sawyer's sister also died of Ebola in Liberia, according to Liberian officials, but he claimed to have had no contact with her. Ebola is highly contagious and kills more than 70 percent of people infected.

Dead Man
07-27-14, 00:12
I am certainly no fan of the AlexJones/infowars cult, however there are definitely reports of ebola in Pisa Italy(40 + infections).

Aside from that one pretty crappy article on liveleak, I haven't seen a single piece of corroborating evidence. Italy certainly denied it.

But it's probably coming, sorry to say. And like the gentleman said above - though it won't be the apocalyptic epidemic everyone will panic it into, it will likely cause a degree of terrorized pandemonium.

Averageman
07-27-14, 07:55
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/26/american-doctor-in-africa-tests-positive-for-ebola/20937451/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D507476

An aid organization says that an American doctor working with Ebola patients in Liberia has tested positive for the deadly virus.
Strickland says that Brantly began serving in Africa as part of a post-residency program before the Ebola outbreak began. The deadly disease has already killed 672 in several countries since the outbreak began earlier this year.

I cannot imagine dying for these people or the organization..

alienb1212
07-27-14, 09:55
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/26/american-doctor-in-africa-tests-positive-for-ebola/20937451/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D507476

An aid organization says that an American doctor working with Ebola patients in Liberia has tested positive for the deadly virus.
Strickland says that Brantly began serving in Africa as part of a post-residency program before the Ebola outbreak began. The deadly disease has already killed 672 in several countries since the outbreak began earlier this year.

"These people" ?

Are they somehow less human than someone over here?

montanadave
07-27-14, 09:57
"These people" ?

Are they somehow less human than someone over here?

I, too, found that particular choice of words a tad disconcerting.

Averageman
07-27-14, 10:29
These people;
I'm sorry, perhaps that was a bit cold.
Africa has African problems. We have tried for the most part to help them for the better part of a century. For the most part from what I understand it has been at a great loss with little return.
At some point the people you seek to help need to help themselves and move on in to the 21st Century with the rest of us. Assisting with their health issues and building the economies of African Countries doesn't seem to work or it would have by now.
I'm perhaps a bit jaded when I see charities try and help these poor forgotten people because every time I do, I wonder who's pockets will be filled from those coffers?
Sorry, I'm a grumpy old man.

montanadave
07-27-14, 10:38
These people;
I'm sorry, perhaps that was a bit cold.
Africa has African problems. We have tried for the most part to help them for the better part of a century. For the most part from what I understand it has been at a great loss with little return.
At some point the people you seek to help need to help themselves and move on in to the 21st Century with the rest of us. Assisting with their health issues and building the economies of African Countries doesn't seem to work or it would have by now.
I'm perhaps a bit jaded when I see charities try and help these poor forgotten people because every time I do, I wonder who's pockets will be filled from those coffers?
Sorry, I'm a grumpy old man.

This I can understand. And I find little here I would argue with.

Averageman
07-27-14, 11:04
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-outbreak-nigeria-begins-screening-for-deadly-virus-1.2719242

Nigerian health authorities are racing to stop the spread of Ebola after a man brought the deadly and highly contagious disease by plane to Lagos, Africa's largest city with 21 million people.

The fact that the traveller from Liberia could board an international flight also raised new fears that other passengers could take the disease beyond Africa due to weak inspection of passengers and the fact Ebola's symptoms are similar to other diseases.

Ebola is passed by touching bodily fluids of patients even after they die, he said. Traditional burials that include rubbing the bodies of the dead contribute to the spread of the disease, Krishnan added.

You cannot fix this kind of stuff with Modern Medicine, Money and Logic.

Denali
07-27-14, 11:40

I think that such doctors and organizations exist because they understand all to well what is at stake here, that due to localized corruptions, poverty, ignorance & superstition, the ebola virus or some such similar agent, could easily migrate into Europe and beyond! Personally, I think it would be a good idea at this time to get on your knees and thank God that in his wisdom he chose to breath life into such spirits....What is happening here, http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/24/opinion/garrett-ebola/index.html is likely the primary reason many of these folks chose to get involved in the first place......

Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone are among the poorest, least governed states in the world. About half of the nations' adults are illiterate. The 11.75 million people of Guinea have a per capita annual income of merely $527, and their combined male/female life expectancy is 58 years. In 2011, the government of President Alpha Conde spent $7 on average per capita on health.
Life is no better for the 4.2 million people living in neighboring Liberia, where per capita income is $454, life expectancy is 62 years and the government of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf spends $18 per capita on health. In Sierra Leone, the 6 million residents have a per capita income of $809 per year, life expectancy is merely 46 years, and the government of the President, Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma, spent $13 per capita last year on health.

Since Ebola first broke out in March in Guinea, fear has gripped the region, coupled with suspicion and wild rumors. Some have proclaimed the epidemic "divine retribution" for past sins. In April, Guinean health officials failed to quarantine an Ebola patient who reportedly spread the virus from a remote area to the capital -- a lapse that undermined government credibility.
In April, a mob claiming that foreigners were spreading diseases attacked a Doctors Without Borders clinic in rural Guinea and forced the Nobel Peace Prize-winning group to abandon its mission. The charity returned only after it had negotiated its safety with local religious leaders. In the capital city of Conakry, families have been hiding their ailing relatives.
Even the local Red Cross was forced to abandon a part of the country after men brandishing knives surrounded them. And in one district, police fired tear gas at a mob that was trying to raid the morgue in order to give their loved ones proper burials, despite the risk of contagion.
As the epidemic spread to Sierra Leone in May, brought in by a traditional healer who tended to ailing Guineans and then returned home, similar problems surfaced. Family members defied a local quarantine, thereby spreading infection. By the end of May, authorities were losing track of Ebola sufferers amid widespread fleeing from health facilities; the toll of missing patients approached 60 by June.
Fighting Ebola through education Rare glimpse inside deadly Ebola clinic Inside an Ebola clinic in Guinea
Some local leaders spread rumors that "the white people" were conducting experiments, infecting Sierra Leonians or cutting off people's limbs. Doctors Without Borders warned that widespread belief that Ebola does not exist threatened to spread the disease regionally. Today the word "Ebola" carries so much stigma that few ailing individuals even seek diagnosis.

Denali
07-27-14, 11:54
And now for the really scary stuff, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2233956/Could-Ebola-airborne-New-research-shows-lethal-virus-spread-pigs-monkeys-contact.html

Fears are growing that the most lethal form of the Ebola virus can mutate into an airborne pathogen, making the spread of the terrifying disease more difficult to check.

It was previously thought the untreatable virus, which causes massive internal bleeding and multiple organ failure, could only be transmitted through contact with infected blood.

But now Canadian researchers have carried out experiments showing how monkeys can catch the deadly disease from infected pigs without coming into direct contact.

I believe(someone correct me if wrong)that back in 1990 or so, that the Reston strain of ebola which for some reason had not mutated to the extent that it could infect humans, only monkeys, went airborne, and was the source of some panic in the circles of those who are charged with combating such an outbreak if it were to occur....

Irish
07-27-14, 12:33
Interesting FB feed on the Sierra Leone's Ministry of Health page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ministry-of-Health-and-Sanitation-Sierra-Leone/281064805403702):

Ministry of Health and Sanitation

Ebola outbreak update: As of today, 26th July 2014, we have 116 cumulative number of survivors, 458 confirmed Ebola cases and 153 Ebola confirmed deaths. 82 patients are currently admitted at the Ebola treatment centers in Kenema and Kailahun.

The Ministry of Health & Sanitization and the World Health Organization have established a dedicated Ebola Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at the WHO Country Office in Freetown. The EOC is co-Directed by the Minister of Health, Ms. Miata Kargbo and the WHO Representative for Sierra Leone, Dr. Jacob Mufunda and consists of leaders and partners involved in our fight against Ebola.

The EOC will serve as the Sierra Leone National Central Command and Control Center for Outbreak Response activities and meets every day. The EOC members under the leadership of the Honourable Minister of Health and Sanitation unanimously decided at the July 24th 2014 meeting that the following actions be effected immediately:

• That the World Health Organisation (WHO) and MSF to take over the management of the Kenema treatment center
• WHO and MSF to bring more experts to run the treatment center in Kenema

The WHO Director General, Margaret Chan has upgraded the Ebola response in West Africa to a Grade 3, the highest level of any emergency response. A Grade 3 involves a multiple country event with a substantial public health consequence that requires a substantial WHO country office response and substantial international partner response. This means partners could deploy resources from other countries into the region

The EOC wishes the general public and all partners working in the healthcare sector to know that Dr. Sheikh Umar Khan is responding well to treatment

Dead Man
07-27-14, 14:09
I think that such doctors and organizations exist because they understand all to well what is at stake here, that due to localized corruptions, poverty, ignorance & superstition, the ebola virus or some such similar agent, could easily migrate into Europe and beyond! Personally, I think it would be a good idea at this time to get on your knees and thank God that in his wisdom he chose to breath life into such spirits....What is happening here, http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/24/opinion/garrett-ebola/index.html is likely the primary reason many of these folks chose to get involved in the first place......

Well said. If it wasn't for the efforts of those willing to put themselves as risk, the situation would already be substantially worse than it is. From a self-preservation standpoint.

From a humanitarian standpoint: these people who go to horrible places to do good are pretty much the only people doing good in those places. These men are carrying the torch of human kindness into dark places, and the act is beyond criticism. SYDM, to anyone attempting to do so.

Dead Man
07-27-14, 14:14

Seems like alarmist hogwash to me, at this point.

Denali
07-27-14, 16:04
Seems like alarmist hogwash to me, at this point.

The media certainly looks for any wave to ride to be sure, nonetheless I think that the only reason that this isn't more of a panic than it is, is due in large part to the difficulty in getting it to spread. I'm by no means an expert, but it seems to me that ebola is awfully hard to contract, that its transmission is via a very specific avenue, and outside of that vector it appears to be virtually impotent and unable to move itself with any more efficiency, and thank God! My take is that the real battle being fought is an attempt at staving off mutation of the virus into an airborne organism, something that if left unchecked, is almost a given. I am looking for data on Reston, its been a long time since I read about it, I seem to recall that the Reston strain went airborne, and that multiple people were infected, but never became ill. I thought I read that it was speculation that in going airborne it lost its punch with human hosts, yet remained 80-90% lethal to monkeys.

Denali
07-27-14, 16:33
http://richardpreston.net/preston-books/hot-zone

This is the link I was looking for, its to Preston's own web page, he wrote a bestselling book surrounding the Reston Virginia strain of Ebola, and it was very scary, even more so because it was true! His Book is titled, "The Hot Zone" and its something that once you pick up, cannot be put down.....

The Ebola virus kills nine out of ten of its victims so quickly and gruesomely that even biohazard experts are terrified. It is airborne, it is extremely contagious, and in the winter of 1989, it seemed about to burn through the suburbs of Washington D.C.

At Fort Detrick’s USAMRIID, an Army research facility outside the nation’s capital, a SWAT team of soldiers and scientists wearing biohazard space suits was organized to stop the outbreak of the exotic “hot” virus. The grim operation went on in secret for eighteen days, under unprecedented, dangerous conditions.

The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story in depth, giving a hair-raising account of the appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their outbreaks in the human race. From a remote African cave hot with Ebola virus, to an airplane over Africa that is carrying a sick passenger who dissolves into a human virus bomb, to the confines of a Biosafety Level 4 military lab where scientists risk their lives studying lethal substances that could kill them quickly and horribly, The Hot Zone describes situations that a few years ago would have been taken for science fiction. As the tropical wildernesses of the world are destroyed, previously unknown viruses that have lived undetected in the rain forest for eons are entering human populations. The appearance of AIDS is part of a larger pattern, and the implications for the future of the human species are terrifying.

Moose-Knuckle
07-27-14, 17:48
Anyone heard anything about infected people in Pisa, Italy? I've read a few blurps here and there but I think there was also a hoax story making the rounds.

Denali
07-27-14, 18:59
Anyone heard anything about infected people in Pisa, Italy? I've read a few blurps here and there but I think there was also a hoax story making the rounds.

I haven't. all of the early reports were apparently gleaned from a local Italian newscast that was apparently more speculation than reporting....

TAZ
07-27-14, 20:07
Color me stupid, but if its as bad they claim in Liberia, then why in Gods name hasn't travel to and from there been stopped?

I can understand why scientists form around the world travel to these locales to try and help. In the long run they aren't helping Africa, but the rest of the world as well. Its all fun and games till Ebola shows up in your neck of the woods and realize that we passed on dozens of chances to learn outside of our borders.

jpmuscle
07-27-14, 20:11
Nobody want to be the one to cry wolf and crash the world economy?

Averageman
07-27-14, 20:18
For all of the good Doctors without borders and the World Health Organization does, how can you begin to help people who lack the fundamental understanding of how to help themselves?
If you refuse to screen incoming passengers during such an epidemic, if you cannot educate those who have lost family members, if you cannot stop the spread of the disease due to political and economic forces it is beyond my understanding why you would risk your life.
I admire those who are willing to throw themselves in to the pyre in order to prevent the further spread of such disease, but at what point does it become pointless?
It wasn't that long ago and perhaps it still happens in Africa, that if a Man was infected with HIV, it was widely believed that the only cure was to rape a virgin. This wasn't going on in 1790, it was wide spread in 1990.
Blood Diamonds, Child Soldiers, Widespread Dismemberment against rival tribes, Mass Disease and famine, the West has a history of wasting the lives of some of its best and brightest in to Africa, but in the end it remains Africa.

Averageman
07-27-14, 20:25
Color me stupid, but if its as bad they claim in Liberia, then why in Gods name hasn't travel to and from there been stopped?

I can understand why scientists form around the world travel to these locales to try and help. In the long run they aren't helping Africa, but the rest of the world as well. Its all fun and games till Ebola shows up in your neck of the woods and realize that we passed on dozens of chances to learn outside of our borders.
Because it is Africa.
At some point you would close your borders, take governmental control of the hospitals and bury the dead under government control.
You are measuring an African problem by Western standards, it simply wont work that way.

BoringGuy45
07-27-14, 22:55
This is the link I was looking for, its to Preston's own web page, he wrote a bestselling book surrounding the Reston Virginia strain of Ebola, and it was very scary, even more so because it was true! His Book is titled, "The Hot Zone" and its something that once you pick up, cannot be put down.....

The Hot Zone is one my favorite books. I read it cover to cover at least 4 times by the time I was 13.

cinco
07-28-14, 10:21

Heard this morning on a newscast that the family of an American doctor (same one you mentioned?) who died from Ebola HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO RETURN HOME TO THE U.S.! "They showed no symptoms".

WTF'n hell! What are the chances that Dad (and I assume) wife and kids had NO physical contact (as discussed above) during the incubation/contagious stage?

Denali
07-28-14, 12:32
Heard this morning on a newscast that the family of an American doctor (same one you mentioned?) who died from Ebola HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO RETURN HOME TO THE U.S.! "They showed no symptoms".

WTF'n hell! What are the chances that Dad (and I assume) wife and kids had NO physical contact (as discussed above) during the incubation/contagious stage?

It seems obvious that certain scenarios would demand a very specific type of scrutiny, nonetheless, I believe that this bug is very hard to catch, requiring much more then casual contact with an infected individual, consider west Africa, where apparently four nations are now involved in the current episode and have been four about three or four months. Despite an absolutely horrific lack of sanitation and proper containment protocols, the disease has only infected about 1100 people! Here's a link to a very good article which quotes Dr Michael Osterholm from the University of Minnesota in which he explains how such a disease would peter out here in the states, http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/28/ebola-potential-to-spread/13267909/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomworld-topstories

While Ebola is a fearsome disease, it's actually much harder to spread than respiratory infections, such as influenza or measles. Those viruses pose a much greater threat on a plane or any confined space, says Osterholm, who notes that people cannot spread the Ebola virus simply by sneezing or coughing.

But Ebola does spread readily through body fluids, such as blood and saliva, Osterholm says. On a plane, a sick person could potentially contaminate the bathroom if he or she vomits or has diarrhea.

But Stephen Morse, an epidemiologist at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, says the issue of how Ebola spreads is complex.

Sweat and saliva carry much lower levels of the Ebola virus than blood and stool, so the virus spreads less readily through those fluids.

"I don't think we've seen actual cases (passed through contact with sweat or saliva)," Morse says. "There may someday be a strain that's more capable of doing that, but so far it's more theoretical than actual."

Ebola has spread in Africa partly because of religious customs, in which family members wash the bodies of deceased relatives to prepare them for burial.

cinco
07-28-14, 12:54
^ Makes me feel a little better.

Meanwhile, don't whether the following is funny or scary (h/t WRSA)...

http://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/ebola.jpg?w=926&h=310

Eurodriver
07-28-14, 13:22
I've read this thread cover to cover.

Just for clarification: Is Ebola only transmittable through direct human contact?

If someone coughs in a room that I am in, would I be at significant risk of catching it? Or does that person have to use my spoon, kiss me, etc? What about someone coughing in a room, the droplets get on a door handle, then I open the door and rub my eye.

I don't understand the "direct" part of this. I'm familiar with how AIDS is transmitted, and I'm familiar with how the common cold is transmitted. I didn't know there was something in between?

BoringGuy45
07-28-14, 13:58

Just for clarification: Is Ebola only transmittable through direct human contact?

If someone coughs in a room that I am in, would I be at significant risk of catching it? Or does that person have to use my spoon, kiss me, etc? What about someone coughing in a room, the droplets get on a door handle, then I open the door and rub my eye.

I don't understand the "direct" part of this. I'm familiar with how AIDS is transmitted, and I'm familiar with how the common cold is transmitted. I didn't know there was something in between?

The current known strains are not airborne, and it's unlikely that you would get it just being in the same room with an Ebola patient. It appears as of now to only be transmittable through fluid contact with an infected person. However, in that respect, it is very contagious. Unlike HIV, which may or may not infect you even with direct exposure, an Ebola infection is almost certain if there is fluid to fluid contact. A patient coughs up blood and slightest bit gets in your mouth or you even graze yourself with a bloody needle: Start writing your will and getting right with God, because you only have a few days. There is some debate I believe whether or not you can be infected by fluid to skin contact, or if there has to be a break in the skin for it to infect you.

In The Hot Zone, it's mentioned that at the USAMRIID Level 4 lab, two healthy monkeys that had no contact with infected monkeys ended up being infected and dying of Ebola. The main theory for this is that one of the infected monkeys threw food or poop across the lab at one of the healthy monkeys, thus infecting them, however, there is also a theory that recently hemorrhaged blood was hosed off when the room was being cleaned and it turned the infected blood into an aerosol, making it temporarily airborne. Also, the Reston strain that was found in 1989 is airborne, but doesn't infect humans. If it mutated to do so, well...we're in trouble.

Denali
07-28-14, 14:12

Direct contact implies "direct physical contact" with an infected source, such as vomit, feces, urine, saliva, blood, tissues, ect...This is why first responders are at such high risk as they are continually handling these hot sources as they attempt to treat victims. The prevailing medical opinion appears to be that it is not present in enough quantity to be delivered via coughing or sneezing. However, it is a known fact that Ebola Reston strain is an airborne organism, but for some inexplicable reason it is virtually harmless or inert in humans while being a virtual death sentence for monkeys. I would have to conclude that one scenario that they are hoping to avoid is the mutation of this most deadly strain into an airborne organism, something that could conceivably become more likely based upon the size and scope of these outbreaks(the more victims, and the longer the virus is exposed to new one's increasing its opportunity to mutate itself into something more efficient).

Dead Man
07-28-14, 16:17

Yes... there's in betweens.

Ebola can become "airborne" in the form of fluid droplets. A cough will not necessarily infect a room full of people, but if that cough produces a projectile spray of fluid droplets and you walk through it or it's sprayed into your face, you're at risk. As I think someone mentioned above, the virus itself doesn't become airborne... it doesn't just float around on the breeze like flu or norovirus can, and remain infectious. It has to be carried in fluid. But if there's fluid, there's virus. And it is, in fact, extremely contagious with direct contact. If a person is shedding and coughs into their hand and then touches a doorknob - that's dangerous. If a person sweats while shedding and you shake their hand - that's dangerous. As mentioned, if a person coughs in your face, or doesn't cover their cough and you walk through the mist - that's dangerous.

It's a very dangerous disease. It's not as dangerous as some make it out to be, but it's a hell of a lot more dangerous than others make it out to be.

No.6
07-28-14, 16:28

That would indeed complete the transition to third world status for us/US.

Dead Man
07-28-14, 16:37
If nothing else, a national irrational fear of apocalyptic epidemic might very well be the catalyst the administration needs to finally push us over the edge for single-payer.

I know that terrifies the base of this board, but I would consider it a positive-from-a-negative. Call me pink.

Averageman
07-28-14, 18:26
Yes... there's in betweens.

Ebola can become "airborne" in the form of fluid droplets. A cough will not necessarily infect a room full of people, but if that cough produces a projectile spray of fluid droplets and you walk through it or it's sprayed into your face, you're at risk. As I think someone mentioned above, the virus itself doesn't become airborne... it doesn't just float around on the breeze like flu or norovirus can, and remain infectious. It has to be carried in fluid. But if there's fluid, there's virus. And it is, in fact, extremely contagious with direct contact. If a person is shedding and coughs into their hand and then touches a doorknob - that's dangerous. If a person sweats while shedding and you shake their hand - that's dangerous. As mentioned, if a person coughs in your face, or doesn't cover their cough and you walk through the mist - that's dangerous.

It's a very dangerous disease. It's not as dangerous as some make it out to be, but it's a hell of a lot more dangerous than others make it out to be.

Imagining the impact of those infected with TB who then get Ebola. The idea of the transmission from such a combination of diseases would be immediate and dramatic.
I would imagine the combination to be amazing in its impact and devastation.

TAZ
07-28-14, 18:34

Assuming this guy went over there to help deal with this break out; WTF would possess someone to take his family to such a shithole?

Also, what are the chances of a husband and wife having direct contact with bodily fluids??? Hmmmmm.

Either the whole Ebola thing is blown out of proportion or we are being managed by a bunch of baffoons. I can understand some third world shithole customs agent letting the wife and child get out; but why would the US allow them in without a mandatory quarantine?

Sensei
07-28-14, 19:42
If nothing else, a national irrational fear of apocalyptic epidemic might very well be the catalyst the administration needs to finally push us over the edge for single-payer.

I know that terrifies the base of this board, but I would consider it a positive-from-a-negative. Call me pink.

Keep dreaming.

jpmuscle
07-28-14, 20:10
Assuming this guy went over there to help deal with this break out; WTF would possess someone to take his family to such a shithole?

Also, what are the chances of a husband and wife having direct contact with bodily fluids??? Hmmmmm.

Either the whole Ebola thing is blown out of proportion or we are being managed by a bunch of baffoons. I can understand some third world shithole customs agent letting the wife and child get out; but why would the US allow them in without a mandatory quarantine?
Total speculation but the strong humanitarian types I know rarely is the central family not cut from the same cloth so to speak sooooo

williejc
07-29-14, 21:55
The 1918/19 Spanish flu epidemic spread around the world including remote areas and killed more people than bubonic plague. Because of the world war, countries lied about civilian(and military)deaths so as not to frighten and demoralize their populations, and for this reason, deaths were under reported. Bureaucrats made unwise decisions then, and will likely make them in the event of the next pandemic. In 1918 air travel between countries was non existent. Once the E bug gets out of the bottle, we're in trouble. Consider the example of child immigrants. If some were infected with E, and if we feared many other infected immigrants were in the pipeline, what would we have? An even larger humanitarian crisis. Leaders needing to make hard decisions would not and could not, even if they were not incompetent.

The 1918 flu had the Spanish label because Spain as a neutral country did not lie about civilian deaths, which were of course very high. Accurate figures shocked the world. A friend of mine born in 1884 was a rural undertaker in 1918/19. He buried these victims at midnight to avoid spreading the disease. There were no funerals so as to avoid public gatherings. Also, in this area, quarantine was enforced by shotgun guards placed to limit travel.

cinco
07-30-14, 12:54
Two from Drudge.

"Ebola Man Nearly Reached US"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/30/minnesota-widow-on-her-husband-he-could-have-brought-ebola-here.html

‘He Could Have Brought Ebola Here’: Minnesota Widow on Her Husband

Patrick Sawyer was supposed to be at his kids’ birthday party in a few weeks—but he died of the virus before he could board a flight to Minneapolis. His wife on the epidemic’s toll.
Nigeria felt a chill from the hot zone when a 40-year-old man collapsed and died from the dread Ebola virus after flying there from Liberia.

That hot zone chill now reaches America, with word that the same man was scheduled to fly to Minneapolis in time for an August 16 party celebrating the birthdays of two of his three young daughters.

Patrick Sawyer was a naturalized U.S. citizen who worked for the Finance Ministry of his native Liberia and returned home to his wife and children in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, whenever he could. He almost certainly would have boarded that flight to Minneapolis had he remained at least outwardly healthy enough not to exhibit symptoms.

One nightmare scenario would have been for him to go ahead with the birthday party for his daughters even though he was feeling a little flu-ish and maybe dish out cake and ice cream to his little girls before anybody imagined he might be carrying the deadly virus from distant West Africa.

"Fear In Charlotte"

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/part-cmc-er-roped-officials-say-patient-being-test/ngq2K/

DHHS: Patient tested at CMC did not exhibit Ebola symptoms

cinco
07-30-14, 13:01
More from Drudge today.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/07/30/Canadian-doctor-quarantined-after-exposure-to-Ebola

EBOLA: DOCTOR QUARANTINED IN CANADA

A Canadian doctor has put himself in quarantine as a precaution after spending weeks in West Africa treating patients with the deadly Ebola virus alongside an American doctor who is now infected, local media said Tuesday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/07/30/ebola-fears-global-outbreak/13350607/

Global authorities on alert over Ebola outbreak

Health officials in the United Kingdom and Hong Kong, fearing that the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa could go global, are quarantining airline passengers from the region who have shown symptoms of the disease.

In the United Kingdom, the Department of Health confirmed Wednesday that a man who flew into Birmingham airport recently from Nigeria via Paris was clear of the virus despite saying he felt feverish.

In Hong Kong, China' state-run media group CCTV News reported that a female patient with suspected Ebola symptoms had been isolated for treatment in the city. However, the South China Morning Post reported that the woman who had been on vacation in Kenya subsequently tested negative for the disease.

No.6
07-30-14, 14:45

I got to thinking (dangerous I know); when is the fearless leader going to sign an executive order allowing the infected from Africa to seek refuge here so they can receive free health care while they're dying? As I said above, that action would insure the third world transition.

alienb1212
07-30-14, 17:42
Wondering how long it takes some crazy jihadist(s) to go intentionally infect themselves and blow themselves up in the middle of a high-population center.

cinco
07-30-14, 18:02
Wondering how long it takes some crazy jihadist(s) to go intentionally infect themselves and blow themselves up in the middle of a high-population center.

Yeah. That thought crossed my mind to some degree.

OK. Say you are nutty enough to be jihadi suicide bomber type. How much effort does it take, and consider all the Muslim jihad being waged in North/Central Africa at this time, to convince someone to take on this task?

Get yourself and your body up and around an infected person. Wait the prerequisite days to reach the "optimal hot spot". "Here's your ticket to an 'all you can see tour' of New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, LA and Seattle airports" - one on top of the other. Wipe your infected self all over everything you can along the way. Damn.

cinco
07-31-14, 09:33
^ Great Obama's been reading our thread. I can see no reason to question his judgement - again. :rolleyes:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/30/ebola-outbreak-wont-stop-obamas-plans-for-summit-of-african-leaders/#ixzz393Yp2JWd

Ebola Outbreak Won’t Stop Obama’s Plans For Summit Of African Leaders

President Obama still plans to convene a three-day summit in Washington for leaders of African countries even though the continent is experiencing an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus, a White House spokesman said Wednesday.

“We have no plans to change any elements of the U.S.-Africa summit as we believe all air travel continues to be safe here,” principal deputy press secretary Eric Schultz told reporters aboard Air Force One on Wednesday.

TAZ
07-31-14, 10:18
Love how dumbass said air travel is still safe here. Of course its safe here you idiot. It's the whole intercontinental fight that bothers those with some common sense. I say if he wants to have an Africa summit he needs to have it in Africa. He can then be quarantined for 30 days before being allowed back into the public.

On a different note, last night on Fox they were talking of rumors that the 2 infected Americans might be brought back here for better treatment. How nice.

cwgibson
07-31-14, 23:01
Love how dumbass said air travel is still safe here. Of course its safe here you idiot. It's the whole intercontinental fight that bothers those with some common sense. I say if he wants to have an Africa summit he needs to have it in Africa. He can then be quarantined for 30 days before being allowed back into the public.

On a different note, last night on Fox they were talking of rumors that the 2 infected Americans might be brought back here for better treatment. How nice.

Yep it's true they are bringing them to Emory hospital, and on that note I think a vacation to see my folks in Tennessee is sounding like a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cwgibson
07-31-14, 23:07
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/emory-healthcare-to-treat-ebola-patient/ngrtm/?__federated=1

skydivr
07-31-14, 23:07
Yep, I'm not sure deliberately bringing them in-country is such a good idea....

jpmuscle
07-31-14, 23:08
Yep it's true they are bringing them to Emory hospital, and on that note I think a vacation to see my folks in Tennessee is sounding like a good idea.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/01/2evejahy.jpg

Mauser KAR98K
07-31-14, 23:12
WTF. Leave them there. How dumb do you have to be to bring the worlds worst virus into America? Considering the CDC's screw up with anthrax not too long ago, leave it there.

cwgibson
07-31-14, 23:13
WTF. Leave them there. How dumb do you have to be to bring the worlds worst virus into America? Considering the CDC's screw up with anthrax not too long ago, leave it there.

I was thinking the same thing.

ABNAK
08-01-14, 01:38
Problem with bringing them here (despite the obvious) is that according to what I've seen the two Americans were using proper precautions and still got Ebola anyway. CNN said the reason for this was "unknown".

It could be something as simple as an infected latex glove flinging back and touching your skin as you pull it off. I work in the healthcare field and I gotta tell ya it creeps me out more than just a little bit.

Moose-Knuckle
08-01-14, 03:24
I'm sure Barry and Michelle will have them over for their next fundraiser.

Sensei
08-01-14, 07:37
I'm not too worried about these 2 coming to Emory. The Emory University Medical Center essentially shares a campus with the CDC; they are literally next door.

If we see cases in the US, it will be due to someone flying from West Africa during the incubation period.

skijunkie55
08-01-14, 08:12
Any Walking Dead fans here? Outbreak of Ebola in Atlanta???

http://absolute-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ebola-hand1.jpg
pic related. It's Ebola

TAZ
08-01-14, 11:38
I'm not too worried about these 2 coming to Emory. The Emory University Medical Center essentially shares a campus with the CDC; they are literally next door.

If we see cases in the US, it will be due to someone flying from West Africa during the incubation period.

While I tend to agree with the most likely reason that Ebola shows up is some African traveler being allowed out of the hot zone; I still see absolutely no reason to move the 2 infected persons out of the hot zone. Why risk it?

Take a flying hospital with the CDC staff and park that baby in the hot zone. Treat the patients with whatever experimental crap you want. If it works fine. If it don't fly that baby into the nearest active volcano and dispose of the toxic waste.

Big A
08-01-14, 12:34

A more effective way to spread it would be to get a job at McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, etc...

Denali
08-01-14, 12:45
While I tend to agree with the most likely reason that Ebola shows up is some African traveler being allowed out of the hot zone; I still see absolutely no reason to move the 2 infected persons out of the hot zone. Why risk it?

Take a flying hospital with the CDC staff and park that baby in the hot zone. Treat the patients with whatever experimental crap you want. If it works fine. If it don't fly that baby into the nearest active volcano and dispose of the toxic waste.

Several observations, first while I understand that some of you are justifiably nervous, or even frightened of the virus being transported to CONUS, you should be made aware that it is already here, in multiple laboratories, and has been pretty much ever since it was first identified back in the very first African outbreaks, as are Marburg(88%), Hantavirus(60%),Plague(60%), and virtually every other of the most deadly, infectious agents, loose upon the earth! Secondly, the ebola virus, well its a virus, and viruses mutate almost continually, the longer an outbreak occurs, the more human hosts it infects, the greater the likelihood for mutation into some new more efficient vector for propagating itself in the environment! Thats what I am afraid of, and thats exactly why I want the best people in their respective fields looking at it, and treating it, something that is not very likely to occur in the field conditions of west Africa!

So, in retrospect, the longer the virus remains active in human hosts in west Africa the greater the likelihood for mutation, two individual cases brought back at this stage of the epidemic to the United States for care and study is a very good thing to my mind, as it both offers the infected folks the best possible options for treatment, while bringing them and the disease up close to the people most capable of dealing with it, and learning from it, because sooner or later its going to be here in the states regardless, loose of any laboratory safety protocols, working its special magic....

cwgibson
08-01-14, 20:30
While I am not concerned that much let's say for the sake of argument that these patients were housed in New Orleans during an event like Katrina. Conditions like those could possibly perpetuate the spread of something like that. Just when you think you have it figured out Murphy strikes.

Outlander Systems
08-01-14, 21:16
Reeeelaaaaaaax...the government would NEVER **** anything up....

http://online.wsj.com/articles/cdc-reports-flu-lab-accident-1405097111

Denali
08-01-14, 22:21

Speaking of flying during or after the incubation period, here's a very curious account direct from the Liberian press concerning Mr. Sawyer, keep in mind that this is how its being reported in Monrovia,

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/news/2506-sawyer-s-final-hours-in-lagos-indiscipline-rage-strange

Since the first report surfaced in March, there have been more than 1,201 cases reported and unfortunately 672 deaths in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the CDC says. “This is the largest Ebola outbreak in history and the first in West Africa. It’s a rapidly changing situation and we expect there will be more cases in these countries in the coming weeks and months. The response to this outbreak will be more of a marathon than a sprint.”

Back in Lagos, authorities at the First Consultants Hospital in Obalende decided that despite Sawyer’s denial, they would test him for Ebola, due to the fact that he had just arrived from Liberia, where there has been an outbreak of the disease with more than 100 deaths.

The hospital issued a statement this week stating that Sawyer was quarantined immediately after he was discovered to have been infected with the deadly virus. In addition, a barrier nursing was implemented around Sawyer and the Lagos State Ministry of Health was immediately notified. Hospital authorities also requested the Federal Ministry of Health for additional laboratory test based on its suspicion of Ebola.

FrontPageAfrica has now learned that upon being told he had Ebola, Mr. Sawyer went into a rage, denying and objecting to the opinion of the medical experts. “He was so adamant and difficult that he took the tubes from his body and took off his pants and urinated on the health workers, forcing them to flee.

The hospital would later report that it resisted immense pressure to let out Sawyer from its hospital against the insistence from some higher-ups and conference organizers that he had a key role to play at the ECOWAS convention in Calabar, the Cross River State capital. In fact, FrontPageAfrica has been informed that officials in Monrovia were in negotiations with ECOWAS to have Sawyer flown back to Liberia.

A text message in possession of FrontPageAfrica from the ECOWAS Ambassador in Liberia, responding to a senior GoL official reads: Your Excellency, the disease control department of the Federal Ministry of Health just contacted me through the hospital now, insisting that Mr. Sawyer be evacuated for now. Pls advise urgently.”

LUTH Lab positive on Ebola

First Consultants said that it then went further to reach senior officials in the Office of the Secretary of Health of the USA who assisted it with contacts at the Centre for Disease Control and W.H.O Regional Laboratory Centre in Senegal. According to the hospital, the initial results from LUTH laboratory showed a signal of possible Ebola virus, but required confirmation.

The First Consultants statement noted that it was able to obtain confirmation of Ebola virus disease, (Zaire strain) after working with the state, federal and international agencies. Sawyer was pronounced dead at 6:50 AM Nigeria time, on July 25 and all agencies were properly notified.

Once the case was officially confirmed, the hospital was temporarily shut down and in-house patients immediately evacuated. Sawyer’s body was subsequently cremated under W.H.O guidelines and witnessed by all appropriate agencies, according to the hospital statement. “In keeping with W.H.O guidelines, the hospital is shut down briefly as full decontamination exercise is currently in progress. The re-opening of the hospital will also be in accordance with its guidelines”, the hospital said.

In the aftermath of Sawyer’s death, both federal and state authorities in Lagos have instituted measures to curb the spread of the disease and quarantining all those who came in contact with Sawyer.

In total, Sawyer reportedly came in direct contact with 59 persons, 44 of whom were at the hospital he was taken to when he fell ill, according to the Lagos State government. The Lagos state government clarified in a statement Monday that Ms. Obi-Nnadozie, Nigeria’s Ambassador to Liberia was not among the 15 people at the airport who had had direct contact with Mr. Sawyer before his death as was initially believed.

And then this,

In the aftermath of Sawyer’s death, diplomatic, ECOWAS and medical authorities here are baffled over Sawyer’s deception, especially armed with new information that his sister, Princess had died of the deadly virus and his denial. Finance Ministry sources in Monrovia are in quiet murmur over what they feel was a letdown by Sawyer for not being forthcoming with his peers he worked with.

The ministry has since been temporarily shut down and those who came in contact with Sawyer are on a 21-day forced incubation monitoring process. "All senior officials coming in direct or indirect contact with Mr. Sawyer has been placed on the prescribed 21 days of observatory surveillance," the ministry said in a statement this week.

FrontPageAfrica has now learnt that Sawyer exhibited similar indiscipline behavior during his sister’s stay at the Catholic Hospital in Monrovia where she was taken because he noticed she was bleeding profusely and was later found to be a victim of Ebola.

‘Indiscipline’ Sawyer, EJS Says

Sawyer was seen with blood on his clothing after his sister’s death and had earlier demanded that she be placed in a private room. President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf cited indiscipline and disrespect as a key reason why Sawyer contracted the Ebola virus. She said his failure to heed medical advice put the lives of other residents across the nation’s border at risk.

This has been reported in the US as Sawyer having denied having had contact with his sister as she was dying of ebola. It would appear that Mr. Sawyer was attempting to both flee Liberia, and deny adamantly that he had had any exposure to the Ebola virus when in fact he had. This is also in line with why the medical missionaries are pulling the plug so to speak on their operation in Monrovia, little cooperation, and a great deal of dishonesty and deception from the people who are so terrified of the bug that they simply prefer to deny it right to their graves...

jpmuscle
08-01-14, 23:46
Several observations, first while I understand that some of you are justifiably nervous, or even frightened of the virus being transported to CONUS, you should be made aware that it is already here, in multiple laboratories, and has been pretty much ever since it was first identified back in the very first African outbreaks, as are Marburg(88%), Hantavirus(60%),Plague(60%), and virtually every other of the most deadly, infectious agents, loose upon the earth! Secondly, the ebola virus, well its a virus, and viruses mutate almost continually, the longer an outbreak occurs, the more human hosts it infects, the greater the likelihood for mutation into some new more efficient vector for propagating itself in the environment! Thats what I am afraid of, and thats exactly why I want the best people in their respective fields looking at it, and treating it, something that is not very likely to occur in the field conditions of west Africa!

So, in retrospect, the longer the virus remains active in human hosts in west Africa the greater the likelihood for mutation, two individual cases brought back at this stage of the epidemic to the United States for care and study is a very good thing to my mind, as it both offers the infected folks the best possible options for treatment, while bringing them and the disease up close to the people most capable of dealing with it, and learning from it, because sooner or later its going to be here in the states regardless, loose of any laboratory safety protocols, working its special magic....

I'd argue that noone espousing thus far is necessarily being fearful, just pointing out the obvious stupidity of the decision. I'm inclined to agree. Their is a marked difference between maintaining a viable virus in a heavily restricted and controlled environment where the variables can be mitigated. But with this all it takes is one fvck up and we'll all be looking back at this and going yup, that was dumb.

Leave it over there and if our best and brightest want to take a crack at then hop on plane and give it your all. Open source the work and put it all on the net for peer review if its not already.

Dead Man
08-01-14, 23:56
Definitely stupid to bring infected people into the country. The logistics will be a nightmare, and I really don't see how they can possibly guarantee infection won't spread to the numerous people and vehicles that are necessarily involved. In light of the number of health officials who have contracted the virus; educated people surely taking massive precautions; this disease is sneaky, and will find a way.

I'm not an alarmist, and I can't stand alarmism. I like to think I'm a realist, however, and realistically - infected people need to stay put.

Belmont31R
08-02-14, 00:41
The dynamic around these people going over there, and getting infected seems like it's ripe for one of them to go in denial and try to come back here.

I'm not particularly happy about all the research into super bugs. All it takes is one accident and millions could die. Maybe in this day and age with mass transit and aircraft over a billion could die if one of these viruses gets out into the wild. The plague and Spanish flu killed tens of millions in an age of FAR less advanced and fast international travel. Really, one of these things could make any financial disaster or war look like child's play with the body count.

I just hope these people that meddle in these types of diseases don't **** us all over because they have some type of odd curiosity.

SteyrAUG
08-02-14, 01:41
Here is the deal. It is transmitted only through direct contact with infective secretions: blood, saliva, tears, mucous membranes, semen, etc. Unlike HIV which generally requires broken skin/membrane + contact with blood, semen, or vaginal secretions, Ebola is present in saliva early during the course of the disease (food borne illness), tears, and sweat. It is also persistent in semen for weeks after the illness which means that it is the gift that keeps on giving. Fortunately, it is not droplet or aerosol transmitted like influenza or SARS which is what has kept millions from dying.

And for the past TWO NIGHTS the experts on NBC nightly news have been all but denying those facts. It is stunning to me how much they are downplaying risk of transmission. They are making it sound like it's less transmittable than HIV.

SteyrAUG
08-02-14, 01:43

Along with everyone else, I was just going to mention that.

Belmont31R
08-02-14, 01:48
Along with everyone else, I was just going to mention that.

Worlds worst virus I'm not sure about. The death rate alone inhibits the spread. If you look at STD's or HPV or the Flu they infect way more people than Ebola. Flu kills way more than Ebola is likely ever to.

SteyrAUG
08-02-14, 01:52
Worlds worst virus I'm not sure about. The death rate alone inhibits the spread. If you look at STD's or HPV or the Flu they infect way more people than Ebola. Flu kills way more than Ebola is likely ever to.

I think most of us were talking about the "anthrax" mishandling instance with the CDC more than we were debating if ebola kills more numbers than any other virus. I'd say malaria is probably way up there on the list as well.

ABNAK
08-02-14, 01:53

Except for the fact that Ebola can have up to a 3 week incubation period, far longer than the flu. That can allow for a LOT of "circulating" so to speak after exposure.

Keep in mind Ebola has always been a "rural" disease, isolated in little jungle villages. It now seems to be making the break into mainstream population areas not isolated by the jungle.

Belmont31R
08-02-14, 01:56
I think most of us were talking about the "anthrax" mishandling instance with the CDC more than we were debating if ebola kills more numbers than any other virus. I'd say malaria is probably way up there on the list as well.

I was speaking in context of the quote you posted. But yeah malaria is on top.

Belmont31R
08-02-14, 02:03
Except for the fact that Ebola can have up to a 3 week incubation period, far longer than the flu. That can allow for a LOT of "circulating" so to speak after exposure.

Keep in mind Ebola has always been a "rural" disease, isolated in little jungle villages. It now seems to be making the break into mainstream population areas not isolated by the jungle.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but from what I understand there has been a surge in bushmeat consumption in Africa in the last 5-10 years. Maybe surging in the last few years. This brings the rural diseases into the cities.

http://m.vice.com/vice-news/liberias-new-ebola-outbreak

SteyrAUG
08-02-14, 02:46
I was speaking in context of the quote you posted. But yeah malaria is on top.

I understood, I think we are both simply clarifying.

Averageman
08-02-14, 09:44
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/2/5960449/why-are-many-ebola-outbreak-health-workers-doctors-dying-virus

No one knows at this point. There was some speculation on the exact method of transmission at the CDC. But a WHO spokesperson told Vox "it's a bit of a mystery" right now. "There have obviously been lapses somewhere in how the doctors and nurses have protected themselves and we don't know if it's clinics that they're working in or elsewhere."

I dont have a clue how these Healthcare Workers are comming down with Ebola. It would seem like protocal would be 100% against this possibility, but I would like to know how they were infected before we bring them back here.

Outlander Systems
08-02-14, 10:19
I dont have a clue how these Healthcare Workers are comming down with Ebola. It would seem like protocal would be 100% against this possibility, but I would like to know how they were infected before we bring them back here.

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html

"Here we show ZEBOV transmission from pigs to cynomolgus macaques without direct contact."

Averageman
08-02-14, 10:22
http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html

"Here we show ZEBOV transmission from pigs to cynomolgus macaques without direct contact."

So why bring this back here?

Outlander Systems
08-02-14, 10:32
So why bring this back here?

Excellent question.

I'd like to know who, specifically, green lighted this little operation. If there is ONE death, aside from the two being transported, resulting from this, said individual should be charged with second-degree murder.

On a side note, here's a shopping list for you fellas:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Full-Facepiece-Respirator-Large/dp/B000RMGW62/ref=pd_sbs_indust_29?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VY5RBVD8TGBW287EBT9

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/tychem-br-level-b-fully-encapsulating-suit-wpl860?squealDealCode=PPCHDEP25&code=PPCHDEP25&orderId=2151401&catalogId=17208&autoAppliedPromo=true&errorViewName=CalculationCodeErrorView&cm_mmc=R-_-PLA-_-Go-_-WPL860&URL=%2Fpig%2FUS%2Ftychem-br-level-b-fully-encapsulating-suit-wpl860&langId=-1&page=%2Fpig%2FUS%2Ftychem-br-level-b-fully-encapsulating-suit-wpl860&view=%2Fpig%2FUS%2Ftychem-br-level-b-fully-encapsulating-suit-wpl860&set=PPCHD25GC250O&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJPpZbJeAoDNS2XcVTQju06pgwaYYKKSgUqrRvmgZHnsaAiDJ8P8HAQ&storeId=10651&ddkey=http:US/ap/PPCHDEP25/PPCHD25GC250O

http://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-174L-Supported-Gauntlet/dp/B0025ZIT8I/ref=pd_sim_indust_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F720ZXF0GTWN2H6KPRZ

http://www.crime-scene.com/store/A-4010.shtml

http://www.zoro.com/g/00097268/k-G3934646?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJBNdIeKkqj7gq5bN1wImrXOqBGVxQoWlOeoBPa3j84caAuyL8P8HAQ

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/4608/Safetec-Sanizide-Plus-1-Gallon-Bottle

Irish
08-02-14, 10:37
https://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/going-viral.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
08-02-14, 11:44
Speaking of flying during or after the incubation period, here's a very curious account direct from the Liberian press concerning Mr. Sawyer, keep in mind that this is how its being reported in Monrovia,

And then this,

This has been reported in the US as Sawyer having denied having had contact with his sister as she was dying of ebola. It would appear that Mr. Sawyer was attempting to both flee Liberia, and deny adamantly that he had had any exposure to the Ebola virus when in fact he had. This is also in line with why the medical missionaries are pulling the plug so to speak on their operation in Monrovia, little cooperation, and a great deal of dishonesty and deception from the people who are so terrified of the bug that they simply prefer to deny it right to their graves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2-YxWkRxk

Eurodriver
08-02-14, 14:01
Did any of you see video of the guy being transported?

They Shut down the highways, full police escort, full protective gear for everyone involved.

I don't doubt that the CDC is taking every precaution necessary to prevent the spread of this, everyone knows the CDC has had infectious agents on US soil before, but my concern lies with how these healthcare workers got infected in the first place especially if "its so hard to transmit".

Were they kissing infected patients or something?

Moose-Knuckle
08-02-14, 14:23

They Shut down the highways, full police escort, full protective gear for everyone involved.

I don't doubt that the CDC is taking every precaution necessary to prevent the spread of this, everyone knows the CDC has had infectious agents on US soil before, but my concern lies with how these healthcare workers got infected in the first place especially if "its so hard to transmit".

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/02/dr-kent-brantly-named-first-ebola-patient-on-plane-back-to-us/

WTF, they can afford a Gulfstream round trip to Africa but they can't helo him from Dobbins AFB to Emory; "drove through metro Atlanta" . . .

Sorry but every cheesy horror movie I have ever watched comes bearing in mind watching this play out. "We have it under control" . . . famous last words.

Sam
08-02-14, 14:39
I appreciate your concern for my safety and well being. :)

The plane carrying the infected doctor landed at Dobbins AFB, 5 miles from my office. And Emery hospital is 30 minutes from my house.

T2C
08-02-14, 14:49
Definitely stupid to bring infected people into the country. The logistics will be a nightmare, and I really don't see how they can possibly guarantee infection won't spread to the numerous people and vehicles that are necessarily involved. In light of the number of health officials who have contracted the virus; educated people surely taking massive precautions; this disease is sneaky, and will find a way.

I'm not an alarmist, and I can't stand alarmism. I like to think I'm a realist, however, and realistically - infected people need to stay put.

I agree. Deploy the resources to treat people in place and do not bring the virus back to CONUS.

Denali
08-02-14, 15:04

I didn't see any Hwy's shut down, in fact I saw the ambulance travel the entire route with a tail vehicle that at several points along the way lost them, and had to catch back up with it! At one point in the transport, the ambulance was proceeding along a Blvd toward the Emory University hospital and it was stopping at lights, and waiting on turn signals ect...In fact, at one particularly hilarious point they(the ambulance)were observed as they passed by a bicyclist peddling his way along the same blvd!

Eurodriver
08-02-14, 15:08
I appreciate your concern for my safety and well being. :)

The plane carrying the infected doctor landed at Dobbins AFB, 5 miles from my office. And Emery hospital is 30 minutes from my house.

How does that make you feel?

Sam
08-02-14, 15:11
Kinda hungry right now. Wouldn't mind a big fat burger.

cinco
08-02-14, 15:33
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/02/dr-kent-brantly-named-first-ebola-patient-on-plane-back-to-us/

WTF, they can afford a Gulfstream round trip to Africa but they can't helo him from Dobbins AFB to Emory; "drove through metro Atlanta" . . .

Sorry but every cheesy horror movie I have ever watched comes bearing in mind watching this play out. "We have it under control" . . . famous last words.

We all know how well this ended the last time the CDC was dealing with a mass zombie like outbreak... But, I'd take Moose's Fuel Air Bomb option too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caVRyZRA5k8

Sensei
08-02-14, 15:41
And for the past TWO NIGHTS the experts on NBC nightly news have been all but denying those facts. It is stunning to me how much they are downplaying risk of transmission. They are making it sound like it's less transmittable than HIV.

While is us present in saliva and sweat, we do not know if it is in sufficient concentration to be reliably transmittable. We do know that the virus is shed in much higher quantities in blood, semen, stool, etc. Thus, there is a lot of debate as to how important oral-oral transmissions routes are to the spread of disease.

Fortunately, those infected do not shed virus during the incubation period and are therefor not contagious.

Moose-Knuckle
08-02-14, 17:00
Check out these documentaries on Liberia and you start to see how a bug thrives in a shit hole like that. (NSFW or children)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XasTcDsDfMg

Moose-Knuckle
08-02-14, 17:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo&list=PL2D3293A17F068F02

Eurodriver
08-02-14, 18:16
While is us present in saliva and sweat, we do not know if it is in sufficient concentration to be reliably transmittable. We do know that the virus is shed in much higher quantities in blood, semen, stool, etc. Thus, there is a lot of debate as to how important oral-oral transmissions routes are to the spread of disease.

Fortunately, those infected do not shed virus during the incubation period and are therefor not contagious.

Both statements elicit a huge then how the **** are these doctors getting sick? response.

Averageman
08-02-14, 19:15
Both statements elicit a huge then how the **** are these doctors getting sick? response.

Part of that was covered in an earlier post.
They have no clue as to how they were infected as of yet.
I would definatly felt a bit better if there was a known reason of why and how before they brought these folks back.

ABNAK
08-02-14, 21:58

There's the saliva thing relatively early on, but you'd have to be kissing (a la Francois) or otherwise exposing someone to saliva.

The up-to-3 week incubation period DOES allow for geographical dissemination of the disease given our modern modes of transportation.

Dead Man
08-03-14, 21:31
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-outbreak-kent-brantly-u-s-aid-worker-improving-in-atlanta-hospital-1.2726452

Interesting that they list 1 for Nigeria, but none of the US.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2724029.1406826696!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_620/ebola-outbreak-map-31-july-2014.jpg

jpmuscle
08-03-14, 21:38
Nice.......

http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Febola-terror-gatwick-passenger-collapses-3977051

Whiskey_Bravo
08-03-14, 21:45
Nice.......

http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Febola-terror-gatwick-passenger-collapses-3977051

wow, that is what people are afraid of.

Airport staff tonight told of their fears of an Ebola outbreak after a passenger from Sierra Leone collapsed and died as she got off a plane at Gatwick.

Workers said they were terrified the virus could spread globally through the busy international hub from the West African country which is in the grip of the deadly epidemic.

The woman, said to be 72, became ill on the gangway after she left a Gambia Bird jet with 128 passengers on board. She died in hospital.

Ebola has killed 256 people in Sierra Leone. A total of 826 have died in West Africa since the outbreak began in February. Tests are now being carried out to see if the woman had disease.

The plane was quarantined as *officials desperately tried to trace everyone who had been in contact with the woman.

Sensei
08-03-14, 21:47

It's not that hard. Think of all of the safety violations that you see at a range. All it takes is one person to be careless in disposing contaminated materials such as bedpans with diarrhea, medical instruments, etc. These doctors are working in 3rd world conditions. For example, they may wear the proper protective equipment while seeing patients, but their infected cook doesn't wash his hands after taking a watery deuce...

Sensei
08-03-14, 21:51
Nice.......

My suspicion is that it will not be Ebola. Witness say that she had no symptoms during the flight which would be odd for this illness. Plus, she was old and it is fairly common for old people to suddenly die…

Now, I reserve the right to change my opinion if we learn that she died in a heap of bloody vomit or stool.

Denali
08-03-14, 22:06
My suspicion is that it will not be Ebola. Witness say that she had no symptoms during the flight which would be odd for this illness. Plus, she was old and it is fairly common for old people to suddenly die…

Now, I reserve the right to change my opinion if we learn that she died in a heap of bloody vomit or stool.

Boy I'd sure be nervous if I'd been responding to that one, diaphoretic & vomiting upon exit of an aircraft that had originally departed from Freetown Sierra Leone, the virtual epicenter of the current outbreak, yes, very very nervous....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28634903

Just like that, a negative response to the test....

The Department for Health said the test on the elderly woman, who landed at Gatwick Airport, came back negative on Sunday afternoon.

Some 728 people have died of Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone this year, in the worst-ever outbreak of the disease.

Public Health England says the risk to the UK remains very low.

The Ebola virus spreads through human contact with a sufferer's bodily fluids.

Initial flu-like symptoms can lead to external haemorrhaging from areas like eyes and gums, and internal bleeding which can lead to organ failure. The current mortality rate is about 55%.

Denali
08-04-14, 11:31
This is very bad news

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/04/ebola-africa-nigeria-liberia/13568331/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomworld-topstories

Nigerian authorities on Monday confirmed a second case of Ebola in Africa's most populous country, an alarming setback as officials across the region battle to stop the spread of a disease that has killed more than 700 people.

Also Monday, health authorities in Liberia ordered that all those who die from Ebola be cremated after communities opposed having the bodies buried nearby. Over the weekend, health authorities in the West African country encountered resistance while trying to bury 22 bodies in Johnsonville, outside the capital Monrovia. Military police helped restore order.

In Nigeria, Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said test samples are pending for three other people who had shown symptoms of Ebola, and that authorities are trying to trace and quarantine others. The confirmed second case in Nigeria is a doctor who had helped treat Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American man who died July 25 days after arriving in Nigeria from Liberia.

"Three others who participated in that treatment who are currently symptomatic have had their samples taken and hopefully by the end of today we should have the results of their own test," Chukwu said.

The emergence of a second case raises serious concerns about the infection control practices in Nigeria, and also raise the specter that more cases could emerge. It can take up to 21 days after exposure to the virus for symptoms to appear. They include fever, sore throat, muscle pains and headaches. Often nausea, vomiting and diarrhea follow, along with severe internal and external bleeding in advanced stages of the disease.

kwelz
08-04-14, 12:04
My general thoughts on Ebola...

Denali
08-04-14, 12:14
This is fascinating, this young doctor had obviously entered into the 2nd stage pf the ebola infection and was dying when they administered the experimental serum nine days after he had become fully symptomatic with the virus. Within one hour of having been administered the serum he had entered remission!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/index.html

The ZMapp vials reached the hospital in Liberia where Brantly and Writebol were being treated Thursday morning. Doctors were instructed to allow the vials to thaw naturally without any additional heat. It was expected that it would be eight to 10 hours before the medicine could be given, according to a source familiar with the process.
Brantly asked that Writebol be given the first dose because he was younger and he thought he had a better chance of fighting it, and she agreed. However, as the first vial was still thawing, Brantly's condition took a sudden turn for the worse.
Second Ebola patient heading to U.S. Doctors struggle to treat Ebola patients Ebola transport team speaks to CNN First American Ebola patient comes home
Brantly began to deteriorate and developed labored breathing. He told his doctors he thought he was dying, according to a source with firsthand knowledge of the situation.
Knowing his dose was still frozen, Brantly asked if he could have Writebol's now-thawed medication. It was brought to his room and administered through an IV. Within an hour of receiving the medication, Brantly's condition dramatically improved. He began breathing easier; the rash over his trunk faded away. One of his doctors described the events as "miraculous."

30 cal slut
08-04-14, 15:27
F***!

Title says it all.

http://7online.com/health/mount-sinai-patient-tested-for-ebola-virus/239663/

skijunkie55
08-04-14, 15:39
http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/images/jurisdictions-925px.jpg
And just in case you were wondering where the quarantine zones are in the US in case this happens to hit the fan...
http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/quarantinestationcontactlistfull.html

Heavy Metal
08-04-14, 15:41
I met him in the jungles of Africa,
Where you eat strange bugs and protect yourself against malaria.
M-A-L-A Malaria

He walked up to me and he looked real bad,
I asked what was wrong and then he looked real sad and said, "Ebola".
E-B-O-L-A Ebola. La la la la Ebola

Well I'm not the world most smartest guy,
But if I get too close then I just might die
From ebola, la la la la Ebola

Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
How you get a monkey disease if you're a man
Oh no Ebola, la la la la Ebola, la la la la Ebola

Well, we drank whiskey and talked all night
Under glowing camp fire light.
He lifted his finger and pointed at me,
And said, "Come here, won't you examine me?"

Well, I'm not really the best doctor man,
But I looked at his rash
And I said "Oh man, you got Ebola."
La la la la Ebola, la la la la Ebola

Ebola, la la la la Ebola
La la la la Ebola

I pushed him away. I walked to my tent.
To my first aid kit. It wont do any good.
I looked at him, and he at me.

I really wish he would stay away,
I dont really want to die today from Ebola.
La la la la Ebola

SARS can be cured and so can the flu,
But when you get this sick, there's not much to do,
To cure Ebola. La la la la Ebola

Well I left home just a month before,
And I never been to the Congo before,
The native smiled and poked me with a stick,
And I thought "Oh no, he's going to make me sick."

Well Im not the world's most healthiest guy,
But I know what I got and I'm not going to die,
From Ebola.
La la la la Ebola
La la la la Ebola

Ebola
La la la la Ebola
La la la la Ebola

WickedWillis
08-04-14, 15:46
Yeah this seems to be getting worse by the day.

Kain
08-04-14, 15:49
Yeah this seems to be getting worse by the day.

Yep.

Wonder how sales of NBC gear is doing at my local Army Navy store?

skijunkie55
08-04-14, 15:51
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f5/f58611c34427194d8ab7f06b397ee5cc140cb31bcec836c5b92bcf15cc10ffea.jpg

And now a new case in NYC... Except the guy walked himself into the emergency room after exhibiting the symptoms of said virus...

Heavy Metal
08-04-14, 15:57
M-A-L-A Malaria

He walked up to me and he looked real bad,
I asked what was wrong and then he looked real sad and said, "Ebola".
E-B-O-L-A Ebola. La la la la Ebola

Well I'm not the world most smartest guy,
But if I get too close then I just might die
From ebola, la la la la Ebola

Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
How you get a monkey disease if you're a man
Oh no Ebola, la la la la Ebola, la la la la Ebola

Well, we drank whiskey and talked all night
Under glowing camp fire light.
He lifted his finger and pointed at me,
And said, "Come here, won't you examine me?"

Well, I'm not really the best doctor man,
But I looked at his rash
And I said "Oh man, you got Ebola."
La la la la Ebola, la la la la Ebola

Ebola, la la la la Ebola
La la la la Ebola

I pushed him away. I walked to my tent.
To my first aid kit. It wont do any good.
I looked at him, and he at me.

I really wish he would stay away,
I dont really want to die today from Ebola.
La la la la Ebola

SARS can be cured and so can the flu,
But when you get this sick, there's not much to do,
To cure Ebola. La la la la Ebola

Well I left home just a month before,
And I never been to the Congo before,
The native smiled and poked me with a stick,
And I thought "Oh no, he's going to make me sick."

Well Im not the world's most healthiest guy,
But I know what I got and I'm not going to die,
From Ebola.
La la la la Ebola
La la la la Ebola

Ebola
La la la la Ebola
La la la la Ebola

skijunkie55
08-04-14, 16:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_WOR22-SnY

Irish
08-04-14, 16:17
Thass no good...

https://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/screen-shot-2014-08-04-at-4-16-49-pm.png

tb-av
08-04-14, 16:37
Person with gastro distress in NY hospital with Ebola like symptoms... per 5 O'Clock news.

The_War_Wagon
08-04-14, 17:15
M-A-L-A Malaria...

SOUNDS like a job for Roland, the headless Thompson gunner... :rolleyes:

tb-av
08-04-14, 17:45
Now they are saying... "move along... nothing to see here folks"

skydivr
08-04-14, 18:03
"Tested" isn't the same as "CONFIRMED"....we'll see...gonna be a lot of false warnings now doubt..

Whiskey_Bravo
08-04-14, 18:05
Person with gastro distress in NY hospital with Ebola like symptoms... per 5 O'Clock news.

http://7online.com/health/mount-sinai-patient-tested-for-ebola-virus/239663/

ST911
08-04-14, 18:08
Threads merged.

Denali
08-04-14, 18:34
"Tested" isn't the same as "CONFIRMED"....we'll see...gonna be a lot of false warnings now doubt..

Precisely! This is from my post on page 7, this is the real deal in Lagos, and Lagos is twice the size of NYC(21,000,000 residents)with medical care about on par with that available anywhere else in western Africa, in other words, little to none,

This is very bad news

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...rld-topstories
Nigerian authorities on Monday confirmed a second case of Ebola in Africa's most populous country, an alarming setback as officials across the region battle to stop the spread of a disease that has killed more than 700 people.

Also Monday, health authorities in Liberia ordered that all those who die from Ebola be cremated after communities opposed having the bodies buried nearby. Over the weekend, health authorities in the West African country encountered resistance while trying to bury 22 bodies in Johnsonville, outside the capital Monrovia. Military police helped restore order.

In Nigeria, Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said test samples are pending for three other people who had shown symptoms of Ebola, and that authorities are trying to trace and quarantine others. The confirmed second case in Nigeria is a doctor who had helped treat Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American man who died July 25 days after arriving in Nigeria from Liberia.

"Three others who participated in that treatment who are currently symptomatic have had their samples taken and hopefully by the end of today we should have the results of their own test," Chukwu said.

The emergence of a second case raises serious concerns about the infection control practices in Nigeria, and also raise the specter that more cases could emerge. It can take up to 21 days after exposure to the virus for symptoms to appear. They include fever, sore throat, muscle pains and headaches. Often nausea, vomiting and diarrhea follow, along with severe internal and external bleeding in advanced stages of the disease.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-04-14, 19:21
The doctor and 3 more that were involved in the American's treatment now probably all of Ebola? WTF are they doing? If this is only transmitted by bodily fluid they are doing something wrong.

tb-av
08-04-14, 19:45
Has anyone published a model of infection or whatever it's called. Based on how things are going and what is/can be done. A model of the likely spread in Africa and elsewhere? Outbreak model? I don't know what it's called.

SteveS
08-04-14, 21:20
Lo

That's what they all say...... until the zombies come. Zombies are real . They are the Obama voters.

ABNAK
08-05-14, 08:04
The problem with "screening" passengers on outbound flights from Africa and upon arrival in the U.S. is that it appears to rely heavily (not solely) on the "honor" system of the person telling you he has flu-like symptoms. Sure, you may get a few honest "I don't want it spreading and be the cause of it" folks but you're likely going to get more who are looking out for number 1. Speak up in Africa and you don't get out, speak up here and you get slapped in quarantine. Some POS wild-eyed with fear 'cause he feels sick isn't going to fess up until his sorry ass shows up at an ER and he thinks he's past all the bullshit.

Double3
08-05-14, 08:36
Something to make you think.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-04/25-critical-facts-about-ebola-outbreak-every-american-needs-know

Sensei
08-05-14, 08:49
Something to make you think.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-04/25-critical-facts-about-ebola-outbreak-every-american-needs-know

About 1/3 of those points were incorrect or misleading. Specifically, numbers 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 19 immediately jumped out at me. There are several others that are partially true, but spun in a way that is misleading.

tb-av
08-05-14, 08:50
That's what I was talking about... so it's already gone exponential, now I wonder what the projections are?

I'll tell you what else I'd like to know.

Let's say with this new drug they 'cure' these two people. Well ok, I trust the knowledgeable doctors. they know how the disease works and if it's present or not. But the drug is experimental. What possibility may exist that they, after returning to society, develop the virus again or some alteration of it that? In other words, in 'curing' these two people are they possibly, through this experimental drug, introducing a new virus in the future which they can not foresee yet. They sure can't keep these two people in isolation for the rest of their lives.

ColtSeavers
08-05-14, 09:42
That's what I was talking about... so it's already gone exponential, now I wonder what the projections are?

I'll tell you what else I'd like to know.

Let's say with this new drug they 'cure' these two people. Well ok, I trust the knowledgeable doctors. they know how the disease works and if it's present or not. But the drug is experimental. What possibility may exist that they, after returning to society, develop the virus again or some alteration of it that? In other words, in 'curing' these two people are they possibly, through this experimental drug, introducing a new virus in the future which they can not foresee yet. They sure can't keep these two people in isolation for the rest of their lives.

I get what you're saying, a current treatment resistant super bug like insects and other bacteria/diseases/viruses. Yeah, scary thought.

I just still don't understand why the test is via use of the experimental drug treatment and not a simple blood under super microscope affair.

TAZ
08-05-14, 11:25
The doctor and 3 more that were involved in the American's treatment now probably all of Ebola? WTF are they doing? If this is only transmitted by bodily fluid they are doing something wrong.

Where is this info coming from?? Haven't heard anything about the docs treating the Americans now getting it.

skijunkie55
08-05-14, 11:51
http://www.wkrn.com/story/26201803/46-year-old-woman-hospitalized-tested-for-possible-ebola

A local woman is being tested for the Ebola virus after a recent trip to a foreign country.

According to the Columbus Public Health Department, the 46-year-old woman is currently in isolation in a local hospital with a potential case of the Ebola virus.

The woman had recently returned from a trip to a foreign country that is affected by the Ebola virus outbreak.

She is reportedly “doing well” in her recovery.

A sample has been sent to the CDC for examination.

Denali
08-05-14, 12:27
Where is this info coming from?? Haven't heard anything about the docs treating the Americans now getting it.

This is the second time that I have re-posted this link within the thread, from post number 155,

This is very bad news

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...rld-topstories

While everyone is focusing on the hysterics popping up at USA ER's and hospitals, there have been genuine developments in places that we really don't want there to be any, such as in Lagos Nigeria which has a population double that of NYC. There, the doctor that treated American, "Patrick Sawyer" after he was placed in isolation has been confirmed to have come down with the evil bug, while three others strongly suspected of being infected are currently awaiting their blood tests results! This is cause for fear in myself, because Lagos has a very very busy international airport, with departures worldwide hourly, more importantly, it has a brutally primitive health care infrastructure in place, marginally above the ones in Sierra Leone, and Monrovia Liberia! Further, they have not been able to track down all of those that were on the three hour flight with him as he was highly symptomatic with Ebola. If the bug breaks out in Lagos as it at has elsewhere in West Africa, meaning that even just a pair of cases gets by their screening efforts, it would be all but impossible to effectively contain it.

BTW, I wonder how many realize just how remarkable it was that the FDA allowed that the two American Missionaries infected with Ebola be allowed that experimental serum? Such action is beyond rare, virtually on par with the odds of winning powerball or some such lottery game. I remain very intrigued by that action, by the speed with which it was made, apparently almost instantly....

HK51Fan
08-05-14, 13:10
up to 21 days is a long incubation period and there is a strain that is aerosol

HK51Fan
08-05-14, 13:17
I don't think it's god forsaken at all. I think it has some tribal issues that are exacerbated by gov'ts and western businesses...oil, banking, etc......

Denali
08-05-14, 13:19
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-outbreak-could-be-much-worse-than-thought/

The worst outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in history could actually be much worse than the official death toll reflects. Already, the World Health Organization says 887 people have died, but a top doctor working at the heart of the outbreak in West Africa says many cases are going unreported.

The senior doctor, who works for a leading medical organization in Liberia, explained to CBS News' Debora Patta that what has helped set this outbreak apart from previous ones is the virus' spread in urban areas.

One of the epicenters of the disease is the Liberian capital of Monrovia, home to about a million people, or almost a quarter of the country's population.

The doctor, who spoke to CBS News on condition of confidentiality, said the disease is spinning out of control in Africa partly because it is extremely difficult to contain it in a sprawling, congested city center.

Common sense dictates that this is the case all over West Africa, and that the true scope of the infections likely runs in the thousands. One thing of particular curiosity would be the wildly fluctuating figures revolving around the percentage of deaths. Consider, the infection/death rate in Guinea is running at about 70% and it has never fluctuated off of that rate, while both Sierra Leone & Liberia seem to be running at 40-45%, a significant decrease to say the least. But common sense indicates otherwise, the quality of care is virtually identical in any of those West African nations, and if it is the same, why then the wild disparities in death rates?

Either there are two strains of Ebola, or somebody is fudging the numbers, I'd wager its the latter....

The official Ebola death toll jumped from 729 to 887 on Monday as Liberia confirmed dozens of new cases, but the doctor told us he believes the real number is at least 50 percent higher.

montanadave
08-05-14, 13:24
BTW, I wonder how many realize just how remarkable it was that the FDA allowed that the two American Missionaries infected with Ebola be allowed that experimental serum? Such action is beyond rare, virtually on par with the odds of winning powerball or some such lottery game. I remain very intrigued by that action, by the speed with which it was made, apparently almost instantly....

Some additional info in this Atlantic website article (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/the-secret-ebola-treatment/375525/) speculating they may have received this monoclonal antibody treatment under the FDA's "compassionate use" provision: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForPatientAdvocates/AccesstoInvestigationalDrugs/ucm176098.htm

Denali
08-05-14, 14:43
Some additional info in this Atlantic website article (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/the-secret-ebola-treatment/375525/) speculating they may have received this monoclonal antibody treatment under the FDA's "compassionate use" provision: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForPatientAdvocates/AccesstoInvestigationalDrugs/ucm176098.htm

This just fascinates me, the speed with which this was green lighted by FDA. Clearly it is great big bonus to have CDC trumpeting your case, regardless the floodgates are open and this cocktail is going to now be in line for some serious funding...

Sometimes, even when an expanded access program has been established, there may not be enough of a drug available for all patients requesting access. Some companies establish lotteries to determine which patients will have treatment access, while others make the determination on a case-by-case basis.

jpmuscle
08-05-14, 15:12
So who owns MAPP biopharmaceuticals?

montanadave
08-05-14, 15:13
This just fascinates me, the speed with which this was green lighted by FDA. Clearly it is great big bonus to have CDC trumpeting your case, regardless the floodgates are open and this cocktail is going to now be in line for some serious funding...

I'm guessing there's a bidding war going on right now. The monoclonal antibody, zMapp, was developed by a small biotech named Mapp Biopharmaceutical in San Diego, in conjunction with a Canadian firm, Defryus, Inc, with funding from both the U.S. and Canadian governments. But the license for the treatment goes to a Leaf Biopharmaceutical, the commercialization partner of Mapp (http://www.mappbio.com/ZMAb.pdf).

Another story providing some additional background on these companies and the research: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/04/us-health-ebola-tekmirastock-idUSKBN0G420P20140804

I'm guessing there are a few principals and venture capitalists associated with these firms that are licking their chops about now, waiting for the phone to ring from big pharma with a very sweet offer.

Sensei
08-05-14, 15:38
I don't think it's god forsaken at all. I think it has some tribal issues that are exacerbated by gov'ts and western businesses...oil, banking, etc......

Clearly. I can see where portions of the continent have real potential as vacation destinations. Come see the AIDS, experience the malaria...

montanadave
08-05-14, 15:40
British Airways announces they are suspending flights to and from Liberia and Sierra Leone: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28663833

I wonder if I can get Air Malaria to exchange my tickets?

TAZ
08-05-14, 15:53
This is the second time that I have re-posted this link within the thread, from post number 155,

Sorry. I misunderstood the post re the doctors. Though it was referencing the CDC docs not the ones from Africa.

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-14, 16:34

Did you watch either of the documentaries I posted on page 7 about Liberia?

TIA = F U B A R . . .

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-14, 16:35
So who owns MAPP biopharmaceuticals?

I'm gonna just go out on a limb here and say its someone who is either related to someone or is deeply involved with the GOP and or the DNC.

SilverBullet432
08-05-14, 21:35
well shit. Time to pack up.

montanadave
08-05-14, 21:39
well shit. Time to pack up.

Here, read this and chill a little: http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2014/08/02/ebola-is-already-in-the-united-states/

Denali
08-05-14, 22:28
Here, read this and chill a little: http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2014/08/02/ebola-is-already-in-the-united-states/

Friends, I have news for you: Ebola is *already* in the US.

Exactly! Further, here we are more then capable of shutting down its fairly restricted means of propagating itself through human hosts, and its here that the best minds in the field generally do their thing. I have no fear whatsoever of a couple of missionaries being treated and studied right here in the states for their Ebola infections, what does frighten me however, are the thoughts of Ebola entering into the likes of Lagos Nigeria where its 21,000,000 residents have virtually the same level of medical care and infection control sophistication as they do in Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia, which is to say none at all. That can provoke a bit of a pucker factor, where its entirely possible for the virus to find itself with millions of virtually defenseless, cozy new hosts from which it can work at perfecting its method of propagation into something much more efficient, something much more difficult to eradicate.

That is what scares me, well that and the new "bas-congo fever" which is a virtual cross between Ebola and Rabies, with an entirely unknown means of transmission or where it calls home.....:)

Kyohte
08-05-14, 23:07
...That is what scares me, well that and the new "bas-congo fever" which is a virtual cross between Ebola and Rabies...

Not really. The only thing bas-congo virus shares with rabies (lyssavirus) is that it is in the same family Rhabdoviridae. To give comparison to other things that are in the same family, a human is a virtual cross between a gorilla and an orangutan.

I'm getting tired of all the scaremongering on the news about this.

Having some background in virology and microbiology, the Ebola patients coming to the U.S. doesn't bother me at all. I think it is the least we could do for our citizens who were over there helping people. As the science blog mentioned, there are already other deadily viruses already in labs here (or in the wild such as hantavirus). There are also other nasty diseases in other countries that could make their way here. I think Outbreak really started the big emphasis on Ebola; it's a brutal infection, with a particularly gruesome set of symptoms. However, its same nature limits its spread, particularly in the West. The news also reports Ebola as ~60% mortality rate with care. Remember where Ebola occurs and what "care" constitutes in these regions. The mortality rate of Ebola when treated with true Western medicine remains more-or-less unknown; though the cases of the two doctors show much promise. Another scare tactic is the fact that there is no vaccine or "cure". One of the biggest issues facing an Ebola vaccine or cure is money. Drug discovery and vaccine development take a lot of time and research investment. No one is going to work particularly hard to find a cure for a disease that, until now, has affected very few people in a very poor region. Even with the recent outbreak, Ebola deaths compared to most other deadly, more readily communicable viruses are orders of magnitude lower. For example, rabies kills around 55,000 people a year world-wide. This is a disease that already has a vaccine. However, in the U.S., rabies deaths are very low (< 100 per year typically). The flu, which is easily communicable, kills over 200,000 people a year. It has much more potential for mutation due to its nature (in fact, we see a new one or three just about year). From a virology perspective, influenza is much more scary than Ebola.

Denali
08-05-14, 23:28
Not really. The only thing bas-congo virus shares with rabies (lyssavirus) is that it is in the same family Rhabdoviridae. To give comparison to other things that are in the same family, a human is a virtual cross between a gorilla and an orangutan.

Having some background in virology and microbiology, the Ebola patients coming to the U.S. doesn't bother me at all. I think it is the least we could do for our citizens who were over there helping people. As the science blog mentioned, there are already other deadily viruses already in labs here (or in the wild such as hantavirus). There are also other nasty diseases in other countries that could make their way here. I think Outbreak really started the big emphasis on Ebola; it's a brutal infection, with a particularly gruesome set of symptoms. However, its same nature limits its spread, particularly in the West. The news also reports Ebola as ~60% mortality rate with care. Remember where Ebola occurs and what "care" constitutes in these regions. The mortality rate of Ebola when treated with true Western medicine remains more-or-less unknown; though the cases of the two doctors show much promise. Another scare tactic is the fact that there is no vaccine or "cure". One of the biggest issues facing an Ebola vaccine or cure is money. Drug discovery and vaccine development take a lot of time and research investment. No one is going to work particularly hard to find a cure for a disease that, until now, has affected very few people in a very poor region. Even with the recent outbreak, Ebola deaths compared to most other deadly, more readily communicable viruses are orders of magnitude lower. For example, rabies kills around 55,000 people a year world-wide. This is a disease that already has a vaccine. However, in the U.S., rabies deaths are very low (< 100 per year typically). The flu, which is easily communicable, kills over 200,000 people a year. It has much more potential for mutation due to its nature (in fact, we see a new one or three just about year). From a virology perspective, influenza is much more scary than Ebola.

It was a bit of tongue in cheek....Frankly its remarkable you'd even run into another person who had ever even heard of "bas-congo" before....

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/09/12828/genetic-sleuthing-uncovers-deadly-new-virus-africa

“These are the only three cases known to have occurred, although there could be additional outbreaks from this virus in the future,” said Charles Chiu, MD, PhD, an assistant professor of laboratory medicine at UCSF and director of the UCSF-Abbott Viral Diagnostics and Discovery Center, who spearheaded the UCSF effort to identify the virus. Chiu and his team continue to work on new diagnostics to detect the virus so that health officials in Congo and elsewhere can quickly identify it should it emerge again.

One odd characteristic of the Bas-Congo virus, Chiu said, is that while a number of other viruses in Africa also cause deadly outbreaks of acute hemorrhagic fever — Ebola virus, Lassa virus and Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever virus to name a few — the new virus is unlike any of them.

Genetically it is more closely related to the types of viruses that cause rabies, which are known to infect people with a very different sort of disease — a neurological illness that is uniformly fatal if untreated but may take months to develop.

An antibody test developed in this study was applied to the one patient who survived and to others who had come into contact with him. It suggested that the disease may be spread from person to person but likely originated from some other source, such as an insect or rodent.

The identity of this animal “reservoir” and the precise mode of transmission for the virus remain unclear and are currently being investigated by Metabiota and the central African members of the consortium through the PREDICT Project of USAID’s Emerging Pandemic Threats Program.

Kyohte
08-05-14, 23:47
Frankly its remarkable you'd even run into another person who had ever even heard of "bas-congo" before.... I was in a field closely related to virology for a while. My research has taken me in a different direction now, but I still try to keep up with some of it since I find it interesting. I have friends that are actually working on an Ebola treatment, though they do not work with live virus.

Denali
08-06-14, 01:16
http://news.yahoo.com/bodies-dumped-streets-west-africa-struggles-curb-ebola-164345648--finance.html

This is what is frightening....

In Nigeria, which recorded its first death from Ebola in late July, authorities in Lagos said eight people who came in contact with the deceased U.S. citizen Patrick Sawyer were showing signs of the deadly disease.

The outbreak was detected in March in the remote forest regions of Guinea, where the death toll is rising. In neighboring Sierra Leone and Liberia, where the outbreak is now spreading fastest, authorities deployed troops to quarantine the border areas where 70 percent of cases have been detected.

Those three countries announced a raft of tough measures last week to contain the disease, shutting schools and imposing quarantines on victim's homes, amid fears the incurable virus would overrun healthcare systems in one of the world's poorest regions.

In Liberia's ramshackle ocean-front capital Monrovia, still scarred by a 1989-2003 civil war, relatives of Ebola victims were dragging bodies onto the dirt streets rather than face quarantine, officials said.

Denali
08-06-14, 11:41

Speaking of scaremongering,

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/08/05/jefferson-county-health-officials-warn-about-rabbit-fever/

Health officials in Jefferson County are warning the public to stay away from sick or dead rabbits because they may have “rabbit fever,” a disease that can infect humans.
It’s a disease of rabbits and beavers and rodents. It can be life-threatening in people, but if proper precautions are taken, the chances of getting it are pretty low.
Dave Volkel has been hunting for rabbits, but not just any rabbits.
“We’re looking for dead rabbits,” Volkel said.
If he finds one he’ll bag it and drop it in his cooler.
“I’ve got some ice that will keep it from going bad,” he said.
Volkel is an environmental health specialist with Jefferson County Public Health. He’s looking for rabbit carcasses to take to a lab for testing. He wants to see if the rabbits are dying from tularemia, a bacterial disease, which he says is common.

Now you need to worry about "bunny rabbit" fever, whats the world come too?

tb-av
08-06-14, 12:01
Now you need to worry about "bunny rabbit" fever, whats the world come too?

Actually that is warned about in the book "Bushcraft". He spends two pages on it and suggests people become thoroughly familiar with it.

cinco
08-06-14, 12:09
Interesting article on the air ambulance that transported the Ebola victims.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-amazing-jet-will-transport-ebola-victims-from-afri-1614420685

For the flight to Liberia, Phoenix Air's Gulfstream III will most likely be outfitted with a modular Aeromedical Biological Containment System, a tent-like plastic structure that is provided with negative air pressure to keep pathogens from entering the cabin. This is in addition to the jet's already extensive medical equipment that can be configured to treat and monitor the patient's unique symptoms during a flight.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--pRAGb4M4--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/iwzf7wnjf410nsvl0c4z.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Ytc6vCZp--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ozvex5efbdbtomrfx7n1.jpg

Although Phoenix Air is known as a top tier air ambulance service, with specialized capabilities, and the company does take on some pretty wild missions that take their crews to some strange places (their other GIII is currently at a pretty obscure locale), the DoD does have the ultimate specialized military unit for this type of mission.

The US Army's SMART-AID, Special Medical Augmentation Response Team- Aeromedical Isolation Team, part of the US Army's Medical Research Institute For Infectious Diseases, is the Pentagon's crack outfit that was established to carry out this exact kind of task, even in a war zone environment. They are equipped with top of the line equipment and have been on high alert during the Global War On Terror. Seeing as this is the first time an Ebola patient has been brought to the United States, one would think that such a unit would want to handle the mission instead of a government air ambulance contractor.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--w1LZmsD---/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/cogbta2nsjmjqdylpyd5.jpg

Denali
08-06-14, 12:41
Actually that is warned about in the book "Bushcraft". He spends two pages on it and suggests people become thoroughly familiar with it.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5109a1.htm

During 1990--2000, a total of 1,368 cases of tularemia were reported to CDC from 44 states, averaging 124 cases (range: 86--193) per year; 807 cases (59%) were reported as confirmed and 85 cases (6%) were reported as probable; the status of 476 cases is unknown. Most (91%) unclassified cases were reported during 1990--1992; all cases during 1990--1991 and 54% of cases from 1992 were not classified. The number of cases reported annually did not decrease substantially during the lapse in status as a notifiable disease during 1995--1999, but an increase in reporting occurred during 2000, when notifiable status was restored. Four states accounted for 56% of all reported tularemia cases: Arkansas (315 cases [23%]), Missouri (265 cases [19%]), South Dakota (96 cases [7%]), and Oklahoma (90 cases [7%]).

At an average of just 124 cases per year, Tularemia is very unlikely to introduce itself to you, and if it does, it responds very well to treatment with Doxycycline.....

TomD
08-06-14, 12:43
Rabbit fever (tularemia) is certainly nothing new. It was in the jackrabbit population here in central TX in the 50s. No jacks anymore. Think the fire ants got 'em. Now that's a scourge worthy of conversation!

No.6
08-06-14, 13:20
... Think the fire ants got 'em. Now that's a scourge worthy of conversation!

Amen! Not sure even turning it ALL to glass would stop those SOB's*!

*Small Obnoxious Biters

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-14, 14:52
The good thing about ants is they keep down the snake, scorpion, black widow, etc. populations. They eat EVERYTHING . . .

Denali
08-06-14, 15:54
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/health/africa-ebola-outbreak/index.html

A nurse in Nigeria. A businessman in Saudi Arabia. A Spanish priest in Liberia.
With the World Health Organization announcing Wednesday that 932 deaths had been reported or confirmed as a result of Ebola hemorrhagic fever, Saudi Arabia joined the list of countries with suspected cases.
"This is the biggest and most complex Ebola outbreak in history," Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said.
Nearly all of those deaths have been in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, where more than 1,700 cases have been reported, according to WHO. The agency said 108 new cases were reported between Saturday and Monday in those countries and Nigeria.
Photos: Ebola outbreak in West Africa Photos: Ebola outbreak in West Africa
Traveling into the Ebola epicenter Sierra Leone 'not able to deal' with Ebola
But concerns about the spread of the deadly virus escalated with Saudi Arabia reporting that a man died, apparently of the virus, after a trip to Sierra Leone, and Nigeria reported that a nurse died after treating someone believed to have contracted Ebola in Liberia.
WHO did not immediately confirm the deaths, and its count of Ebola cases does not include the two.
The Saudi man died Wednesday at a specialized hospital in Jeddah, the Saudi Ministry of Health said.
He had been in intensive care since late Monday "after exhibiting symptoms of viral hemorrhagic fever following a business trip to Sierra Leone," the ministry said in a statement.
The nurse in Nigeria had helped care for Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian-American man, who died in Nigeria after traveling there from Liberia, Nigeria's Ministry of Health said Wednesday.

That this bug has wormed its way into Lagos, where the government has manned up with the fact that they did not isolate Patrick Sawyer for the first day or so that he was there dying of Ebola, is cause for much concern. They have all but confessed to the fact that they have no way of tracking down everyone with whom the highly symptomatic Sawyer had had contact, particularly on that three hour flight from Liberia! Further, I'm suspicious that the numbers are being fudged in Sierra Leone & Liberia where apparently we are to believe most are now surviving infection, a scenario that makes little sense. I find it remarkable that the death rate in Guinea exceeds 70%, while that of Sierra Leone & Liberia is supposed to be 40-45%! That is just awfully hard to believe, and it leaves me wondering just how reliable all of the figures being tossed around really are....

Denali
08-06-14, 17:21
A much more pragmatic look at the whole "Ebola infected missionary doctor issue," well worth your attention spans....That is if you can stomach Ann Coulter...

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-08-06.html

I wonder how the Ebola doctor feels now that his humanitarian trip has cost a Christian charity much more than any services he rendered.

What was the point?

Whatever good Dr. Kent Brantly did in Liberia has now been overwhelmed by the more than $2 million already paid by the Christian charities Samaritan's Purse and SIM USA just to fly him and his nurse home in separate Gulfstream jets, specially equipped with medical tents, and to care for them at one of America's premier hospitals. (This trip may be the first real-world demonstration of the economics of Obamacare.)

There's little danger of an Ebola plague breaking loose from the treatment of these two Americans at the Emory University Hospital. But why do we have to deal with this at all?

Why did Dr. Brantly have to go to Africa? The very first "risk factor" listed by the Mayo Clinic for Ebola -- an incurable disease with a 90 percent fatality rate -- is: "Travel to Africa."

Can't anyone serve Christ in America anymore?

Frankly this is pretty damning....

williejc
08-07-14, 11:48
In Africa the E virus's very high lethality has limited its spread to some extent. Because our population is healthier to start with, and since we do have access to medical treatment, those infected with the E virus will have higher survival rates. One result is that the total reservoir holding the E germ will be very, very large, and simply put, the probability is infinitely greater that this stuff will spread. There will be more of it! This scenario would permit the time and great number of genetic replications for the E bug to mutate into an even deadlier strain. Remember that more than one strain already exists--from mutating.

Once this crap gets loose in the developed world, I think that it can spread throughout.

30 cal slut
08-07-14, 16:39
:rolleyes:

cinco
08-07-14, 16:53
Interesting the range of the specific fruit bat which is a known carrier.

https://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/20140807_ebola.jpg

Dead Man
08-07-14, 17:11
Up to 1711

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/

Still predicting full-scale nastiness over there. 100,000? 200,000? The population still doesn't even believe Ebola exists.

cinco
08-07-14, 21:24
Key word is "INEVITABLE"...

http://news.yahoo.com/ebolas-spread-us-inevitable-says-cdc-chief-205903838.html

Ebola's spread to US is 'inevitable' says CDC chief

"It is certainly possible that we could have ill people in the US who develop Ebola after having been exposed elsewhere," Frieden told a hearing of the House Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights and International Organizations.

"We are all connected and inevitably there will be travelers, American citizens and others who go from these three countries -- or from Lagos if it doesn't get it under control -- and are here with symptoms," he said.

Double3
08-08-14, 05:34
There is no reason a group could not purposefully infect themselves with Ebola then hop on separate planes heading to the US.

Sensei
08-08-14, 10:55
Interesting article on the air ambulance that transported the Ebola victims.

Do you think that they serve Bloody Marys on that flight?

What...too soon?

SteveS
08-08-14, 11:06
That would indeed complete the transition to third world status for us/US.
The people we have been electing over the years have been working on it. I am still thinking Agenda 21 depopulation.

No.6
08-08-14, 12:09
Do you think that they serve Bloody Marys on that flight?

What...too soon?

http://youtu.be/9CdVTCDdEwI

R/Tdrvr
08-08-14, 12:56
There is no reason a group could not purposefully infect themselves with Ebola then hop on separate plans heading to the US.

I discussed this with folks at work. What would stop, say a jihadi type, from getting infected, travel to the US (crossing our wide open southern border) and then detonating themselves to not just kill people in the blast but spread their infected guts and body parts all over the place?

Crow Hunter
08-08-14, 14:53
I discussed this with folks at work. What would stop, say a jihadi type, from getting infected, travel to the US (crossing our wide open southern border) and then detonating themselves to not just kill people in the blast but spread their infected guts and body parts all over the place?

What about someone doing serial needle stabbings. I have heard of people doing that that weren't terrorists. Just stabbing people at random.

I don't know if a needle could be used to transmit but it does sound scary to me.

Can you imagine if they got 2 or 3 people infected into our current stream of Central American "refugees" and the resulting vectors got spread all across the US into holding areas?

TAZ
08-08-14, 15:17
Irony: the CDC sees it as inevitable that some legal traveler could travel out of the hot zone and arrive in the US or other industrialized nation and cause the disease to spread. But at the same time it's unthinkable to ban travel into, out of and through the hot zones.

Seems to me that maybe isolating continent for a couple of months might not be such a bad idea. Allow medical flights in and out to help aid workers get meds and help in. The rest can stay put for a while.

Denali
08-08-14, 16:37

The obstacles to such a scenario are fairly substantial, though it is a possibility to be considered. A much more likely scenario would simply revolve around obtaining a few dozen vials of hyper hot tissues lifted from a single, fresh Ebola killed corpse, a task currently made easy, considering that Liberians are now just dumping the dead in the roadways. Such a collection would allow for the terrorist organization to then establish themselves a small field laboratory in which they could theoretically now nurture their specimen in virtual perpetuity, feeding it, keeping it warm, or freezing it into slumber, then at their leisure perfecting a crude but effective means of delivery of the virus into whatever region they have targeted. This would eliminate the vast unknowns associated with individual cases of intentional suicide infections where the terrorist(s) would be subject to the two to twenty one day window of incubation, and in all likelihood would be to incapacitated by Ebola to actually carry out a mission. Consider this, the period at the end of any of these sentences, could contain upwards of 100,000,000 particles of Ebola virus, so imagine the possibilities contained within a single human corpse, brought down via Ebola infection, or any of over two dozen other nasty viruses for that matter...

williejc
08-09-14, 01:33
I hope that cremation of the E dead will be required here. As Denali pointed out, there are many ways to acquire infected E tissue "over there". Who knows? Infected dead bodies could be shipped to this country under false circumstances using fake paperwork. Egypt to Madrid to NYC. or Algeria to France to Atlanta.

Denali
08-09-14, 12:00
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/08/07/Feds-Bend-CDC-Rules-for-Sick-Illegal-Immigrants

Individuals and families immigrating to the U.S. legally are required to pay for and undergo medical examinations by approved physicians; those who are deemed as having "inadmissible health-related conditions" are not allowed into the country. But the same standards are not applied to illegal immigrants, many of whom remain in the U.S. despite testing positive for diseases that would prevent law-abiding migrants from entering.
The current border crisis has involved tens of thousands of Central Americans entering the U.S. illegally. Some of these individuals have tested positive for illnesses including tuberculosis, chicken pox, and other viruses--despite this, most of them are not immediately deported. Rather, they stay and receive medical care subsidized by U.S. taxpayers.
Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet--a preventive medicine physician, the former Director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, and a recipient of a 2014 Ellis Island Medal of Honor--told Breitbart Texas, "Legal immigrants are required to pay for medical exams and screening tests conducted by approved physicians before they arrive here. They're not arriving in the U.S. carrying diseases, and then being dispersed into cities across the nation."
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), all legal immigrants must be screened and approved before entering the U.S. The agency states on its website, "The health-related grounds for inadmissibility include persons who have a communicable disease of public health significance, who fail to present documentation of having received vaccination against vaccine-preventable diseases, who have or have had a physical or mental disorder with associated harmful behavior, or who are a drug abuser or an addict."
But the same rules apparently do not apply to illegal immigrants.

How encouraging....

tb-av
08-09-14, 13:00
May be in Toronto now....

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/08/08/brampton_civic_hospitals_patient_sparks_ebola_worries.html

Moose-Knuckle
08-09-14, 16:17
The people we have been electing over the years have been working on it. I am still thinking Agenda 21 depopulation.

Well that is one way . . .

Denali
08-12-14, 12:18
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/10/339334703/west-african-border-crossings-on-lockdown-amid-ebola-spread

The BBC also quoted an unnamed official from the aid group Doctors Without Borders as saying that Liberia has underrepresented the figures on infections and that its health system was "falling apart."

Lindis Hurum, an emergency coordinator for the private aid organization in Liberia, tells NPR's Jason Beaubien that in the Liberian capital, Monrovia, the situation is "catastrophic" with at least 40 health workers infected in recent weeks.

"Most of the city's hospitals are closed, and there are reports of dead bodies lying in streets and houses," Hurum says.

As I suspected from the wide ranging disparity in so-called fatality rates, from one third world rat hole to the next...There is no way that Sierra Leone or Liberia are experiencing a 40-45% fatality rate while Guinea's is, and has been a rock solid 70% with virtually the same level of medical care available, which is to say, little or none....

Moose-Knuckle
08-12-14, 15:11
As I suspected from the wide ranging disparity in so-called fatality rates, from one third world rat hole to the next...There is no way that Sierra Leone or Liberia are experiencing a 40-45% fatality rate while Guinea's is, and has been a rock solid 70% with virtually the same level of medical care available, which is to say, little or none....

And yet they're still allowing people to come and go. If UN, WHO, and all the other one worlder feel good groups really wanted to stop this thing they would have no fly zones implemented over those countries and a naval blockade off the coast.

Denali
08-12-14, 16:31
And yet they're still allowing people to come and go. If UN, WHO, and all the other one worlder feel good groups really wanted to stop this thing they would have no fly zones implemented over those countries and a naval blockade off the coast.

I have a strong inclination to distrust all of the figures being presented, its just not to bloody likely that these West African governments would wish to be all that forthcoming faced as they are with such an outbreak and its accompanying levels of panic, they barely have control of these regions during the best of times as it is. On the other hand, I don't have much more faith in the figures of the WHO, which after all is just a tentacle of the United Nations. The level of fatality's v rate of infections just don't seem to stack up, doctors speaking on condition of anonymity that the true scope is worse by at least a factor of 50% is not exactly a confidence builder....

Dead Man
08-12-14, 23:20
You can't cut off access to an entire country for a few hundred sick people. But don't think quarantining isn't going on.

Too little too late most of the time, I'm sure. What else can you do?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/12/world/africa/at-heart-of-ebola-outbreak-a-village-frozen-by-fear-and-death.html?_r=0

TAZ
08-13-14, 18:42
You can't cut off access to an entire country for a few hundred sick people. But don't think quarantining isn't going on.

Too little too late most of the time, I'm sure. What else can you do?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/12/world/africa/at-heart-of-ebola-outbreak-a-village-frozen-by-fear-and-death.html?_r=0

Actually, you can. It's not an issue of ability, but one of desire. Not sure it would be appropriate to do so, but there will come a time when we might have to in order to contain an epidemic. May not be for the current Ebola outbreak though.

Sensei
08-14-14, 02:14
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/world/africa/ebola-claims-another-sierra-leone-doctor.html?_r=0

Sierra Leone looses another top doctor.

Denali
08-15-14, 00:01
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/world/africa/ebola-claims-another-sierra-leone-doctor.html?_r=0

Sierra Leone looses another top doctor.

Here's a very curious report about the death of the first top Doctor and the decision of his colleagues not to try dosing him with Zmapp,

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/world/africa/ebola.html?action=click&contentCollection=Africa&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

The doctor who had been leading Sierra Leone’s battle against the Ebola outbreak was now fighting for his own life, and his international colleagues faced a fateful decision: whether to give him a drug that had never before been tested on people.

Would the drug, known as ZMapp, help the stricken doctor? Or would it perhaps harm or even kill one of the country’s most prominent physicians, a man considered a national hero, shattering the already fragile public trust in international efforts to contain the world’s worst Ebola outbreak?

The treatment team, from Doctors Without Borders and the World Health Organization, agonized through the night and ultimately decided not to try the drug. The doctor, Sheik Umar Khan, died a few days later, on July 29.

The doses of the drug that were not used were eventually sent to Liberia, where other doctors made the opposite decision — and two American aid workers became the first people in the world to receive ZMapp. Both of them survived and are now being treated at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

Frankly, I find their decision not to attempt treatment of him with Zmapp, highly questionable, at best!

Bolt_Overide
08-15-14, 07:41
Am I the only one who is seriously tired of "smart people" who think they are so ****ing smart that they got it all figured out and there is no way they can screw up? Everyone who was in on the decision to bring this ****ing plague to the states needs to be drug into the street and shot.

Denali
08-15-14, 12:25
http://news.yahoo.com/evidence-suggests-ebola-toll-vastly-underestimated-063107971.html

They keep coming back to this, many reports circulating in which doctors are insisting that the level of infections/deaths have been under reported, here the WHO, which is an arm of the UN, uses the words "vastly under reported!" Just yesterday, the WHO also had issued an alert that Kenya needed to be listed as a high risk destination because they were continuing to run daily flights into and out of the hot zones, which later in the day they retracted, apparently following some harsh responses from the Kenyan government.

Staff with the World Health Organisation battling an Ebola outbreak in West Africa see evidence the numbers of reported cases and deaths vastly underestimates the scale of the outbreak, the U.N. agency said on its website on Thursday.

The death toll from the world's worst outbreak of Ebola stood on Wednesday at 1,069 from 1,975 confirmed, probable and suspected cases, the agency said. The majority were in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, while four people have died in Nigeria.

The agency's apparent acknowledgement the situation is worse than previously thought could spur governments and aid organisations to take stronger measures against the virus.

"Staff at the outbreak sites see evidence that the numbers of reported cases and deaths vastly underestimate the magnitude of the outbreak," the organisation said on its website.

My take on this is that, either they are trying to grind the industrialized nations for increased donations by stoking the fears of spread, or that in fact they are offering the first glimpses into the true scope and magnitude of the outbreak. I know one thing, I personally am having a hard time buying into the wide disparity in rate of infections v rate of fatalities between Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia, where Guinea is embroiled in an epidemic that is killing 70%, while the other two are reporting just 35-40%, that just doesn't strike me as very trustworthy....

Here's the Kenyan "Daily Nation" reporting of the WHO classifying the nation as high risk(prior to the WHO retracting the classification),

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kenya-in-high-risk-category-for-Ebola-spread-WHO/-/1056/2417514/-/cfo9ym/-/index.html

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has categorised Kenya as a high-risk area for Ebola transmission.

WHO representative in Kenya Dr Custodia Mandhate said Kenya is classified as level 2, which means a high-risk area for the transmission category.

Sensei
08-15-14, 13:36
Here's a very curious report about the death of the first top Doctor and the decision of his colleagues not to try dosing him with Zmapp,

Frankly, I find their decision not to attempt treatment of him with Zmapp, highly questionable, at best!

As someone who knows a bit about science, that article has some red flags (aside from being published in the NY Slimes). It implies that the American doctors survived bcause of Zmapp which cannot be supported by the available evidence which is an N of 2 at this point. It would take a randomized control trial to determine Zmapp's efficacy against standard supportive therapy. I guessing that more than 250 people would be needed in the treatment arm to get enough power to draw any conclusions. Keep in mind that people with fatal illnesses are denied access to experimental treatments all the time in the US - that includes white people.

Denali
08-15-14, 15:54
As someone who knows a bit about science, that article has some red flags (aside from being published in the NY Slimes). It implies that the American doctors survived bcause of Zmapp which cannot be supported by the available evidence which is an N of 2 at this point. It would take a randomized control trial to determine Zmapp's efficacy against standard supportive therapy. I guessing that more than 250 people would be needed in the treatment arm to get enough power to draw any conclusions. Keep in mind that people with fatal illnesses are denied access to experimental treatments all the time in the US - that includes white people.

I wouldn't debate that, however, it doesn't look very good when applied to the perspective of the local population, much of whom are already responding to many of these caregivers as though they are sorcerers and witches dispensing curses....In other words at the stage of this infection where death most commonly occurs, it probably wasn't the best idea to withhold the dose from him, if not just from a purely political perspective.

Sensei
08-15-14, 15:58
I wouldn't debate that, however, it doesn't look very good when applied to the perspective of the local population, much of whom are already responding to many of these caregivers as though they are sorcerers and witches dispensing curses....In other words at the stage of this infection where death most commonly occurs, it probably wasn't the best idea to withhold the dose from him, if not just from a purely political perspective.

I would not be surprised if the deceased was involved in the decision.

Denali
08-15-14, 18:03
I would not be surprised if the deceased was involved in the decision.

Entirely possible, and I am in no way implying that the decision was politically motivated, in fact just the opposite, it doesn't appear that politics were involved at all, as perhaps they should have been, after all, these are medical missionaries whom I imagine have altruistic motivations for being there in the first place, and perhaps little in the way of political acumen.

Denali
08-16-14, 18:26
More swell news from Liberia,

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jinamoore/two-days-after-it-opens-mob-destroys-ebola-center-in-liberia#w5ivcj

A mob descended on the center at around 5:30 p.m., chanting, “No Ebola in West Point! No Ebola in West Point!” They stormed the front gate and pushed into the holding center. They stole the few gloves someone had donated this morning, and the chlorine sprayers used to disinfect the bodies of those who die here, all the while hollering that Ebola is a hoax.
They ransacked the protective suits, the goggles, the masks. They destroyed part of Tarplah’s car as he was fleeing the crowd.
Jemimah Kargbo, a health care worker at a clinic next door, said they took mattresses and bedding, utensils and plastic chairs.
“Everybody left with their own thing,” she said. “What are they carrying to their homes? They are carrying their deaths.”
She said the police showed up but the crowd intimidated them.
“The police were there but they couldn’t contain them. They started threatening the police, so the police just looked at them,” she said.
And then mob left with all of the patients.
“They said, ‘The president says you have Ebola, but you don’t have Ebola, you have malaria. Get up and go out!’” Kargbo said.

The way things are going, Liberia is going to be significantly depopulated, the situation completely out of control...

Moose-Knuckle
08-16-14, 19:23
More swell news from Liberia,

The way things are going, Liberia is going to be significantly depopulated, the situation completely out of control...

West Point is the worst community in the worst country in the world. It is considered the most dangerous slum on Earth.

Check out this documentary, they actually go into West Point. Shit everywhere, the people literally squat and shit anywhere and everywhere. There is no way to manage a biological threat in an environment like that. It is for all sense and purposes an open sewer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo&list=PL2D3293A17F068F02

Denali
08-16-14, 20:30
West Point is the worst community in the worst country in the world. It is considered the most dangerous slum on Earth.

Check out this documentary, they actually go into West Point. Shit everywhere, the people literally squat and shit anywhere and everywhere. There is no way to manage a biological threat in an environment like that. It is for all sense and purposes an open sewer.

They showed up at the Ebola clinic, entered into it, boosting everything in sight, including it would seem linens contaminated with Ebola and a handful of Ebola patients in the throws of the illness, whom they then told, "there is no such thing as Ebola," go home or wander the streets, which they did, and they are!

Moose-Knuckle
08-16-14, 20:34
They showed up at the Ebola clinic, entered into it, boosting everything in sight, including it would seem linens contaminated with Ebola and a handful of Ebola patients in the throws of the illness, whom they then told, "there is no such thing as Ebola," go home or wander the streets, which they did, and they are!

LOL, Darwin awards all around. Something tells me we'll manage without them.

Denali
08-17-14, 11:45
LOL, Darwin awards all around. Something tells me we'll manage without them.

Here's an even better account of it,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/17/west-africa-liberia-ebola/14195347/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomworld-topstories

Liberian officials fear Ebola could soon spread through the capital's largest slum after residents raided a quarantine center for suspected patients and took items including blood-stained sheets and mattresses.

The violence in the West Point slum occurred late Saturday and was led by residents angry that patients were brought from other parts of the capital to the holding center, Tolbert Nyenswah, assistant health minister, said Sunday. It was not immediately clear how many patients had been at the center.

West Point residents went on a "looting spree," stealing items from the clinic that were likely infected, said a senior police official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the press. The residents took medical equipment and mattresses and sheets that had bloodstains, he said.

"All between the houses you could see people fleeing with items looted from the patients," the official said, adding that he now feared "the whole of West Point will be infected."

Some of the looted items were visibly stained with blood, vomit and excrement, said Richard Kieh, who lives in the area.

There's no way I can envision any scenario, short of a tactical nuke detonation, in which they contain the spread within West Point, if these accounts are accurate, if I was the WHO/UN, I'd cordon off the entire slum with gunships and allow the virus to simply run its course, this is exactly what virus experts in the West have been afraid of, the introduction of the Ebola virus into this, the worst slum in the Western hemisphere...I'd wager a kingly sum that within the natural incubation period of Ebola, they will have a minimum of several hundred infections raging completely unrestricted through that cesspool...

dentron
08-17-14, 12:17
Here's an even better account of it,

There's no way I can envision any scenario, short of a tactical nuke detonation, in which they contain the spread within West Point, if these accounts are accurate, if I was the WHO/UN, I'd cordon off the entire slum with gunships and allow the virus to simply run its course, this is exactly what virus experts in the West have been afraid of, the introduction of the Ebola virus into this, the worst slum in the Western hemisphere...I'd wager a kingly sum that within the natural incubation period of Ebola, they will have a minimum of several hundred infections raging completely unrestricted through that cesspool...
This. They need to forcibly quarantine the whole place.

Irish
08-17-14, 12:20
This. They need to forcibly quarantine the whole place.

Who is "they"? The UN? I don't have a lot of faith in those cats.

dentron
08-17-14, 12:34
The WHO or whatever governing body is trying to help/contain the outbreak. I personally dont care, if someone wants to help good for them. But I would shut off all to and from international traffic with any African country involved. And any other country that is having trouble containing the spread.

Irish
08-17-14, 12:37
The WHO or whatever governing body is trying to help/contain the outbreak. I personally dont care, if someone wants to help good for them. But I would shut off all to and from international traffic with any African country involved. And any other country that is having trouble containing the spread.

I'm with you, but I don't know how feasible it would truly be to restrict all traffic in and out of the country. That would a major undertaking.

dentron
08-17-14, 12:38
People go over there and try and help them, and this is how they act. Good riddance. They can sh*t ebola all over each other and rub the dead bodies ect. They dont want to be educated. So let it run its course. Human kind will be better off.

dentron
08-17-14, 12:48
I'm with you, but I don't know how feasible it would truly be to restrict all traffic in and out of the country. That would a major undertaking.
Yes it would be a major undertaking, but if it gets too much worse we may not have a choice.

Denali
08-17-14, 12:59

This is very interesting from my perspective,

The violence in the West Point slum occurred late Saturday and was led by residents angry that patients were brought from other parts of the capital to the holding center.

It would seem that someone over there, has a plan...

montanadave
08-17-14, 15:22
Given the paucity of medical resources and the overwhelming ignorance of the population regarding this disease, I predict a real horror show in the coming weeks and months as whole cities and regions are quarantined by national military forces or local militias, leaving those isolated to either survive the infection or die.

There is no other option to contain this epidemic when the public are unwilling to adhere to even the most basic public health policies.

SteveS
08-17-14, 16:00
The difference between a third world Sh@thole and the U.S.A is the people. Of the thousands of diseased illegals crossing our borders isn't the best thing to stop any spread of the nasties to the general population.

Denali
08-17-14, 17:44
Given the paucity of medical resources and the overwhelming ignorance of the population regarding this disease, I predict a real horror show in the coming weeks and months as whole cities and regions are quarantined by national military forces or local militias, leaving those isolated to either survive the infection or die.

There is no other option to contain this epidemic when the public are unwilling to adhere to even the most basic public health policies.

I'm beginning to see the potential of this as an extinction level event for parts of Liberia, I can't even imagine trying to contain such a highly infectious bug in those conditions, virtually analogous to pouring gasoline as a means of extinguishing a fire.

TAZ
08-18-14, 13:40
Stupid is as stupid does I guess. I have little sympathy for people who are lead to water and then choose to die of thirst. Its sad but what can you do.

If these kids of stupid things keep going on I won't feel bad if the international community pretty much shuns travel to and from Africa as a whole till the epidemic burns out.

Denali
08-18-14, 21:20
Liberia issues, "shoot on sight orders for anyone observed crossing borders!"

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/africa/2014/08/18/shoot-on-sight-order-in-ebola-wary-liberia.html

Liberia's armed forces have reportedly been given orders to shoot people trying to illegally cross the border from neighbouring Sierra Leone, which was closed to stem the spread of Ebola.

Soldiers stationed in Bomi and Grand Cape Mount counties, which border Sierra Leone, were to 'shoot on sight' any person trying to cross the border, said deputy chief of staff, Colonel Eric Dennis, according to local newspaper the Daily Observer.

The order comes after border officials reported people continued to cross the porous border illegally.

Grand Cape Mount county had 35 known 'illegal entry points,' according to immigration commander Colonel Samuel Mulbah.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/africa/2014/08/18/shoot-on-sight-order-in-ebola-wary-liberia.html#sthash.UlPHAh5D.dpuf

Sensei
08-18-14, 21:28

Well, I suppose that is one way to seal a border.

Denali
08-18-14, 21:34
Well, I suppose that is one way to seal a border.

I would imagine that in very short order, they could be doing the same for anyone observed leaving the West Point slum...

Denali
08-19-14, 11:58
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/8908bedc-54c8-4cb2-b392-d65c4756f063

The Ebola virus killed 84 people in just three days, bringing the global death toll to 1,229, the World Health Organization said Tuesday.

The death toll, which passed the 1,000-mark over a week ago, soared higher from last Thursday to Saturday.

The number of confirmed infections jumped by 113 over the three days, bringing the total number of cases to 2,240, the UN health agency said.

The epidemic, which has hit four west African nations since it broke out in Guinea at the start of the year, is by far the deadliest since Ebola was discovered four decades ago in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Liberia was the hardest-hit country in the latest figures, with 48 new cases and 53 deaths.

That lifted its total count of cases to 834, with 466 deaths.

In my opinion, with that slum now all but fully infected, we can expect figures to surge swiftly....

Moose-Knuckle
08-19-14, 15:35

Too bad we can't secure ours.

TAZ
08-19-14, 15:53
Too bad we can't secure ours.

To bad we CHOOSE to not secure ours. There is no can't there but a won't.

Moose-Knuckle
08-19-14, 15:58
To bad we CHOOSE to not secure ours. There is no can't there but a won't.

That was implied, as we don't have the balls to shoot people on site crossing borders.

Denali
08-19-14, 21:11
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EBOLA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-19-19-43-13

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf announced late Tuesday that a curfew is going into place from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Security forces also will be ensuring no one goes in or out of West Point, a slum in the capital where angry residents attacked an Ebola observation center over the weekend.

"We have been unable to control the spread due to continued denials, cultural burying practices, disregard for the advice of health workers and disrespect for the warnings by the government," she said. "As a result and due to the large population concentration the disease has spread widely in Monrovia and environs."

"May God bless us all and save the state," she later added.

I would wager that some of the folks in Liberian government are now actively lobbying for a fuel/air burst over that slum...

Moose-Knuckle
08-19-14, 21:16
I would wager that some of the folks in Liberian government are now actively lobbying for a fuel/air burst over that slum...

Fly a drone over, once you see no one twitch in 48hrs roast the site with thermobarics. The decomposing corpses are going to need to be incinerated anyhow.

Big A
08-20-14, 08:38
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/20/41a090caaf60ce2366768c7721f9e7c9.jpg