PDA

View Full Version : New 6920: Some Mags Won't Lock In (Problem Located)

Tomac
06-21-14, 08:39
Bought a new LE6920 for my son from CDNN. Went to the range this morning to sight it in after the usual clean/lube/prep. Sight-in was quick and easy using a 10rd Pmag.
His 6920 came w/4x30rd MSAR mags so I thought I'd try them out for possible range use. No go, all 4 mags won't lock into the magwell.
Thought to myself "crap mags, no wonder they were free" and loaded up a couple of Gen2 Pmags I had with me.
Surprise! Also no go, won't lock into the magwell whether or not the mag is loaded/empty or the bolt is open/closed.
Came home and tried some other mags: Lancers, Tango Down Mk2's and the 10rd Pmag lock but the MSAR & Gen2 Pmags won't.
Now, I have 3 other 6920's in the safe and all these mags will lock just fine.
So, any ideas as to why this particular 6920 doesn't like Pmags and what can be done to fix it? TIA!...
Tomac

Update: On a hunch I replaced the factory mag lock w/a Troy ambidextrous I was planning on installing anyway and now all mags lock just fine, so apparently I have a slightly out-of-spec mag lock. Any ideas on how to fix the factory mag lock so I can put it back as a spare?

SiGfever
06-21-14, 09:18
My new LE6920 is also tough to get the mags to seat. The empty new PMAG Gen2 30 rounder that came with it locks in easy. Same with a PMAG Gen3 20 rounder, but when full I have to give it a swift love tap on the bottom to get them to seat. A PMAG Gen1 30rndr also needs a good slap to seat it. The 30 rnd Tango Down MK2 empty goes right in as does a GI 30rnd empty. The cheap MSAR mags lock in fine empty but have not checked them yet loaded. The 30 rnd CProducts 30 rnd mags seat easy unloaded also. I am seeing the same thing with my new Mega lower w/ BCM upper and DD LPK.

HMsailor
06-21-14, 09:49
bolt open and slap them in

Tomac
06-21-14, 09:51
bolt open and slap them in

Doesn't help. As I mentioned earlier, the mags wouldn't lock in whether the bolt was open or closed.
Tomac

Scrubber3
06-21-14, 10:31
Glad you were able to get it squared away. I'd say to just ditch the part as there is no way to add metal it and it's a cheap enough part on its own to just grab a new one.

Tomac
06-21-14, 10:40
Glad you were able to get it squared away. I'd say to just ditch the part as there is no way to add metal it and it's a cheap enough part on its own to just grab a new one.

Thanks, and agreed.
Tomac

3 AE
06-21-14, 10:56
If you have calipers, measure the catch and compare it to the Troy or another catch that works. Write down the dimension(s) that are off and send the catch and info describing the problem back to Colt for replacement. Never know, they just might take care of you.

MistWolf
06-21-14, 11:29
It may be the factory mag latch was adjusted incorrectly

tog
06-21-14, 12:17
If you have calipers, measure the catch and compare it to the Troy or another catch that works. Write down the dimension(s) that are off and send the catch and info describing the problem back to Colt for replacement. Never know, they just might take care of you.

This. I would definitely let them know of the problem and expect a new part in return.